Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1605792960834052099?s=20&t=9mv6-vq0j46RZ-222eNjqg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If it's over an almost decade old ankle injury than yeah that's Giant's FO getting cold feet and trying to get a discount. No wonder Correa/Boras went with the Mets offer almost immediately, they were unlikely to get much more from the Giants if they were resorting to that kinda last minute pressure tactics.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hey Steve I play mens adult rec league baseball, if you need a 15th outfielder I will sign for like 1/15.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
is it ok that I giggled at his name

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Sydin posted:

STAC Goat I don't know what to tell you other than you seem to be defaulting to an owner-favoring narrative which is potentially the dumbest possible thing you could be defaulting to. :shrug:

It was pretty obvious (moreso now that it was about the ankle injury in the minors lol) the Giants upper mgmt had buyers remorse or cold feet, whatever. Quite the strange hill to die on.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Sydin posted:

They also did it to Boras, who just isn't going to put up with that poo poo.

Brian Sabean seemed to intentionally avoid taking any Boras contracts ever again in the years following the Barry Zito contract. He was also well known among fans for thinking that superstars are too risky when there was gold buried somewhere in a dumpster. After Farhan took over, he was promoted to some title where he doesn't make baseball decisions but likely hobnobs with the owners group. Completely baseless talk radio caller take here, but I suspect the Giants old guard ripped the controls out of Zaidi's hands on this one. I wouldn't be surprised if he resigns, because why work for people such as this and besides they seem happy to let social media spew on him without even so much a standard corporate "we have faith in our baseball operations team" kind of message, like the kind they puke out when the team's elderly owner is found donating to alt-right political agitators.

On that matter however, I also think that "he was getting dressed" story is just Boras being his usual bullshit self. He was previously calling the Giants "the thinking team" and said Rodon "sculpted yet another masterpiece" in the same breath. That guy needs hyperbole like humans need air.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 22, 2022

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Somewhat lost in all this is that Correa is going to play 3b after being billed as the top short stop free agent this off season lol

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I assume he'll be fine there but there'll probably be an adjustment period

He's not A-Rod though, his offensive numbers aren't quite as impressive for a 3B. A-Rod's of course were impressive for any position at all

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Boras deserves a plaque next to Marvin Miller and Curt Flood

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Babe, wakeup, new billionaire tears just dropped:

Steve Cohen’s Mets spending spree and the ramifications for the rest of the league

quote:

As baseball’s wealthiest owner, Cohen is better positioned to assemble a super-team than any other. But the fraternity of owners does not usually look kindly to those who break from the pack, particularly when it raises costs for them. “I think it’s going to have consequences for him down the road,” said an official with another major league team who was not authorized to speak publicly. “There’s no collusion. But … there was a reason nobody for years ever went past $300 million. You still have partners, and there’s a system.”
And it only gets dumber from there!

quote:

But the Mets’ winter is :jerkbag:arguably:jerkbag: a boon to the sport. They’re creating a lot of news, and maybe more importantly to an entertainment business, they’re creating a storyline: the Evil Empire reimagined. Baseball thrives when there is theater, and teams trying to one-up each other creates drama.

Both sides, except really only ownerside posted:

“Our sport feels broken now,” a different rival executive said Wednesday. “We’ve got somebody with three times the median payroll and has no care whatsoever for the long-term of any of these contracts, in terms of the risk associated with any of them. How exactly does this work? I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around it.”

That leads back to an age-old question: Are other owners not able to spend, or not willing to spend? Many with the league and some clubs would say the former, depending on the team, and many on the players’ side would suggest the latter. What teams believe they can afford is subjective based on what individual owners feel is appropriate for them, and most club financial records are not publicized. But different clubs definitely do have different revenues, and Cohen certainly has the deepest pockets based on reporting of his net worth.
Your semiannual reminder that a focus on revenues (as is the bargained method in the NHL and NBA) ignores the largest source of income for ownership, franchise valuation appreciation. The 'small-mid market' Padres, for instance, have spent $1.5b on payroll (by the CBT tax calculations) since new ownership took over in 2012 if we include their current tax figure for 2023. The team was purchased for $800m. If the franchise value eclipses $2b, as one would expect it to do when Forbes releases their 2023 figures, then even if the team sold zero tickets, sponsorships, media rights, and refused to take any revenue share.... ownership would still have made a positive return on their investment. You'll be shocked to learn that this particular financial aspect, in a story about the financial impact of Cohen, does not appear anywhere.

quote:

“I think everyone in this room understands that we have a level of revenue disparity in this sport that makes it impossible for some of our markets to compete at some of the numbers we’ve seen,” commissioner Rob Manfred said generally at the Winter Meetings earlier this month. “And, you know, that’s not a positive. It’s like everything else in life, there’s good and bad in it.”

“This game is based on partnership and relationships, and these small markets are going to be really pissed at him,” the club official said. “They’re going to try and gin up s— and cause Rob (Manfred) to f—— get pissed at him. It’s not that they can do anything to him, but everybody needs help in this game. I don’t think he’s going to get any help.”

Outside of "There's no collusion but we collude", these are the most risible quotes from the piece:

quote:

“If he would have went up to the Cohen tax, a little over, I think he would have been fine,” the club official said of Cohen. “But the fact that he blew past it, it kind of like embarrassed Rob and a lot of people. He went so far beyond it, it rendered the whole CBA — made them look stupid on the CBA negotiation. He flaunted it in their face.”

Hal Steinbrenner was a part of Manfred’s labor committee that worked closely on the new CBA. Wasn’t the fourth tier intended to dissuade exactly what Cohen has done?

“Well, or anybody,” Steinbrenner said Wednesday. “Clearly, yeah clearly, competitive balance is important to the game, and I remember meeting with you guys in March and I said, ‘No teams’ fans should come to spring training thinking they have no chance to make the playoffs.’ That’s not good for baseball. So, yeah, there was certainly a purpose to that.”

Look at this stupid horseshit. Look at it. Drink it in.

quote:

The “Cohen tax” isn’t doing much of anything to deter its namesake, and Manfred might have some increasingly unhappy owners to calm down because of that.

And this is where Cohen’s spending could have a deeper effect. It’d be a little hyperbolic, a little cheeky to already be asking: Where were you when Steve Cohen started the 2026 lockout?

Pathetic and shameful.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

It's not fair! We're all stupidly, absurdly rich, but Cohen is MORE stupidly, absurdly rich! :qq:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

People are asking a lot of questions about my “There’s no collusion, BUT” tshirt

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
if you’re gonna have to have billionaire owners they might as well be ones that give a poo poo about their teams rather than regarding them as a slush fund or a tax shelter. But then I grew up with Ted Turner.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Monthly reminder there is no such thing as a "small market" just cheap owners who either don't want to spend money or don't care about how well the team does (or both)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
damnit Steve Cohen stop making me want to like you

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Popete posted:

damnit Steve Cohen stop making me want to like you

He can't stay away from twitter forever.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Bob Nutting is the 10th richest owner in the league and the Pirates are run like a team who has to dig in the couch cushions just to keep the lights on

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

there's no collusion, but there's a reason teams haven't gone past 300 million in payroll (collusion)

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
You have partners. There's a system. Where you suppress player wages through a structure of formal and informal agreements.

It's like how you're not supposed to steal bases when you have a giant lead, only this violates labor laws.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nodoze posted:

Bob Nutting is the 10th richest owner in the league and the Pirates are run like a team who has to dig in the couch cushions just to keep the lights on
While also getting revenue sharing

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Yankee beard rule is so loving dumb.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

mcmagic posted:

Hey, a good mcmagic take that everyone can appreciate

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Agreed, Yankees discourse should always stick to what truly matters!

Did Aaron Judge's record season... Earn him his Pinstripes? :smuggo:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

So the Mets snagging Correa wasn't an Arctic blast-induced dream?

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

So the Mets snagging Correa wasn't an Arctic blast-induced dream?

No, but he still needs to pass his physical which is happening today!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

ihatepants posted:

Hey, a good mcmagic take that everyone can appreciate

mcmagic is the best yankees poster here and it isn't even a contest

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Nodoze posted:

Monthly reminder there is no such thing as a "small market" just cheap owners who either don't want to spend money or don't care about how well the team does (or both)

Every single team could afford to field a $200 million payroll.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Nodoze posted:

I follow a fair few Tigers fans on twitter as well as Detroit adjacent discord, and they are absolutely loving apoplectic that Chris Illitch won't spend any money

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
MLB Offseason: There's no collusion... but-

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Sydin posted:

MLB Offseason: There's no collusion... but-

I think we already have that thread title.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Every single team could afford to field a $200 million payroll.
just to back this up a bit with some numbers…

48% of all local revenue is now split evenly among all 30 teams. On top of this they get the national tv revenue (including postseason) evenly split.

This year MLB boasted of total revenues in excess of $11B. Divided by 30 teams that’s an average of $366 M per team.

Average payroll per team was $148M. Where’d that other $218M per team go? :thunk:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

elentar posted:

if you’re gonna have to have billionaire owners they might as well be ones that give a poo poo about their teams rather than regarding them as a slush fund or a tax shelter. But then I grew up with Ted Turner.

Turner didn't do anything for half, if not more of his ownership.

In the 1970s, Turner pissed off the league with his tactics and pocketbook to sign Gary Matthews. Andy Messersmith was another early high profile signing.

Then Turner stopped spending. Atlanta had what was considered the worst field in baseball in the 1980s. There were contract disputes with the extremely popular Noc-a-homa, with the end result that his perch was torn out for more seats. That was an accidental good thing because Noc-a-homa was a pretty drat racist thing to have.

Bruce Sutter was the only notable signing of the 1980s and it backfired bad. With the Atlanta Hawks, there was a time where it was believed that Turner was intentionally tanking them so he could move the squad to Charlotte.

The 1991 team was built on trades and cheap signings. Greg Maddux was the first splash Turner made arguably since Matthews. The last years saw the checkbooks open greatly, but Turner was considered a bad owner for a long time.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

Average payroll per team was $148M. Where’d that other $218M per team go? :thunk:

:capitalism:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
look I know all that I was very much there, it’s just that it was funny and also Turner could at least admit he was wrong eventually? which ultimately came from him giving a poo poo about the team

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

maffew buildings posted:

mcmagic is the best yankees poster here and it isn't even a contest

1000% true

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I follow a fair few Tigers fans on twitter as well as Detroit adjacent discord, and they are absolutely loving apoplectic that Chris Illitch won't spend any money

Seattle sports radio showing they are in Mariners pocket with calling Mariners fans greedy for being pissed off they did poo poo all spending money when for years were promised when the competitive window opened they would spend money.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Just do be the Astros, don't spend money and then also be awesome every year.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Its Rinaldo posted:

Seattle sports radio showing they are in Mariners pocket with calling Mariners fans greedy for being pissed off they did poo poo all spending money when for years were promised when the competitive window opened they would spend money.

Can't spend money if no one wants to sign to play for you which is a different and difficult problem to fix.

They could've gotten Nimmo probably but do you want to pay Mitch Haniger+ 8/$200 million?

Spending a bunch of money on FA would be cool to see from the M's but idk, maybe I'm way more cynical than most fans. I assume they'll run a high payroll of the low 200's when Julio is clearly in his athletic prime and that's maybe 5 years from now.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1605984729647325184

lol jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

the javy bounceback year is going to be insane, i still believe