Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I’d like to plant trees on every square inch of Abbott’s lawn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Are we talking about sending people to Kamala in sub zero temps or the hosed up energy market here?

Edit: Theres no way the Dems can punish him for either of these things though so I guess it doesn't matter

lightpole fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 25, 2022

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

lightpole posted:

Theres no way the Dems can would punish him for either of these things though so I guess it doesn't matter

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GD_American posted:

I’m gonna make a Twitter called @Trees4Abbot and just push out Pro-Tree (which did nothing wrong) and Anti-Abbot (Tree hater) tweets 24/7 until Beto makes me bottom of the ticket in his 2028 failed presidential campaign.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

GD_American posted:

Four words

Drone delivered kudzu seeds

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

kill me now posted:

Four words

Drone delivered kudzu seeds

You don’t want to be the guy trying to fly a drone at the Chief Executive of the State of Texas.

You gotta go after stuff that’s fair game.

For instance, did you know that even though Colin Kapernick is no longer kneeling during the anthem, Greg Abbot hasn’t stood for the anthem in decades?

Abbot hates America, Trees, and Texass.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Conservatives hate trees though

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

goatsestretchgoals posted:

gently caress greg abbot

merry loving christmas

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

gently caress greg abbot

merry loving christmas

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I hope that tree comes back and finishes the job

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

GD_American posted:

Hire contractors to install one single stair in front of every bathroom in Abbot’s house.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

gently caress greg abbot

merry loving christmas

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1607170110900555777?s=20&t=d6dvgxfh-GrZlvfJKAuN4w
https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1607301617229131778?s=20&t=MS25AEU9C79bRhxmDjhrTA

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Hitting pilots instead of airframes is still a massive success.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

He made a lot of money when Elon overpaid for Twitter.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
It's a dim photo and I mostly see the sharp outlines on my phone, so I originally thought these were elves with big truck nutz hanging down under each one

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

The Eyes Have It posted:

It's a dim photo and I mostly see the sharp outlines on my phone, so I originally thought these were elves with big truck nutz hanging down under each one

Could probably commission that from Etsy.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The Eyes Have It posted:

Same lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The Eyes Have It posted:

It's a dim photo

it's his signature style

tim pool so dumb even joe rogan fans look down on him

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
That republican house elect dude admitted he lied about his education credentials. He also said he’s “jew-ish” not “jewish” and he always intended the former not the latter.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
It's cool you can like, just totally lie about everything, and nobody will bother checking until after you've won an election to congress

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

It's cool you can like, just totally lie about everything, and nobody will bother checking until after you've won an election to congress

You’d think you’d have to fill out actual information on your government forms for running for office. I’d think that would be a pretty easy disqualification, but I guess not. Are we even sure this guy is George Santos?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

That republican house elect dude admitted he lied about his education credentials. He also said he’s “jew-ish” not “jewish” and he always intended the former not the latter.

The New York Times posted:

Ending a weeklong silence, Representative-elect George Santos admitted on Monday to a sizable list of falsehoods about his professional background, educational history, business experience and property ownership. But he said he was determined to take the oath of office on Jan. 3 and join the House majority.

Mr. Santos, a New York Republican who was elected in November to represent parts of northern Long Island and northeast Queens, confirmed some of the key findings of a New York Times investigation into his background, but sought to minimize the misrepresentations.

“My sins here are embellishing my résumé,” Mr. Santos told The New York Post in one of several interviews he gave on Monday.

Mr. Santos admitted to lying about graduating from college and making misleading claims that he worked for Citigroup or Goldman Sachs. He once said he had a family-owned real estate portfolio of 13 properties; on Monday, he admitted he was not a landlord.

Mr. Santos, the first openly gay Republican to win a House seat as a non-incumbent, also acknowledged owing thousands in unpaid rent and a yearslong marriage he had never disclosed.

“I dated women in the past. I married a woman. It’s personal stuff,” he said to The Post, adding that he was “OK with my sexuality. People change.”

The admissions by Mr. Santos added a new wrinkle to one of the more astonishing examples of an incoming congressman falsifying key biographical elements of his background — with Mr. Santos maintaining the falsehoods through two consecutive bids for Congress, the first of which he lost.

Mr. Santos acknowledged that a string of financial difficulties had left him owing thousands to landlords and creditors. But he failed to explain in the interviews how his fortunes reversed so significantly that, by 2022, he was able to lend $700,000 to his congressional campaign.

Mr. Santos also firmly denied committing a crime anywhere in the world, even though The Times had uncovered Brazilian court records showing that Mr. Santos had been charged with fraud as a young man after he was caught writing checks with a stolen checkbook.

“I am not a criminal here — not here or in Brazil or any jurisdiction in the world,” he told The Post. “Absolutely not. That didn’t happen.”

In the court file, Mr. Santos is identified by his full name and date of birth, as well as by the names of his mother and father. The documents show that Mr. Santos confessed to the crime and was charged, but that the case remains unresolved because authorities were later unable to locate him.

In both interviews on Monday, Mr. Santos also denounced reporting by both CNN and The Forward, a Jewish publication, that he may have misled voters about his account of his Jewish ancestry, including that his maternal grandparents were born in Europe and emigrated to Brazil during the Holocaust.

“I never claimed to be Jewish,” Mr. Santos told The Post. “I am Catholic. Because I learned my maternal family had a Jewish background I said I was ‘Jew-ish.’”

Mr. Santos, who has repeatedly said he was religiously Catholic but has also identified as a nonobservant Jew, told The Post his grandmother had recounted how she converted from Judaism to Catholicism.

Mr. Santos, through representatives, has declined multiple requests to speak with The Times.

Over the course of his campaigns, Mr. Santos claimed to have graduated from Baruch College in 2010 before working at Citigroup and, eventually, Goldman Sachs. A biography on the National Republican Congressional Committee website said he had attended both Baruch and New York University and received degrees in finance and economics.

But the colleges and companies could not locate records to verify his claims when contacted by The Times.

In Monday’s interview, Mr. Santos admitted to The Post that he had not graduated from Baruch College or any college.

“I didn’t graduate from any institution of higher learning. I’m embarrassed and sorry for having embellished my résumé,” he said, later adding: “We do stupid things in life.”

He also admitted that he never worked directly for Goldman Sachs or Citigroup, blaming a “poor choice of words” for creating the impression that he had.

Past statements of Mr. Santos are relatively clear however: An archived version of Mr. Santos’s former campaign website preserved by the Internet Archive’s Wayback Machine says he “began working at Citigroup as an associate and quickly advanced to become an associate asset manager in the real asset division of the firm.”

Instead, he told The Post on Monday, he dealt with both firms through his work at another company, LinkBridge Investors, which connects investors with potential clients. LinkBridge, he said, had “limited partnerships” with the two Wall Street firms.

The Times was able to confirm Mr. Santos’s employment at LinkBridge. But in a version of his campaign biography posted as recently as April, Mr. Santos suggested that he had started his career on Wall Street at Citigroup and that he was at Goldman Sachs briefly before his time at LinkBridge.

A spokeswoman for Citigroup declined to comment. Representatives for Goldman Sachs and LinkBridge did not immediately respond to a request for more information.

Mr. Santos has not fully accounted for his employment during the years that he had claimed that he was advancing on Wall Street. In a separate interview with WABC radio, he confirmed reporting by The Times that he had worked at a call center in Queens in late 2011 and early 2012.

Yet even as Mr. Santos, whose victory helped Republicans secure a narrow majority in the next House of Representatives, admitted to some fabrication, his actions will likely not prevent him from being seated in Congress.

Democrats — including the outgoing House speaker, Nancy Pelosi, and the next House Democratic minority leader, Representative Hakeem Jeffries of New York — have suggested Mr. Santos is unfit to serve in Congress. Top House Republican leaders, including Representative Kevin McCarthy of California, have largely remained silent.

The House can only prevent candidates from taking office if they violate the Constitution’s age, citizenship and state residency requirements. Once he has been seated, however, Mr. Santos could face ethics investigations, legal experts have said.

Of greater potential concern are questions about Mr. Santos’s financial disclosures, where he reported earning millions of dollars from his company, the Devolder Organization.

Mr. Santos disclosed little about the operations of his company, and The Times could find no public-facing assets or other property tied to the firm. Mr. Santos also did not list any clients on his disclosures, despite the requirement that candidates list any compensation over $5,000 from a single source.

Intentionally omitting or misrepresenting information on a congressional financial disclosure is considered a federal crime.

The WABC interview itself was something of a political curiosity. Mr. Santos was interviewed by John Catsimatidis, a supermarket magnate and a big Republican donor, and Anthony Weiner, the former Democratic congressman who resigned in disgrace in 2011.

Mr. Weiner asked Mr. Santos about his claim, made in an interview last month shortly after his election, that a company he had worked for “lost four employees” at the Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando in June 2016. The Times reviewed news coverage and obituaries and found no evidence that could support the claim.

On Monday, Mr. Santos shifted his account slightly, telling Mr. Weiner that those four people were not yet employees but instead were in the process of being hired.

“We did lose four people that were going to be coming to work for the company that I was starting up in Orlando,” he said.

Mr. Santos did not name the company or provide additional information to support his statement. Public records show that Mr. Santos had a Florida driver’s license and was registered to vote in that state in 2016.

Mr. Santos was mostly recently registered to vote at a house in the Whitestone neighborhood of Queens, but the house’s owner said he moved out months before the election.

In The Post’s interview, Mr. Santos confirmed The Times’s reporting that he was currently living in Huntington, N.Y, a town just outside his congressional district. (Members of Congress are only required to live in the state they represent, not the district.)

Mr. Santos also admitted that he was not, as he claimed last year on Twitter, a landlord who makes significant income from 13 properties owned by him and his family.

“George Santos does not own any properties,” he told The Post, even though a financial disclosure he filed with the House in September said he owned an apartment in Rio de Janeiro.

“I said I was Jew-ish not Jewish” is loving :lol:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Yeah that's loving with me a bit.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

How have i never heard of anyone trying that as an excuse? It's so incredibly dumb and stupid, but it's also...right there .

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's a curb your enthusiasm joke if I've ever heard one

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Duzzy Funlop posted:

How have i never heard of anyone trying that as an excuse? It's so incredibly dumb and stupid, but it's also...right there .

My ex-wife used to say that because her step-father was Jewish and she'd celebrate Jewish holidays.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's a curb your enthusiasm joke if I've ever heard one

worse (from 2014)

https://twitter.com/LateNightSeth/status/459403575995555840?t=2sXP3_e5xnoWo8stZ7zDxA&s=19

Also, there were local journalists, and even the other campaign, that knew about some of this stuff or had feelings about it. The political side figured "hey, he's a MAGAnator" would be enough of an attack (lol) and didn't yell enough about it.

The big remaining question is where the gently caress he personally got all that money from, recently. Dude went from completely broke to being able to loan his own campaign $700k - that's the kind of lying that will get you hosed, not the resume poo poo.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

facialimpediment posted:

worse (from 2014)

https://twitter.com/LateNightSeth/status/459403575995555840?t=2sXP3_e5xnoWo8stZ7zDxA&s=19

Also, there were local journalists, and even the other campaign, that knew about some of this stuff or had feelings about it. The political side figured "hey, he's a MAGAnator" would be enough of an attack (lol) and didn't yell enough about it.

The big remaining question is where the gently caress he personally got all that money from, recently. Dude went from completely broke to being able to loan his own campaign $700k - that's the kind of lying that will get you hosed, not the resume poo poo.

Do we know who paid off Kavanaughs gambling debts out of nowhere?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
The answer is russian oligarchs, the saudis are tapped out til next year

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

That Works posted:

Do we know who paid off Kavanaughs gambling debts out of nowhere?

:lol: no, but even if we did it would just be ignored like marco rubio's billionaire sugar daddy.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Jarmak posted:

My ex-wife used to say that because her step-father was Jewish and she'd celebrate Jewish holidays.

Yeah this is a common descriptor in the Jewish community used by either non practicing, non observing Jews or Jews or who grew up in mixed families and weren't raised fully Jewish.

This guy is still full of poo poo though.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Coasterphreak posted:

The answer is russian oligarchs, the saudis are tapped out til next year

On Kavanaugh, probably his parents.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2021/09/heres-the-truth-about-brett-kavanaughs-finances/

quote:

As it turned out, there were rather simple answers to most of those questions. Kavanaugh explained to the Senate Judiciary Committee that much of his credit card debt stemmed from either work on his fixer-upper mansion or buying Nats season and playoff tickets for himself and a handful of dudes who’d been going to the games together for years. They had paid him back in full, the White House said at the time. As for the rest, while he was maddeningly obtuse in admitting it, Kavanaugh seems to have gotten lots of money from his parents.

As I explained back in 2018, gifts from family don’t have to be reported on federal judicial disclosure forms, and Kavanaugh’s family had deep pockets. He’s the only child of a “swamp creature,” Ed Kavanaugh, a longtime lobbyist for the cosmetics industry who spent his career schmoozing with Beltway insiders to fend off health and safety regulations and dueling with activists who wanted to ban cosmetic testing on animals. When the elder Kavanaugh retired in 2005, his compensation package that year from the Cosmetic, Toiletry and Fragrance Association totaled $13 million, according to the nonprofit group’s IRS filing.

Kavanaugh’s parents ensured he had a privileged upbringing—high school at Georgetown Prep in suburban Washington and an Ivy League education that seems to have left him without a whiff of student loan debt. Their largesse seems to have followed him into adulthood. As Kavanaugh explained in his written answers to Whitehouse: “We have not received financial gifts other than from our family, which are excluded from disclosure in judicial financial disclosure reports.” Rather than reveal any useful details that might have put an end to all the armchair speculation, he deployed opaque lawyerly language and wrote, “[I]t bears repeating that financial disclosure reports are not meant to provide one’s overall net worth or overall financial situation. They are meant to identify conflicts of interest. Therefore, they are not good tools for assessing one’s net worth or financial situation.”

Kavanaugh as failson to rich family tracks pretty well with his shitbaggery. $200k isn't much for them. But nobody knows where the gently caress Santos got his money from, since he was delinquent on rent, busted in Brazil for writing bad checks, and has been sketchy on his financial accounting.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

facialimpediment posted:

On Kavanaugh, probably his parents.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2021/09/heres-the-truth-about-brett-kavanaughs-finances/

Kavanaugh as failson to rich family tracks pretty well with his shitbaggery. $200k isn't much for them. But nobody knows where the gently caress Santos got his money from, since he was delinquent on rent, busted in Brazil for writing bad checks, and has been sketchy on his financial accounting.

He just found him his own Norman Braman.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Santos sounds like a self made bootstrapper to me, case closed

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

maffew buildings posted:

A triumph of networking

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

maffew buildings posted:

Self made (-it-up).

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
hmm

HMMMM

https://twitter.com/mattxiv/status/1607840047079768064?t=8SPmkTyPxkP7fuIxLKTf8g&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SHOCKER