Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Silver Falcon posted:

People don't make it any easier not to. So much of your identify is centered around your job. I was unemployed for a long stretch of time and it just felt awkward any time I would meet someone and they'd ask me "What do you do?" Which was pretty much any time I met someone! Kinda sucked. :(
Yeah. It sucks saying "I'm disabled" because then they want you to explain the disability. And, in one memorable case, argue with me about it (thanks, Uber driver!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

I kind of feel like it makes sense with some jobs. Like I do theater on Broadway, or I'm an astronaut and went to the moon, or I'm an artist and have paintings in the louvre, or I play for the NFL and we're going to the super bowl. That kind of stuff. I've had jobs where I felt like it defined me, but when I was mowing lawns I sure didn't give a gently caress, it was just beer money.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah. It sucks saying "I'm disabled" because then they want you to explain the disability. And, in one memorable case, argue with me about it (thanks, Uber driver!)

What a tit. Sorry you had to go through that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Yeah, Pigs in Blankets I'm fine with but I would much prefer Pigs Under Blankets :twisted:
Please do not gently caress the police

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Ironhead posted:

I kind of feel like it makes sense with some jobs. Like I do theater on Broadway, or I'm an astronaut and went to the moon, or I'm an artist and have paintings in the louvre, or I play for the NFL and we're going to the super bowl. That kind of stuff. I've had jobs where I felt like it defined me, but when I was mowing lawns I sure didn't give a gently caress, it was just beer money.

Yeah, because those jobs aren't just a nine to five thing to make money but actually influence your life outside of work in a meaningful way. When your job is more of a way of life it absolutely defines part of your identity.

My work defines who I am because it defines most aspects of my life, down to where I live, the people I meet, the weird hours I'm available for social stuff, etc.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Splicer posted:

Please do not gently caress the police

(for Under Blankets read Covered in a Sheet)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I brought my Drake posted:

Whenever Eminence Front by The Who gets used by a finance company or car maker or some luxury brand.

I missed all the inappropriate ad music chat but this was GMC advertising SUVs. Eminence Front is a song about rich people putting on a mask to hide their problems, so, actually perfect for the big SUV company

Another fun one was VW using Pink Moon by Nick Drake

The lines sung in the ad:
I saw it written and I saw it say
Pink moon is on its way

And the very next lines, not sung:
None of you stand so tall
Pink moon gonna get you all

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

being a cop is actually the most important aspect of a persons identity though

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I was talking about getting hit by a car at a party recently and the host's wife turned out to work for the insurance company that had been giving me a hard time. She was really drunk and began screaming at me that I should be denied coverage and had to be pulled out of the room by her husband because I corrected a mistake she made on the policy.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

chitoryu12 posted:

I was talking about getting hit by a car at a party recently and the host's wife turned out to work for the insurance company that had been giving me a hard time. She was really drunk and began screaming at me that I should be denied coverage and had to be pulled out of the room by her husband because I corrected a mistake she made on the policy.

gently caress your life, my record as an A+ employee is at risk here!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

She said she'd love to see proof of my statement and I pulled out my phone to begin showing her, and that's what triggered her meltdown.

She's also the only person I know who unironically loves Ready Player One.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

chitoryu12 posted:

She said she'd love to see proof of my statement and I pulled out my phone to begin showing her, and that's what triggered her meltdown.

Amazing.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I bet if you mentioned her unprofessional behavior to her company your claim will be settled pretty quickly. Companies love applying their own ethics to employee's personal lives. Don't know how good of a friend she is though, cause that would probably end that.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

As an insurance adjuster, I find that behaviour appalling. But I've worked with folks who absolutely would do something like this. They either get fired or promoted.

I mean, once people find out what I do for a living, there are the occasional interested parties with questions. I have actually encountered claimants against the company I was working for at the time (similar to the above scenario) but either I didn't let on that I worked for that company or, when pressed some & it looked like I could offer a little guidance it would be of the general variety (try not to be an rear end in a top hat, be polite but firm, kick it upstairs until you are satisfied you understand the whole picture even if that picture doesn't look good for your claim) and if pushed, explain it's an ethics issue, can't get involved further, sorry.

It can be tough as I generally want to help where I can but you do not want your name being dropped on someone else's file. It's easier with certain people, who you just know will dime you out in a second if they think it'll help them (it won't).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Robobot posted:

I bet if you mentioned her unprofessional behavior to her company your claim will be settled pretty quickly. Companies love applying their own ethics to employee's personal lives. Don't know how good of a friend she is though, cause that would probably end that.

She's not a friend at all. I'm friends with the host, which is why I came, but she had become increasingly erratic and alcoholic over the years. Other people at the party obviously heard what happened and told me that she had been having these sorts of outbursts and fights constantly.

My case ended up being settled a few weeks later and everything is done now.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

I met exactly one other person like this who didn't seem to notice anything vapid or vacuous about it, on a sincere level. They were the same people who lied to their wife for 2+ years about being trans while they "got their poo poo together," ripped off multiple businesses wholesale out of raw entitlement, and was known for targeting individuals with heavy codependent tendencies for recruitment into their professional and personal network. They worked in Human Resources.

Being glib, maybe RPO is a decent litmus test for ASPD.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

chitoryu12 posted:

Good lord, I wish I had been at this party.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

chitoryu12 posted:

She's not a friend at all. I'm friends with the host, which is why I came, but she had become increasingly erratic and alcoholic over the years. Other people at the party obviously heard what happened and told me that she had been having these sorts of outbursts and fights constantly.

My case ended up being settled a few weeks later and everything is done now.

chitoryu12 posted:

chitoryu12 posted:

Jesus Christ this woman is insane.

Ready Player One is terrible! Like Fifth Element levels of bad.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
What's wrong with the fifth element?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Please don't put the Fifth Element in the same sentence as Ready Player One wtf

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

oldpainless'd once again

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

oldpainless posted:

Like Fifth Element levels of bad.

Which levels of what now?

Fifth Element knew exactly what it was trying to be, and did a good job at it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Multipass

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Volcott posted:

What's wrong with the fifth element?

It’s an extremely bad movie that I don’t like. . In my opinion.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I liked The Fifth Element when I watched it, but now I have a hard time not associating it with Luc Besson's creepiness.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

oldpainless posted:

Ready Player One is terrible! Like Fifth Element levels of bad.

:catstare:

:wrong:

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
More like oldleeloodallasmultipass

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I liked The Fifth Element when I watched it, but now I have a hard time not associating it with Luc Besson's creepiness.
Sometimes humor isn't just "French" and it's important to learn that distinction.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I hated Valerion or whatever it was called that all prior Luc Besson movies are just total garbage to me, and that was before I knew what a total creep he was. I have no love for Fifth Element and even then I wouldn’t insult it by comparing it to Ready Player One.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I guess the version of Leon I had on VHS when I was younger was an international cut that removed a lot of the creepier stuff because I definitely looked weird as hell when I showed it to my friends on Netflix and said it was one of my favourite movies only to find that they had the full version where Matilda and Leon’s weird undertones become overtones.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I guess the version of Leon I had on VHS when I was younger was an international cut that removed a lot of the creepier stuff because I definitely looked weird as hell when I showed it to my friends on Netflix and said it was one of my favourite movies only to find that they had the full version where Matilda and Leon’s weird undertones become overtones.

You were also older when you rewatched it and wiser to the world. You didn’t catch it as you didn’t really know

Leon & The Fifth Element are great films but Besson is a massive creep and yikes, telegraphed it pretty loudly! Good god I knew about the rape allegations but this is uh, yeah

quote:

Besson's second wife was actress and director Maïwenn Le Besco, whom he started dating when he was 31 and she was 15. They married in late 1992 when Le Besco, 16, was pregnant with their daughter Shanna, who was born on 3 January 1993. Le Besco later claimed that their relationship inspired Besson's film Léon (1994), where the plot involved the emotional relationship between an adult man and a 12-year-old girl. Their marriage ended in 1997, after Besson became involved with actress Milla Jovovich during the filming of The Fifth Element (1997).

He married the 21-year-old Jovovich on 14 December 1997, when he was 38. They divorced in 1999.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Paul Anderson is definitely an upgrade for Jovovich

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I mean the dude is willing to let stuntwomen amputate themselves and then do what he can to avoid paying their bills. He must really care about her.

Still better than the loving pedo.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://twitter.com/joshgondelman/status/1605313199632433157

:monocle:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

sex sells

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?