Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

The Soviets were soft on Nazis after 1956 or so. They were seen as clowns who could never take power because everyone knew that they were not a threat.

Like the The literal last leader of UPA was let free after only 6 years in prison

PawParole has issued a correction as of 03:56 on Dec 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

just an endless bombardment of utter derangement from every angle

yunichel
Apr 27, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lzqUe1Qfec

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

PawParole posted:

The Soviets were soft on Nazis after 1956 or so. They were seen as clowns who could never take power because everyone knew that they were not a threat.

Like the The literal last leader of UPA was let free after only 6 years in prison

It is funny considering what also happened in 1956.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Realising the beginning of de-Stalinisation coincided with Ultranationists being released from prison is making my brain make funny noises

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DancingShade posted:

Zelensky looks exactly like the sort of tourist you find drinking early afternoon at a street bar table or directly at the bar spot with peak viewing angles. Slightly too small and slightly too smartly dressed. Slowly sipping his diplomatico with two ice while being very careful to wear his $20k watch at the best presentation angle for maximum peacocking.

Zelensky is a god drat hero you disrespectful son of a bitch. Take his name in vain again and I won't be held responsible for what I do

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

underlines the word "right" with a red ballpoint pen while making direct unblinking eye-contact w/ the audience

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

Ames is leaving out that the reporting would only run afoul of law if it obtained and released classified government documents that directly harm national security. So Swedish journalists can poo poo-talk the government and international relations all they like, with no legal repercussion. The controversy is Sweden removed protections for sources who provide classified documentation that harms national security to other countries. And who really wants to be the potential criminal test case for what classified docs qualify?

liberal democracies suppressing journalism and dissent to protect their MIC and imperial obligations? that's just national security bro. totally different from when the bad authoritarian countries do it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Endman posted:

Realising the beginning of de-Stalinisation coincided with Ultranationists being released from prison is making my brain make funny noises

Denouncing Stalin is what ultimately destroyed the USSR and I will never be convinced otherwise.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/Spriter0000/status/1604053606017253376

time for surface raiding cruisers to make a comeback

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Endman posted:

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ornmR4awug

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

Denouncing Stalin is what ultimately destroyed the USSR and I will never be convinced otherwise.
:same:
they have nothing on wide putin

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Endman posted:

coincided eh

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Endman posted:

They're called "crack-ping"s

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/IppAnastasiadis/status/1605663871922044930

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Perhaps included is a better word for it

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Organ Fiend posted:

They're called "crack-ping"s

That's done with, now is the time of *clunk*

the sound of my brain falling right out my rear end

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
That said, I do actually think Krushchev was more of a dupe (not far off from Gorby) than an open collaborator. I think a lot of it was that he thought that peaceful existence was actually possible and part of that was the Soviet Union to make the "first move" which was completely disastrous and only was seen as weakness by the United States.

I think more than some type of deeper conspiracy it goes back to I think an honest inferiority complex than existed in both Russian and Soviet culture that not only should Western tech be reverse-engineered but Western society has a whole should be modelled at all levels (even when it has lead to catastrophe.)

You can see it playing out at the moment, the Kremlin just was completely dumbfounded that the US would go so hard against it, and it has been a long learning curve for them to figure out it is not the case.

That said, at a certain point, looking at the Second World War, the Cold War, the disaster of the 1990s, and then what has occurred more recently than any deeper lesson will ever be learned.

(Notice that the PRC very clearly never had this issue to the same degree, even when Hu was in power, it was clear there were hard limits how much leeway he really had.)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The Russians mistakenly thought they could one day become white people, the Chinese have never suffered under this delusion yeah

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Slavvy posted:

The Russians mistakenly thought they could one day become white people, the Chinese have never suffered under this delusion yeah

Admittedly, there those who are able to "make the jump", there is a reason so much property in London is owned by Russians and so many people in Moscow desire a ridiculous accent in the "Queen's English." It is usually I never found them to be very happy, I guess you shouldn't meet your gods.

As for why someone from Moscow, a city that is both bigger and honestly has more going on than London, would downgrade...I just don't get it.

Suicidal stubbornness

I do think there will be a hard cap on how far Russian can really go as long as they can't break free from the "big fantasy."

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Then maybe it wasn't worth preserving.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

evilmiera posted:

:gb2gbs:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

evilmiera posted:

More than in a jokey sense, do you really actually think the world is in a better place with the collapse of the Soviet Union? I mean really deep down?

Time for a study on GBS syndrome: it's origins, symptoms, and prognosis

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

I'm not going to say that Stalin did nothing wrong. Like anyone else, he was flawed, and he made mistakes. But his heart was in the right place and he never gave up on his dreams

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

A Russian troll farm posted:

I'm not going to say that Stalin did nothing wrong. Like anyone else, he was flawed, and he made mistakes. But his heart was in the right place and he never gave up on his dreams

It is hard to say the Soviet Union was a weaker place in 1953 than 1927.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ardennes posted:

That said, I do actually think Krushchev was more of a dupe (not far off from Gorby) than an open collaborator. I think a lot of it was that he thought that peaceful existence was actually possible and part of that was the Soviet Union to make the "first move" which was completely disastrous and only was seen as weakness by the United States.

I think more than some type of deeper conspiracy it goes back to I think an honest inferiority complex than existed in both Russian and Soviet culture that not only should Western tech be reverse-engineered but Western society has a whole should be modelled at all levels (even when it has lead to catastrophe.)

You can see it playing out at the moment, the Kremlin just was completely dumbfounded that the US would go so hard against it, and it has been a long learning curve for them to figure out it is not the case.

That said, at a certain point, looking at the Second World War, the Cold War, the disaster of the 1990s, and then what has occurred more recently than any deeper lesson will ever be learned.

(Notice that the PRC very clearly never had this issue to the same degree, even when Hu was in power, it was clear there were hard limits how much leeway he really had.)

i feel that the nature of the US's malice is only understood by the jaded and defeated, ie modern leftists. If your part of the elite you live in a weird bubble where the US cant be that bad right? And its like no fuckers, the US is a giant misery machine designed to funnel all money, power and resources to a a select very few. There's nothing it wouldn't do to enrich these people.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

There’s no tragedy in the death of the deviationists but Hoxiaism was ideologically correct and yet it collapsed as well.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/roadtoserfdumb/status/1426286025022791680

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Regarde Aduck posted:

i feel that the nature of the US's malice is only understood by the jaded and defeated, ie modern leftists. If your part of the elite you live in a weird bubble where the US cant be that bad right? And its like no fuckers, the US is a giant misery machine designed to funnel all money, power and resources to a a select very few. There's nothing it wouldn't do to enrich these people.

I would say at the same time, if you aren't "political," then the US presents a very favorable image outside the US especially for people who don't really know much about the outside world. In American media, everyone has a large house and 2 cars and they usually imply they don't work that hard to sustain them. Issue like debt and stress usually don't show up unless it is a "indie film" and even then it is fairly heavily sanitized (I thought nomadland pulled most of its punches).

I don't think Western leftists really grasp that the empire is so successful because it works on people defeating themselves. It doesn't have to be everywhere militarily because the battle was already won.

The PRC is trying to control this but again I think they are still playing a dangerous game.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

another good thing about stalin is that he never forgot where he came from. he had a big heart and always gave it his all. a lunch pail general secretary

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

A Russian troll farm posted:

another good thing about stalin is that he never forgot where he came from. he had a big heart and always gave it his all. a lunch pail general secretary

Looking at Georgian life expectancy and quality of life, yeah he did really change things.

Endman
May 18, 2010

PawParole posted:

There’s no tragedy in the death of the deviationists but Hoxiaism was ideologically correct and yet it collapsed as well.

An important lesson for anyone on the left is to recognise the difference between being right and winning.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

Zelensky is a god drat hero you disrespectful son of a bitch. Take his name in vain again and I won't be held responsible for what I do

Zelensky doesn't get his hero patch until he catches the big man from falling down his airplane steps again live on camera. Then we can call him a hero.

Got to really earn that patch.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

thats not the indian ocean thats the arabian sea and persian gulf.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

quote:

It is precisely this culture, coated with a glossy veneer, accompanied by sensational advertisement, handled in the most commercial way and back up and financed by the bourgeoisie, that inundates the cinema and television screens, magazines, newspapers and radio broadcasts, all the mass information and propaganda media. Its objective is to turn the ordinary man into a passive consumer of poisonous bourgeois ideas, and to make this consumption an addiction. Not only have we nothing to learn from this culture, no reason to impart it to our masses and youth, but we must reject it contemptuously and fight it with determination.[124]

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

lobster shirt posted:

i do read mlmp's posts but i do not read the bot posts

I only read the bot's

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

evilmiera posted:

nice genocide endorsement

Adbot