Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

"Prosecute Fauci"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

What is tax harvesting?

Is it really loving stupid?

No idea, so I'm going to guess it's "yes" to your second question :v:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Piss Creep posted:

I hope Elon does a Robert Maxwell

a "space maxwell" would be a fitting end

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
the stocktwits musk fans are like children just making up poo poo, like grown men going "I heard he resigned from twitter now is the time to buy"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

"Tesla was innovative several years ago, why value dropping now??" is definitely a childlike thought

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

So I’m not really a stock market guy, but I assume when a company keeps free falling this hard and fast, it’s over, right? Are there any companies that have recovered from something this drastic? Or is the best that they can realistically hope for it they don’t die within the next month a long slow limp into irrelevance/acquisition and absorption by a competitor?

For every seller, there's a buyer - and people are buying now because either they think the price will go up on a bounce ( to take quick profit asap) or they still believe TSLA will turn things around in the long term.

TulliusCicero posted:

What is tax harvesting?

Selling off stocks that are in the red, taking a loss on that stock, to offset capital gains taxes on stocks that you've sold and taken profit on.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

TulliusCicero posted:

What is tax harvesting?

It’s closing positions near year end to balance you realized gains vs losses to neutralize/reduce taxable gains, depends on how big your realized losses for the year are vs unrealized gains.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
So, when does the board kick Elon off it? Imagine getting Steve Jobbed out of Tesla.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

TulliusCicero posted:

What is tax harvesting?

I think he just means selling at a loss so you can subtract those losses from your gains on your taxes and not have to pay any capital gains

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

TulliusCicero posted:

What is tax harvesting?

If you sell stocks for a loss at the end of the year, you can take the losses off against your wins (this is needed as you're winning and losing constantly) there are rules to prevent you from "washing" your shares by selling them at a loss then buying them right back for the same price to get the taxes, this gets you a wash sale (the losses get rolled into your buy price and you don't get the tax write off until you sell the new shares this is a rolling period you can look up wash sale rules).

Now you can still wash several things by using very similar funds. 2 funds both track the same index? switch between them every year that ends down! Now you can only use so many carried credits each year so you do need wins to offset for this to even make sense or else you'll end up with like 200 years worth of maxing out your rolling credit.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Waltzing Along posted:

So, when does the board kick Elon off it? Imagine getting Steve Jobbed out of Tesla.

They don't because it's filled with sycophants

It'd take a massive shareholder revolt but with Elon controlling so much it'd be a hard gambit

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Waltzing Along posted:

The board with his brother on it? lol

E: beat to it^

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

There is nothing special about Teslas compared to any of the other mainstream EVs on the market unless you want extreme speed (in the $120k+ price bracket) or the ability to mess with FSD (god help you and any bystanders). There's simply nothing justifying an outlier stock value.

Because of the lock out on charging stations, depending on where you live and what your driving routes were, I could see the Tesla super charger network being a selling point over other electric car brands.

I can't find the mapping site now, but last time I looked a few months ago when I was thinking of maybe getting an electric car, it looked like I would spend less time charging in a Tesla on roadtrips over other brands.

I decided against it because my Honda Fit is still working fine. I also prefer Apple Carplay over the locked in Tesla software suite, so I'd rather get an electric car with Apple's UI instead of Tesla's.

Also, I imagine with the last month or so, a lot of people who were on the fence on mid-price electric cars probably want to stay the hell away from Tesla now.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

TulliusCicero posted:

What is tax harvesting?

It's loss harvesting for your tax exposure. You sell off at a loss, buy back into the market with roughly the same diversity in your portfolio, and then you can write the losses off on your taxes.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Chainclaw posted:

Because of the lock out on charging stations, depending on where you live and what your driving routes were, I could see the Tesla super charger network being a selling point over other electric car brands.

I can't find the mapping site now, but last time I looked a few months ago when I was thinking of maybe getting an electric car, it looked like I would spend less time charging in a Tesla on roadtrips over other brands.

I decided against it because my Honda Fit is still working fine. I also prefer Apple Carplay over the locked in Tesla software suite, so I'd rather get an electric car with Apple's UI instead of Tesla's.

Also, I imagine with the last month or so, a lot of people who were on the fence on mid-price electric cars probably want to stay the hell away from Tesla now.

EA has been putting in a ton of work to catch up. They still don't have quite the reach that Tesla's network has but I think they're at the point where you won't run into any issues doing any kind of long distance traveling. Teslas are still going to be easier to deal with if you have an apartment or other living arrangement that won't let you charge at home.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

TulliusCicero posted:

What is tax harvesting?

If you’ve made $x in capital gains you can offset that by selling $-x in losses before the end of the year, wait 30 days, and then buy back in. This removes taxes from the capital gains because you’re net zero. Note that the gains have to have been made at least 30 days before you sell. (The 30 days before and after window is called the wash rule and it’s intended to make it more difficult and risky to do this kind of tax loss harvesting)

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Reading this thread, I am reminded of a meeting I was in with the c-suite of my company. There were some meeting conflicts with our SEO department and a fairly junior member of staff was sent along. Someone who definitely wasn't paid enough for their level of insightful candour. The grand-high-dictator of the company had an idea and our friend and ally instinctively responded; "Dawg, that supervillain as gently caress!". A bunch of people who earned 100x what they earned pondered on this for a few minutes, then unanimously agreed and we never mentioned the bad strategy again. The member of staff got a huge award and all-expenses trip at the end of the year. So the opposite of what Elon-twitter are doing right now.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

EA has been putting in a ton of work to catch up. They still don't have quite the reach that Tesla's network has but I think they're at the point where you won't run into any issues doing any kind of long distance traveling. Teslas are still going to be easier to deal with if you have an apartment or other living arrangement that won't let you charge at home.

I was looking at Lucid as an alternative to Tesla, because last time I went to the mall there was a Lucid store next to the Tesla store. Looking into them, they seem probably worse than Tesla, which doesn't bode well.

I stopped shopping when I realized it would be the dumbest thing I could do with money: buying a new car, especially a luxury car, when I average less than 10 miles of driving a week.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
So he has finally admitted that 10% of Twitter users are whiners and 90% are just screenshotting the whining. Engagement is up like never before!!!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Is Elon still Rick Biish? It seems like he's on the glide path to no longer being Rick Biish from what I'm seeing iit.

Nah, more like Duane Dibbley at this point.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
people who do maths say tesla's true value is $103 and that's where we are heading.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1605969030531072003?cxt=HHwWhoCqkeKUxsksAAAA

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost

AARD VARKMAN posted:

how about a super-promoted tweet which locks the user in to viewing it when scrolled past or clicked on

Neuralink embeds with the premium package :eightbux:COMING SOON

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

they the same equally lovely rich rear end in a top hat terrible-boss so sure

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don’t think this is a typical bubble. The amount of Steiner Math involved is making me think is gonna be something beyond Enron.

to be fair, scott steiner's arithmetic in that promo was correct.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Animal-Mother posted:

fun fact: when he made that promo he'd got himself so wide he could no longer clap.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

I'm told the numbers don't lie.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

TulliusCicero posted:

What is tax harvesting?

Tax harvesting is when you intentionally sell some underperforming stock at a loss, in order to count that capital loss on your taxes — usually to cancel out a capital gains tax from some other stock you sold at a profit. Usually happens in the final weeks of a year, to stocks you don’t expect to go back up any time soon.

(Screenshotted OP is still probably really loving stupid.)

The Postman
May 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1605304935876280323?s=20&t=SuSuR0tGuIyZ7cEVc9P3Ag

please remember that tesla is not in trouble and people are merely moving their money to savings accounts

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Elon is pushing chud poo poo hard. Ben Shapiro, Libs of Tik Tok, and all kinds of other awful poo poo is now popping up on my feed constantly. I’m ready to tap out.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

I have the trending topics page bookmarked and it's showing me this

Edit: same with News, Sports, and Entertainment tabs lol

Synesthesian Fetish fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 22, 2022

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Pinche Rudo posted:

Elon is pushing chud poo poo hard. Ben Shapiro, Libs of Tik Tok, and all kinds of other awful poo poo is now popping up on my feed constantly. I’m ready to tap out.

Lol that you haven't already

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Am I reading correctly that only Tesla vehicles can be charged at those never-occupied Tesla charging stations everywhere that have replaced a poo poo ton of accessible parking spots?

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
We've been at sub $125 for a couple hours now. I'm hoping it hits $120 by EOD. Tomorrow will be another bloodbath as Elon will post all day and all night, making it worse for himself and others. It' great.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm finding the twitstock page amazingly cathartic, you get to see the same dipshit rabid nazis posting the same bollocks as they do on twitter but you also get to watch them lose their retirements savings in real time.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

run on sentience posted:

Am I reading correctly that only Tesla vehicles can be charged at those never-occupied Tesla charging stations everywhere that have replaced a poo poo ton of accessible parking spots?

Yes

It’s vile

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

learnincurve posted:

I'm finding the twitstock page amazingly cathartic, you get to see the same dipshit rabid nazis posting the same bollocks as they do on twitter but you also get to watch them lose their retirements savings in real time.

Ah, but who are the real nazis here? :smuggo:

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Wait the Trending Tab on Twitter is gone now??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

It's a testament to how habitual scrolling is for people that anyone is still using Twitter.