Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So traditionally American (and European) wrestlers in Japanese promotions are booked as the heel gaijin, going back to the sport’s introduction. Who are the major exceptions? Whether they were introduced as faces or turned face over time, or even just went back and forth a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

MassRafTer posted:

This wasn't something he was hiding from the company like the Boogeyman tried

Wait, what's the story here? This is my first time hearing of it.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Wait, what's the story here? This is my first time hearing of it.

Boogeyman was on a tough enough tryout before being signed and insisted he was 30 until a judge asked to see his drivers license and he amended it immediately to “I’m 40”. I think I have those numbers right.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

So traditionally American (and European) wrestlers in Japanese promotions are booked as the heel gaijin, going back to the sport’s introduction. Who are the major exceptions? Whether they were introduced as faces or turned face over time, or even just went back and forth a bunch.

The more I think about the more examples I find from recent NJPW: Juice Robinson and David Finlay, Moxley, Karl Anderson and Prince Devitt…especially in this recent run there’s been a number of foreigners* who have been treated as essentially hontai or ‘main group’ faces.

*I know the phrase is used a lot but I don’t think it should be used the same way that, say, joshi is, because that form can come off as a slur in Japanese - the literal translation is ‘outside person.’ The longer form is gaikokujin (foreign country person) and is more neutral.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i'm kind of curious - how much of the trend of foreign faces in japan came along with flashier wrestling styles? i've always thought, unless you are doing some serious storytelling, it's hard to get a crowd to boo a guy doing flips. since foreign wrestler vs local wrestler is usually an easy shortcut for a face/heel dynamic with a crowd not familiar with any stories, i wonder if that started to change when the foreign wrestlers stopped just being brawlers and heaters

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

i'm kind of curious - how much of the trend of foreign faces in japan came along with flashier wrestling styles? i've always thought, unless you are doing some serious storytelling, it's hard to get a crowd to boo a guy doing flips. since foreign wrestler vs local wrestler is usually an easy shortcut for a face/heel dynamic with a crowd not familiar with any stories, i wonder if that started to change when the foreign wrestlers stopped just being brawlers and heaters

When i think "flashier wrestling styles" i dont exactly think of any of the guys named in Harperdc'd post

bartok
May 10, 2006

My partner signed me up for the ROH Honor Club for Christmas. My knowledge of ROH is very limited to shows I attended live whenever they came to Cincinnati and Dayton. What are the must watch shows?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Alaois posted:

When i think "flashier wrestling styles" i dont exactly think of any of the guys named in Harperdc'd post

I mean if you compare them to people like Stan Lane and Sid.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Maxwell Lord posted:

the destroyer after a while, bruno sammartino, mil mascaras, dos caras, karl gotch to an extent

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Smoking Crow posted:

the destroyer after a while, bruno sammartino, mil mascaras, dos caras, karl gotch to an extent

The Funks, too.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hansen was over as face in the 90's as well in All Japan

Kenny Omega started as a face in DDT, was a heel when he joined Bullet Club but than turned face

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
El Generico was always a face in DDT as well I think

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

apophenium posted:

Has there ever been a reigning champion who would steal signature moves from opponents they defended against? Not using the moves against them but like "I beat Jericho last week, so I'm going to put my opponent in the Liontamer next defense."

Seems like it could be cool if done well. Or maybe this has been done a hundred times, what do I know.

late and never a reigning champion I don't think, but Thief Ant in Chikara was mostly gimmicked around stealing moves and it was pretty cool

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Foreigners are faces all the time in modern njpw. Will Ospreay is a good example especially around his move to HW in 2019.

Even now since he turned heel the more loose heel/face alignments mean he's face half the time. Against okada at the g1 final Ospreay worked face and okada worked heel reversing the alignments they had at kingdom and the crowd happily accepted it.

But lots of foreigners are face, Robbie eagles is a face, Alex zaybe is a face. Dare I say filthy tom is somehow a heel in the US and a face in Japan

I feel there is just as much chance a new foreigner is a face these days

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 25, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think The Destroyer was one of the first to break the trend of the evil American needing to be beaten by Rikidozan/Baba/Inoki, in '70s All Japan. After that it slowly becomes more common that foreigners can be the good guy too.

And now we are at a point where foreigners are pretty much just another guy on the roster: Francesco Akira was over as a babyface in All Japan, now he's attached to United Empire in New Japan which means he's mostly heel? New Japan is kind of a sliding scale of alignment: Bullet Club heel, hontai face, then it comes from more face to more heel: CHAOS, LIJ, Suzukigun (RIP), UE. So the Empire might well be the babyface if it's Catch 22 vs SHO & Dick Togo, but if it's Cobb & O Khan against GBH or SANADA & Naito they probably work more heelish.

Activate
Oct 29, 2011

Thank you for the answers; I remember Billy and Chuck but not that they had a hairstylist.

I now have another question, and I swear this is a serious question I truly ponder; could you do a homo-erotic tagteam, trio or stable today and have it work?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Pheromones in DDT are very popular domestically and from what I can tell are very unpopular with western fans, so it's probably wouldn't work very well in a major American promotion. Of the four of them Dieno is the only explicitly gay character but the other three also lean very heavily into homoerotic and gay panic spots which is a real fuckin shame because they are capable of having geniunely good matches.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
A homoerotic team doesn't entail doing gay panic. They can just be gay.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I don't think Pheromones does a lot of gay panic per se there's plenty of times they do gay stuff and it's laughed off or embraced. It's more that they also do a lot of sexual assault stuff that the characters have a natural fear reaction to.

Like a lot Japanese pop culture that intersects with queer identities it's complicated. There's a substantial female Pheromones fandom, presumably getting into the BL/Yaoi aspect of seeing attractive men touching each other, kissing and getting near naked.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Dec 26, 2022

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

fez_machine posted:

I don't think Pheromones does a lot of gay panic per se there's plenty of times they do gay stuff and it's laughed off or embraced. It's more that they also do a lot of sexual assault stuff that the characters have a natural fear reaction to.

Like a lot Japanese pop culture that intersects with queer identities it's complicated. There's a substantial female Pheromones fandom, presumably getting into the BL/Yaoi aspect of seeing attractive men touching each other, kissing and getting near naked.

Fair, I worded it poorly in my first response

Nea posted:

A homoerotic team doesn't entail doing gay panic. They can just be gay.

Not necessarily, my point was that the team I was talking about do both, homoeroticism and leaning into dated stereotypes about gay men being more sexually aggressive which as they currently are would not work for a wider audience

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

But everyone loves The Acclaimed. And Dalton Castle and the Boys

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I was going to say, the Acclaimed actually do a bit of the old gay joke business despite Bowens at least being openly gay, but Dalton Castle and the Boys are unabashedly fabulous and not I have never seen a suggestion we are supposed to be laughing at the presentation, they are too AWESOME for that

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

One of my favorite things about Dalton is how he's coded that way but as the greatest babyface in the world

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Activate posted:

I now have another question, and I swear this is a serious question I truly ponder; could you do a homo-erotic tagteam, trio or stable today and have it work?

Team Bussy, and I'd say they'd work fine in AEW if coward tony would let intergender wrestling actually happen instead of the travesty that is mixed gender matches.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 26, 2022

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

whats the difference between an intergender match and a mixed gender match?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

whats the difference between an intergender match and a mixed gender match?

Intergender can have men/women wrestling each other where mixed usually has just men vs men and women vs women

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Oh wait yeah you're right it already exists it's Dalton and the boys and they're over as hell at least with nea

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

It was cool to see them skirting the rules for it at the New Japan/Stardom crossover show with the women very clearly wanting to fight the men on equal terms but being constrained by the format before Tanahashi broke bad and put the boots to Maika like a true hero

Or stuff like ASUKA winning the KO-D Tag belts with MAO, you didn't have to think too hard on it because ASUKA rules and is a match for anyone

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CommonShore posted:

One of my favorite things about Dalton is how he's coded that way but as the greatest babyface in the world

It’s so good

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I'd say Dalton/the Boys and the Acclaimed's scissoring thing are both examples of queer-coded stuff being used by babyfaces in a not-lovely way; the audience is laughing and cheering with them, not at them. It's pretty great.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CombineThresher posted:

I'd say Dalton/the Boys and the Acclaimed's scissoring thing are both examples of queer-coded stuff being used by babyfaces in a not-lovely way; the audience is laughing and cheering with them, not at them. It's pretty great.

Agreed

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

It was cool to see them skirting the rules for it at the New Japan/Stardom crossover show with the women very clearly wanting to fight the men on equal terms but being constrained by the format before Tanahashi broke bad and put the boots to Maika like a true hero

Or stuff like ASUKA winning the KO-D Tag belts with MAO, you didn't have to think too hard on it because ASUKA rules and is a match for anyone

I haven't watched the show yet but the gif I saw of Chihiro Hashimoto (I think) German suplexing Suwama ruled. Hashimoto is just a great wrestler, full stop. She'll suplex anyone, male or female or anyone else.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

forkboy84 posted:

I haven't watched the show yet but the gif I saw of Chihiro Hashimoto (I think) German suplexing Suwama ruled. Hashimoto is just a great wrestler, full stop. She'll suplex anyone, male or female or anyone else.

Unfortunately that may be the highpoint of the match unless you really like Okazi-gun shenanigans

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

Unfortunately that may be the highpoint of the match unless you really like Okazi-gun shenanigans

Makes them the perfect partners for a Voodoo Murders member really

Sucks too, Maya Yukihi is really good.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

CombineThresher posted:

My only negative about Dalton Castle and the Boys is the human throne thing they do. But that’s 100% rooted in the power dynamics on display and nothing to do with sexuality.

But Dalton Castle has been amazing in what little I’ve seen of their matches.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Like you wouldn't have a Boy Throne if you had a bunch of Boys.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The human throne thing is cool as gently caress and a very weird thing to get upset about from the perspective of visible ‘power dynamics’ in the context of a fake sport where big giant dudes regularly throw little tiny dudes around like rag dolls as a display of overwhelming violent force.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Power dynamics in queer cultures??? Cultures that gave the world new meanings of "top" and "bottom"?? Seems impossible

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

History Comes Inside! posted:

The human throne thing is cool as gently caress and a very weird thing to get upset about from the perspective of visible ‘power dynamics’ in the context of a fake sport where big giant dudes regularly throw little tiny dudes around like rag dolls as a display of overwhelming violent force.

It was pointed out to me by my partner and I just can’t shake it. Just a minor quibble really and that’s probably the most negative thing I can say about Dalton Castle or the boys and how they’re presented on TV.

And at the end of the day if a person can watch a Dalton Castle match and see a positive role model then that’s what matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nystral posted:

It was pointed out to me by my partner and I just can’t shake it. Just a minor quibble really and that’s probably the most negative thing I can say about Dalton Castle or the boys and how they’re presented on TV.

And at the end of the day if a person can watch a Dalton Castle match and see a positive role model then that’s what matters.

sounds like Dalton and the boys broke your heart