Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I'm not sure how I like the matchmaking system. I just broke CL1000 and am at 74 and regularly play against current and past season rank 100s with frequent pool 5 cards and tons of split 4+ variants. Is it just open season past 1000? I figured it would still band a range around my CL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

No Wave posted:

I dont think you should feel like any cards are safe buys, she hulk the safe buy has been getting her butt kicked by leader the past two weeks. I recommend looking at the decks you're interested in making and figuring out which key enablers/flexible supporting cards you might need. Spending 5k tokens on death, dr doom, magneto, mystique, and wong doesnt actually get you a deck.

This is good advice, honestly. I'm saving for Daredevil, or maybe Brood.

BTW, does anyone have anything I can do with Yellowjacket? I just unpacked him and am at a loss.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I started really liking Vormir then getting bored of it, now wanting it to be over. I like the idea but 2 days of it constantly has led to too many wusses armoring the lane. It'll play better again when it's just in regular rotation.

I finally broke down and built a baero deck which, especially if you add leader, isn't fun to play but it does numbers.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Zodack posted:

tons of split 4+ variants.

I assume anyone playing gold or ink splits is a bot.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Can Discard prosper with only Hela and Ghost Rider or do I need Hell Cow too?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Quackles posted:

This is good advice, honestly. I'm saving for Daredevil, or maybe Brood.

BTW, does anyone have anything I can do with Yellowjacket? I just unpacked him and am at a loss.

Yellowjacket is fantastic when paired with wasp and ant man....and Valkyrie as a T6 lane theft.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

buffalo all day posted:

The standard list had sunspot->scorpion->Maximus->white queen, if I see that curve (especially sunspot+scorpion) I’m definitely looking leech/leader.

Aero is tough to play around. If there’s a location that blows up when a unit is moved I definitely will try to play there T5. Basically I assume aero is coming on 5 unless it’s ongoing, discard, cerebro, patriot, surfer, or zoo or something else is going on like Wong

Thank you for this. That did kind of jog my memory of seeing maximus more often that I hadnt connected with Leech and it makes a ton of sense. White Queen too though i did start suspecting Leader with her

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

stev posted:

I assume anyone playing gold or ink splits is a bot.

To be fair I guess the deck I just lost to with two inks could easily be piloted by a bot. Not much you can do against Magick into ink Death for free and Knull turn 7

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Yeah, I've noticed that bots tend to have the most bedazzled decks, often with splits that just can't be obtained easily.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
shouldn't bots be bad at the game so they inject cubes

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Zodack posted:

I'm not sure how I like the matchmaking system. I just broke CL1000 and am at 74 and regularly play against current and past season rank 100s with frequent pool 5 cards and tons of split 4+ variants. Is it just open season past 1000? I figured it would still band a range around my CL
how do you see an opponent's rank?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

wyoak posted:

In previous seasons, getting to Infinite would get you a card back. Anyone using certain card backs, then...

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Sounds like "zoo" decks are the ones full of mostly small things getting buffed?
[...]
So...if I'm seeing the shop right, the ONLY way to get a card that's not random is buy the one-card-at-a-time with Collector tokens, or the bundles with gold? Though right now, the two bundles I see are mostly just variants of cards I have (a Sunspot one and a Fantastic Four one...the only new card I would get is a Doom from the FF bundle, I already have Sunspot, Reed and Sue.)

I see I can also buy individual variants for gold, but those are all variants of cards I already have...not sure if that's by design or just coincidence?

Yeah, zoo is a name that comes from Magic where that deck archetype used animal cards as they had high power/toughness for their cost. You're putting out a bunch of cards that'd fill up a zoo as fast as possible. And then the name for that archetype just stuck.

The bundles with gold/real money all give variants, and you can use the cards from them if you don't have the base card. But you will still open the base card from caches/reserves down the line; the token shop is the only way to get the base cards without eventually opening one from those. Because of that the variant shop just shows cards you already have.

That F4 bundle is just awful, the cards and portraits are ugly as hell and it costs so much for giving so few credits. The Sunspot bundle is much better, a bunch of credits and tokens so you can actually get more cards.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Quackles posted:

In previous seasons, getting to Infinite would get you a card back. Anyone using certain card backs, then...
ah - what're the card backs? I'd be interested in seeing how many people I see with 'em

this game reminds me SO MUCH of when I used to play online poker alot, just from a mental standpoint. The nice thing is sliding 8 ranks doesn't cost a bunch of money

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

wyoak posted:

Card back from last season or "Herald of Galactus" from this one

Last season's back was an Okoye themed source with her spearhead on it

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

wyoak posted:

ah - what're the card backs? I'd be interested in seeing how many people I see with 'em

The HYDRA one is from the last beta season before public launch. Spider is from the Spider-Man season. Spear is from the Wakanda season (this is the one I see most often).

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Zodack posted:

This can happen at any point past CL600. Playing outside of peak hours seems worse, presumably because that's when those actively seeking to rank up are playing. Deck construction is also a factor. If you're playing cards considered strong, you get opponents with strong cards as well.

Ultimately, the game prioritizes getting you an opponent fast over fair.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Just found out that quinjet works also for cards that you draw from Weirdworld, that was a fun game.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Tekopo posted:

Just found out that quinjet works also for cards that you draw from Weirdworld, that was a fun game.

I found out that if your opponent drops Mr. Negative under Weirdworld you obviously get all the negative cards since you didn't swap decks, you're drawing from theirs

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Well I can still do matches but my store and collection are hosed. Not sure what to do, even reinstalled the whole game.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Anyone who wins and uses the snap emoji while not actually snapping should be banned from the game

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Maneck posted:

This can happen at any point past CL600. Playing outside of peak hours seems worse, presumably because that's when those actively seeking to rank up are playing. Deck construction is also a factor. If you're playing cards considered strong, you get opponents with strong cards as well.

Ultimately, the game prioritizes getting you an opponent fast over fair.

You know, this is interesting. I'd swear that my daytime opponent pool is twice as tough as my nighttime opponent pool.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Nybble posted:

Anyone who wins and uses the snap emoji while not actually snapping should be banned from the game

Anybody who uses the Ms. Marvel emoji should automatically have their thumbs broken. Especially if they spam it at the end of a match because they lost, or because they want to rub in the fact that they pulled a win out of their rear end.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Quackles posted:

The HYDRA one is from the last beta season before public launch. Spider is from the Spider-Man season. Spear is from the Wakanda season (this is the one I see most often).

NO loving wonder ive struggled today im seeing a ton of these cardbacks

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Quackles posted:

Yeah, I've noticed that bots tend to have the most bedazzled decks, often with splits that just can't be obtained easily.

They often have splits that cannot be obtained at all, most notably cards with a basic background but also an effect.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah gently caress you leader:

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

the_steve posted:

Anybody who uses the Ms. Marvel emoji should automatically have their thumbs broken. Especially if they spam it at the end of a match because they lost, or because they want to rub in the fact that they pulled a win out of their rear end.

I'd like it if the game blocked that emote after a 2 cube win and it'd say to the player who tried to use it "Really? Seriously, after the bare-rear end minimum risk you're going to gloat?"

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I'm really going to miss Vormir. I've gotten like 25 rank in the last day and a half with this deck.

But even better than the rank gains, I've been having an absolute blast playing it. So many possibilities for big brain moves (failing to topdeck Death so Zola'ing Shang-Chi to take out their lane winners) and big number edge cases (Zola'ing a 32-power Deadpool to drop 2x 64-power cards on T6; Death + Sabertooth + Demon + pumped Deadpool + Shang-Chi for a 30+ point T6 swing). But there have also been so many matches that I won by one point -- including a couple I was pretty sure I'd lost until I saw the Victory screen. It's still viable when Vormir doesn't come up (and Death's Domain coming up is basically a free win) but I think its win% is going to drop pretty significantly when it's no longer the featured location.

Lawen fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 22, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Nybble posted:

Hey, I just appreciate the extra cubes because I'm way too conservative with my own snaps. Or too dumb to realize I was way ahead, because I switch decks too often.

Don't let a single emote get to you, that seems like a recipe to tilt and to lose even more cubes. I once saw a Twitch streamer get upset by an emote after losing and it is amazing how much energy he gave to that when he probably plays more than 50 matches a day. He couldn't just move on, he had to vent for multiple minutes.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

the_american_dream posted:

NO loving wonder ive struggled today im seeing a ton of these cardbacks

Yeah all day I've been facing people with the infinite backs, apocalypse avatar, and sunspot title at 75/1500

Also definitely had a cheater bot played Shang Chi on my Jubilee because it knew she was going to draw Infinaut

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Anybody getting mad at emotes in Snap should probably put down their phone and talk to a therapist.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

First of May posted:

Anybody getting mad at emotes in Snap should probably put down their phone and talk to a therapist.

this is not an empty quote

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Mystique really powered up my patriot deck. Dropping patriot and her on turn 6 can really hoover up the cubes. I still need to get brood though, that's gonna make the deck.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I purposefully choose the first random username the game came up with, have never changed my avatar or card back, never set a title, never emote.

go ahead think I'm a bot

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bots don't use default card backs, they use ones from the beta like the pyramid looking one and the Daredevil one.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

One of these days I am going to learn to stop losing to my own Cosmo, uninstall the game, or throw my phone through a wall.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I just got into pool 3. Am I right in thinking I should play my pool 2 decks while looking for opportunities to slot in pool 3 cards or make a pool 3 engine?

It feels like I can finally play with the fun stuff, but I haven’t gotten any yet.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I would strongly recommend not tipping over CL 600 if you haven't gone past it already. Before 600 you will see people with some pool 3 cards, but not many, so most people will be using pool 2 decks with a few pool 3 cards sprinkled in. Once you go past 600 you will hit all the meta decks.

My winrate before 600 was around 60%, enough to get to rank 100. Once I went past 600 I barely win games, especially if I try to use my pool 2 decks which are now grossly outmatched. I've only been able to pull back my winrate by getting good enough cards to make semi-decent Deathwave and Patriot decks.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Tekopo posted:

I would strongly recommend not tipping over CL 600 if you haven't gone past it already. Before 600 you will see people with some pool 3 cards, but not many, so most people will be using pool 2 decks with a few pool 3 cards sprinkled in. Once you go past 600 you will hit all the meta decks.

My winrate before 600 was around 60%, enough to get to rank 100. Once I went past 600 I barely win games, especially if I try to use my pool 2 decks which are now grossly outmatched. I've only been able to pull back my winrate by getting good enough cards to make semi-decent Deathwave and Patriot decks.

Oh poo poo, this explains a lot. I'm 608. I got bodied in a comical way by a Wong and Leader deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Quackles posted:

You know, this is interesting. I'd swear that my daytime opponent pool is twice as tough as my nighttime opponent pool.

Yeah I need to stop playing during the day because I just get bodied and lose like three ranks in an afternoon and then try to claw it back that evening.