Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

Do y'all really have to look at the controller all the time to remember which button to press?

I frequently get tripped up on X and Y in particular. I can understand why the Xbox controller reversed A and B from the SNES layout, but switching around X and Y as well just seems mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i would recommend not adding 9000 individual games to your ui, personally

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Do y'all really have to look at the controller all the time to remember which button to press?

Only if I've been playing Nintendo games and then decide to play other games. A/B and X/Y being switched around messes me up for a day or so until I relearn the controller.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

no never until i got a steam deck

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I bought SRW30 in the sale and the official control layout reverses A and B despite using Xbox button icons because ???

The most popular community layout is one that just swaps them back lol

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hmm wonder if that’s a mistake caused by sony flipping the O and X meaning in japan when ps5 launched

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

O is yes, like you circle an option
X is no, like you're marking out an option

This aligns with Nintendo making A yes and B no

Microsoft agreed that A is yes and B is no, but swapped the placement of the two because your thumb more ergonomically (and naturally) rests at the bottom of the 4-button layout when holding their controller design.

I suspect this is because children have less complaints about ergonomics than adults, and Nintendo has historically been focused on making games for children. Sony following suit was just tradition (and following the market), while Microsoft was making games for (probably) teenagers and up and trying to consider ergonomics. Its launch titles had a lot of M games, and the Duke was the size of a small washing machine

The biggest shift you can see is that once Nintendo reverted to a more standard controller configuration (the switch and the Wii U but nobody used the Wii U) we all are reminded how much it loving sucks holding onto a flat plane for hours which was how the NES, SNES, and the Wii's classic controller were designed. Adults, instead, probably prefer the Switch Pro controller which has a bit more ergonomic to it, or a case for the Switch's handheld mode that adds ergonomics.

Ultimately Microsoft is proven right, because the market matured and ergonomics are very important. So now Sony is making much, much more ergonomically-minded controllers (and, I guess, they're swapping the O and X) because we tend to push confirm buttons more than cancel buttons, and when holding a controller like an Xbox/PS controller, your thumb naturally rests on the bottom-most button in the 4-button layout.

In short, Nintendo made some bullshit that only the dumbest humans wouldn't complain about, Sony elevated it by adding a bit of ergonomics to it but still leaning on button placement so as to not freak out people used to Nintendo's confirm/cancel layout, and Microsoft iterated upon Sony's design by being even more ergonomically designed.

Nintendo peripherals loving suck

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

jokes posted:

So now Sony is making much, much more ergonomically-minded controllers

Lmao, the DualSense is one of the least comfortable controllers I've ever held because of how much I need to reach for buttons with how big it is.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sony not using ABXY is loving stupid, too.

njsykora posted:

Lmao, the DualSense is one of the least comfortable controllers I've ever held because of how much I need to reach for buttons with how big it is.

More ergonomic does not mean particularly ergonomic. Sony's peripherals also loving suck.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Sony sucks most of all by not letting you use third party controllers on the PS5. They can make a nice controller, I found the PS4 controller nice and comfortable. And the symbols I can't get mad about, they're just part of the branding at this point.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I have tiny hands and the DualSense is an absolutely perfect controller.

I also liked the OG Xbox monstrosity as an even smaller handed tweenager, and still prefer it over the controller S and 360 lineage that followed.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I can get mad

I can get real mad

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I liked the dream cast controller and the ps4 controller is okay but agree Xbox controller is the best. Steam controller was meh, and switch pro is alright. Wii u pro was good but it was glossy like, gently caress off with that poo poo

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Anything with asymmetrical sticks really can gently caress all the way off unless there’s literally no other option, as a general rule.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

Anything with asymmetrical sticks really can gently caress all the way off unless there’s literally no other option, as a general rule.

That is objectively the best way to play Katamari though.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

njsykora posted:

That is objectively the best way to play Katamari though.

Are you mixing up asymmetrical and symmetrical because one of these answers is correct and the other is loving madness

Edit: I spent all day playing reroll on my deck waiting for work to finish and it still holds up today

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Are you mixing up asymmetrical and symmetrical because one of these answers is correct and the other is loving madness

Yes I am.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The 360 controller is the perfect controller

Dualshocks suck bad

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sorry about your bad hands

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

jokes posted:

O is yes, like you circle an option
X is no, like you're marking out an option

This aligns with Nintendo making A yes and B no

Microsoft agreed that A is yes and B is no, but swapped the placement of the two because your thumb more ergonomically (and naturally) rests at the bottom of the 4-button layout when holding their controller design.

they only swapped the o and x meanings in japan, in the west it was already consistent with microsoft. which is funny because the meanings of O and X as you stated them are much more of a thing in japan than here where you're more likely to pair an X with a ✔ than a O. anyway just googling it now i guess they made a system level option to swap O and X back

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

Any Steam Sale must buys I should pick up for the Deck?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sorry about your bad hands

Having one of your most used inputs off to the side to give the seldom used D-Pad precedence is criminally dumb. A PS controller with the left stick where god intended would be perfect if goofy looking.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
The left analog stick on a DS4 is perfectly usable, while the dpad on an Xbox controller is loving worthless.

I guess if you only play 3D AAA games on Xbox, the dpad doesn't matter at all.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Quixzlizx posted:

The left analog stick on a DS4 is perfectly usable, while the dpad on an Xbox controller is loving worthless.

How often do you reach for the touchscreen on a dualshock

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Quixzlizx posted:

I've never had a problem with the dpad... Because I don't use it :shepface:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

sailormoon posted:

Any Steam Sale must buys I should pick up for the Deck?

Vampire Survivors
Crystal Project

comedy option Dwarf Fortress

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

HopperUK posted:

Vampire Survivors
Crystal Project

comedy option Dwarf Fortress

Crystal Project was fantastic on the Deck. 100% completion before I even released what happened.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

None of the stuff on my wishlist is more than 20% off and it's basically all still in the $30-$40 range :mad:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Opopanax posted:

None of the stuff on my wishlist is more than 20% off and it's basically all still in the $30-$40 range :mad:

This Black Friday loving sucks

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Can anybody recommend some good tactical or srpgs too (besides tactics ogre)? Seems like a bunch came out this year.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Tagichatn posted:

Can anybody recommend some good tactical or srpgs too (besides tactics ogre)? Seems like a bunch came out this year.

Obvious Triangle Strategy recommendation if you can deal with a slow paced, text-heavy game.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Opopanax posted:

Every Square Enix Sale I dream about picking up all the old Final Fantasies for what they're worth, $30 for 1 through 6 total, and $5 each for 7,8,9, $5-10 for 10,12,13-1/2/3,15 each and each time I look at it they're just still higher than I'm interested in getting for replaying/buying on a new platform. Especially 12 is $25 like, excuse me no, that's even more expensive than 15, no old game should ever cost more than a newer game

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

no old game should ever cost more than a newer game

What if it's a good game

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

12 is a much better game than 15. case dismissed

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

a $12 game is a much better game than a $15 game. case dismissed

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Edmund Lava posted:

Playing on the live patch and I’ve had about 4 times I’ve dipped below 60 fps and one non game breaking graphic bug. Other then that, pretty consistent 60 fps with around 5 hours battery. It feels made for the deck even more than the first game.

Yeah definitely. I tend to feel like beat-em ups in general are really good Deck games, and this is a great one of those.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I got pretty hooked on Triangle Strategy for my first playthrough, good story but Seranoa is pretty boring as MC, good replayability.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Debating picking up Yakuza: Like a Dragon Legendary Hero Edition for ~$26, even though I have the base game on PS4 and haven't played more than an hour of it.

Might as well buy it again.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Commander Keene posted:

Debating picking up Yakuza: Like a Dragon Legendary Hero Edition for ~$26, even though I have the base game on PS4 and haven't played more than an hour of it.

Might as well buy it again.

Same, except I had around 20h played on the game pass version. I also bought Yakuza 1-6 as well. It's a Kiryu christmas :toot:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Well it took me about 18 hours but I got my modded Skyrim install working. It is v good