Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Steam sale when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

jokes posted:

That's not a normal, or proscribed way to use an apple device. In fact it's, explicitly, a hack. It's a filepath and Valve recognized it's stupid to change that without notice. Especially a particularly popular one used by, probably, a significant plurality of users.

It would be Apple's problem if they pushed an update and all the apps that have access to your photo library don't have access to the photo library anymore because they decided to change the filepath of the photo library without notice.

That would probably make the news, in fact.
It’s not a normal or proscribed way of using the phone, but it is a way of using it that determined users will pursue. Apple will try and actively prevent you from going off-label, Valve will not, but neither signed up to support modified setups. And anything on a Steam deck that doesn’t launch from within the Steam GUI is a modified function.

We shouldn’t take the Desktop Mode button as, substantially, a commitment to actively make sure that whatever you want to do on the desktop will work. I think it’s a commitment that you will be freely able to try. It’s for power users. YMMV on all that.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Steam sale when

literally right now

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

All I want is for Dishonored 2 to be playable on the Deck… I assume it’s exclusion is just the Void engine being a terrible monstrosity

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Here’s a question: I got Hitman 3 from Epic back when it was exclusive to that storefront, and it’s got all the bells and whistles that I’d have to pay like, $150 to get on Steam.

Has anybody played Epic launch’d Hitman 3 on the deck? Does it work or should I be getting a pricey duplicate?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

lol, the Steam version of Celeste is now on sale for $5. WELP might as well just buy it again

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Basic Chunnel posted:

It’s not a normal or proscribed way of using the phone, but it is a way of using it that determined users will pursue. Apple will try and actively prevent you from going off-label, Valve will not, but neither signed up to support modified setups. And anything on a Steam deck that doesn’t launch from within the Steam GUI is a modified function.

We shouldn’t take the Desktop Mode button as, substantially, a commitment to actively make sure that whatever you want to do on the desktop will work. I think it’s a commitment that you will be freely able to try. It’s for power users. YMMV on all that.
They literally marketed the ability to use the Deck like a normal PC as a feature when they announced it.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Steam sale when
NOW.

loquacius posted:

might as well just buy it again
Thread title.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Even though I had to buy it twice, at $5 a pop that's still $10 less than base price!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

loquacius posted:

might as well just buy it again

second vote for thread title

King Boo
Feb 24, 2008

nihil novi sub sole

Basic Chunnel posted:

As incredible as the Steam Deck’s design is for converting KB+M oriented games to mobile, it can’t match a standard PC’s capacity to make most old and long-abandoned games work. Even newer games from dead studios (eg, the Carmageddon remake) can be caught in the lurch. The hardware can only do so much.

I had to tinker a bit (and then a bit more) but I got C:MD working in Proton-6.5-GE-2 with parameters:
code:
PROTON_ENABLE_NVAPI=1 DRI_PRIME=1 %command%
I had to delete the compdata folder for the game and move/'uninstall'/re-discover the game files to clear out the old prefix entirely and get the controller recognized. I only gave it 15 or so minutes but it didn't crash and stayed at 60fps. ymmv

Valve should set up community proton configurations that can do these things automatically for regular-brained people

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

King Boo posted:

I had to tinker a bit (and then a bit more) but I got C:MD working in Proton-6.5-GE-2 with parameters:
code:
PROTON_ENABLE_NVAPI=1 DRI_PRIME=1 %command%
I had to delete the compdata folder for the game and move/'uninstall'/re-discover the game files to clear out the old prefix entirely and get the controller recognized. I only gave it 15 or so minutes but it didn't crash and stayed at 60fps. ymmv

Valve should set up community proton configurations that can do these things automatically for regular-brained people
Oh man, thank you! I wouldn’t ever claim that Carmageddon is “good” but I played and loved it when I was 8 and it is the most blunt kind of cathartic pressure valve

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’m scrolling the steam sale and I’ve wishlisted a bunch of stuff that looks mildly interesting and I’m already at £50 but that’s like 20 games

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Epic store has OG Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics for free today, anyone tried those on a deck? They’re mostly mouse controlled so I imagine the run fine, but I’m a bit worried about how small the text is going to be

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Weren't those games originally designed for, like, 480x360 screen

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

There are mods for the original two that can change resolution and (I think) scale text, but idk if they work on the deck. Also, you may have to pass through the cursed site of NMA (stands for Now Mostly nAzis) to get them.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

There are mods for the original two that can change resolution and (I think) scale text, but idk if they work on the deck. Also, you may have to pass through the cursed site of NMA (stands for Now Mostly nAzis) to get them.

I don't see why they wouldn't. They're just command line tools that patch the exe file. You may have to run them on a Windows PC and then move the install folder over to the Deck.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

jokes posted:

Weren't those games originally designed for, like, 480x360 screen

They were designed for a ~17 inch 800x600 display.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Tiny Timbs posted:

I don't see why they wouldn't. They're just command line tools that patch the exe file. You may have to run them on a Windows PC and then move the install folder over to the Deck.

Yeah they’re from epic so they’re the windows copies, should be “easy”* to sort out mods and such, I figured something like that was out there

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Squiggle posted:

The fact that they didn't just keep a symlink to it is boggling, anyway.

How do symlinks work in that automount area? Maybe you can do something with udev or other fanciness. We’ll see in 3.5, but it could still cause problems for things that expect the old name to be on the same file system as the SD card contents or be a directory or other such fragility

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

King Boo posted:

FWIW, the GloriousEggroll Proton builds include protonfixes, which applies those and even more gnarly fixes to games.

I doubt Valve wants to touch this kind of thing though, because the maintenance burden is enormous and you have to watch games like a hawk in case some developer decides to update and now the fix you are applying is breaking.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Right, finally home for Christmas, time to sniff the top vent

edit: well, I'm liking the smell but it's taking ages to update. I assume it's pulling down the latest one from today

Carpet fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 22, 2022

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I got Elite Dangerous running, but man is it

A. Difficult to read text

B. A massive learning curve wrt controls, coming from a HOTAS

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Annath posted:

I got Elite Dangerous running, but man is it

A. Difficult to read text

B. A massive learning curve wrt controls, coming from a HOTAS

turn antialiasing off, it makes the orbit lines terrible but fixes all the text

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Basic Chunnel posted:

Not that I relish the idea of having to keep track of SD cards, but if you’re primarily a “Steam Guy”, aka someone who installs and runs things off Steam rather than take advantage of third party launchers or standalone apps, does the platform get confused if you have multiple SDs with different games installed on them?

Like I assume it will just throw an error if you run an executable that isn’t there, but will it break anything if I run, say, Hitman 3 off SD #1, run Elden Ring off SD #2, then swap out back to Hitman 3?
Steam will properly recognize what is currently playable on your Deck, including stuff you've installed to uSDs. So, to use your example, it won't even see Hitman as installed on your Deck if you have uSD #2 in and Elden Ring will show the "Install" prompt if uSD #1 is in your Deck.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Here’s a question: I got Hitman 3 from Epic back when it was exclusive to that storefront, and it’s got all the bells and whistles that I’d have to pay like, $150 to get on Steam.

Has anybody played Epic launch’d Hitman 3 on the deck? Does it work or should I be getting a pricey duplicate?
Looks like at least one person has managed to get it working relatively easily through the Heroic Launcher - which is available through the Discover app in Desktop mode:

ProtonDB User posted:

Tinker Steps:Launcher: Heroic Games Launcher, Custom Proton, Changed configuration

I use a few cosmetic mods, and while the mod manager doesn't seem to properly deploy mods through winetricks/protontricks, copying the files straight over from an existed modded game install on Windows worked just fine.
Battery Performance:

Switched the refresh rate to 40 Hz and enabled FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR 1.0) in-game.
Difficult To Read Text:

The default text size is abysmally small on the Steam Deck, but many UI elements and the subtitle size allow adjustment. Some text is still a bit on the small side, but it’s not too terrible.
Save Games:Other

If using Heroic, make sure to force-sync your cloud saves if you want in-level saves. Everything else is synced with IOI’s servers.

From what I’ve seen, the Steam version is extremely easy to get working on here, but I just wanted to file a report showing that the Epic version is able to install, run, and even be modded with a little extra effort.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

what the gently caress

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

RandomBlue posted:

what the gently caress

:frontear:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

Steam will properly recognize what is currently playable on your Deck, including stuff you've installed to uSDs. So, to use your example, it won't even see Hitman as installed on your Deck if you have uSD #2 in and Elden Ring will show the "Install" prompt if uSD #1 is in your Deck.

Looks like at least one person has managed to get it working relatively easily through the Heroic Launcher - which is available through the Discover app in Desktop mode:

Awesome, thanks!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

tater_salad posted:

second vote for thread title

ok

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Hammer Bro. posted:

Just add a symlink by default and nobody will even notice.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
What’s a good game to test the gyro aiming stuff? I’ve had this thing a few months and never messed with it.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Disappointing Pie posted:

What’s a good game to test the gyro aiming stuff? I’ve had this thing a few months and never messed with it.

Aperture Desk Job is a good one.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Anyone else forget their steam deck on the holiday trip home? I feel like an moron. Christmas is ruined.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Chinook posted:

Aperture Desk Job is a good one.

Everyone should play this anyway. Nate Bargatze voices the Core that guides you through the game, and it’s fantastic!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I played through all of River City Girls 2 on deck with the beta patch, and that game rules. As far as I can tell it never dropped below 60fps.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

UP AND ADAM posted:

Anyone else forget their steam deck on the holiday trip home? I feel like an moron. Christmas is ruined.

Buy another one.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Any similar tips for Cyberpunk 2077? The text looks pretty awful and not sure I want to bother playing on the deck vs. my PC. It has a steam deck preset but still it's blurry and hard to read.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
What games should I buy on sale and then never play

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Consummate Professional posted:

What games should I buy on sale and then never play

I am going to buy the call of duty

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Thanks thread for all the info. Just placed an order and hope to turn this into a portable Trails box. I played Sky on my PSP and have wanted to play thru more of them but just can’t be tethered to my PC for hundreds of hours of JRPG. Seems like most (all?) of the Trails games are quite playable with varying degrees of effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Buy another one.

Might as well just buy it again