Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
If you think the Giants fans are mad, imagine the Yankee fans! Oh wait, you don't have to.

https://twitter.com/DKanner10/status/1605590769938550785

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Already posted but worth posting again. Something's fishy!!!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Amazing on that on the day Judge is named captain that dude decided his energy should go to complaining about Biden's America.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’m glad we’re engaging in good faith again and not just calling each other election deniers and implying we’re just motivated by dislike of the player.

Like am I wrong about Boras statements? Bawfuls made a good point that regardless of Correas health Boras would want to sign a new contract quickly before the market readjusts offers which would happen anyway I’d the Giants we’re out or less motivated. But am I wrong to read Boras’ statements as implying that this was a much longer process than we realized and the health concern in question was a known thing at least from Correa/Boras’s side?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Don't player medicals go through some kind of central MLB thing now? I don't remember how that works. I haven't heard the team saying that they just got his medicals or whatever, but that they wanted more time to review something with them and weren't ready to commit to the initial agreement.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Inspector_666 posted:

Amazing on that on the day Judge is named captain that dude decided his energy should go to complaining about Biden's America.

Today has been a remarkable microcosm of the Yankee/NY fanbase with the contrast of the Yankee Captain stuff vs the “Mets outspending Yankees, embarrassing!” stuff.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I’m glad we’re engaging in good faith again and not just calling each other election deniers and implying we’re just motivated by dislike of the player.

Like am I wrong about Boras statements? Bawfuls made a good point that regardless of Correas health Boras would want to sign a new contract quickly before the market readjusts offers which would happen anyway I’d the Giants we’re out or less motivated. But am I wrong to read Boras’ statements as implying that this was a much longer process than we realized and the health concern in question was a known thing at least from Correa/Boras’s side?

Scott Boras posted:

“It is not something that is a current issue,” Boras says. “It clearly is not something that has to do with his functionality. He’s played eight years in the major leagues. They asked for more time for their medical people to review. We agreed.”

to me that quote reads "the medical poo poo was an excuse, someone in the front office saw 350/13 and got the vapors"

giving them more time was just feeding them rope and being able to say you cooperated. i would bet that as soon as they said medical issue boras was already figuring out who to call once they pulled out

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Critical posted:

to me that quote reads "the medical poo poo was an excuse, someone in the front office saw 350/13 and got the vapors"

giving them more time was just feeding them rope and being able to say you cooperated. i would bet that as soon as they said medical issue boras was already figuring out who to call once they pulled out

See to me that’s Boras essentially confirming that there’s something the Giants were concerned about for his future performance but dismissing it as not having affected Correas performance in the past. And while it’s certainly possible that it simply is nothing that seems like a deflection without a denial to me.

It’s Correas health stuff we we might not ever even know what we’re talking about if everyone is ethical enough not to disclose it.

The more time negotiation was clear Boras working out an off ramp for a new deal. But it also seems to directly contradict the narrative that this was some kind of sudden shock to Correas camp. That seems to clearly be spin and my interpretation is that it’s purpose is to put the focus on SF’s unprofessionalism instead of the health stuff or timeline of negotiations.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

STAC Goat posted:

I just don't know what you're looking for here in terms of smoke. :shrug:

We know the Mets were courting Correa pretty hard before he got the offer with the Giants, right? So unless we know for sure this deal is substantially different than what the Mets were going to offer Correa anyway I don't think we can say any difference in price in the deal was because of some shady dealing to keep whatever Phantom Medical Issues the Giants may or may not have seen. And because we know the Mets were courting Correa hard it makes sense that that's who Correa ended up with when the Giants weren't playing ball - whether or not they had legitimate grievance - again, I side with players in these things, so I don't assume they do have legitimate grievance unless I have hard proof.

The fact that we already see mismanagement from the Giants vis-a-vis the fact that they had a press coference literally scheduled the same day at least lends some credence to the fact this was a management/ownership boondoggle. If they were trying to say there was a medical issue in order to renegotiate the contract (which, as pointed out in this thread, is not a historical anomaly for SF), then that's dirty pool no matter how you slice how the backup deal with the Mets was lined up.

e:

STAC Goat posted:

The more time negotiation was clear Boras working out an off ramp for a new deal. But it also seems to directly contradict the narrative that this was some kind of sudden shock to Correas camp. That seems to clearly be spin and my interpretation is that it’s purpose is to put the focus on SF’s unprofessionalism instead of the health stuff or timeline of negotiations.

Honest question, can it not be both things - the announcement that they wanted time could have come earlier, with the "we aren't moving forward with this" coming very later? There's talk about how SF didn't get back to them about stuff, it could be there was a delay between part one of "There was a medical issue we would like to look into" and part two being "SF is not moving forward with the contract which allows Correa to sign with the Mets"

Monathin fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 22, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Why would Boras want to get out of a deal for more money with a client, exactly?

also the Giants have not put out any statements denying what Boras' camp has said so far

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I think that guy got the wrong message from Glengarry Glen Ross.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I'm not sure how credible the source was, but I did see somebody earlier today talking about other Giants players being pissed about how this all broke down, too.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Its basically impossible to measure unless some future guy comes out and says "I removed the Giants from consideration/would only have signed with them for an extra 20 mil" but I can't imagine players league-wide are impressed with SF either

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The Giants have to overpay the crap out of some superstar in the next year to make up for losing Correa, or they're going to have to hope Correa injures himself so they can say "I told you so".

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

STAC Goat posted:

See to me that’s Boras essentially confirming that there’s something the Giants were concerned about for his future performance but dismissing it as not having affected Correas performance in the past. And while it’s certainly possible that it simply is nothing that seems like a deflection without a denial to me.

It’s Correas health stuff we we might not ever even know what we’re talking about if everyone is ethical enough not to disclose it.
There are certain things we do know: This is something that has been seen by all 4 teams who invested (or agreed to invest) at least $30m into Correa. It was a roadblock for only one of them. And that includes the Twins, who took on $100m in risk for what was functionally a one year deal.

We know that even if the issue has cropped up in his career, it hasn't stopped him from performing well enough to be offered and agree to 3 separate 9 figure deals. There's no particular reason to doubt that this predated his baseball career and hasn't come up since, outside of an extreme dislike for Boras and Correa.

STAC Goat posted:

Or Correa's camp expected the Giants to do what every other team (before and since) has done after reviewing his medicals: Close the deal.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The Giants have to overpay the crap out of some superstar in the next year to make up for losing Correa, or they're going to have to hope Correa injures himself so they can say "I told you so".

He wouldn't even need to get injured, it would have to be a David Wright-type of thing where he has a debilitating condition that was entirely separate from his playing career to justify what they're claiming.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why would Boras want to get out of a deal for more money with a client, exactly?

also the Giants have not put out any statements denying what Boras' camp has said so far

There’s nothing really to deny right? Boras isnt denying a medical concern and he’s basically saying “we pulled out of the deal”. There’s nothing for SF to say unless they go full character assassination and medical report disclosure. And that would be real bad. They just have to take the hits.

I don’t know why Boras would want to pull out but he did, didn’t he? There’s two simple explanations for that. The first that SF just burnt Correa enough that the relationship was ruined and he wanted out or that any kind of renegotiation would result in a lower value than the Mets deal either because of the health stuff or decreased market. It’s maybe both. But the question of why Correa took less money to play out of position is my very question. Why?

Monathin posted:

I just don't know what you're looking for here in terms of smoke. :shrug:

Honest question, can it not be both things - the announcement that they wanted time could have come earlier, with the "we aren't moving forward with this" coming very later? There's talk about how SF didn't get back to them about stuff, it could be there was a delay between part one of "There was a medical issue we would like to look into" and part two being "SF is not moving forward with the contract which allows Correa to sign with the Mets"

Of course. I’m not trying to argue “SF are the victims, Correa and Boras are the villains”. I’m trying to say this is a mess and I don’t really understand why we’re just accepting one side of the story that kind of contradicts itself and doesn’t actually address what broke up the contract. And specifically Boras seems to be saying he’s the one who pulled out of the deal at his set deadline. Now maybe if he hadn’t given SF that extension they would have pulled out days ago? And maybe the extension was a play to keep this quiet as he negotiated a new deal? Or maybe SF was gonna pull out of the deal regardless and was stringing them around? I dunno. It’s certainly very possible both parties behaved in bad faith. It’s possible neither did. I dunno. I just think it’s silly for us to repeat the “he had already got dressed!” kind of stuff and not at least consider that maybe there was an actual health concern SF was right to be concerned about and that Boras wanted ink dry on before someone else got concerned. Which isn’t even necessarily evil on Boras part. Like if he and Correa lied about something or pulled out of good faith negotiations that sucks. But also Boras job is to get his client the best deal so if that meant signing anew deal before some medical report spread then 🤷‍♂️

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Finally, exoneration for the Astros pulling out of the Aiken signing because they found something in his medicals and turned out to be right

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm not sure how credible the source was, but I did see somebody earlier today talking about other Giants players being pissed about how this all broke down, too.

It makes sense. They were excited for a new teammate, they were commiserating for Crawford losing his spot, it puts a cloud on the team's ability to get new big name free agents and also doubts on their own future contract negotiations

Intruder fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 22, 2022

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Obviously the Giants made some kind of mismanagement of the situation. But we’re literally just repeating back the spin coming out of the Boras/Correa camp and even that seems contradictory. So nonsense like “he was already dressed!” feels secondary to the idea that there was apparently some kind of potentially undisclosed health issue that derailed this deal seemingly a lot earlier than yesterday afternoon.
except it very clearly did NOT derail this deal a lot earlier than yesterday afternoon cause they canceled the press conference like an hour before it was set to start

please share with us your headcannon of events that transpired

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’ve repeatedly said I have no headcanon. I’m simply acknowledging that Boras said he negotiated some kind of extension and deadline for 1 PM so clearly the narrative that they were blindsided by SF yesterday afternoon is not true. No? We were blindsided. But we know next to nothing of what happened in this.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 22, 2022

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
- Correa and the Giants agreed to terms, and with agreement in place, Correa was off the market while they worked out the details, physicals, etc
- An hour before the conference the Giants abruptly announced the deal wasn't going through based on reported terms
- Boras confirmed with the Giants they did not intend to abide by the original contract terms and wanted to renegotiate, and as this was not the original agreed upon terms, that places Correa back on the open market. The Giants confirmed this.
- Uncle Steve signed Correa

Am I missing something? Did Boras do something nefarious? Because it seems like the Giants just hosed up massively and Boras did his job

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Congrats to baseball's first $500M player, Shohei Ohtani. That is until the Giants find out he had complications during his wisdom teeth extraction and welp Cohen sweeps in for $450MM.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
There's no way the Giants get out of this looking like pieces of poo poo unless Correa literally dies of Bonitis on opening day, and even then their offseason plans are hosed. They're other moves were just complimentary players to build a superstar around and now there are no superstars left on the open market and the Giants' farm system isn't good enough to trade for anyone even if there was anyone as good as Correa/Judge on the trading block.

This is obviously ownership balking at the last minute. They knew the Giants needed to do something to reverse the fan apathy and dragging attendance, and instead did the exact wrong thing. If Charles Johnson doesn't think a well-ran can make easily make the money to afford Correa he should sell the loving team.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i don't think charles johnson gets enough attention for what an absolute piece of poo poo he is.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

There's only one player the Giants can sign to turn this offseason around and he's ready to go.

It will also restart his HoF ballot eligibility. :getin:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

General Bullshit posted:

There's only one player the Giants can sign to turn this offseason around and he's ready to go.

It will also restart his HoF ballot eligibility. :getin:
That's right, Roger Clemens.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
https://twitter.com/jessespector/status/1605559696773025799?s=46&t=5QvyM0rHXW_frTHI_QFEaA

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1605772916745969665?t=Vv3mHstv-xXmg7KJNZnOjg&s=19

Alvarez Time

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

goodbye james, don't let the door hit ya where the lord split ya on the way out.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

fine, i guess i'll play catcher for the chicago cubs

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/Skip2MyJays/status/1605773676103745536

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What if Steve Cohen owned every team

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

always has

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The Universal Baseball Association, Inc., Steven A. Cohen, Prop.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

He's planning on it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Unclear if Alvarez is going to get significant time at catcher...they still have Narvaez who they signed for two years earlier this week, and also Tomas Nido who I guess is a guy a lot of starters like to pitch to

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

STAC Goat posted:

There’s nothing really to deny right? Boras isnt denying a medical concern and he’s basically saying “we pulled out of the deal”.

I don’t know why Boras would want to pull out but he did, didn’t he?

And specifically Boras seems to be saying he’s the one who pulled out of the deal at his set deadline

I can't be sure, ofc, but having just caught up on the thread, most of the people replying to you in this matter seem to be on the side of "it was the Giants that pulled out of the deal, not Boras and Correa", in direct opposition to your above assumptions.

Those are assumptions on their side, too, ofc... and as you say elsewhere, we're mostly getting the agent/player side of the story, but since the Giants are constrained by not wanting/being able to talk about Correa's personal medical details... well, there's gonna be some lingering mystery, for sure.

The fact that Correa ended up settling for 35 mil less and having to move over from SS to 3B makes me feel like he and Boras were settling for the 2nd best offer... which implies they didn't have access to the very best offer any more. Due to the Giants" decision, not theirs. <pure conjecture>

Edit: oh, and if the assumption is that the Giants lowered their offer due to whatever medical misgivings they now have, it seems like it lowered the quality of the new potential deal with them to below the Mets" offer, hence that now being Correa's preferred path for whatever reasons he has.

LongTimeFirstTime fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 22, 2022

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
STAC Goat I don't know what to tell you other than you seem to be defaulting to an owner-favoring narrative which is potentially the dumbest possible thing you could be defaulting to. :shrug:

candide
Jun 16, 2002

The Tipping Point
This article claims the Giants were concerned with Correa's previous ankle injury. You know, the ankle injury that required surgery and ended his season with the Twins Astros Lancaster JetHawks:

quote:

While Correa missed time early in his MLB career with a back injury, multiple league sources said the Giants had concerns about an ankle injury he suffered while in the minor leagues. In 2014, when he was a 19-year-old prospect with the Houston Astros, Correa injured his leg on a slide into third base in a High-A game. The Astros later announced that he underwent surgery on a fractured right fibula and a ligament.

However, the current Giants GM, Pete Putila, had spent his entire 12-year career with the Astros (going from intern to assistant GM) before the Giants hired him in October. Correa's injury history (at least up to 2021) should've been known well in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
wow, if theyre concerned about the fibula and not the back, theyre clearly just making some poo poo up because the owners got cold feet on actually spending money