Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sir Kodiak posted:

Do you have a link to the release or any information on it? As in, what exactly they put out a release on, did they run advertisements on it, etc? I'm not saying I don't believe you, just curious about the details, and doing a search for it at this point is completely dominated by recent articles.

The DCCC released an oppo research summary and full report back in August, which noted that the nonprofit he claimed to run didn't exist and that his financial claims didn't seem to match up with reality. That's about it, though - they didn't dig deeper into his background, so they didn't discover things like his college lies or his family history lies.

The DCCC seem to have been the only ones who did any kind of oppo research on him, though. The NY Dem Party believes oppo research isn't their responsibility, and Santos' opponent appears to have been caught completely by surprise by this stuff.

Professional oppo researchers and other political operatives have been pushing an "actually the DCCC knew everything and it's the media's fault for not covering it" narrative, but as more and more lies come out, it's become clear that the DCCC only scratched the surface, taking most of his resume at his word and completely failing to follow up even when they knew something smelled funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

Professional oppo researchers and other political operatives have been pushing an "actually the DCCC knew everything and it's the media's fault for not covering it" narrative, but as more and more lies come out, it's become clear that the DCCC only scratched the surface, taking most of his resume at his word and completely failing to follow up even when they knew something smelled funny.

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I think the issue with people like Santos is that interrogating parties will just identify "conventional" lies or malfeasance which appear sufficient to show the person is a lying scumbag. At that point, the idea that the subject is also lying about literally everything else, ever becomes counterintuitive. With other responsibilities, limited resources, and a limit on how far you can leverage the mundane lies you've discovered, there's not normally a drive to dig further- and the other claims are so easy to check that, well, why would you need to check them? In this way, someone who lies pathologically about every drat thing is actually less likely to get widely exposed.

I think I'll call it the Tallarico paradox.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

First new poll out of Arizona by a major pollster shows that Sinema is incredibly unpopular, but the Senate race is still a toss-up whether she runs or not.

Two asterisks:

1) They only polled Ruben Gallego as the possible Dem nominee. There are other people who have expressed interest too, but Gallego seems like the likeliest candidate.

2) They polled Kari Lake as the Republican candidate, but it might be Mark Lamb, who is the Pinal County Sheriff, or Former Governor Doug Ducey.

Favorability:

In a 3-way race:

In a 2-way race:

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/1605923428770406401

Things could change, but Ducey clearly said recently that he doesn't plan to run for Senate in 2024, and the fact he's been consistent on his messaging about not running for Senate, seems like it's probably true.

And there's been a big recent push locally for Greg Stanton to go up against Gallego in the Dem primary; I could see the AZ Democratic Party supporting Stanton over Gallego.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

Mickey Mouse asked if I could get him the cash out of my mom's purse!

Soupy Sales was teaching a lesson about the critical evaluation of requests via parasocial relationships that people just weren't ready for.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Am I crazy or do these “bad boss” articles only ever seem to come out about women? Same thing with Amy klobuchar etc.

Surely there are plenty of male senators with weird requests about little things or who are abusive to staff.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Discendo Vox posted:

I think the issue with people like Santos is that interrogating parties will just identify "conventional" lies or malfeasance which appear sufficient to show the person is a lying scumbag. At that point, the idea that the subject is also lying about literally everything else, ever becomes counterintuitive. With other responsibilities, limited resources, and a limit on how far you can leverage the mundane lies you've discovered, there's not normally a drive to dig further- and the other claims are so easy to check that, well, why would you need to check them? In this way, someone who lies pathologically about every drat thing is actually less likely to get widely exposed.

I think I'll call it the Tallarico paradox.

Jesus Christ, that was quite the video.

"Oh that guy who used to review games on TV when I was a kid... I wonder what he's been up to?"

*2 hours later*

"....holy gently caress"

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
As the US is in the northern hemisphere, the winter equinox was yesterday!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

pencilhands posted:

Am I crazy or do these “bad boss” articles only ever seem to come out about women? Same thing with Amy klobuchar etc.

Surely there are plenty of male senators with weird requests about little things or who are abusive to staff.

Male "bad boss" articles usually have enough sexual harassment/assault included that nobody pays attention to lower level assholery.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Gyges posted:

Male "bad boss" articles usually have enough sexual harassment/assault included that nobody pays attention to lower level assholery.

Good point, you just made me think about cuomo lol.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Gyges posted:

On the other hand, <waves hand at Elon Musk in the media for the last X months>

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kalli posted:

On the other hand, <waves hand at Elon Musk in the media for the last X months>

for x equals months since he offered a horse for sex minus one

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

PT6A posted:

Jesus Christ, that was quite the video.

"Oh that guy who used to review games on TV when I was a kid... I wonder what he's been up to?"

*2 hours later*

"....holy gently caress"

the kicker that the video completely misses is that Tommy didn't even do the music for the original Earthworm Jim. Rearranged the tracks for the Special Edition? yes. Did the music for the 2nd game? yes. But the music for the original genesis/snes versions were done by Mark Miller (co-developer of the GEMS sound driver; composer on games such as Kid Chameleon, Chakan, and Ballz 3D)

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Meanwhile in NY Kathy Hochul is about to try and cram through a conservative anti-abortion judge for the state's highest court with the votes of Republicans.

https://twitter.com/alex_sammon/status/1606336356086534146

Hard to tell why NY Democrats poo poo the bed so hard this cycle.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Is there a particular reason why she's trying to get a lovely pick through like this?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is there a particular reason why she's trying to get a lovely pick through like this?

New York has a weird system where the state commission picks 7 nominees and the Governor has to choose from the list. Then, the new chief judge picks a person to become the court administrator.

Hochul picked this guy because he would be the first latino on the court and he was the only one of the 7 to publicly promise to appoint Hochul's preferred candidate to be the court administrator.

So, a combination of #MACHINEPOLITICS, terrible judgement, and trying to score points with both latinos and upstaters.

Old Surly
Dec 8, 2004

and all of your troubles are solved and gone
Big "more women prison guards" vibes

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/hemantmehta/status/1606362642716688408?s=20&t=Urb1h5MCcqIN_eZI_PAbbA

quote:

Michael Capps, a former Kansas lawmaker who once sponsored a bill to put the words “In God We Trust” in every federal building, has been found guilty of committing COVID relief fraud and money laundering.

Like other members of his party, he used his time in office to push Christianity on everyone. That’s why, in addition to his anti-trans and anti-abortion bills, Capps sponsored a bill to put “In God We Trust” in public buildings, including public schools. Capps even defended the bill by citing former president John Adams: “Statesmen may plan and speculate for Liberty, but it is Religion and Morality alone, which can establish the Principles upon which Freedom can securely stand.”

That bill eventually died in committee, but Capps’ point was clear: It was necessary to promote religion and morality because, in his mind, those two things were synonymous.

In 2020, when he ran for re-election, one of his campaign ads even opened with the line, “We’ve brought God back into our schools!”

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

jesus christ that's a large person. he just keeps loving going

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
A huge loser

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
when your gut develops its own rear end, time to lose weight

i'm a fat rear end so i'm allowed to say it

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Old Surly posted:

Big "more women prison guards" vibes

NY's first woman governor is appointing their first Latino judge on the court and the material impact is a court that will be worse on reproductive rights, labor, and climate change. Huge vibes.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
The enormous gut vs skinny shoulders is concerning. He’s on the metabolic syndrome express to Diabetesville, with a whistle stop in Stroketon.

Edit: This article provides a more flattering picture of him with his lawyer, who appears to be some kind of aging leprechaun.

https://amp.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article270254677.html

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 24, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What’s the imperial equivalent of one absolute unit?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

When you think about it, the real people to blame for this fraud are the godless heathens who fight to separate church and state. If it wasn't for them, and I assume their highly distracting and very sexy outfits, Satan wouldn't have had the in to tempt this absolute unit of God into sin.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

haveblue posted:

What’s the imperial equivalent of one absolute unit?

One chonker

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Given that Absolute Unit is metric, we can assume some nutty conversion like 1.445 chnkr to 1 AU.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

It’s insane to me that anyone alive has the thought process “wow first latino, let me ignore everything else”

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

pencilhands posted:

It’s insane to me that anyone alive has the thought process “wow first latino, let me ignore everything else”

To be fair, it wasn't only that. It was also "I have to pick someone from this list of 7 and he was the only one to publicly promise to appoint my friend to the be the court administrator."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Apropos of nothing in particular, when a giant winter storm results in thousands of flights across the country being cancelled over the weekend, what happens to travel planned for the following week?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

pencilhands posted:

There is a tendency among the DNC/DLC leadership types to see "First [position] of color/ethnicity/gender/orientation" as a paramount good in and of itself. It's more important to have a black Navajo trans lesbian who is terrible on the issues than someone good on the issues but doesn't break barriers. It's like they see terrible, disingenuous GOP arguments about diversity and say "I agree completely, but think it's great".

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Rand Brittain posted:

Apropos of nothing in particular, when a giant winter storm results in thousands of flights across the country being cancelled over the weekend, what happens to travel planned for the following week?

People with cancellations get stuffed into free seats or compensated or just hosed. My wife is out more and gets extra cranky drunk people yelling at her about christmas, and has to work overtime instead of hanging with the kids. I have to work overtime but mercifully away from the public. There's not a whole lot you can do. There are so many planes with so many seats. No amount of complaining will make a Boeing or Airbus spawn more seats or emerge more planes and pilots from the ether. People will complain, but presumably they prefer delays and cancellations to dying in a plane crash so the system, in this case, actually does work.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Dec 24, 2022

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Given the timing of the storm, a lot of the people with cancelled flights aren't going to need to complete their trips. They either never left from their home airport or are stuck at one of the hub airports. It's going to still gently caress up travel for a while, but if it happened after everyone made it to Grandma's it would be much worse.

Lots of people stranded at the hub airports will also take themselves out of the equation by going home via the roads since it's probably quicker to drive, for instance, 8-10 hours from Atlanta back home than wait for the next flight.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Given that Absolute Unit is metric, we can assume some nutty conversion like 1.445 chnkr to 1 AU.

Why are we assuming the Absolute Unit is metric when it was coined by people who weigh themselves in stones?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
hey could we wrap up the fat jokes and related shitposting please? dude is large and goofy, sure, but there are more interesting and meaningful things to talk about than his shape.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Fritz the Horse posted:

hey could we wrap up the fat jokes and related shitposting please? dude is large and goofy, sure, but there are more interesting and meaningful things to talk about than his shape.

lmao

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Fritz the Horse posted:

agreed, there are a lot of big guys in America (they are one of the most common types). his blemished history and experience manipulating the system are a lot more relevant to his thieving than his size. for example,

https://www.kake.com/story/38999004/state-lawmaker-asked-to-step-down-tries-to-clear-name

quote:

Aug 30, 2018 - In July, Republican officials hand-picked Michael Capps of Wichita to fill the vacancy for the Kansas House 85th District. Now those same supporters are asking him to step down.

According to Capps, his fellow party members are concerned after details surfaced about an investigation into Capps by the Kansas Department for Children and Families.

DCF documents show that he was a court-appointed special advocate volunteer for CASA. CASA partners adult volunteers with foster children to provide emotional support as they go through the court system.

Those documents show Capps was assigned a 5-year-old boy. Last year DCF removed that child along with other children from their foster home. Shortly after, the foster mother filed a complaint against Capps saying he caused emotional abuse for two boys.

The woman alleges Capps hugged and kissed the boys and allowed them to sit on his lap and rub his chest. He was also accused of babysitting the woman’s children, which CASA said is in violation of his duties. Capps admitted to be affectionate with the boys, but says he did not over step any boundaries.

A DCF investigation affirmed Capps caused emotional abuse. Capps filed and appeal. The state reversed the decision and it was upheld by the Office of Administrative Hearings, which called the allegations unsubstantiated, citing mistakes by DCF in filing the proper paperwork.

"I fought back and cleared my name,” said Capps. “I fought back and showed the system made a mistake."

Now his own party believes the allegations are serious enough to ask Capps to pull out of the race and resign from his seat in the House.

"We want to make sure the folks who represent us in the Kansas House are those of integrity and have the best interest of the people of Kansas including kids,” said Republican Speaker of the House Ron Ryckman.

Ryckman personally asked Capps to step aside, something Capps refuses to do.

He said he feels betrayed by his own party.

"I did nothing wrong and I was cleared," said Capps.

CASA said Capps resigned from being a volunteer with the program and then was decertified. No criminal charges were filed in the case, and the DCF case was dismissed.

A vile character who had the misfortune of getting caught, in my opinion.

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 24, 2022

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gyges posted:

There is a tendency among the DNC/DLC leadership types to see "First [position] of color/ethnicity/gender/orientation" as a paramount good in and of itself. It's more important to have a black Navajo trans lesbian who is terrible on the issues than someone good on the issues but doesn't break barriers. It's like they see terrible, disingenuous GOP arguments about diversity and say "I agree completely, but think it's great".

I shamefully admit to voting for Lori Lightfoot on the grounds of "black lesbian? Surely she'll be a progressive champion of the disenfranchised and oppressed"

:negative:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Rand Brittain posted:

This happened to my girlfriend's dad yesterday, he was supposed to fly out to spend Xmas with us and they cancelled his flight at the last minute.
He rescheduled for next month, but I dunno the details on what all went about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gyges posted:

It's like they see terrible, disingenuous GOP arguments about diversity and say "I agree completely, but think it's great".

There's a strong tendency in the Democratic party which is exactly this, pretty much. Been said that a problem with liberals is basically completely buying into Republican propaganda, just drawing slightly different conclusions. The common element is ignoring material conditions and treating the aesthetic as literally all that matters.