Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Why do you shovel the snow?

it's just gonna come back, I don't see a point to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

shoveling snow, shoveling tickets, what's the difference

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

FISHMANPET posted:

My (electric) snowblower died a couple days ago. I'd been been thinking of getting a new one, but was hoping to make it through one more season. Then I tried to shovel some of this poo poo and I said "gently caress this" and cleared my driveway and drove to Menards and bought the one I'd had my eye on (also electric). Big upgrade.

Oh yeah this is the IT thread. We were closed Friday and at like 6 am my annoying coworker sends me a Slack message with some esoteric git command asking if it's the right way and I'm like I don't know dude, just open a pull request and I'll merge it, you don't need to make it so complicated/

Are you going to contact the company if it's a reputable manufacturer? It's an annoying phone call / email but a electric snowblower is a big piece of equipment to just die. I've gotten quite a bit of warranty service and replacement over the years from companies that aren't too stringent on their warranty duration. Logitech used to do this but has cut back on it, lol. It was effectively a lifetime warranty back in the day.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Fool posted:

not saying this is the case for you but shoveling snow is a huge factor in increased risk for heart attack

Yup.

If you "need cardio", you are the exact person that probably shouldn't be shoveling snow.

I had my heart attack in April of 2019, I was cleared to do everything by my cardiologist.... except shoveling snow. "Don't" I was told.

It's not actually good exercise. It uses muscles in ways that you don't normally use them (or need to unless you are a ditch digger). The cold wreaks havoc on your cardiovascular system, raising blood pressure and lowering oxygenation, while you strain and twist and raise your heart rate.

Use a snow pusher or a broom for lighter snow and a snow blower for deeper and hang up the shovel if you are over 40.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

See, stop shoveling snow. It's only coming back.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

gently caress, I'm 41.

Granted my driveway is 3 feet long.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Inner Light posted:

Are you going to contact the company if it's a reputable manufacturer? It's an annoying phone call / email but a electric snowblower is a big piece of equipment to just die. I've gotten quite a bit of warranty service and replacement over the years from companies that aren't too stringent on their warranty duration. Logitech used to do this but has cut back on it, lol. It was effectively a lifetime warranty back in the day.

It's 6 years old and the drive belt broke. It's a $20 part (that I've already ordered anyways). I did have some warranty work done on it a few years ago, but this is just normal wear and tear. Just at an absolutely awful time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dang I didn't know we had doctors in here that could extrapolate someone's entire medical situation from a single sentence. Y'all in the wrong line of work if you can do that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Perfectly healthy people drop dead from heart attacks shoveling snow, medical background doesn't have much to do with it.

It's incredibly stressful on the body in all the wrong places. It's worthwhile to avoid it however possible.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
When I bought my house my first purchase was a snowblower. It was a $100 refurbished 2 stage from lowes that for some reason despite my lack of any maintenance always fires up without trouble.

Shoveling snow is awful

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I had to put socks on, gently caress this weather. I live in a desert for a reason.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
We're through the worst of this round of bullshit in Chicago. Wasn't as bad as the polar vortex, but yesterday was brutal. Gonna be 50 on Friday though.
Never shovel, it all melts if you wait long enough.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Silly Newbie posted:

Never shovel, it all melts if you wait long enough.

You must not have a dog or kids that walk to the bus stop. Shoveling your sidewalk isn’t for you, it’s for being a decent person to your neighbors.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

bull3964 posted:

Yup.

If you "need cardio", you are the exact person that probably shouldn't be shoveling snow.

I had my heart attack in April of 2019, I was cleared to do everything by my cardiologist.... except shoveling snow. "Don't" I was told.

It's not actually good exercise. It uses muscles in ways that you don't normally use them (or need to unless you are a ditch digger). The cold wreaks havoc on your cardiovascular system, raising blood pressure and lowering oxygenation, while you strain and twist and raise your heart rate.

Use a snow pusher or a broom for lighter snow and a snow blower for deeper and hang up the shovel if you are over 40.

For me it was getting a FitBit. Being able to see the data my body was giving out after shoveling, I just could no longer ignore it. The driveway isn't bad, its the Great Wall of ice and snow that the plows leave that's hard to deal with.

With shoveling, you start running out of room to pile the snow as winter progresses.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Just don't go outside imo

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

From the National Weather Service Chicago social feeds:

Dude has at least 5 screens and seems to be doing it right.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You know it's government work when every monitor is a different model. Probably scavenged that setup from castoffs.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

xzzy posted:

You know it's government work when every monitor is a different model. Probably scavenged that setup from castoffs.

We used to raid the desks of employees that left or got fired as no one would come to reclaim the equipment for a few days.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

devmd01 posted:

You must not have a dog or kids that walk to the bus stop. Shoveling your sidewalk isn’t for you, it’s for being a decent person to your neighbors.

That was a joke, I shovel in normal times. Didn't this time, as it was like -30F real feel or whatever and going to be 50F on Thursday. It'll take care of itself.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Merry Christmas you degenerates, I hope no one gets paged today.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I shutdown my laptop entirely on Thursday and will not look at it until Wednesday

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I have, however, been looking at LinkedIn and yikes people are really trying to underpay rn

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Bonzo posted:

I got a new one this year that is battery powered. No more smelling like gas fumes after clearing the driveway. Much quieter too.

I've been looking at going battery powered on one, but all the battery ones with adjustable skids are far too expensive. I've got a broken one I just need to get around to actually fixing.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I, too, have a broken snowblower and I'm very mad about it right now.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

absolutely not

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Don't feel bad for me. Feel bad for my poor trees.

Also the neighbors made a fort

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

devmd01 posted:

Where I live, if someone slips and falls due to ice or snow on the sidewalk in front of your house, you can be held liable for damages if you didn't shovel or salt it.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

I have, however, been looking at LinkedIn and yikes people are really trying to underpay rn

This has been a pretty big problem for me as I've been looking for a new job this whole time since I got laid off. I'm getting tons of offers, but they're all low balling me by around 20 to 40k a year. I still got severance and savings left, so I'm trying to hold out as long as I can, but good God these offers are terrible. Anything I see is either a 30% or higher cut in pay or is almost double my salary but I don't qualify for it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Apply anyway, let them decide if you're qualified

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Take 2-3 of the underpaying jobs and phone it in. They get what they pay for.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

KillHour posted:

I, too, have a broken snowblower and I'm very mad about it right now.

It was a sunny 22 degrees in Florida for Christmas and we were all losing our poo poo.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Hughmoris posted:

It was a sunny 22 degrees in Florida for Christmas and we were all losing our poo poo.

Yeah, my old boss sent me a picture of his mom’s place in north Florida with ice coming from their outside tap

Floridians lose their minds over this because snow and ice are very much not things here

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If any engineers started cautioning about o-rings, I hope people listened.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Apply anyway, let them decide if you're qualified

I specifically avoid job postings that ask for mostly stuff I've never done before and have no experience with. Feels like I'd be wasting my time even if they did hire me and I would do a terrible job trying to learn everything for the first time and having no real experience or knowledge to fall back on.

Have you guys ever applied to jobs like that anyway and got them? If so, how did it work out?

E: another reason I avoid them is because I know I'll fail the technical portion of the interview since I don't have any experience or knowledge in what they want, and I imagine it's pretty embarrassing to have no idea what the gently caress I'm talking about in the middle of an interview

Umbreon fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 26, 2022

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I imagine that's literally how every person or almost every person in this thread got their start. They got hired for their first job with no experience or very little experience and learned from those around them or figured it out. You're only hurting yourself by not applying to jobs that you might think are a stretch.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
There's an important difference you're not distinguishing. Have you worked in relevant areas, but not the specific thing they list? Simplified example: "Our shop uses Dell servers exclusively, and I've been up to my elbows in them physically and digitally. I've never worked on HP boxes, but I expect they're similar enough I can be effective in a few minutes of orientation time."

I'm a Windows/Active Directory/Microsoft stack guy. I've specialized in that, and now serve as one of the few people who can say "We need to call Microsoft because our AD is high-fuckered." I'm also deep in a few very specific infrastructure applications, and understand the underlying technologies and concepts. I'm perfectly comfortable applying to roles that call for those specific technologies, even if they use a completely different program. I've got enough context on those to say "Well, I don't know how $ProgramX does it, but we use $ProgramY's $Feature1 to accomplish this, and I expect $ProgramX has something similar to achieve this desired state."

I'll probably never apply for a DBA role or something that's 95% Linux. But I have enough experience with Azure that I could probably be successful in an AWS-first environment. Likewise, the specialized infrastructure stuff I do may need some spin-up time for the particular flavor of solution, but the foundational concepts aren't changing.

So yea, if you're close on the technology, apply and let them say "no". Saying "we don't think you're a good fit" is their job too, not just yours. At the very least, jumping into the deep end of applying will help you feel more confident in the roles you're a slam-dunk for.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The more out of your depth you are 1. The more you learn and 2. The less they have to un-teach you for whatever stupid boutique garbage the new place has going on

Anyway my coworker and I have decent odds of getting a raise and that'll keep me a few months if it's in the multi-dollar-per-hour range

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Umbreon posted:

I specifically avoid job postings that ask for mostly stuff I've never done before and have no experience with. Feels like I'd be wasting my time even if they did hire me and I would do a terrible job trying to learn everything for the first time and having no real experience or knowledge to fall back on.

Have you guys ever applied to jobs like that anyway and got them? If so, how did it work out?

E: another reason I avoid them is because I know I'll fail the technical portion of the interview since I don't have any experience or knowledge in what they want, and I imagine it's pretty embarrassing to have no idea what the gently caress I'm talking about in the middle of an interview

I had some experience (lol barely) with Citrix Metaframe and put it on my resume. I got hired at one place because I was the only candidate who even knew what it was. The project that was going to use this got cancelled a week after I started but I stayed there 8 years.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I’m fine with being temporary embarrassed in an interview with a stranger if it means the chance of making a bunch more money.

I focus more on the job title and experience requirements/pay range than I do the actual job listing as half the time they are a shotgun blast of industry keywords straight out of a security+ exam. Let them decide if my resume matches the experience they are looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
You guys make some excellent points. I'm realizing now that if they bother to give me an interview, that means they at least like me enough that they saw my resume doesn't have all the poo poo they want but they still asked me to come talk to them anyway, so they're probably going to be well aware that I don't know and won't be surprised about it. I'm just going to go for broke and hit up the higher paying jobs anyway, if I get asked for poo poo I have no idea about I'll just say that I may not know about X yet but I have been wanting to learn and would gladly accept any training for it (which won't be a lie because there's lots of stuff I have been wanting to get into but never really got the chance to).

Thanks guys, here's to hoping I get lucky.