Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Dex builds have never been bad?

They were dogshit in DS2 because all your weapons would constantly break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

nopants posted:

biggest wasted opportunity is that the torrent you start with is all you get. there should have been upgrades you can find to make torrent tougher, improve things like his jump, and give him new abilities. i wish torrent got more hp over the course of the game

Torrent should have been a big crab.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Thought I was done after I got platinum, but I still got the elden ring fever.

Decided to roll a brand new punch man character. Grabbed the caesura and crag blade early, got stormhawk deenh, and got the Winged Sword Insignia.

Anything else I can get to boost raw attack power? I know Golden Vow doesn’t stack with Deenh’s buff, but I figured I’d go 15-17 Faith just to get some weapon buffs, specifically lightning or black flame blade.

And I assume I should do a quality build, 40/40, and just keep the Caestus standard? Looks like that’s the best AP value.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Ratios and Tendency posted:

*with barely concealed rage, teeth grinding, sweating profusely, visibly flushed*

This...is the Elden Ring thread...

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
dex dual rapier is loving cracked in ds2 anyways lol

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I didn’t have this problem and I played the durability bugged pc version on release with a dex build.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Were there lore items about torrent? I don't remember any besides the item you summon with, and i guess the raisins or whatever

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Esme posted:

The nagakiba is a special case. Its default ash is actually unsheathe, but Yura applied piercing fang to it before he dropped it. This sounds like I’m joking but I’m not- there’s a little icon that tells you when a non-native ash is applied and the naga with piercing fang has that.

You can’t remove the default ash from a weapon, only overwrite it. And you can’t apply a new affinity without applying an ash.

Well I feel stupid, of course I picked the corner case as an example.

Darth Walrus posted:

My only objection to greatshields early on is fashion souls - I don't like the big square ones, and don't feel like they look good with any weapon except a spear. The oval and triangular ones are all fine and dandy, though. The Golden Greatshield in particular looks like a really natural, pleasing upgrade to your old friend the Brass Shield.

The best looking greatshields are the Eclipse Crest Greatshield, Cuckoo Greatshield, and Erdtree Greatshield IMO. All of them are perfectly usable, while of course not as strong as the Fingerprint Stone Shield. Half the weight though!

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Mentat Radnor posted:

Well I feel stupid, of course I picked the corner case as an example.

The best looking greatshields are the Eclipse Crest Greatshield, Cuckoo Greatshield, and Erdtree Greatshield IMO. All of them are perfectly usable, while of course not as strong as the Fingerprint Stone Shield. Half the weight though!

I love the Erdtree greatshield so much, it's central to my fav outfit

I just wish I was better at using the pike and lightning incants in pvp lmao

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Decided to roll a brand new punch man character. Grabbed the caesura and crag blade early, got stormhawk deenh, and got the Winged Sword Insignia.

Anything else I can get to boost raw attack power? I know Golden Vow doesn’t stack with Deenh’s buff, but I figured I’d go 15-17 Faith just to get some weapon buffs, specifically lightning or black flame blade.

And I assume I should do a quality build, 40/40, and just keep the Caestus standard? Looks like that’s the best AP value.

Is splashing Int to make another Caestus with frost on the table (or using Freezing Grease)? I also think Bleed might be a decent option with the Caestus due to its rapid attacks.

Other than that, you've got Flame Grant Me Strength, Exalted Flesh (the consumable), the Rallying Standard (you can switch weapons after using it, it would replace Golden Vow or Deenh), and the Thorny Cracked Tear for your flask. The Jellyfish Shield also has a weapon buff you could do after Rallying Standard, but I think you'd be unable to dual wield Caestuses with it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Salean posted:

Were there lore items about torrent? I don't remember any besides the item you summon with, and i guess the raisins or whatever

No, he's a total enigma! Seems to be related to the ancestral spirits, who also teleport around with blue special effects, but in what capacity who knows. I'm hoping he'll get some lore in DLC

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

if you're OK with having absurdly low defense and poise Blue Dancer Charm is pretty significant at minimum weight tiers which even with fist weapons means being pretty much naked

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Subjunctive posted:

Oh, I thought invaders were always players! I guess I’ll need to get good.

NPC invaders have massive health pools to compensate for being dumb, so don't think you've messed up if you're barely hurting them.
I suggest paying close attention to the tooltips on every menu, the "information" tool is useful for seeing what any stat is supposed to do.
Also a common issue is people asking about armor, and the answer is "whatever is fashionable." There is no super armor that wins the game, and the only thing to know is that body armor has the most efficient defense to weight ratio, while helmets are the least efficient but many have small extra benefits (stats or minor buffs).
As a mage you'll still want to have some kind of sidearm to finish off enemies, I personally prefer the whip since it has some range, but you do you.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Mentat Radnor posted:

The best looking greatshields are the Eclipse Crest Greatshield, Cuckoo Greatshield, and Erdtree Greatshield IMO. !

I think the Haligtree Crest and Distinguished greatshield are swanky as hell.

DS2 dex builds are dogshit because you can only play them while playing DS2 :laugh:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I killed my first boss! In that starter catacomb from the guide in the 3rd post, with a message before it saying “weak foe ahead”, on my eighth try, after dying like ten times just getting the door to the boss open. Still, that was a blast.

Got me some meteorite staff and rock sling, got smashed by whatever the big thing is in Stormgate. Definitely need to learn how to flow between dodge and casting better. That’s for tomorrow.

So glad I decided to start in on this, and that it plays so well on the Steam Deck. I feel like I might do better on the PC so I can see enemies better when they’re at the edge of engagement distance, so I’ll let that install tonight so it’s ready tomorrow.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
On the topic of fashion souls, Malekieth's Set is very cool. I'm pairing it with two Hands of Malenia and Radahn's Greatbow for my NG+ Dex run, but I'm also very aware that if you wore it and equipped a spear or halberd, you'd just straight-up have a Final Fantasy dragoon.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

i am harry posted:

i cant really get over how easy elden ring is with vigor at 30, end at 25, and str at 20, and the zweihander...i just run straight at every giant thing INCLUDING RUNEBEARS and stand beneath them beating the poo poo out of them...my first playthrough was with a character at lvl180 with all sorts of stupid poo poo and weapons and spells...its insane how this feels like cheating and im not using anything special at all.

I started a fresh character to try out the Zweihander and holy moley is this thing fun and powerful. What it's really got going for it is the moveset, you can combo out of charged R2 poke into R1 horizontal slashes or into the R2 downward slash. It's got a downward slash on the jump R2 and you can crouch-poke with it

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Maybe I'm a noob but I really wish the end tier incantations were as good as end tier sorceries in pvp. I feel like the best pvp incants are starter stuff like lightning spear and bestial sling, meanwhile the sorcerers get to do all sorts of crazy poo poo and still be viable in pvp

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Punchman is really strong so far. I still need Millicent’s Prosthesis, but Winged Sword Insignia + Flame, Grant Me Strength + Cragblade AoW + Deenh buff gives me a ton of AP for 30 seconds.

It’s hard to hit some of the bigger stuff, dragons especially, but everything goes down eventually.

Only Trust Your Fists
The Erdtree Will Never Protect You

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Any of the big beefy greatshields are great so go for fashion. I upgraded from Gilded to Fingerprint and it gives me a little more wiggle room but if I wasn't building for it specifically the equip load would be better used elsewhere

One thing I'll say is that the non-somber shields are notable not just because you can change the ashes on them (aka use your weapon's L2), but you can also change the typing for a huge elemental protection boost at the expense of a trivial amount of guard block. The Haligtree shield gets up to like 99% holy mitigation lol. Guess what I'm taking into the final fight.

Punchman is really strong so far. I still need Millicent’s Prosthesis, but Winged Sword Insignia + Flame, Grant Me Strength + Cragblade AoW + Deenh buff gives me a ton of AP for 30 seconds.

It’s hard to hit some of the bigger stuff, dragons especially, but everything goes down eventually.

Only Trust Your Fists
The Erdtree Will Never Protect You

You've got the big stuff, last I heard from somebody who ran a fists build is to get the Star Fists ASAP. The whole class attacks a lot faster in this update and I think the charged R2 especially is basically as fast as normal weapon R1s lol

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

Buschmaki posted:

Maybe I'm a noob but I really wish the end tier incantations were as good as end tier sorceries in pvp. I feel like the best pvp incants are starter stuff like lightning spear and bestial sling, meanwhile the sorcerers get to do all sorts of crazy poo poo and still be viable in pvp

There are actually a bunch of mid-game mid-tier incantations that remain extremely viable in pvp. Now obviously Elden Stars is mediocre in pvp (only having value in filthy 3v1 ganks), as are most of the dragon cult incantations. But things like Giantsflame or the named dragon communion incantations are top tier.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Buschmaki posted:

Have you tried Giantsflame Take Thee If Thy Vigor Is Too Low?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Beat Margit and went to the round table place to spend my runes. Ended up in a fight with an invader who does WAY more damage than Margit did. Can't find a way to get the runes out. Is there one? From some Googling I'm pretty sure the answer is no but I figure I'd ask.

It's really frustrating because From games are normally really fair, and normally when there's a cheap trick it's something that you can just keep in mind and avoid the next time around, like the barrel that gets kicked down the stairs in DS1. But this time the trick is that they straight-up tell you the area is safe when it isn't, and the punishment is your runes are gone forever?

EDIT: Nevermind I beat him. It wasn't as bad as I thought, though it was... weird. Whatever AI they use to make it seem like another player made him react differently to the stuff I did, so rather than adjusting my strategy every time and slowly getting closer and closer to victory, I basically just did the same thing over and over until it worked. Which took a while since he killed me in two hits, but eventually it worked. So it wasn't as big a problem as I thought, it was just boring. :geno: Someone please tell me there's no more of those.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 22, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

NPC invaders follow very simple behaviour trees that read animation events to try and make them more difficult, but once you figure out what they're reacting to, they become jokes

charged spells will absolutely plaster most NPCs, and jumping strong attacks are a good fallback if you don't have any

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Ariong posted:

Someone please tell me there's no more of those.

spend those runes as fast as you get them and be sure to use your consumable runes to fill the gaps. you had an opportunity to level up safely right after you killed Margit because he's one of those bosses that spawns a site of grace on defeat.

Sorry that the roundtable hold isn't what you hoped it would be

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

There's like 3 other arenas where it's technically possible for that to happen but it's usually because of a simultaneous death situation. I thought if you lost you just faced them again when you ported back in, so the runes should be where you died.

Some of the NPC invaders can be a pain but mostly they aren't particularly challenging. They're a great chance for a PvE player to use some of the frenzy spells tho

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

BasicLich posted:

spend those runes as fast as you get them and be sure to use your consumable runes to fill the gaps. you had an opportunity to level up safely right after you killed Margit because he's one of those bosses that spawns a site of grace on defeat.

Sorry that the roundtable hold isn't what you hoped it would be

I wanted to use them to buy stuff and then level up with what I had left.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Ariong posted:

Which took a while since he killed me in two hits

Ariong posted:

I wanted to use them to buy stuff and then level up with what I had left.

Sounds like those levels need to be in Vigor.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

2house2fly posted:

No, he's a total enigma! Seems to be related to the ancestral spirits, who also teleport around with blue special effects, but in what capacity who knows. I'm hoping he'll get some lore in DLC

They double jump too!

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

BasicLich posted:

I started a fresh character to try out the Zweihander and holy moley is this thing fun and powerful. What it's really got going for it is the moveset, you can combo out of charged R2 poke into R1 horizontal slashes or into the R2 downward slash. It's got a downward slash on the jump R2 and you can crouch-poke with it

Don’t even need an ash of war on it.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Quality is generally balls unless you're going to insane levels because stuff generally scales to 80. For example the Spiked Caestus will only beat 80 str heavy in AP once you hit 58/58.

You're better off going to 80 Strength and infusing Heavy, or going 80 Dex and infusing Keen for slightly less AP but bonus spellcasting speed.

Also the Spiked Caestus is generally better than the basic one for only slightly more weight.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

Any of the big beefy greatshields are great so go for fashion. I upgraded from Gilded to Fingerprint and it gives me a little more wiggle room but if I wasn't building for it specifically the equip load would be better used elsewhere

One thing I'll say is that the non-somber shields are notable not just because you can change the ashes on them (aka use your weapon's L2), but you can also change the typing for a huge elemental protection boost at the expense of a trivial amount of guard block. The Haligtree shield gets up to like 99% holy mitigation lol. Guess what I'm taking into the final fight.

You've got the big stuff, last I heard from somebody who ran a fists build is to get the Star Fists ASAP. The whole class attacks a lot faster in this update and I think the charged R2 especially is basically as fast as normal weapon R1s lol

In my run I found the star fists were better with heavy infusion and single damage types while the spiked caestus was better with split damage infusions like fire.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

There are actually a bunch of mid-game mid-tier incantations that remain extremely viable in pvp. Now obviously Elden Stars is mediocre in pvp (only having value in filthy 3v1 ganks), as are most of the dragon cult incantations. But things like Giantsflame or the named dragon communion incantations are top tier.

I cant do things other than the dragon cult lightning incants because theyre thematic :(

e: grammar on this one was wild lmao

Buschmaki fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 22, 2022

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Buschmaki posted:

I can't do the none dragon cult lightning incants because it's not thematic :(

This person is playing the game correctly.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Aurubin posted:

This person is playing the game correctly.

:hmmyes:

This sill let you come back later and play a dragon... enthusiast.

I want my current character to be absolute dupe, a moron, I want to walk right into whatever the Greater Will and the status quo have planned for me.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

I killed my first boss! In that starter catacomb from the guide in the 3rd post, with a message before it saying “weak foe ahead”, on my eighth try, after dying like ten times just getting the door to the boss open. Still, that was a blast.

Got me some meteorite staff and rock sling, got smashed by whatever the big thing is in Stormgate. Definitely need to learn how to flow between dodge and casting better. That’s for tomorrow.

So glad I decided to start in on this, and that it plays so well on the Steam Deck. I feel like I might do better on the PC so I can see enemies better when they’re at the edge of engagement distance, so I’ll let that install tonight so it’s ready tomorrow.

Congrats! You have started an amazing adventure and overcoming the odds is a feeling like no other in these games!

On another note... TL;DR: Has something been nerfed since July with the Godskin Duo? Or perhaps a buff to Blasphemous Blade or maybe Mimic Tear?

More: When I stopped playing the game back in July, it was about 90% because it's all I'd played for months and I was kind of burnt out on it (~300 hours in), but about 10% because Abbott and Costello kept beating my rear end. I fought them about 8-10 times and didn't feel like I was even getting close, and the thought of respeccing or something just made me say "nah" and play other stuff for a while.

I started up the game last night, thought "I'll just fight them once to refresh my memory"...and proceeded to destroy them without a whole lot of trouble. What the gently caress. Was I just being an idiot back in July or did something change with the game? I'm doing STR/FAI with Blasphemous Blade and Fingerprint Shield and using my friend the Mimic for a summon and am trying to figure out why the duo went from brutal to not-so-bad.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

A few highlights from my recent duels in the colosseum.

This dude lagging out super bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQhcCSUyg7Q

This guy trying to hotswap his way to victory after not bowing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odrn30WQFfo

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

aas Bandit posted:

Congrats! You have started an amazing adventure and overcoming the odds is a feeling like no other in these games!

On another note... TL;DR: Has something been nerfed since July with the Godskin Duo? Or perhaps a buff to Blasphemous Blade or maybe Mimic Tear?

More: When I stopped playing the game back in July, it was about 90% because it's all I'd played for months and I was kind of burnt out on it (~300 hours in), but about 10% because Abbott and Costello kept beating my rear end. I fought them about 8-10 times and didn't feel like I was even getting close, and the thought of respeccing or something just made me say "nah" and play other stuff for a while.

I started up the game last night, thought "I'll just fight them once to refresh my memory"...and proceeded to destroy them without a whole lot of trouble. What the gently caress. Was I just being an idiot back in July or did something change with the game? I'm doing STR/FAI with Blasphemous Blade and Fingerprint Shield and using my friend the Mimic for a summon and am trying to figure out why the duo went from brutal to not-so-bad.

The duo were changed so that they're a lot slower to resummon their partner, and general changes were made to duo and trio fights to make the ones not engaged with you a lot less aggro. If it feels easier it may also be pure chance depending on your weapon. Nobles resist strike and Apostles slash, both to a pretty significant degree, so if you come in with the BB and focus one you may think they're invincible but if you focus the other they'll be a pushover

edit - the Blasphemous Blade's weapon type has been buffed twice since then as well, so yes it has amazingly

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Buschmaki posted:

seconding that giantsflame is the best incantation by far to use as a simple but versatile nuke in pvp. practice manual casting that baby and you will feel like a god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

aas Bandit posted:

i'm reasonably certain that all duo+ bosses in the game had their AI changed to fall far more into a demon princes-style your turn/my turn pattern compared to before. it's comically obvious when you're fighting, say, the three crystallians: the spear guy will do his normal stabbing operation, but the ring guy and staff guy just hang the gently caress back aside from a very occasional spell or ring toss. this is in pretty direct contrast to release where the only way i could beat that fight solo was via flame of the redmanes spam on all of them at once