Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Hal: I’m not my father and my brother is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

gently caress, NO MORE BATS LEFT, THIS IS THE FUCKIN CUBS LINEUP.

who is going to have an OPS+ over 100 on this team?????? How is the lineup worse than last year?????

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

gently caress it, let's poach Frank from the Original Buffaloes.

I guess they'll kick the tires on Franmil again.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ihatepants posted:

Pretty sure the Yankees are done spending despite Cohen showing Hal up. Hal was asked about it during the Judge press conference and his response was basically "we have to take a look at it sometime soon because it's been nice that teams have been controlling spending and suppressing player salaries the last decade."

Funny how there's no mention of how this "competitive balance" doesn't include the low payroll part of it and salary floor. Because I'm sure those teams definitely agree with the "no chance of making the playoffs" part of his assessment.

There really was no one worth spending on after they got Rodon. Conforto is meh. They always needed to attack the trade market.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Healthy Conforto would rake in the little league park if the Yankees signed him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

davecrazy posted:

Healthy Conforto would rake in the little league park if the Yankees signed him.

Maybe? He's coming off of a meh year and a full season off. He's a decent flyer but he's not a guy that I'm going to get worked up over missing.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Ogmius815 posted:

Someone explain like I’m five what the Braves plan is for shortstop and why they didn’t sign anyone. I always assumed they’d resign Swanson.

Keep in mind that I hate the Braves and would love if the explanation made them seem bad.

He had his best year in a walk year? Seriously sometimes it's better to zig when everyone else zags. They have a ton of money already invested in other players who are better hitters. It's all about allocation. No team can field an All-star at every position, so why not just use the future money elsewhere. They will mostly miss the defense, Dansby was extremely streaky as a hitter. He is not Turner or Correa. He propped up his payday by swinging for the fences to get his 25 hr each year. This lead to whole months where he looked like he was just guessing on pitches. Right now shortstops with Power/hit tools are seemingly the most expensive players in baseball. Despite being drafted number 1 overall, and having a great walk year Dansby is really just a guy.
Also the plan is to throw a lot of AAAA type guys at the position until one sticks. Arcia,Grissom,Shewmake,Adrianza,Hoy.

TL;DR Dansby is more likely to regress as a hitter then get better. He is a great shortstop but not worth 25 million a year.

chilihead fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 23, 2022

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Blue Jays successfully got worse over the off-season good job Shatkins.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Going back a bit, I think I would rather have Conteras than Sean Murphy. Guess the Braves disagree

Catcher is such a black hole offensively across the league, I'd take Conteras' bat over whatever defensive flaws he might have. Defense is overrated anyway

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
:siren:Big Twins News:siren:
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1606312947256594434

eta: Wil:qq:
https://twitter.com/sdutPosner/status/1606310833117487104
As a very baby dads fan I don't fully understand the market's love of the man, but it sure is strong

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 23, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JV only did an insta post for Houston...

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

oh good, 18 months into this saga the Dodgers were "still discussing how to proceed" last night

morally bankrupt ghouls can't decide if they should cut the serial abuser!

https://twitter.com/Jack_A_Harris/status/1606317845381406720

quote:

Yet, as of Thursday night, club executives were still discussing how they would proceed, according to people with knowledge of the situation, and could wait to make a final decision until closer to the Jan. 6 deadline to either release Bauer or activate him.

The team would like to gather more information about precisely what led to the arbitrator’s decision. But confidentiality rules in MLB’s sexual assault and domestic violence policy, which was jointly negotiated by the league and player’s union, make it unlikely the Dodgers will learn much, if anything, beyond Thursday’s statement or receive a copy of the arbitrator’s final report.
What is this loving garbage?? What more details do you possibly need at this point?

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 23, 2022

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Ogmius815 posted:

Someone explain like I’m five what the Braves plan is for shortstop and why they didn’t sign anyone. I always assumed they’d resign Swanson.

Keep in mind that I hate the Braves and would love if the explanation made them seem bad.

The Braves only pay anyone if it’s either an under market extension or a one-year prove it deal, hth

Their plan is to swim in a money bin like Scrooge McDuck and rely on the fact that their current roster is probably good enough to make the postseason.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

bawfuls posted:

oh good, 18 months into this saga the Dodgers were "still discussing how to proceed" last night

What is this loving garbage?? What more details do you possibly need at this point?
I'm sorry bawfuls, this is absolute poo poo and you all deserve better as fans

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

They're waiting to see what the public reaction might be if they keep him.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Gerblederp posted:

Just as well they had so much lined up when they traded Teoscar Hernandez.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

bravesword posted:

The Braves only pay anyone if it’s either an under market extension or a one-year prove it deal, hth

Their plan is to swim in a money bin like Scrooge McDuck and rely on the fact that their current roster is probably good enough to make the postseason.

I wonder why they took that one-year deal with Donaldson and paid him $23m, that was so unlike them

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

do the cubs really think they're going to bunt their way to 80 wins next year? why won't they sign a person who can hit a baseball, with a bat????

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
they're bunting to 90 wins so I don't understand your post

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Going back a bit, I think I would rather have Conteras than Sean Murphy. Guess the Braves disagree

Catcher is such a black hole offensively across the league, I'd take Conteras' bat over whatever defensive flaws he might have. Defense is overrated anyway

This is my hesitation still even apart from reading some arms that at the very least could’ve gone into a package for an outfielder. That position was sorted.

bravesword posted:

I’d probably let another couple years pass since a World Series title to start complaining too much about the Braves pinching pennies but that’s just me.

elentar fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 23, 2022

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

do the cubs really think they're going to bunt their way to 80 wins next year? why won't they sign a person who can hit a baseball, with a bat????

Tucker Barnhart is going to pitch frame us to a World Series

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

elentar posted:

This is my hesitation still even apart from reading some arms that at the very least could’ve gone into a package for an outfielder. That position was sorted.

when franchises like the Oakland A's are ready to make deals for just like, the absolute worst terms to send away their elite defensive catcher with a bat you gotta take 'em

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

gently caress, NO MORE BATS LEFT, THIS IS THE FUCKIN CUBS LINEUP.

who is going to have an OPS+ over 100 on this team?????? How is the lineup worse than last year?????

Don't you worry their legacy of hitting success will be carried on by Seiya's heroic season with a 103 OPS+

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

They're waiting to see what the public reaction might be if they keep him.
"Well he's a very polarizing figure, some fans hate him and some love him, so people will be mad no matter what we do. Better just keep him then to not waste they money. We are very smart!"

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 23, 2022

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

bawfuls posted:

"Well he's a very polarizing figure, some fans hate him and some love him, do people will be mad no matter what we do. Better just keep him then to not waste they money. We are very smart!"

The Bauer takes from my coworkers have been almost universally disappointing. It's wild that ppl think he was acquitted because the case was dropped.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah most people seem to think he was either proven innocent or implied innocent based on the legal outcomes. And there is very little awareness of the existence of three victims not just one. Not good!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's a former minor league baseball player who you might remember from an article a few years back where he showed his minor league contract and pay and how abysmally low it is/was and helped shed light on the issue. Well since then he's created a semi-popular YouTube channel in which he collaborates fairly often with Trevor Bauer and it's probably helped him rehab his image. Eric Sim is a turd.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

new dipshit just dropped

https://twitter.com/NotMrTibbs/status/1606326088828755968

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Gerblederp posted:

Self inflicted. If they just kept Teo and signed Bassitt it would’ve been fine.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I hate baseball writers so much. A whole industry of George Wills

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 23, 2022

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

elentar posted:

I’d probably let another couple years pass since a World Series title to start complaining too much about the Braves pinching pennies but that’s just me.

I thought the same thing. After the Braves won in 2021 I was convinced that nothing they could do for at least a decade would upset me. But they're trying really hard to do it. In that time they let Freeman walk over pennies, emptied out half the farm system to replace him with a worse player, emptied out the other half of the farm system to replace one of the other guys they traded, still don't have a full lineup, and still have Marcell Ozuna on the roster. But hey, they've achieved cost certainty in 2027 or whatever.

bravesword fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 23, 2022

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Maybe they don’t find any of the candidates appealing.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

bawfuls posted:

"Well he's a very polarizing figure, some fans hate him and some love him, so people will be mad no matter what we do. Better just keep him then to not waste they money. We are very smart!"

IIRC everyone in the clubhouse wants him gone? So if they bring him back they're also pissing off their players

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It may just be that they will try and trade him instead of outright releasing him

I don't think they are dumb enough to let him back in the clubhouse or whatever

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'd ask what the Dodgers could possibly get for him, especially at his money, but the Cubs were thrilled to give up their top prospect for an abuser so I guess anything is possible

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah I seem to remember the Astros being particularly thrilled about the abuser they traded for as well, lol.

Unfortunately it seems like Bauer is going to pitch again, I guess the allure of having a former Cy-caliber starter for your team on the cheap is worth more than taking the high road and not employing a guy who has assaulted multiple women.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Craptacular! posted:

Not related to Bauer specifically, bit a lot of teams are very much not in "win now no matter what" mode. poo poo, the A's are trying very deliberately to make their audience leave.

The A's are the plot to the movie Major League except the team wants to move to Vegas, not Miami.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

General Bullshit posted:

The A's are the plot to the movie Major League except the team wants to move to Vegas, not Miami.

Also it's a lot easier to make a team garbage than the movie leads you to believe

e: granted, the way Cleveland built their team in that movie would have guaranteed 120 losses minimum, movie magic in action

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

bawfuls posted:

https://twitter.com/Jack_A_Harris/status/1606317845381406720

lmao jesus, how was this not decided the moment he was suspended at the very latest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Johnny Bravo posted:

lmao jesus, how was this not decided the moment he was suspended at the very latest
I suspect it may partially be that they fear the same thing I fear... which is Bauer staying in the NL West.

Do not want this man in Southern California.