Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

I resent Shelly for making Destroy Evil maindeckable. I love my stupid little enchantment decks.

G/W turbo-exile has a pretty good matchup versus Mono-B, so you can lodge your complaints directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Somberbrero posted:

I think you should be maindecking Keening Stone instead. It fits in your deck and it's a very real threat.

If you had picked up that Energy Refractor p1p3 instead of a Scrapwork Mutt you sideboard, you could have picked up some Unearth creatures that would be super cool with Urza.

Looks like a solid deck and a reasonable plan, I see that you're already 2-0. Good luck!
That was a hard pick for me because both Refractor and Mutt are auto-includes, two-drops that allow you to keep shaky hands, just one fixes and one can attack. I keep thinking "oh, I can pick up a single piece of fixing later" but that's never true, it hasn't happened twice in a row. Or rather, I could have had a chromatic star but there was some slam dunk to rather pick. As tends to happen!

Not super convinced about the keening stone tbh. I've always had plenty to do with my mana so far, stuff that built the board, I don't think I really need the clunky, slow, expensive wincon when I can make 4 3/3s or fly over everything or recommission a 5/5.

Thanks for the kind words and effort, I'll try my best for the last game!

space uncle posted:

I started drafting blue white soldiers waiting for a payoff to show up.

The payoff never came! No lords, no siege veteran, no sky strike, no myrael. An entire deck with 0 rares. Went 3-3 but that’s cuz I’m in the bronze division and could just fly over people and bully them, up until I couldn’t. The only “soldiers matter” effects I ended up with were Zephyr Sentinel and Air Marshal, which is pretty minor. I had the 5 mana aeronaut cavalry too but never saw it.
I think that's backwards? You shouldn't force a deck from the word go waiting for a key piece to show up - why would you bank on one of three rares to just magically show up? Uncommons are also by no means a certainty.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I think first Mutt is better than first Refractor in almost any deck. I don't think Refractor is an auto-include unless you have a healthy number of Stalwarts and/or Couriers; an opening hand with Refractor as your first play is a liability in this format

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Currently in plat 4 limited and get paired against mythic ranked #110 and #900 in back to back games, where I proceed to draw nothing but lands for the next 5 turns in each game. Went 1-3 in my draft. Thanks Wizards.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Whooping Crabs posted:

Currently in plat 4 limited and get paired against mythic ranked #110 and #900 in back to back games, where I proceed to draw nothing but lands for the next 5 turns in each game. Went 1-3 in my draft. Thanks Wizards.

If you drew nothing but land were you going to beat someone else at Plat 4?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sheoldred is a good card but if anything needs to be banned, it is and always has been Invoke Despair

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Dunno about you guys but man cube is my favorite playmode on Arena.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Adun posted:

I’m an explorer shill but I do love Cube.

Vintage Cube is back on MODO, definitely worth checking out if you like limited. My buddy and I took a super fair mono-w deck to 3-0 just now on the back of P.Wave clearing the way for Monastery Mentor triggers.

fadam fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 24, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I like Invoke Despair, I friggin hate my opponents and the dumb crap they try to put in my way. We wouldn't have to play Invoke Despair if people just conceded when we dropped Sleeper Agent or whatever turn one.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Covert Go Blue is a little over halfway through a 100 hour charity stream. If you are looking for fun Historic Brawl content he's been playing Historic Brawl for like 2 straight days with a plethora of commanders.

https://twitch.tv/covertgoblue

Edit:
Arjuna (the other host of Arena Craft podcast) showed up randomly in chat. CGB was getting ready to do tier rankings of "most annoying decks in Arena history". CGB asked Arjuna if he wanted to join him, and then out of nowhere we got a 3 hour Arena Craft Podcast. Stream has been awesome!!

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 25, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Up to 3 Argoths now... looking good

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Merry christmas everyone

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
did my first cube draft and i have a really fun orz sac deck that's putting in work. however i ran into an error where it seemed like the triggers on celebrant and Elas il-Kor were firing the opposite of how they should have been? you can see in the link on turn 13 at the very end, they both fire off in response to my opponent saccing a creature to Braids but not in response to any of my creatures dying. am i missing something dumb? https://www.17lands.com/user/game_replay/70af6b2b34be49bdb07427195f6c1265/35508012/1671957861/341

edit: also if you have deckbuilding advice i'm pretty unfamiliar with this format and could use insight.

https://www.17lands.com/deck/e32c5a13975a47038130717d8c544a27/1

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Dec 25, 2022

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Adun posted:

Same, I haven’t bothered with any other formats since this cube came out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
For Christmas, arena gave me an opponent running living breakthrough, which I'm glad isn't a meme, because Jesus tapfucking Christ, there is nothing more infuriating than having a hand full of gas and being literally unable to ever cast anything

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.

Somberbrero posted:

did my first cube draft and i have a really fun orz sac deck that's putting in work. however i ran into an error where it seemed like the triggers on celebrant and Elas il-Kor were firing the opposite of how they should have been? you can see in the link on turn 13 at the very end, they both fire off in response to my opponent saccing a creature to Braids but not in response to any of my creatures dying. am i missing something dumb? https://www.17lands.com/user/game_replay/70af6b2b34be49bdb07427195f6c1265/35508012/1671957861/341

Opponent has flipped kumano saga in play so death triggers don't happen for your stuff all the time.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Eikre posted:

G/W turbo-exile has a pretty good matchup versus Mono-B, so you can lodge your complaints directly.

What's a decklist? I'm sick of seeing the same mono-B deck over and over again and I just want something that hates on it even if it loses to literally everything else.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I was running monob early on before switching to a budget red deck wins, and I just conceded against people doing that selesnya enchantment poo poo. It's not unwinnable but it's not usually worth the time. There's also some red/black deck that seems to stomp my MonoB once they get their value stuff out.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Managed to beat UW control using all my Touch the Spirit Realms to weave through their removal and sweepers, even caught their Hullbreaker with it which owned lol

Now if I could only put up a fight against UW soldiers... I do wonder if I can even mainboard any new tech without weakening other aspects of the deck, or if I just need to accept that in BO1 I won't be able to account for everything

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

waloo posted:

Opponent has flipped kumano saga in play so death triggers don't happen for your stuff all the time.

Whoops. Thanks!

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I think first Mutt is better than first Refractor in almost any deck. I don't think Refractor is an auto-include unless you have a healthy number of Stalwarts and/or Couriers; an opening hand with Refractor as your first play is a liability in this format

I only add refractors if I am trying to splash something in....like if I am in a white blue soldiers deck but I open a hero of the dunes pack two or get passed one I will totally grab a couple refractors because there is so little fixing in this draft format.

I am loving arena cube though...this cube is alright though. Wish the blink deck had more going for it.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Returning player here. I last played more around Lorwyn/Alara/Zendikar on MTGo and mostly casual multiplayer formats.

I tried to make a budget friendly deck on Arena and MonoB seemed pretty rare/mythic efficient to build.

Spent all my 4 mythics. Still have 4 rares and plenty of unc/com wildcards left.

Any obvious misses?

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Go For the Throat is better than Hero's Downfall most of the time. Duress is more of a bo3 card and is a dead draw often in bo1, but sometimes it can clinch a match on turn 1 so do whatever with regards to that. Cut Down is 1 mana removal that kills most 1 and 2 drops - and some 3 drops - at instant speed and is an excellent removal spell in general. Both of those are uncommons. A new set is hitting relatively soon so hold onto your rare and mythic wildcards for now. Make sure you cash in literally every sets 3 pack redemption code to give you a windfall of wild cards - they're all "Play [3 letter set code]" if I recall.

edit: Reckoner Bankbuster is an artifact that's good in almost every deck and will be standard legal for the next eight months. Up to you if you want to get some.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Dang, Boros Heroic really pops off doesn't it? I haven't gotten too far in the Metagame Challenge but I'm sure it's disheartening when spell after spell gets dropped on a Virtuoso and then it gets Protection to swing for All Your Life

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I still prefer Infernal Grasp over Go for the Throat. Paying 2 life to be able to kill any creature is way more preferable than having a card that is completely worthless against all the artifact creatures that are very much "if you don't remove this you're in big trouble."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Horace Kinch posted:

I still prefer Infernal Grasp over Go for the Throat. Paying 2 life to be able to kill any creature is way more preferable than having a card that is completely worthless against all the artifact creatures that are very much "if you don't remove this you're in big trouble."

imo it's honestly better to run both and maybe run fewer Cut Down. Cut Down whiffs on so many important creatures

then again, you're mono black. what're you here to do but kill dudes and invoke despair? run Cut Down, Grasp, and Throat. don't let em breathe

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Graveyard Trespasser is the best black card

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Eej posted:

Dang, Boros Heroic really pops off doesn't it? I haven't gotten too far in the Metagame Challenge but I'm sure it's disheartening when spell after spell gets dropped on a Virtuoso and then it gets Protection to swing for All Your Life

My experience with it in Pioneer was that it has pretty good to even match ups against the field but absolutely gets shellacked by RB, so playing it anywhere with stakes is a bit risky. According to the Meta data it actually does okay against Mono G, so it’s a deck to keep an eye on for Explorer

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Fable of the Mirror Breaker + Bloodtithe Harvester is such a degenerate combo. I finally started playing a Mardu deck after the meta seems to have teched hard against my UW soldiers and it’s disgusting.

1 mana -8/-8 for 0 cards once per turn. Because you’ve got a big stack of blood tokens by the time the combos rolling anyway.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
merry christmas arena goons, I just found these zendikar rising prerelease and deck code cards, have at'em. if you use any please post that you did!

All gone, curse the people who took the two codes on top and didn't say anything!

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 26, 2022

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Captain Invictus posted:

merry christmas arena goons, I just found these zendikar rising prerelease and deck code cards, have at'em. if you use any please post that you did!

They're not expired yet, despite what the card claims.

Took bottom left, thanks.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Captain Invictus posted:

Grabbed bottom right, thanks!

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Captain Invictus posted:

Just tried top two and they’re all gone.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Haha lmao love to draw or mill 19 cards in total in the first 6 turns of a limited game and have FOURTEEN of them be lands.

(Deck's great though I've won 5 games off Precursor Golem including a hilarious game where OP wiped everything except my Bitter Reunion (with Powerstone Fractures) when I had 6 mana and the last card in my hand was Golem. And they had 7 life)

E: 7/2 https://www.17lands.com/deck/31a8b59b80a04a81ac2fb3a2a3584166

Precursor Golem won 6/7 games lol.

E again: I was curious when the next set is coming out and am I right in understanding the set logos? Are they really, actually putting Phyrexian Obliterator into standard?

Into this standard? A hearty lol, lmao.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Dec 26, 2022

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

thespaceinvader posted:

Haha lmao love to draw or mill 19 cards in total in the first 6 turns of a limited game and have FOURTEEN of them be lands.

(Deck's great though I've won 5 games off Precursor Golem including a hilarious game where OP wiped everything except my Bitter Reunion (with Powerstone Fractures) when I had 6 mana and the last card in my hand was Golem. And they had 7 life)

E: 7/2 https://www.17lands.com/deck/31a8b59b80a04a81ac2fb3a2a3584166

Precursor Golem won 6/7 games lol.

E again: I was curious when the next set is coming out and am I right in understanding the set logos? Are they really, actually putting Phyrexian Obliterator into standard?

Into this standard? A hearty lol, lmao.

Im looking forward to seeing LVDs set review for it. I trust his takes. I am more of a limited player but I kinda want to invest some wildcards into standard when the new set comes out.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Limited wise Obliterator is just any other bomb rare, it's gonna win games when it gets dropped against you but unless the fixing is amazing it'll be hard as hell to cast on curse.

Constructed wise... I'm not even sure if it goes into monoblack, or if it's better the SHeoldred when it does, but it's an absolute house at blocking any agro strat that isn't either unblockable or flying.

But Sheoldred does that already, so maybe it doesn't matter? Or maybe you jam 4 of them into whatever slot in decks that already have Shelly, and you have twice as much chance to drop a 4 drop that makes aggro decks cry.

Either way the brief period where monored stood a chance of maybe being good again (because it at least has one available answer to SHelly) is probably done.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The thing about Obliterator is that it's only good if mono B is good, but if mono B is good there's usually lots of ways to deal with it for cheap.

OTOH if there is a good red or green deck Obliterator is a loving enormous problem for it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

space uncle posted:

Fable of the Mirror Breaker + Bloodtithe Harvester is such a degenerate combo. I finally started playing a Mardu deck after the meta seems to have teched hard against my UW soldiers and it’s disgusting.

1 mana -8/-8 for 0 cards once per turn. Because you’ve got a big stack of blood tokens by the time the combos rolling anyway.

I mean it's a very easy combo to disrupt and you see it coming so I definitely wouldn't call it a degenerate combo

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Obliterator is not going to cut it in constructed. Sheoldred does everything you want Obliterator to do but better.

Mono-red aggro doesn't care about answering Obliterator because you can just attack around it - it doesn't gain your opponent any life so you can just focus on getting them in range to burn out.

Mono-green or big red I guess would hate it. But they don't seem like they'd be particularly good in this format regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Why is Durss considered not great in BO1? There's another card I can't find the name of rn, but it makes opponent discard 2 cards and I think that's my favourite card to play as MonoB aggro. Yeah, they get to choose it but usually feels like if I throw that thing down early and get em to discard half their hand or more I only have to worry about top deck threats and answers which is usually where I wanna be when smashing face.