Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

arsenicCatnip posted:

No poo poo? I might have to pick one up then so I can tell Lamentcels to gently caress off

This is a kinda weird thing to say out loud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Pioneer42 posted:

Well then good thing I typed it on the internet instead of saying it out loud to myself like some sort of crazy person.

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

I'm a lamentcel

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I think you need a prescription for that

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Pioneer42 posted:

There are a lot of players who either get openly hostile or extremely passive aggressive when they notice that you're not using The Best And Most Meta-est Weapon - especially heavies. I wouldn't go so far as to call them a made-up insult, but I definitely understand wanting the opportunity to shut them down so they leave you alone.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
It’s always good to use the not best weapons in stuff like raids and dungeons, basically anything with teammates

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

it’s cool for other people to use exclusively meta weapons. that way I can use whatever bull’s poo poo I want and we’ll still Win

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Yeah, exactly like that, thanks for the demonstration guys :)

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Why are the boss fights in grasp of avarice so tedious? I'm duoing it, and that adds to the time it takes. But still, the loop isn't hard, it's just managing to do it enough times without something stupid happening.

On the upside I'm only gonna do it once because the armor and weapons look bad.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Lexorin posted:

Why are the boss fights in grasp of avarice so tedious? I'm duoing it, and that adds to the time it takes. But still, the loop isn't hard, it's just managing to do it enough times without something stupid happening.

On the upside I'm only gonna do it once because the armor and weapons look bad.

They're trying to balance out the treasure engrams giving you free Supers.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Well that explains why I always had one up. Hopefully that means the other dungeons aren't so bullet spongy.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Lexorin posted:

Well that explains why I always had one up. Hopefully that means the other dungeons aren't so bullet spongy.

They absolutely aren't. My husband and I can easily one-phase the first boss and reliably two-phase the final boss in Prophecy, and Pit of Heresy we can one-phase the last (and only!) boss. Spire of the Watcher is a little tougher to get one/two phases on the bosses, but the cycles don't take nearly as long as Grasp so it's not nearly as bad.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I solo one-phased the first boss of prophecy with ~lament~ a few days ago. That solo buff mod is really something

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Kith posted:

Shame that purple LMGs have less than half of the DPS of *checks notes* Literally Every Other Kind Of Heavy Weapon.

Edit: I just looked it up and apparently LMGs are out-DPS'd by every single Special Weapon type except for breechloader Grenade Launchers. Yeesh.

?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2Y-YH6xmgE

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Yes, Volatile Rounds is utterly busted on any rapid-fire Void weapon. Wavesplitter can do the same!

Edit: for giggles I looked it up and Wavesplitter is actually better for this strategy and puts out about twice as much DPS because its fire rate is so much higher (1000 vs 450 and therefore over twice as many Volatile explosions). If you're a Gyrfalcon's Hunter and you've got a Warlock or Titan ready to drop some orbs for you, you could easily outdamage that LMG using the same tactic.

Kith fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 24, 2022

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Kith posted:

Yeah, exactly like that, thanks for the demonstration guys :)

I was being sincere!! I hate being a slave to the meta and would generally rather take more damage phases to safely get it done. I’m happy to use LFRs or rockets generally at the host’s request, but ideally I don’t want to have to transfer anything specific I’m not currently holding.

if Meta Man is doing 5mil damage alone because that’s how he likes to play, I’m free to only do 1.5mil and we’ll clinch the clear regardless

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I don't have a playstation so i guess i'll never know

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I usually try to do lotsa damage just cuz what else are you gonna do during those silly 25 second DPS phases

Raids get a little repetitive too so I like to get bosses dead in 1 or 2 phases instead of 3 or 4 but if you're just chilling and looking to fill the time it don't matta. More time for Jokes on Comms if your raid takes 3 hours VS 1

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If your raids take 3 hours you’re wiping a lot and that’s a different problem

Adding an extra phase or two and still clearing it on the first try is only 5-10 extra minutes per encounter, so probably less than 30 extra for a whole raid. Balance that against however long it takes everyone to set up their perfect one phase build and then fail to execute it anyway

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

VodeAndreas posted:

I don't have a playstation so i guess i'll never know

Wavesplitter stopped being playstation-exclusive a while ago.

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I was being sincere!! I hate being a slave to the meta and would generally rather take more damage phases to safely get it done. I’m happy to use LFRs or rockets generally at the host’s request, but ideally I don’t want to have to transfer anything specific I’m not currently holding.

if Meta Man is doing 5mil damage alone because that’s how he likes to play, I’m free to only do 1.5mil and we’ll clinch the clear regardless

Sorry, it's hard to tell sincerity over the internet sometimes. That said, as long as the encounter gets done in a reasonable amount of time and everyone is more or less pulling their weight, then there shouldn't be an issue, but there are lot of people who are obsessed with efficiency to the point where they get upset when other people aren't doing the Most Efficient Thing. I don't mind if someone wants to optimize themselves to get the Biggest Numbers but it just sucks when they want everyone else to do the same.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
People who do less dps than me have brain damage

People who do more dps than me are toxic

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

With the amount of players just straight up ignoring Deathtongues , there really needs to be more than one per heistground

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

hiddenriverninja posted:

With the amount of players just straight up ignoring Deathtongues , there really needs to be more than one per heistground

You BARELY have time to get to the Europa one as it is.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

PERMACAV 50 posted:

You BARELY have time to get to the Europa one as it is.

Tinfoil hat emoji and all but I think this fits into a certain pattern of "do a thing with a relatively small windows of success in heavily-played matchmade activities" that has to exist mostly to feed Bungie analytics. Remember that allied Cabal dude who spawned way up ahead during season of the Risen and you had to bust out snipers/Thundercrash/etc to actually save him from ogres? I think that's one of those things in the game that's always totally doable but in practice there's variable degrees of success. I'm sure Bungie can call up tables on how often players of X light level with Y loadout were able pull it off.

I don't mean that Bungie actually does anything productive with the data, probably just poo poo to keep in a binder and show to the moneypeople.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Roctavian posted:

Tinfoil hat emoji and all but I think this fits into a certain pattern of "do a thing with a relatively small windows of success in heavily-played matchmade activities" that has to exist mostly to feed Bungie analytics. Remember that allied Cabal dude who spawned way up ahead during season of the Risen and you had to bust out snipers/Thundercrash/etc to actually save him from ogres? I think that's one of those things in the game that's always totally doable but in practice there's variable degrees of success. I'm sure Bungie can call up tables on how often players of X light level with Y loadout were able pull it off.

I don't mean that Bungie actually does anything productive with the data, probably just poo poo to keep in a binder and show to the moneypeople.

well it's just weird because it's incredibly easy on mars and moon, like spawns next to you and has a long run with not much other adds kind of easy. While on Europa it spawns far away, practically right on the totem, and is protected by a bunch of enemies and at least one champ.

So I mean sure bungie could be trying for some sort of player analysis but to me it just seems more likely they bungled the difficulty on one heist.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Usually the Europa one spawns when you jump down to the heavy platform and that's doable but I've seen it where he spawns as soon as you enter the zone and that's impossible unless you're doing some well skating stuff.

Leviathan's Breath is pretty good for Heists because in addition to the intrinsic unstop it will stun both the non-shrieker bosses and the deathtongues

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Kith posted:

There are a lot of players who either get openly hostile or extremely passive aggressive when they notice that you're not using The Best And Most Meta-est Weapon - especially heavies. I wouldn't go so far as to call them a made-up insult, but I definitely understand wanting the opportunity to shut them down so they leave you alone.

This comment is timely because I still am occasionally blindsided by pickup Legend Dares groups that demand Gjallarhorn usage, as if Gjally was the only possible weapon able to take advantage of infinite heavy ammo.

Lots of pickup groups are chill because Legend Dares is incredibly easy and then every once in awhile, like my run this week, you'll get some dude inspecting everyone who joins looking for the Rocket Launcher and getting super salty if you don't want to use it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Meta weapon insisters are especially annoying when they are wrong.

Gjally is great at ad clearing in the mid phase yes, but you only really need one person to have it; and given that there are 3 champion types than can show up, 3 weapon slots and no champion mods that work on rocket launchers, insisting that everyone has one because it was optimal strat for Crota is going to lead to a hell of a lot of unstoppables dragging the round down.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I would believe that one deathtongue is intentionally hard to stop just to be sure that people actually see what happens if you don’t stop them, the ones in the moon and mars can die before all the players even see it

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

I think the deathtounges being difficult to kill currently is related to that time gated upgrade in the helm. Bungie probably designed the encounters with them with the powerup in mind.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Roctavian posted:

Remember that allied Cabal dude who spawned way up ahead during season of the Risen and you had to bust out snipers/Thundercrash/etc to actually save him from ogres?

absolute unit

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Meta weapon insisters are especially annoying when they are wrong.

Gjally is great at ad clearing in the mid phase yes, but you only really need one person to have it; and given that there are 3 champion types than can show up, 3 weapon slots and no champion mods that work on rocket launchers, insisting that everyone has one because it was optimal strat for Crota is going to lead to a hell of a lot of unstoppables dragging the round down.

Hey so just want to point out that this exact same logic is why meta weapon insisters that AREN’T wrong get really annoyed at all of you goofballs

I’m sure you realize this though, so just pointing it out for everyone else passing by

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

No, if someone says "Hey, keep Leviathan's Breath on you this season because it takes out unstoppable ogres in 2 shots (the first of which stuns them), and also means you don't have to double primary, and you can have grenade kickstart, and the only other unstoppable mods are hot dogshit / too expensive, and also it does a lot of damage with the secondary explosion" then that's just super good advice.

If however they have appointed themselves The Exotic Police and are booting others out of LFG groups for not having The Meme Gun, especially when it isn't actually the best exotic, then what the hell is up with that?

E: tldr if they're right then fair enough, but half the time they read an AI article about which gun did the most damage 3 rebalances ago and are acting like it's make or break for the encounter.

Honestly my biggest issue this season is remembering to switch out my solo damage bond when I'm actually in a fireteam, I don't have time to be switching vault guns with the loving load times on the PS4.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 24, 2022

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
It’s not that complicated

Use the best guns please

Thanks

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Me sighing after we have to extra phase a boss because he has a tiny bit of health gate left and someone wipes in the extra phase because poo poo happens and then on the post-death damage chart there’s a guy with 2M less damage

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I don't run into that problem with my groups.

Built different???

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

If however they have appointed themselves The Exotic Police and are booting others out of LFG groups for not having The Meme Gun, especially when it isn't actually the best exotic, then what the hell is up with that?
Does this actually happen or have you made up a guy to be mad at?

That said, having once used the Destiny 2 LFG discord server, I'll never fault anyone for using exotics or meta to litmus test PUGs in raids or hard content.

I recommended a dude use Thunderlord for Totems (I believe after they asked what to use) and he was like "oh I dont have that one" despite it being several months into a season where you could claim it for free. Like, it's not a must use in any capacity, but like Taipan, it's a brainless good pick for that fight that everyone should have.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Does this actually happen or have you made up a guy to be mad at?

Meiteron posted:

This comment is timely because I still am occasionally blindsided by pickup Legend Dares groups that demand Gjallarhorn usage, as if Gjally was the only possible weapon able to take advantage of infinite heavy ammo.

Lots of pickup groups are chill because Legend Dares is incredibly easy and then every once in awhile, like my run this week, you'll get some dude inspecting everyone who joins looking for the Rocket Launcher and getting super salty if you don't want to use it.
Usually when you see 'must have gjally' in LFG they're joking, and 90% of LFG experiences don't care, but before I turned off messages (and before the anarchy nerf) I got the occasional nutcase demanding I change my loadout and then booting me when I said I don't raid.

Some people are bafflingly serious about this game, especially the ones who try to be king poo poo on LFG. Fair enough if you found people on discord or whatever, but you're going to pick up randoms on Destiny Grindr, you've got to be ready to not get the cream of the crop.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lexorin posted:

Grasp, Duality and Spire all seem to follow a trend of the boss fights being fairly easy to survive, but you have to do a lengthy mechanic to get a short DPS phase, and if you're solo or don't have a top dps strat you'll be repeating it half a dozen times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

Grasp, Duality and Spire all seem to follow a trend of the boss fights being fairly easy to survive, but you have to do a lengthy mechanic to get a short DPS phase, and if you're solo or don't have a top dps strat you'll be repeating it half a dozen times.

And where most of the danger comes from getting pushed by an Incendior into a corner at a funny angle that makes the engine interpret the physics as killing you instantly, or a swarm of supplicants spawning instantly on top of you.