Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

don't use a guide but definitely look stuff up on wikis as needed and post your questions in the elden ring thread. those games are designed for the player to seek help from others, whether that's actually summoning them into your game or just talking to them on the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Suburban Dad posted:

I refunded ds1 years ago after trying it and just bought elden ring. What's the key to success when you suck at video games? I haven't played any of the other souls games. I'm thinking worst case I can find a mod to make it easier if I'm really bumping up against it but want to give it a fair shot first.

Elden Ring trash mobs and exploration: die a lot and try to figure out why you died, don't repeat it

Bosses: same, but if you lose patience, summon Spirit ashes (NPC items) to take aggro from the boss while you cut up its butt. Still stuck and just want to push through? ask a goon for help in the thread

More than anything, be okay with dying, it's fine. It's part of the whole thing. More than many games, dying is an opportunity to learn. And if something is too hard and really has you on tilt, go explore somewhere else for awhile. It'll probably be easier when you come back with another 10-20 levels and better gear.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I didn't get any hits on requests for Risk of Rain 2-likes, I'll try a different tack

Are there any 'build a broken build' games with an regular chance of failure out there? (ie, not vampire survivor likes, where you just sort of mindlessly grind/win)

I found a few 2d RoR1 style clones (which are pretty cool, like Seals of the Bygone, but not finished yet), but nothing that's scratching the itch the same

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

victrix posted:

I didn't get any hits on requests for Risk of Rain 2-likes, I'll try a different tack

Are there any 'build a broken build' games with an regular chance of failure out there? (ie, not vampire survivor likes, where you just sort of mindlessly grind/win)

I found a few 2d RoR1 style clones (which are pretty cool, like Seals of the Bygone, but not finished yet), but nothing that's scratching the itch the same
Well, the genre was pretty much pioneered by The Binding of Isaac, but I assume you've already played that?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Suburban Dad posted:

I refunded ds1 years ago after trying it and just bought elden ring. What's the key to success when you suck at video games? I haven't played any of the other souls games. I'm thinking worst case I can find a mod to make it easier if I'm really bumping up against it but want to give it a fair shot first.

If something seems overly hard just go somewhere else and come back later. There is so much content and places to go if you explore thoroughly that just tackling whatever is easiest at the time will get you through 90% of the game. The easiest direction might not be the most obvious one the game directs you toward at the start.

use whatever tools you have available to help you win. Once you get to the last 10% of the game and finally don’t have paths of less resistance to choose, you will have a huge toolbox of tricks you’ve accumulated from the rest of the game to pull from. If you are ever beating your face against the same boss endlessly trying the same thing over and over, you’re doing it wrong.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Also for the love of god level your HP stat.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

victrix posted:

Have you tried Gunfire Reborn? It takes a bit to get to that point but you can definitely get some broken builds and is fun in co-op if you have friends. On gamepass, too if you have that.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Suburban Dad posted:

Use a guide. The idea of going in blind is much more appealing than the experience of going in blind.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

in elden ring specifically, the very first boss you will encounter on the "main" route is purposefully a lot harder than the area around it, to direct you to explore elsewhere and come back more powerful. this holds over for basically the entire game: if anythings too hard theres always somewhere else to explore and find upgrades or a new item/weapon or xp to get stronger. on top of that, you will get various things you can summon to fight with you in boss rooms, and they can be extremely helpful even just to take aggro. some of the later ones are strong enough to solo bosses. theres also the option for online summoning too to get other players to help.

also make sure you level your hp up. shields, especially big shields, are incredibly effective, and magic paired with summons to distract can be a really effective strat for nearly everything in the game.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i would say go in blind, only use a guide if you are starting to feel its too much. but theres a lot of cool stuff that rules to find on your own.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Stux posted:

i would say go in blind, only use a guide if you are starting to feel its too much. but theres a lot of cool stuff that rules to find on your own.

Agreed. You can play with a guide if you want and still have tons of fun but you can only be blind once. I'd be sure you aren't having fun blind before looking up a walk-through.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
OK, don't use a guide but only read the replies to this thread backwards

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

One of the early summons you can get is a jellyfish and that thing is effective for most of the game because it's pretty tanky, attacks at range and poisons dudes.

edit One thing to be aware of is that unlike most rpgs there is no such thing as an "early game weapon". Every weapon in the game can be upgraded to endgame tier so if you find one where you just like the moveset of, you can use it for as long as you please.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Lunsku posted:

I found Druidstone f-rom some Legend of Grimrock devs really a rather fun little game, even when the setting was pretty generic. It came out in 2019 and wasn't really noticed then. And can't argue with the current -80% price.

but the description says it's set in a unique fantasy world! you can't both be right

i tried dungeon warfare ii and i think i'ma return it. i haven't played grimrock, can you tell me "you'd like this game if you liked these games?"

there's an impressively detailed, thoughtful, well-formatted review on the game from this person https://steamcommunity.com/id/tho545454/
they have this curator page https://steamcommunity.com/groups/summitreviews
based on that one review i added them as friend and followed the curator page. they have less than 200 followers, so small but high efffort, might be worth taking a look

fake edit: i just talked to the reviewer for a half hour and i might start writing reviews for their group if they don't turn out to be chuds or something

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

Well, the genre was pretty much pioneered by The Binding of Isaac, but I assume you've already played that?

explosivo posted:

Have you tried Gunfire Reborn? It takes a bit to get to that point but you can definitely get some broken builds and is fun in co-op if you have friends. On gamepass, too if you have that.

yeah I've played pretty much all the big name rogue* games, which is why I'm hunting for some more obscure titles I might not know about - like Gunfire, I've also played Roboquest (which is great), and like Isaac I've played pretty much all the top-down gather item games that are popular (Tiny Rogues is cute, that's a recentish one), or even 2d side scroller in that style (Blade Assault)

I definitely love this style of game no matter how jank or indie, but I don't like the ones that lean towards 'you always win' VS-like grinders, the ones that have a bit of bite to the gameplay keep me more entertained by far

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

probably comes under one of thebigger ones and also its not an action one but caves of qud has some of the most broken builds ever seen but also has a huge risk of death before you get things online and even after

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

big cummers ONLY posted:

Agreed. You can play with a guide if you want and still have tons of fun but you can only be blind once. I'd be sure you aren't having fun blind before looking up a walk-through.

The main thing to know is that exploration is usually rewarded in Elden Ring. Check every corner and passage, there's a lot of cool stuff just laying around, even if some stuff is boss drops.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Suburban Dad posted:

seconding the advice for "level ur hp stat", everyone puts too few points into it
you don't really have to worry about the trade-off between hp and damage because weapon damage mostly comes from upgrade level and not your stats until much later in the game (unless you're a magic build i guess)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Yeah. Level up your health bar more than you think, take your time. And if it isn't anathema to you, read everything, and do listen through dialogue. NPCs will say actually important stuff and the stories in the game are pretty good.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

fez_machine posted:

In 75% off news, every game in the Deadly Rooms of Death series is cheap as chips now. One of the greatest puzzle games series ever with thousands of unique puzzles in total. If you like the modern day puzzle renaissance (Steven's Sausage Roll, A Monster's Expedition, Patrick's Parabox) these games were crucial influences.

Here they are in recommended playing order:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/314330/DROD_Gunthro_and_the_Epic_Blunder/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/422180/DROD_King_Dugans_Dungeon/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/422181/DROD_Journey_to_Rooted_Hold/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/422182/DROD_The_City_Beneath/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/351320/DROD_The_Second_Sky/

The Smitemaster Selections dlc are also on sale which are feature levels made by the devs or community members but typically with the difficulty turned as high as it goes. There are puzzles in them that take experts hours to complete. (Peak at the review hours to see how much time people spend playing these games).

If you're a fan of Tactical Nexus, DROD RPG, which was the first modern Sorcerer's Tower clone made in the west, is also on sale
https://store.steampowered.com/app/351330/DROD_RPG_Tendrys_Tale/
I've been playing DROD games since 2007. Maybe one day I'll actually finish one.

The puzzle design is fantastic, but something about how long every room is just gets to me in the end, and I never finish them. It's a shame, because I can appreciate that they are clear labors of love, but somehow my brain always ends up turning off.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Worth noting that you can get The Original Trilogy Bundle for even cheaper than they're going individually right now.

DROD is something I come back to now and then but the method of distribution was absolutely arcane for a while and it's still fairly evident in how the games are packaged. If you get 1+2+3 on GOG they come as a bundle on an older version of the core engine. If you get them on Steam, they're packaged individually as DLC for DROD 4 because 4 is on a newer version of the engine that the older games can be plugged into to take advantage of new additions like an uncapped undo function (which you definitely want for these games if you can get it). Or an even newer version of the engine is available as open source if you don't mind figuring out how to build it yourself and slot the datapacks from the commercial releases into it for maximum snazzy modern features.

...Now I'm wondering if it builds properly on a Raspberry Pi.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Worth noting that you can get The Original Trilogy Bundle for even cheaper than they're going individually right now.

DROD is something I come back to now and then but the method of distribution was absolutely arcane for a while and it's still fairly evident in how the games are packaged. If you get 1+2+3 on GOG they come as a bundle on an older version of the core engine. If you get them on Steam, they're packaged individually as DLC for DROD 4 because 4 is on a newer version of the engine that the older games can be plugged into to take advantage of new additions like an uncapped undo function (which you definitely want for these games if you can get it). Or an even newer version of the engine is available as open source if you don't mind figuring out how to build it yourself and slot the datapacks from the commercial releases into it for maximum snazzy modern features.

...Now I'm wondering if it builds properly on a Raspberry Pi.

DROD 4 has been running on DROD 5 engine native on Steam for a while now.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

new Creeper World in pre-alpha stage

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 24, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it’s called earth my dude it’s been here a while

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Merry Christmas it's time for some keys!

Total War Saga: Troy (some AAA > F22F6-IQEL3-0IBH? (? = F)
Absolute Drift > 7JX6F-QJZFV-5VE6? (? = R)
Aeuronautica Imperialis: Flight Command (no idea) > KQQII-9GYFN-Z57D? (? = B)
Age of Wonders: Planetfall > GLQXD-L8D00-6XHR? (? = R)
Chroma Squad (power rangers SRPG) > 8258T-9LFLW-WW6P? (? = 6)
Chronicon (ARPG for ARPG nerds) > AZI2Y-BDVH5-A5HB? (? = E)
Chuchel (Machinarium dev) > QJQ3Y-GWWJA-NAW8? (? = P)
Dark Nights w/ Poe & Munro (FMV CYOA by Shapeshifting Detective dev) > 67YCV-IHFD6-V70J? (? = K)
Deponia (sociopath simulator) > NZ02W-G6D77-B4WF? (? = N)
Discolored (first person puzzler) > VVFWD-Q69R3-YBGZ? (? = 3)
Imagine Earth (no idea) > J6ALE-CNMMN-RIME? (? = 0)
Kitaria Fables > 0CAMH-EGYBM-65VA? (? = N. Note, this is a Rune Factory-like but leaning more on the ARPG. That said, I thought it was mediocre and waaaayy too drop-grindy)
Little Inferno (just got Holiday DLC after being out for 10 years) > DNGYI-60DAB-VWC7? (? = C)
Lucifer Within Us (very cool cyber-religious detective game prototype) > ZQBXF-5L4ID-GCBC? (? = 5)
Men of War: Assault Squad 2 > PEH5A-C6EXI-YNMD? (? = Q)
Moon Hunters (I've played this game and forgot all of it lol) > F5NXW-XNLKW-PHPR? (? = Q)
Paradise Lost (first person horror I think?) > LCRAE-R0JPQ-H2ZD? (? = P)
The Hex (Daniel Mullins' previous game before Inscryption) > HP8IA-MD8VI-6TLT? (? = C)
The Turing Test (Portal-like) > 0GK6M-LJBIQ-YGAX? (? = V)
Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion > YBZ9W-I6ED6-QZJ6? (? = 4)
WH40K: Gladius > W8X92-L8L2D-MIWT? (? = 4)

These keys have to be activated before January 1st. Blame Yogscast. I'll have more keys from this same bundle later but I gotta decide what I want to do with some games.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

Age of Wonders: Planetfall > GLQXD-L8D00-6XHR? (? = R)
Thanks, 7th Guest. :toot:

John Mirra
Dec 18, 2005

The 7th Guest posted:

List of keys

These keys have to be activated before January 1st. Blame Yogscast. I'll have more keys from this same bundle later but I gotta decide what I want to do with some games.

I grabbed Total War Troy, thanks so much and have a Merry Christmas!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Infinite Karma posted:

The main thing to know is that exploration is usually rewarded in Elden Ring. Check every corner and passage, there's a lot of cool stuff just laying around, even if some stuff is boss drops.

Some of the best stuff in the game is just sitting out in the open that you can run to and grab the moment you finish the tutorial.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Grabbed Deponia, thank you very much!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This has gotta be the most baffling attempt at price gouging I have ever seen.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also still zero fuckin Dark Souls games on sale.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

Lucifer Within Us (very cool cyber-religious detective game prototype) >

Bought this at launch and whoever claims it better play it!! It's fuckin' great despite being a little shorter than I'd like.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Aside from Streets of Rage 4 and River City Girls 2, which other beat 'em ups have a large cast of playable characters?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

victrix posted:

yeah I've played pretty much all the big name rogue* games, which is why I'm hunting for some more obscure titles I might not know about - like Gunfire, I've also played Roboquest (which is great), and like Isaac I've played pretty much all the top-down gather item games that are popular (Tiny Rogues is cute, that's a recentish one), or even 2d side scroller in that style (Blade Assault)

I definitely love this style of game no matter how jank or indie, but I don't like the ones that lean towards 'you always win' VS-like grinders, the ones that have a bit of bite to the gameplay keep me more entertained by far

How about Noita? I've never played a game that lets me make such broken builds.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

victrix posted:

I will always pimp Streets of Rogue because it's dope AF and on sale.

I just got Dead Estate which looks a lot like BoI except with less poop and more goth tiddy.

Synthetik has been out for a bit, but I like the huge amount of guns in it. Also on sale.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Azran posted:

Aside from Streets of Rage 4 and River City Girls 2, which other beat 'em ups have a large cast of playable characters?

Try Fight'N Rage.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Azran posted:

TMNT Shredder's Revenge has 7 playable characters, one unlocked via playthroughs (4 turtles, April, Splinter, and Casey)

Fullmetal Alchemist: Dual Sympathy has 6 playable characters (Edward, Alphonse, Armstrong, Izumi, Scar, and Mustang) that you unlock via multiple playthroughs but it is a single player Nintendo DS game and not available on PC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yn5sw74W0w

Streets of Rage Remake has 12 playable characters, the 6 main characters from the first 3 games, with different versions from each game selectable, plus 6 of the bosses unlockable via multiple playthroughs.

The Streets of Rage 2x remake I believe has a similar thing where bosses are unlocked via playing but as an OpenBOR mod it well feels like OpenBOR and not as tight or as much like the original games as SORR does.

dishwasherlove posted:

Try Fight'N Rage.
Does Fight'N Rage have more than the 3 characters available at the start?

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 24, 2022

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

F.D. Signifier posted:

Does Fight'N Rage have more than the 3 characters available at the start?

No, but neither does SOR4. 3 at the start and 20 unlockable.

dishwasherlove fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 24, 2022

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

dishwasherlove posted:

No, but neither does SOR4. 3 at the start and 20 unlockable.
Ah gotcha, so it's one of those where you can unlock every boss plus a bunch of enemies? 20 is a pretty good number, that might even beat the lost Double Dragon Zeebo game.

Sorry I wasn't clear in my wording, I meant to ask if Fight'N Rage had more characters that are unlocked over the course of or via beating the game, and not just the 3 available at the start.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Well the store page says 20, but that might only be for some modes. One review says 8 unlockable so who really knows, I have owned the game for 2 years and launched it for the first time to check the starting characters :D.