Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1607289747134709762?s=20&t=fi_2sNASG_gPZbv2YZ1IHw

I know Russians loved them some "eastern" cowboy movies in Soviet times but this must get tiresome for Native Americans when even white chuds like to claim their blood quantum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

this must get tiresome for Native Americans when even white chuds like to claim their blood quantum

He's just the latest in a long string of "Cherokee princesses"

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Which was frequently code for "had a black great-great-great" so joke's on them

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Alan Smithee posted:

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1607289747134709762?s=20&t=fi_2sNASG_gPZbv2YZ1IHw

I know Russians loved them some "eastern" cowboy movies in Soviet times but this must get tiresome for Native Americans when even white chuds like to claim their blood quantum

He's not claiming their blood, he's claiming that since the landbridge thing means most if not all native American ancestors came from what is now Russia, that they are "Russian".
Because they came from conquered Russian territory and largely from the conquered indigenous peoples therein.

Which is actually kind of grosser??

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Alan Smithee posted:

Ah, yes, the paleo-Siberian peoples who crossed the Bering land bridge were famously extremely Slavic, and their nearest relatives on the western side of the strait were all treated very well by the Russian state. Good observation!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/RitornellaNYC/status/1607374499539976192?s=20&t=vFd2_kim5g0wGEmMVqrPkg

https://twitter.com/RobertJ09323900/status/1607397690312380417?s=20&t=fi_2sNASG_gPZbv2YZ1IHw

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Grape posted:

He's not claiming their blood, he's claiming that since the landbridge thing means most if not all native American ancestors came from what is now Russia, that they are "Russian".
Because they came from conquered Russian territory and largely from the conquered indigenous peoples therein.

Which is actually kind of grosser??

What’s the issue here? Scientific evidence supports the theory that indigenous Americans came from present day Russia.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?

How far back do we wanna go? By this logic, all humans are Africans. (Also true)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

That does not make them russians any more than turks or finns or slovenians are russians.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
By that logic the Spanish and Indians (Asian) are also Russian.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
By that logic the Russians are Botswanan.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Aren't we all Africans if that logic is applied all the way down the line?

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
The Russian defenestration assassination stuff has some real "Existence as a Parody of Itself" energy every time it comes up.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Did you guys watch the short video? The translation is saying that these are his claims:

1. Anglo-Saxons are suppressing native Americans

2. Native Americans originated from modern day Russia

Which statement is false?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Native Americans are (sometimes theorized to come) from areas that would be much later conquered and genocided by Moscow, yes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Boris Galerkin posted:

Did you guys watch the short video? The translation is saying that these are his claims:

I listened to the russian. Native americans are not "[their] russians."

Also it's pretty obviously a deflection from what Russia actually did to the east and what it's currently doing in Ukraine, not a plea to help current indigenous peoples of the Americas, so uh, what's your point?

The proto-indo-europeans also migrated through Russia and Ukraine, does that mean all Europe is russians? Iranians are russians? Aryan-language-group indians are russians?

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 26, 2022

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The ancestors of Anglo-Saxons left Russia about 10,000-15,000 years after the ancestors of Native Americans.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

The X-man cometh posted:

By that logic the Spanish and Indians (Asian) are also Russian.

Given the recent brand of russian rhetoric, that just means they're prime candidates for russo reunification!

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Literally the first subtitle includes "Indians are Russians!". Not to even get into the context of all this coming from a furious talking head on hyper-nationalist Russian state TV.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Take this conversation literally anywhere else, preferably with your trash.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Next time I'll be sure to cheer on the death of 3 random people who may or may not have been involved with the Russian war machine. Then I won't be spouting trash?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Next time I'll be sure to cheer on the death of 3 random people who may or may not have been involved with the Russian war machine. Then I won't be spouting trash?

Here’s the exhaustive list of goons reading this thread that want to see half a page long argument about a stupid sound bite from a random nobody on Russian TV:

Similarly, if you’d like to simply cheer on someone dying, this isn’t the thread for it.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1607367357063729152
More Psy-Ops? I thought Ukraine said they were only interested in attacking military targets, not cities.

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 26, 2022

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
The Kremlin is not a military target? That's where the war criminal grandpa lives

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Its a really dangerous precedent

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

So far it’s just words, much like Danilov’s recent statements that Ukraine will be fully liberated by summer.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
It's a good warning because Russia has to stretch their AA thin by getting them to defend cities deep inside, far away from the front

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Willo567 posted:

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1607367357063729152
More Psy-Ops? I thought Ukraine said they were only interested in attacking military targets, not cities.

Gerashenko is not a trustworthy source on these matters

Although Ukraine has announced development and testing of long-range drones some months ago.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

fatherboxx posted:

Gerashenko is not a trustworthy source on these matters

How is he not trustworthy? He's an advisor to the Ministry of Internal Affairs

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'm doing them out of a calculus that this way the thread is less likely to go on a protracted, tedious tangent when there's a regular stream of news. As such, I'm far from enjoying feeling the pressure to spend my time on them consistently, as the primary feedback loop of “cannibalistic derails are less likely to happen” is not that exciting.

If you did them as a weekly digest it might result in you feeling less pressure to spend time on them? You could possibly just bookmark any interesting articles you come across yourself during the week as it goes along so the research would feel a bit more organic/less forced.

But whatever works, either way your effort is appreciated!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Willo567 posted:

An advisor is exactly just that, a position that does not involve any decision-making. He's also got a long history of bombastic claims, even before this year.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Blut posted:

If you did them as a weekly digest it might result in you feeling less pressure to spend time on them? You could possibly just bookmark any interesting articles you come across yourself during the week as it goes along so the research would feel a bit more organic/less forced.

But whatever works, either way your effort is appreciated!

The specifics of scheduling the writing are secondary to my irritation with the fact of it. That said no, a weekly digest would betray the point of it, having a regular supply of something meaningfully relevant to the purpose of the thread.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'd be pretty shocked if there are many non-military folk on a military airbase. This wasn't a random civilian airport, but the military airbase that they've been launching missiles from at Ukraine's civilians.

If any place was a valid target to hit, it'd be Engels-2.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The specifics of scheduling the writing are secondary to my irritation with the fact of it. That said no, a weekly digest would betray the point of it, having a regular supply of something meaningfully relevant to the purpose of the thread.

Don't worry about it, then. You're not getting paid enough for that sort of aggravation.

We can manage to just post stuff as interesting stuff comes up. Use your buttons to contain off-topic derails.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Deteriorata posted:

Don't worry about it, then. You're not getting paid enough for that sort of aggravation.

We can manage to just post stuff as interesting stuff comes up. Use your buttons to contain off-topic derails.

I think that punitive interventions are of limited use in this specific situation, to get to the best possible outcome, and so I'll keep doing my thing for as long as I care to moderate, or figure out something better. I just wanted to candidly reply to Blut on the real motivations behind this, which isn't even close to a newsletter “opportunity” lost on me.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Willo567 posted:

Advisor in Ukranian context means media proxy/surrogate, they (Podolyak, Herashenko and Arestovych as the main ones) are just talking heads for their offices with a lot of freedom for narratives.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Ukrainians probably going to be written in Latin script within a decade the way things are going

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Ukrainians probably going to be written in Latin script within a decade the way things are going

I think Kazakhstan decided to go there even before the war, Ukraine will probably manage within 3-5 years IMO. I hope for Belarus too.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Welp, looks like the Bellingcat crew's winter vacation in Moscow has to be cancelled now.

https://mobile.twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1607363035374694401

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

That would be a large cultural change for sure, would Turkey be the last big country to change their alphabet?

On the other hand they have as much right to Cyrillic as russia does, if not more.

edit; forgot Kazakhstan :kiddo: