Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Nenonen posted:

Couldn't have happened to a better man. S dnem rozhdeniya! :toot:

e: fwiw here's BBC's report on it
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64063046

"Tsar's Wolves", ughhhh :rolleyes:

Not to be a doubting Томас, but I’d like to see the wound. Mr Dressup here would love nothing more than to be able to show he “had his hurts before”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Somaen posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/themattdimitri/status/1605967960845287424

Wow this guy still don't miss!! Excellent analysis and understanding of reality. Truly a Realist, unlike us starry eyed idealistic sheeple, who got some growing up to do.

I decided to watch the entire interview for some reason and he really doesn't say that, I don't want to carry any water for the guy but that's just a headline spun from nothing.

What he actually said:
1. Doesn't know how the war will end - raises some Clancy Chat possibilities
2. Putin had made it clear Ukraine is the red line, and he will attempt to either make it neutral or wreck it
3. "Rationalizing" the frontlines and appointing Surovikin is a good move (this is where the headline comes from)

There are some hot takes about Ds/Rs being the same on foreign policy because Trump wasn't able to dismantle NATO by himself that really feels revisionist retelling of what happened that were way more gross to me personally.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

ummel posted:

Would've been perfect if the flag unfurled the correct way. All I can make out it is "to the house of representatives of the United States" but maybe that's all it really says in English.

https://twitter.com/GettyImagesNews/status/1606035588288749577

At least they framed it the correct way. :v:

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Kind of ironic considering how huffy people would get if you wrote on an ´¯`·.·★ American Flag ★·.·´¯`

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
https://www.thebulwark.com/podcast-episode/gen-mick-ryan-the-war-in-ukraine-10-months-in/

For those following Mick Ryan, this interview is pretty good. He discusses logistics, autonomous drones, the Ukrainian military, and other things. Most interestingly, he doesn't think M1 Abrams would be an insurmountable logistical burden for Ukraine. He commanded a mechanized brigade in the Australian Army, and said that Australia's strategic logistics weren't really that great but that the Abrams were just fine. They had to do things like ensure they had multi-fuel engines and such, but it was very doable. His thinking is that we should give Ukraine 250 of them and see if it's sustainable. If it is, give them more. If the topic interests you I'd recommend listening; Mick Ryan is a good speaker.

Edit:

SaTaMaS posted:

Kind of ironic considering how huffy people would get if you wrote on an ´¯`·.·★ American Flag ★·.·´¯`
I think it's okay for different countries to have different cultural norms about things like "saluting" and "flags". :shrug:

On the topic of cultural differences, I watched most of Zelenskyy's speech to the US Congress. Firstly, it was an excellent and canny speech, and he's a very good speaker. Secondly, I'm curious if the tendency to constantly applaud is a US thing, or are such things common in Eastern European countries as well?

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 23, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

Secondly, I'm curious if the tendency to constantly applaud is a US thing, or are such things common in Eastern European countries as well?

No, we're not that huge on applauding at every occasion.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1606296495413567488

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Any idea how long ago the CNC would have been purchased?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Finding a DMG Mori machine in a metalworks shop is about the least surprising discovery on the planet.

Good luck getting them serviced, though.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I’ll go out on a limb here and say that there is a general understanding that any service contract signed before sanctions took effect can very much and legally, be executed. At least that is what some in the know around me are saying.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

All summer our neighbours had planted some sunflowers and were proudly displaying an upside-down ukrainian flag. It's the thought that counts?

Anne Frank Funk posted:

I’ll go out on a limb here and say that there is a general understanding that any service contract signed before sanctions took effect can very much and legally, be executed. At least that is what some in the know around me are saying.

The EU sanctions explicitly grandfathered in contracts from before they took effect. See: french tank and bomb optics.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Engaging in genocide should probably be considered breach of contract.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Bel Shazar posted:

Engaging in genocide should probably be considered breach of contract.

Arms companies have a different set of morals from right-thinking humans, I suspect.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Antigravitas posted:

Finding a DMG Mori machine in a metalworks shop is about the least surprising discovery on the planet.

Good luck getting them serviced, though.

Seems like something that could be easily targeted for a stuxnet-style attack: Russian CNCs could be knocked offline while anyone else's can get patched and serviced.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Arms companies have a different set of morals from right-thinking humans, I suspect.

Even so, real miss to not have that in their contracts.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The EU sanctions explicitly grandfathered in contracts from before they took effect. See: french tank and bomb optics.

Those were the 2014 sanctions. I don't think it holds true across the board for 2022 sanctions.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Given the number of multi-year contracts out there, this is probably why people who know better keep saying that sanctions can degrade Russia's military, but only over a long time period and only degrade it, not cripple it entirely.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ehh, I mean, "making sure Putin does not profit even symbolically from this power grab" is absolutely in America's national interest, for all the reasons outlined above, plus the additional reason that Putin's a wild card actor on the world stage and humiliating him and reducing his hard and soft power is absolutely a net gain for worldwide safety and stability.

And it's at least worth pointing out that we're accomplishing this for peanuts in terms of relative cost:

https://twitter.com/BretDevereaux/status/1605681082048946187?s=20&t=_JK3M2mGfpbShT12cRbCQQ

Of course the human cost of the war to Ukrainians is horrific. But, like, Russia started it and Russia is keeping it going. There's virtually no downside for America in giving Ukrainians the tools they need and want to defend themselves. It's pocket change to us.

It's not even as much as it seems to be really too. Since we're "giving" them money and they are turning around and using it to purchase (mostly) surplus stuff from us that was wasting away anyway. Other than the cost to adminster the program and the (potential) opportunity cost in lost sales to other buyers it really doesn't require a big spend.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Oh man that reminds me that my dad sold some CNC machines to ИЖМАШ back in the day lol. They gave him a bottle of vodka in a novelty AK bullet shaped wooden decorative container and showed him the Снайперская винтовкаs

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

In his defense I think the stuff was for building trains :v:

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

cinci zoo sniper posted:

No, we're not that huge on applauding at every occasion.

Except for when the plane lands

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Anne Frank Funk posted:

I'm not exactly sure about the legal details about what is allowed and what isn't, but the German machinery company I work for almost immediately halted any and all contact with any companies or people working in or for Russia - no phone calls, emails, deliveries, etc.

DMG MORI is one of the companies that immediately stopped any and all deliveries to and production in Russia on February 24.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 23, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That was the 2014 sanctions.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

aphid_licker posted:

Oh man that reminds me that my dad sold some CNC machines to ИЖМАШ back in the day lol. They gave him a bottle of vodka in a novelty AK bullet shaped wooden decorative container and showed him the Снайперская винтовкаs

I’m surprised I never bought one of these bottles. Luckily for me I’ve been on a responsibility streak

E- I’m sorry I thought this was the other thread

Snowy fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 23, 2022

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

SaTaMaS posted:

Not sure why you think this

https://www.stripes.com/theaters/asia_pacific/us-flag-signed-by-soldiers-and-hidden-in-iraq-for-years-inspires-message-from-trump-1.610536
https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_1195053

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

All summer our neighbours had planted some sunflowers and were proudly displaying an upside-down ukrainian flag. It's the thought that counts?

Woof. C'mon y'all, it's grain fields and clear sky.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

ummel posted:

Woof. C'mon y'all, it's grain fields and clear sky.

in the US, an upside down flag is supposed to be used to symbolize you are in distress. I could see the logic in flying the Ukrainian flag upside down to indicate they need support.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
This is awkward for Poles in Indonesia and vice versa.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Doccers posted:

in the US, an upside down flag is supposed to be used to symbolize you are in distress.

That's specifically the naval ensign, on a boat.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Scratch Monkey posted:

Mr Dressup here would love nothing more than to be able to show he “had his hurts before”

You apologize to Mr. Dressup, right now. :canada:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Dressup

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Doccers posted:

in the US, an upside down flag is supposed to be used to symbolize you are in distress. I could see the logic in flying the Ukrainian flag upside down to indicate they need support.

Was there ever a situation when it was used that way? It reminds me more of Spec Ops: the line where it meant "we don't give a gently caress anymore"

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Sekenr posted:

Was there ever a situation when it was used that way? It reminds me more of Spec Ops: the line where it meant "we don't give a gently caress anymore"

At this point it feels to me like it’s just something people on Reddit repeat to sound “smart,” tbh.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
https://www.wsj.com/articles/putin-russia-ukraine-war-advisers-11671815184

https://archive.ph/I94xy

long wsj piece about basically Putin's personal involvement in decisionmaking wrt the war and general state of mind

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sekenr posted:

On boats back when flags, semaphore and such were the only means of communication.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
https://www.fpri.org/article/2022/12/how-the-battle-for-the-donbas-shaped-ukraines-success/

New article by Rob Lee and Michael Kofman analyzing the causes of recent Ukrainian successes and prospects for the future. Probably not much new info for most of you, but a good summary.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

Boris Galerkin posted:

At this point it feels to me like it’s just something people on Reddit repeat to sound “smart,” tbh.

No, many nations have an upside down flag listed as a symbol of distress in their flag codes, it comes up when it’s accidentally displayed that way in the US, which does happen from time to time.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-philippines-flag-idUSTRE68P2EO20100926The Philippines.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/flag-flap/article12901837/ Canada.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Also a non-trivial number of countries have naval ensigns that are vertically symmetrical (Russia does, Ukraine doesn't).

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Boris Galerkin posted:

It's an actual thing. From 4 US Code Sec 8:

"(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property."

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
As Kenlon states, it's a thing, with the caveat that the whole section is nonbinding "should" language (like a lot of the rest of that chapter iirc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm aware that it's "a thing" written in some obscure codes but I'm questioning if it's actually A Thing that people do. Like how it's also "a thing" written in some obscure codes that e.g. the US flag shouldn't be used as a thong bikini but yet those exist. I feel like people spouting off the "upside down = duress" thing are just smug assholes repeating some obscure fact they heard to sound smart.