Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
might get Ullmark vs Hellbuyck tonight in a Vezina contenders showdown. Naturally I expect the game to end like 6-5 as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

eXXon posted:

No further comment at this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UkheE56-fA

gently caress Dick Cheney, its just a TV show quote

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/buffalosabres/status/1605677371922735108?s=46&t=5noBnDGWvjP0Ddztur36yw

January is gonna be brutal, the Sabres are now going to play 12 games in three weeks.

Edit: hopefully this also means they’ll be well-rested and will dunk on Columbus again on Tuesday.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 22, 2022

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I didn't get a chance to post how angry the Panthers were that they lost to the Devils last night so that was fun.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

mcmagic posted:

I didn't get a chance to post how angry the Panthers were that they lost to the Devils last night so that was fun.

Were they angrier than McDrai were when they lost to the ducks? :newlol:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Athletic had an article that, among other stats, shows the changes in schedule strength for every team in the league. Calgary and Washington's schedules are going to get significantly easier. Montreal, New Jersey, and the Rangers have had the easiest schedules and will see the biggest jumps in opponent quality.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So if you're wondering why Toronto and Philly are playing at 2PM today:

BSH posted:

Alright it’s 11AM on a Thursday. You’re probably at work. If not at work, probably running around doing last-minute holiday stuff. So why, then, are your Philadelphia Flyers playing a hockey game at 2PM? On a Thursday? In December?

Say hello to the Toronto Maple Leafs annual Next Gen game.

What is this?
Beginning in 2017, the Toronto Maple Leafs have held an annual afternoon hockey game, called The Next Gen Game, right before Christmas, that aims to get new Maple Leafs fans excited about the team. As you likely already know, the Maple Leafs are a very popular sports team. Tickets are wildly expensive, if they are available at all. So, for one day, all of the rich suits that own all of the excellent tickets in the arena donate them back to the team, who then share them with a bunch of local kiddos.

But the kids aren’t just spectators at the Next Gen game. There will be kids who get to stand on the bench with the team during warm-ups. Kids making some P.A. announcements in the arena. Kids filling in on all kinds of jobs relating to the hockey ops and the in-game experience. For a city in which taking your kids to a game is unattainable for most fans of the team, this is a very cool thing to do.

Fun facts about this oddly-timed hockey game
Remember the time legendary EBUG/random-guy-that-worked-in-the-building David Ayers had to suit up for the Carolina Hurricanes, and went on to beat the Leafs in their own barn?

That was The Next Gen Game.

frankly I think it's a crime to expose innocent children to the Philadelphia Flyers hockey team

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

DJExile posted:

So if you're wondering why Toronto and Philly are playing at 2PM today:

frankly I think it's a crime to expose innocent children to the Philadelphia Flyers hockey team
Huh. I always figured hockey's camp days would be between christmas and new years.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
That fun fact isn't very fun nor is it a fact. The Dreaded David Ayres Debacle was a regular evening game. The Next Gen GameTM that season was against Carolina, but was earlier in December and the Leafs actually won that game 8-6 and it was loving awesome.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Dr Zaius posted:

That fun fact isn't very fun nor is it a fact. The Dreaded David Ayres Debacle was a regular evening game. The Next Gen GameTM that season was against Carolina, but was earlier in December and the Leafs actually won that game 8-6 and it was loving awesome.

That was such a stupid/amazing game. Just look at this summary: https://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/201912230TOR.html

Leafs go up 3-0 after 5 minutes. Then give up 5 unanswered to go down 5-3 after 2 including the Canes getting 3 in a 1:04. Then they score 3 in 59 seconds including 2 in 6 seconds to regain the lead.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Jiricek and Nemec looking pretty solid in the A so far: https://twitter.com/Thibaud_Chatel/status/1602685777233731585

Nemec doesn't turn 19 until February. Really can't wait to see him and Luke in New Jersey (honestly they could use them both right about now if Marino/Graves are out for any length of time).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
This may only interest me, but here are the teams sorted by their penalty (or rather, Power Play Opportunity) differential as of right now:

code:
TEAM             PP   PK    +/-
Red Wings	116	96	20
Capitals           113 96	17
Lightning	118	104	14
Canucks        108	94	14
Knights   	100	86	14
Jets         	100	86	14
Sabres	        121	109	12
Blues	        91	80	11
Penguins	109	100	9
Senators	123	117	6
Maple Leafs	105	99	6
Avalanche	105	100	5
Kings	        126	124	2
Rangers	        103	101	2
Predators 	108	108	0
Flyers	        98	98	0
Blackhawks	96	96	0
Wild	        107	108	-1
Devils	        102	103	-1
Bruins	        118	120	-2
Kraken	        98	100	-2
Islanders	98	100	-2
Hurricanes	108	111	-3
Oilers	        124	128	-4
Panthers	121	128	-7
Sharks	        93	101	-8
Blue Jackets	86	99	-13
Flames	        112	127	-15
Canadiens	103	118	-15
Stars	        101	118	-17
Coyotes	        104	130	-26
Ducks	         95	127	-32
Not surprised the Caps are near the top as there is probably some eagerness to give Ovi opportunities to sock dingers, but dunno what's up with the Red Wings. The Stars being atop the Western Conference despite a -17 penalty differential (and despite the fact you'd assume they're in the Bedard lottery based on SAS Stars fans' doomposting) is impressive.

The Coyotes and Ducks commit so many obvious penalties due to being terrible that Calling An Even Game is a lost cause.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 22, 2022

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
THE REFS CAN EAT MY rear end

now and forever, all sports, into eternity

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

Somewhere right now, Tim Peel just looked toward the skies and got out a knife and fork.

I will say that number does seem right for Arizona and Anaheim though. They do a lot of chasing.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Shinjobi posted:

It's gotten much better lately, the Stars are one of the least penalized teams in the month of December.. through October and November they were blowing everyone else in the league out on negative penalty differential lol

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I went through my pictures looking for FuckingRefs.gif but I found this ol classic instead so hey

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

Eric the Mauve posted:

SAS Stars fans' doomposting) is impressive.
:thanks:

Shinjobi posted:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

I went through my pictures looking for FuckingRefs.gif but I found this ol classic instead so hey

Unironically the best tattoo I've ever seen

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I've seen that photo a hundred times but I didn't notice the MESSIER/MESSIAH thing until right now.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

DJExile posted:

neva fuhget nine eleven... dats da only two numbas I can eva ruhmembuh is nine and eleven. and whaddeva comes afta da woid "local"

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
The jeans with an American flag are a perfect touch, too.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Apologies for the lovely quality but still, enjoy flyers.png:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Zodijackylite posted:

The jeans with an American flag are a perfect touch, too.

I'm also willing to bet his two favorite players were Graves and Messier.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/nhlbruins/status/1606043287550193665?s=46&t=Jv7YxRD_CX02pruCoof7zA

Step One: don’t sign an unrepentant racist shithead who bullies special needs kids without doing the bare loving minimum of research

This is so embarrassing, just fire Sweeney or Neely

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1606045351495888896?s=46&t=Jv7YxRD_CX02pruCoof7zA

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Step two: fire the team president who knew exactly what he was doing and figured the PR storm would blow over after a few days

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the people we hired to tell us we did nothing wrong have agreed

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/nhlbruins/status/1606043287550193665?s=46&t=Jv7YxRD_CX02pruCoof7zA

Step One: don’t sign an unrepentant racist shithead who bullies special needs kids without doing the bare loving minimum of research

This is so embarrassing, just fire Sweeney or Neely

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1606045351495888896?s=46&t=Jv7YxRD_CX02pruCoof7zA

Complete shitshow. Everyone knew the situation, Bruins tried to pull a fast one and got caught. Garbage franchise.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

WeaponX posted:

Complete shitshow. Everyone knew the situation, Bruins tried to pull a fast one and got caught. Garbage franchise.

The fact that it managed to piss off fans and their own loving players should have resulted in someone being fired, but literally no one wants to take accountability and they seem to think it will just go away now.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I was actually expecting the report to point a finger at some low level guy and say "him, its his fault", instead it just says "aww it was just one of those things it's nobody's fault"

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I was expecting them to not actually follow through and do the report

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I was expecting them to not actually follow through and do the report

They released it 2.5 days before Christmas. This is as close to not doing it as you can get while still technically finishing what you promised.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The tweet says he's still under contract which I guess is because they still owe him the money but didn't they at least terminate his employment, so to speak?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Eric the Mauve posted:

The tweet says he's still under contract which I guess is because they still owe him the money but didn't they at least terminate his employment, so to speak?

yeah he's not actually playing for any of their teams, but they can't just terminate the contract without getting in a fight with the NHLPA

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Eric the Mauve posted:

Once you give a contract out I don't expect they can just not pay the guy because of something he did years ago that was already public knowledge before he signed the deal. I suspect he's on their books till the summer and there's nothing they can do about it. Should have pulled an oilers and leak the contract a week in advance to guage public reaction, would have saved them 800k

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

If you buy a second hand car, which is visibly on fire in the yard, the service book says it’s been set on fire a bunch of times and the salesman tells you not to buy it because it’s on fire.. you probably can’t get a refund once you find out it runs a bit hot.

That said it’s almost impressive that Miller hasn’t (even pretended to) offer to donate proceeds to charity (or I dunno the victim) and is just happy banking it all - maybe he’s realised he’s beyond any PR return.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Nother night, nother record broken.

Disclaimer though:

https://twitter.com/CapitalsPR/status/1606112182923427840?s=20&t=GMofGBFULquvqt8Hmf7Ucg

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 23, 2022

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Pens are close to being a good playoff team, but regularly running Dumoulin and Carter out there in important situations seems like it might be their undoing. If they could upgrade one or both of them, that'd go a long way towards giving me some confidence in their chances.

Carolina is a tough matchup. I'd much rather draw the Rangers. Devils...I guess we'll see how the Pens look against them. But Carolina I think plays the kind of game that frustrates the Pens.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Ray Borque owned, holds the record with 19 shots on goal in 1 game

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

The Dirty Burger posted:

Ray Borque owned, holds the record with 19 shots on goal in 1 game

In that game, Ron Tugnutt made 70 saves on 73 shots, both records. It ended in a 3--3 tie.

Tugnutt led goalies with 29 losses that year, along with an .885 save percentage and 4.05 GAA, but still earned a vote for the Vezina trophy. His Nordiques were 16-50-14, good for last place in the league by 11 points, behind the 23-46-11 Maple Leafs. That Quebec team had three Hockey Hall of Famers - 21-year-old Joe Sakic (48-61-109), 19-year-old Mats Sundin (23-36-59), and 39-year-old Guy Lafleur (12-16-28) in his last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

109 points on the last place team, what a loving loser, why didn't he carry his team to the playoffs with that performance?