Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

exquisite tea posted:

You can kind of tell people who never really played God of War 2018 because they always frame it as some plodding grimdark affair when the actual game script is efficient and mostly unpretentious, with plenty of humor and spectacle.
having just beat it for the first time recently, i'm going to remember it more for the writing, characters & dialogue than anything else - which is kind of amazing when i remember the pre-2018 games lol

but now i'm sad because i have nothing left but lame cheevs i don't want to do. PC Ragnarok port when :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I wouldn’t call GOW 2018 grim dark but it definitely is pretty plodding.

Though man if the sad dad genre is your thing your eating well, even though that’s pretty much all it has

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i didn't really like the combat in gow, so i never finished it. it's so boring.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

What's up with the goon hateboner for God of War? I've never played one and it looks vaguely interesting.

i gotta do some hating sometimes and these 20 hour long interactive movie games are easy targets :blastu:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though man if the sad dad genre is your thing your eating well, even though that’s pretty much all it has

Yeah, it really lost me when I finally got to the destination that the entire plot revolved around so far and it pulled a "I'm sorry Kratos, but our princess is on another mountain" and basically told me I'd have to go through yet another set of contrived problems to get there. Sorry game, but I wasn't really all that invested in your plot or characters to start with, and you telling me it'll be another several hours before any resolution or meaningful plot development just makes me not want to bother.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I didn't mind that because the game is a road trip where all kinds of car troubles and accidents happen and the journey is what's important rather than the destination.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

CharlestheHammer posted:

He still slays gods, but now he's sad about it?

A literal line from the sequel.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

He still slays gods, but now he's sad about it?

A literal line from the sequel.

Christ...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

*Kratos punches man while flying through the air, throwing boulders at each other like a shounen anime*

Goons: What is this trying to be, The Road? Feh...

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
sounds like a cool cutscene op, unfortunately i already skipped it so i could get back to pressing buttons
if the game doesnt allow skipping cutscenes i just closed my eyes until it was over instead

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's not a cutscene.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
consider the following: the whole game is a cutscene

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lay back, close your eyes and think of the motherland until the game finishes cutscening all over you.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If your argument is that GOW was like a shonen that’s just wrong.

I wish it was but honestly that’s something the old games did much better

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

field balm posted:

Any real chill basebuilder games on sale? I don't mind complicated building/factory stuff just don't want to have to fight off enemies or anything while I do it. Ideally I just want to smoke up and then build a comfy place!

Aven Colony is my goto for chill scifi base building. It's an old exoplanet colony builder, which is super pretty, but rather lacking in terms of complexity. It doesn't do anything new, just the basic stuff you'd expect from a builder, but I just love the feel from the graphics/sounds. There's a campaign taking you across the settling of the planet, across different biomes, and it's just generally chill, sorting out the logistics of food, water, energy, air quality, drone coverage, etc. I guess there are technically "enemies", but it's more like environmental hazards and just a case of having a few turrets as part of your rounded build.

I'll always lament that the devs didn't have the time/money/desire to add modding because it could have been my dream scifi builder with a bit more scenarios or variety.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Finished the Gotham Knights story. The final few story missions where you only fight ninjas are a slog. I can't believe it took me so long to realize they were just gonna throw Bruce into a Lazarus pit when we start the game by watching him fight The Lazarus Pit Guy.

I enjoyed the ending cutscenes + the credits showing specific moments throughout the game with the exact character and costume you had on at the time. The tone was ruined when they started playing the Livin La Vida Loca cover during the credits. Way to absolutely ruin the impact of Bruce's "self-sacrifice" at the end (I'm assuming dying off screen means not dead).

Overall I had a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to doing the side content, especially the Super Villain quest lines in New Game+.

I decided to check out Godfall again since they added the "Spirit Realms" content as well as Valorplate shards, but the matchmaking seems entirely broken so I'm having a hard time selling it to my usual co-op partner. I still think the game itself is a really cool and fancy beat em up with lots of interesting mechanics, so I'll probably play it for a while even if I'm stuck solo. It's absolutely worth $13.60 on greenmangaming. https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/godfall-ultimate-edition-pc/

The story is still "who cares" but you can make a new character and skip straight to the end game of crafting the Valorplates, finding cool items and mods then using them to focus on whichever of the combat mechanics you're interested in engaging with.

To finally cap off this chain of poorly received AAA beat em ups, I'm gonna try The Avengers again since it's only $8.00. Last time I got it at $16 and I refunded after crasihng in my first mission from trying to open Iron Man's passive abilities menu so hopefully this time around goes better.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Dec 25, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the thing that stuck out the most to me with GOW was how padded it felt in terms of gameplay content, like they blew all the budget on cutscenes then realised they could only afford like 3 major unique boss fights in the entire game so the rest got filled out with copy paste encounters

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."
Only the magnificent Saoshyant could pull me out of the depths of the Cambodian jungle to say thank you for the awesome gift of Trails by Cold Steel Waking up in a lonely hostel away from loved one it really was Xmas surprise. Thank you, you wonderful goon!

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Foul Fowl posted:

i gotta do some hating sometimes and these 20 hour long interactive movie games are easy targets :blastu:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

sounds like a cool cutscene op, unfortunately i already skipped it so i could get back to pressing buttons
if the game doesnt allow skipping cutscenes i just closed my eyes until it was over instead

I refuse to believe either of you actually played the game. Of all the complaints you could levy at GoW 2016, "it's just a 20 hour long interactive movie" is absolutely not one of them.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I refuse to believe either of you actually played the game. Of all the complaints you could levy at GoW 2016, "it's just a 20 hour long interactive movie" is absolutely not one of them.

I feel like people just make up criticisms for funnier posting because I wouldn't describe that as the problem with modern AAA ubisoft sandboxes either.

Yakuza on the other hand :v:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

The GoW reboot rules, definitely worth playing especially at its sale price.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Would the cutscenes be more acceptable if there were QTEs or you had to occasionally press a button to have Kratos do stuff during them?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

A cutscene?? In my story-driven game??

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Honestly the only AAA mainstream game I could see describing as a playable movie is Uncharted/Last of Us, but you also snap a trillion people's necks in each of those games and people complain about that too.

ErrEff posted:

Would the cutscenes be more acceptable if there were QTEs or you had to occasionally press a button to have Kratos do stuff during them?

See this is Last of Us 2 :v:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The problem with these overproduced AAA games is that because their budgets are super high that means that they need to make a game that will sell a gazillion copies, which more often than not means that you get an extremely polished but also extremely generic game.

Very cool for people that fall in the target audience demographic. Not so much for anyone else.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

The prestige Sony AAA games are made to be broadly accessible, and they have to be, and that's okay. I realized they're not doing enough that is interesting for me but I don't have to like all games and the tens of millions of people that do like them can go have fun with them. (I did like Marvel's Spider-Man though)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

At least on occasion AAA industry manages to make some interesting poo poo like Doom Eternal, Death Stranding and Shadow of War, so it's not a complete lost cause.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I liked GoW pretty well and will probably play the new one at some point. I really loved the gameplay of Spider-Man and parts of the story but you sure do work with cops a whole lot which really sucks.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

you got me. i was tired of running. of the lies. i think on some level i wanted to be caught. just slap the handcuffs on me and send me to posting prison where i will reflect on my crimes for seven years.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

What's up with the goon hateboner for God of War? I've never played one and it looks vaguely interesting.

https://youtu.be/Gu031MIoZpM

It's just fine. I have the opinion that the camera sucks because it's tight focus over your shoulder so your vision is more narrow than I would like it. Some of the encounters are more tedious than interesting. It's beautiful and has an amazing attention to detail and despite how I played it, the main story isn't overly long.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

the new gow games are ok

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The mistaken identity thing in God of War was a cool reveal.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mr E posted:

I liked GoW pretty well and will probably play the new one at some point. I really loved the gameplay of Spider-Man and parts of the story but you sure do work with cops a whole lot which really sucks.

peter's love interest isn't mj, black cat, or even the cop lady. no, it is the nypd. that dude loves the nypd more than anything or anyone.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The GoW reboot drove me nuts with how much crawl/climb/shimmy over this ledge to do this thing/find a pick up so you can progress/get a doodad/find a collectible. I know these are staples for adventure games that feel they must include "puzzles" (to use the word lightly), but the length of any given segment between fights was just how many times they could slow you down by changing your movement animations. They also make replaying it unbearable.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Hopefully there’s less of that in gaming in general now that PS5/Xboxes/most higher end computers have SSDs and don’t need a loading door/ladder/shimmy area.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

The GoW reboot drove me nuts with how much crawl/climb/shimmy over this ledge to do this thing/find a pick up so you can progress/get a doodad/find a collectible. I know these are staples for adventure games that feel they must include "puzzles" (to use the word lightly), but the length of any given segment between fights was just how many times they could slow you down by changing your movement animations. They also make replaying it unbearable.

Sure but let's not pretend like the original GoW games didn't also have a ton of shimmying and jumping around and sliding box puzzles and poo poo.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Kratos is a bad dad but god drat it he really tried as much as a meat head like him could try.

I loved just about everything about GoW2018, I'm even tempted to call it my PC GOTY for this year.

Gimme more sad dad games.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Anno posted:

Hopefully there’s less of that in gaming in general now that PS5/Xboxes/most higher end computers have SSDs and don’t need a loading door/ladder/shimmy area.

i dont think they do it for loading anymore, i think it's just a "convenient" way to deliver dialogue in a controlled way which cant be hosed up by a player rushing through an area or something

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Sure but let's not pretend like the original GoW games didn't also have a ton of shimmying and jumping around and sliding box puzzles and poo poo.

They were more interactive and gave you a chance of failing them and getting game over though. Or just pissing you off to no end, remember that the most complained about segment of the original God of War was climbing out of Hades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

:bubblewoop: Merry Christmas goons. It's that time again to dump some random steam keys on you all! This time with some actual good games hiding in there! :bubblewoop:

E?oland 0NCVP-25AZL-?FMGH
Sentience an ?ndroid's tale F83Z?-F49WK-L5?FB
Ico?oclasts 7GGH8-D6P8Y-LD3?I
X-Morph: D?fense K7A4M-?383P-H2PDP
Equil?nox 0?VYL-35ZI8-BDEFD
H?ro of the Kingdom III 7W3XD-73PQ?-N0A9Z
Smok? and Sacrifice GXL?9-LHV5P-D4N5D
Roll?rcoaster Tycoon 2 F536E-KK5HR-9XT3?
Vikings - Wolves o? Midgard 0I8KY-54NQJ-XNMD?
Shadows Awak?ning - 0QFGB-XC9WE-PBP?Q
Magrunne?- 3QTH9-Y3BHV-L67?Q
?ini Ninjas - ?07DC-08HAB-DA46J
Knights of the Old R?public 2 - 5I5JA-WHMWV-F?WH5
?esterday Origins - 6B42D-9H5AA-?PVTE
S?mCity 4 - ?DHPV-IEWGN-LH79C
Death Fungeon (its just J) - X2PP7-0V5IB-27VJ?
Am?rican Fugivite - 8MRQ0-K4XBK-P0C?C
Ch?cago 1930 - 3?GP7-XYZDW-GF9TF
Rollercoaster ?ycoon 2 - A8VYD-IB?AI-5VMFN
Yakuza K?wami 2 - CH6MP-Y8TTQ-V?LF6
Frog D?tective - 00JAW-TQ?43-563GH
A?a Fell - K7LT3-N76XK-IRD?P
T?e Deed - K73V4-V9B2Z-8R23?
Star Vikings ?orever - KB5E?-J449P-XTWFW
Torch?ight 6ER0M-CP4KG-ZV4F?
Xcom ?himera squad 2B6JR-X?B9E-NHJVT
Ov?rfall 6XMDZ-J2M5?-JQWQQ
Nostra?amus: The Last Prophecy RNTIL-0VP3K-YA?GL
?ultist Simulator 0D6D2-NC6YZ-?LNAM
Neo?erse 0F9LZ-QRJ8Z-4GC?T
?onglomerate 451 PG29E-9?JTC-6EPWA
Aurio? ZCCV6-Q9IEY-90?PK
CHAOS CODE -NEW SIGN OF CATAST?OPHE- EEXJN-RFWRJ-PYXH?
?akuza 3 20HLQ-I264L-Z?7PB
Comedy ?ite MBZ6K-WLIX2-?48TQ
?ungeons 3 JBEKW-M9KM?-363F2
?NSOMNIA The Ark QBAH7-7X44?-V6QAD
?ook of Demons EKKJY-2J4JV-LE9I?
?uts and Glory 07BTY-NF2I?-8A047
Sybe?ia 3 05GCT-56G4J-7?5ZP
Tales of the ?eon Sea ?CQBX-3Y8M3-ZIEYM
Re?Galaxy PQ260-5GJ?F-5QG40
Lor?lei WGM8R-?T266-V5FGN
Tomb Raider U?derworld 8ZHXB-TB4LZ-?96XT
Driftla?d JFZQD-X40K3-GGP4?