Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

“Walk away from the ruin. Do it for the working class.”

“Also she was way too bougie, she was doing class tourism/slumming with you”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There's a LOT of art training in the backgrounds of the DE devs, so I'm assuming they'd be aware of this, but that doesn't mean they were necessarily meaning to use the square halo in this fashion.

Icons are also a thing in Estonia. Atleast they were last time I was in Tallinn. It’s a place collectors go to buy them.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

A Bystander posted:

They discuss toward the end that this kind of thing has apparently happened at least twice before if I remember correctly. Presumably, this time would be the one that sticks and that he won't gently caress himself this bad enough for a fourth since either Jean and co. trust him enough to let him back on the force or Jean tells him to get his poo poo together and call him back in a few months' time if he can do it, which would imply that Jean has enough faith that Harry has a chance to not let this kind of thing happen to him again.

Trant describes them as dry runs, I think so the implication would be that they were on a much smaller scale than this one

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I got the impression Harry maybe has had some benders in the past that caused memory loss or "episodes" but the implied pale-mind-wipe he did this time might be different, it's just that your unit doesn't have a full understanding of what happened

Mystic Mongol posted:

Bird Nest's Roy. Lena, the Cryptozoologist's wife. Annette is a good girl. Cindy the Skull's doing more practical work to improve the neighborhood than anyone else. Easy Leo. Gaston Martin. Those two dorks in the communard vision quest, once they've been told to stop being jerks to Cindy.
I feel like I almost want an elaboration on the bolded bit (Cindy good.) Unless I missed stuff, a small amount of graffiti constitutes "practical work to improve the neighborhood" in the sense that compared to all other characters, its literally more the nothing I guess. But I feel like you could also make the argument it's self-serving, and undercuts "being good." A lot of the "who is good" seems to be framed around "who is not bad" - there's some exceptions, like you mention Bird's Nest Roy who did something genuinely selfless, though I suppose the thread has already pointed out that "who is good" is probably a flawed way to examine the characters of DE.

But in the context of kind/people who are not bad, I feel like the Dicemaker is one that people didn't mention.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

harry’s previous bouts of self-annihilation didn’t resolve with him having a life-affirming conversation with the insulindian phasmid

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

There's versions of the game where Harry has woken up and continued to party hard and be a chaotic mess, and versions where he's trying to get his poo poo together. It's difficult for the game to fully account for what the player intended by that.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

But in the context of kind/people who are not bad, I feel like the Dicemaker is one that people didn't mention.

Threw my loving dice at me.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Revvik posted:

Threw my loving dice at me.

shoulda put more points in reaction speed. (or hand-eye?)

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Oxyclean posted:

shoulda put more points in reaction speed. (or hand-eye?)

Hand/Eye Coordination is for the dice.

Reaction Speed is for the church key.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The lookin ball. Lmao

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Oxyclean posted:

I feel like I almost want an elaboration on the bolded bit (Cindy good.) Unless I missed stuff, a small amount of graffiti constitutes "practical work to improve the neighborhood" in the sense that compared to all other characters, its literally more the nothing I guess.

Basically, yes. I was looking for people who were making more of an effort to improve Martinaise than Kim does. Roy gave his health to save the lives of others, Lena will sell her keepsakes to keep a hobo off the street, Leo's working hard to help his brothers without being too concerned about what that does for him, Gaston's warm and friendly to people who don't deserve it, and the communards are trying their level best, even if they're completely useless. I'm still on the fence about Garte, who had depths. Cindy doesn't like her neighborhood, but is using her skills to improve it, those skills being artistic composition and siphoning fuel from parked cars.

Kim suffers because all the opportunities to be a good cop are eaten by the protagonist, but I can only judge the work in front of me. The one time you see Kim really do cop stuff without just being your sidekick is out on the ice, when he tries to trick Acele Berger into incriminating herself on being a drug dealer. Kim's a nice guy, but he's a cop, and we see what that means to him--looking for reasons to bring the law down on people. And always, 24/7, being ready to defend a crazy lunatic from the consequences of his actions, because of Esprit de Corps.

Nearly everyone in Martinaise has given up on helping others--altruism has been bombed out of the city.

Oxyclean posted:

Oh, I thought about her. But I was looking for people actively improving things, not just being nice--nearly everyone in the game is kind to the brain-damaged supercop, in their own way.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Then the old woman sweeping the apartment block counts too :colbert:

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
It's kind of funny that Trent doesn't get even a fraction of the hate leveled at the Sunday Friend.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Trant struck me as being a pinko or even a crypto-communist but I guess it contradicts all the circumstantial evidence of his moralism.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

It's kind of funny that Trent doesn't get even a fraction of the hate leveled at the Sunday Friend.

trent doesn't try to justify any of the horrible poo poo currently going on, and doesn't actually have any meaningful power like the sunday friend does. he just tells you kinda interesting facts about an old building.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

He's also the fall back option for advancing the moralism quest if you missed/pissed off the Sunday Friend so you can take on responsibility and learn when freedom and true democracy is finally coming to Revachol.

Which is, according to the Moralists you contact, 3,000 years

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

LOGIC [Medium: Failure]: It's because of Homophobia.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Sunday Friend sounds so much like every blathering mid-level Brussels bureaucrat that it’s uncanny, both the actual lines of obfuscating dialogue and the accented English VA.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

FPyat posted:

Trant struck me as being a pinko or even a crypto-communist but I guess it contradicts all the circumstantial evidence of his moralism.

That and in the final shivers check on the revolution, he's a no.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Trant is something more vile than a moralist, or even the most rigid of fascists: he's a genuine moderate. Shudder.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Trent is a nerd on the spectrum imo

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Pattonesque posted:

Trent is a nerd on the spectrum imo

That's 100% my read on him. Trant's view on politics seems to mostly be that it's interesting, in the same way that a weird bug or a lost computer prototype is interesting.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Sit on my Jace posted:

That's 100% my read on him. Trant's view on politics seems to mostly be that it's interesting, in the same way that a weird bug or a lost computer prototype is interesting.

yeah exactly. like when most people say "I'm apolitical" that's just code for like Republican, but I think Trant actually is

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Pattonesque posted:

yeah exactly. like when most people say "I'm apolitical" that's just code for like Republican, but I think Trant actually is

He doesn't find Men of Wö interesting though

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Sit on my Jace posted:

Trant is too busy fighting crime as Elysium Daredevil to have opinions on politics.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

He's an ally of the player and isn't as obnoxious about his moralism as Sunday Friend. Although, it is interesting to note that he has similar sympathies to Kim, in that both are moralists who like certain aesthetics of the revolution, though Trant being more of an intellectual means he's drawn to their writing rather than their look.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I feel like Trant's opinion was that the Revolution was potentially a good thing and he would have been happy to live in a world where it succeeded. But it didn't, so, oh well.

I'm not sure he ever says Moralism is good, though I might have missed that dialog. He's just not too concerned about it and way more interested in all the fascinating details.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Aoi posted:

Trant is too busy fighting crime as Elysium Daredevil to have opinions on politics.

He does practice that martial art...

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

while you were saying one of these fascist or communist things, I studied the stick

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Although maybe the joke is that academic types with an intellectual passion for radical theory functionally are moderates in every way.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

FPyat posted:

Although maybe the joke is that academic types with an intellectual passion for radical theory functionally are moderates in every way.

Not really.
The zine writers, and to a lesser extend Roy, are academic types with intellectual passion for radical theory. When the time comes to say one of the fascist or communist things, they will say the communist thing.

Trent is functionally moderate because he is privileged enough to be utterly disconnected from normal society. If he actually ever could be forced to say the fascist or communist thing or gently caress off, he wouldn't be the same person anymore. This is the main trait he shares with TSF.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 24, 2022

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I think the difference is whether the scholar has tenure, or whatever comfortable business sector jobs Trant probably gets consulted for.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

EorayMel posted:

Which is, according to the Moralists you contact, 3,000 years

lol that's a worse answer than "Never".

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Sit on my Jace posted:

https://harpers.org/archive/1941/08/who-goes-nazi/

quote:

Mr. G is a very intellectual young man who was an infant prodigy. He has been concerned with general ideas since the age of ten and has one of those minds that can scintillatingly rationalize everything. I have known him for ten years and in that time have heard him enthusiastically explain Marx, social credit, technocracy, Keynesian economics, Chestertonian distributism, and everything else one can imagine. Mr. G will never be a Nazi, because he will never be anything. His brain operates quite apart from the rest of his apparatus. He will certainly be able, however, fully to explain and apologize for Nazism if it ever comes along. But Mr. G is always a “deviationist.” When he played with communism he was a Trotskyist; when he talked of Keynes it was to suggest improvement; Chesterton’s economic ideas were all right but he was too bound to Catholic philosophy. So we may be sure that Mr. G would be a Nazi with purse-lipped qualifications. He would certainly be purged.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

prevailed on my sister to play through. she's probably only going to play through it once so I'm telling her alternate scenarios as she gets past them. she's on day 2 and just discovered the key to the locked blue door in the whirling-in-rags. high electrochemistry has a great sequence when you look through the peephole where it winds itself up about where bottles are being placed, culminating in something like "also, did you know that you can put speed up your rear end in a top hat?" I've seen a screenshot of this but am having trouble finding it. does anyone have it, or failing that, the script?

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

World War Mammories posted:

prevailed on my sister to play through. she's probably only going to play through it once so I'm telling her alternate scenarios as she gets past them. she's on day 2 and just discovered the key to the locked blue door in the whirling-in-rags. high electrochemistry has a great sequence when you look through the peephole where it winds itself up about where bottles are being placed, culminating in something like "also, did you know that you can put speed up your rear end in a top hat?" I've seen a screenshot of this but am having trouble finding it. does anyone have it, or failing that, the script?

You're in luck - just got past that part in my playthrough.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

A Dapper Walrus posted:

You're in luck - just got past that part in my playthrough.

bless you

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
I've been thinking what if Harry was always commie and just didnt have the words. that the game itself shows how words are twisted and can end up fascist if ur not careful. Harry is too cute to be a raving fascist.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

KORNOLOGY posted:

I've been thinking what if Harry was always commie and just didnt have the words. that the game itself shows how words are twisted and can end up fascist if ur not careful. Harry is too cute to be a raving fascist.

I'm trying to think of a way to roleplay Harry as a monarchist for that fascist vision quest and now I'm wondering if I can square that with being a commie that's too dumb to understand he's a commie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Just finished a big Physique focused run and I appreciate how entertaining a very low Int Harry can be.