Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

STAC Goat posted:

Nothing beats baseball for pure versatility of ways to enjoy it and be a fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
https://twitter.com/justdelossantos/status/1606379130966183948

BIG MOVES

Diego wasn't "good" but he could occasionally hit the ball very far, and I enjoyed when that happened

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

So is it Wade that ends up taking the bench for this move?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

during a high stakes game i definitely like having gamecast up since it's ahead of the broadcast, that way i know whether to avert my eyes or prepare to start yelling and banging on the table (celebration)

Playoffs are too stressful, every loving pitch is a nightmare. I wish I could get twilight sedation through the whole thing

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
If the Giants don't do the identical twin switcheroo mid at bat I will be VERY upset

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

zoux posted:

Playoffs are too stressful, every loving pitch is a nightmare. I wish I could get twilight sedation through the whole thing

i can't remember the last time I was stressed over playoff baseball, it's been years. maybe im just getting too old for it.

or i root for the Angels

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

HOT STOVE IS HEATING UP BABY
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1606392677305655331?s=20&t=IYH6x5MeQ_0UUybtxYK0mQ

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Dbacks getting Lourdes Gurriel, too, not bad.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I really don't get why the D-Backs were so intent on trading Varsho, but Moreno is very good

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cubs should've done that instead of signing loving Barnhart.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
Every name in that trade so far is a good player, but seems like the Jays need to get a little more back, right?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

That's an awful trade for the Jays

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Milovan Drecun posted:

Every name in that trade so far is a good player, but seems like the Jays need to get a little more back, right?
I would assume they are, but we'll see what the final deal is

If it were me, I would have traded Kirk instead since I don't think he sticks at catcher very long

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really don't get why the D-Backs were so intent on trading Varsho, but Moreno is very good

The only place the Diamondbacks have depth is in the outfield. They still have a few playable regulars that will be similar in offensive output to Varsho.

Their catcher situation is a bit more grim, so getting a really good catcher prospect for a player you can pretty cheaply replace is nice!

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I love the Taylor Rogers signing. RPs are volatile but it looks like he was great last year before he ran into bad BABIP luck.

Conforto is OK. Risky, obviously but the upside is huge and it's a 2 year deal.

Every single Giants fan online has been melting down but I like their offseason. I intend to be smug online if Carlos Correa's contract looks bad a year from now.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

Seriously, he catches and plays outfield.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

OK now the deal is bad for the Blue Jays

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1606395177123422224?s=20&t=-JnMVhiJ3wBZYlTSM4eUvg

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Popete posted:

Seriously, he catches and plays outfield.

I dunno, he doesn't call a Good Game.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

FlamingLiberal posted:

OK now the deal is bad for the Blue Jays
Jesus, yeah it is.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Sydin posted:

Do they still have the rights to Gary Varsho?

Out of the Jays catchers I'd have figured Moreno was the only untouchable there, and while Varsho is good I'm not sure anyone in the US would say he's Top 10 Prospect value good, especially if you're only going to use him as a corner OF.

and yes, if the Cubs didn't offer Happ+someone with team control for that package from the Jays Jed should be tossed in the Chicago river- today.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

This makes the Diamondbacks look like a MLB caliber team next year. I like Varsho, he's a cool player, I'd rather have just Gurriel, let alone a real offensive catcher

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
That looks like a hell of a lot for Varsho

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Lol that's a terrible trade

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Shapiro should stick to politics. That trade is perplexing.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Trading a top 5 prospect for a league average bat is just loving insane

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

And Gurriel is also good

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

No I think it owns actually and I have this totally sustainable Christian Walker the Cubbies would love if they'd like to part with PC-A

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Moreno, Hernandez and Gurriel for Varsho and Erik Swanson is loving calamitous. Like they turned a top 5 prospect, a silver slugger corner outfielder and another starting outfielder into a middle reliever and a platoon bat.

Like, the Hernandez comp is bad enough but so far he seems like a far worse hitter then Gurriel (and also, as I said, has a pronounced platoon split).

e: Varsho, 2022 on his good split: 240/317/484
Gurriel 2022 overall: 291/343/400

They're betting really hard on this guy having a Bautista-like breakout.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Don't forget the reliever prospect!! All those years of control baby

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Like just sign Peralta and run everything back. There was nothing forcing this trade.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Gotta think the Blue Jays woud've been way better off if they did literally nothing this off-season but re-sign Stripling.

Who's the 4th OF when Kiermaier and/or Springer are hurt?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Merrifield and Biggio

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Outfield defence is the story the team is going with, I suppose. Can't say I'm very convinced. At absolute minimum you would expect better value on the trades.

https://twitter.com/bnicholsonsmith/status/1606406246009118733?s=20&t=O60-8H0rPn15jIm7y2kwSw

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Seems like a big overpay by the Jays. They'll be much better defensively in the outfield but still no real option for when the injury prone OF get injured.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Wow I wanted Varsho but lol

They weren't kidding when they reported the price for him was high

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Varsho with 4 years of team control is good but are the Blue Jays going to really take advantage of his ability to catch too? Sounds like they just want him as an OF.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
I guess this means that Kikuchi is still starting next year?

So many moves to end up with a team that might not be better than where they started.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Probably Mitch White first and if he sucks they go to Kikuchi and pray Tiedeman moves up fast

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I don't think the Jays got better with this trade and Moreno was a pretty highly rated prospect. They could've done better if they were trading him. Plus they included a decent MLB OF in the trade? Makes no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Hand Knit posted:

Outfield defence is the story the team is going with, I suppose. Can't say I'm very convinced. At absolute minimum you would expect better value on the trades.

https://twitter.com/bnicholsonsmith/status/1606406246009118733?s=20&t=O60-8H0rPn15jIm7y2kwSw

Defense is extremely overrated