Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I was supposed to be visiting family in Santa Cruz for Christmas until literally half an inch of snow shut the city of Portland down. As a consolation gift I was handed a stack of cash and told to go to the record store. So I hit my favorite spot in town Crossroads and grabbed everything that would fit into my bag:

I didn't find a copy of the new Karma reissue, but I'll throw money at any Pharoah Sanders records all day. Africa's new to me, too.

Getting all up in some soundtracks. I've watched Phantom of the Paradise probably three times in the last month, that one was an immediate gimmie. I don't know if Home of the Brave is a condensed version of the United States box, but it's a nice replacement for when I don't have the time to commit to a five record album.

I had no idea there was an unreleased Units record. The copy on the sticker says it's more pop, I'm excited and Futurismo's releases are super fancy. I had my hand on two Legendary Pink Dots (And dots related) albums that were $12 a pop. This solo record won out because all four sides are sealed. what is in itt, even?. I'm not into singer/songwriters at all and I just don't perceive lyrics 9 times out of ten, but the BF slipped on Hissing of Summer Lawns on at a party once and it hit me real good. And Barnes and Barnes did Fish Heads, But a lot of these songs are legit. Soak it Up is the best '80s pop song about female ejaculation you've ever heard.

And if you're not into music

Flight F I N A L was sampled extensively by Negativland and it's a buck wild narrative about a passenger plane that's flying to heaven with all the fresh souls on board. Rickles is ruthless and always a good time and the Emo Phillips record cover just fucks so hard.

And that wraps up Christmas Haul 2022.

Also: just 'cause I gotta talk Res bullshit, that cancelled flight has been transferred to another plane ticket in three weeks where I will be attending The Residents' super secret 50th Anniversary one-off show in San Francisco. They're advertising 20 hand-picked songs, guest stars known and unknown and apparently they're only letting about 50 people in for the show. What are they even going to dooooo? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

caligulamprey posted:

Flight F I N A L was sampled extensively by Negativland and it's a buck wild narrative about a passenger plane that's flying to heaven with all the fresh souls on board. Rickles is ruthless and always a good time and the Emo Phillips record cover just fucks so hard.

Crossroads is honestly the best record store in Portland.

That flight final is one of my favorite record covers, I used it for a flyer last summer!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

LOL I didn't even know that about Negativeland using that record, I ripped it some time ago for sampling. Oh well, thanks Obamna!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

petit choux posted:

LOL I didn't even know that about Negativeland using that record, I ripped it some time ago for sampling. Oh well, thanks Obamna!
It's from a compilation of material they recorded on their Over the Edge radio show. This comp's probably my favorite, though Volume three (Where The Weatherman comes out as gay live on radio in 1982 is a real snapshot of the country's perception of queerness at the time) is also buck wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iIxO-nX7nA

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Thank you!!!

I picked up this one as well last week, I'm starting to think it's approaching one of the worst albums I've ever bought. And if you know my record collection, that really is something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q9nKXMreKc

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I managed to get a good haul for Christmas

I asked for and got:

Bartees Strange - Farm to Table
Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna Are You the Destroyer
The XX - XX
The Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Cool it Down

I didn't ask for, but got:

Of Montreal - Snare Lustrous Doomings. My dad accidentally bought the wrong record, this is apparently a live album, which sounds fun.
Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill. My brother saw that I had been to a lot of 20 year anniversary concerts this year, and remembered that I liked this album as a kid, so this was a nice idea

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Some friends got me Simpsons Sing the Blues so I’ve been doing the Bartman since Sunday.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Hi everyone, I'm not deeply familiar with vinyl so please be patient.

My wife was shopping around and found a cheap record player. This one, specifically.

She bought it because she thought it was really cute and matched the decor she was going for in our brand new place. It's obviously cheap, and it has one major issue I'm hoping for advice with.

It just hates certain records, and is entirely copacetic with others. Those hated records skip constantly. I can't find anything in common with the records that skip: some are brand new, seconds out of the plastic shrink wrap perfectly flat 200g pressings. Others are old and wavy. On the other hand, there are other records that look exactly the same that play perfectly. In fact, one of the most consistent records is an original pressing of Willie Nelson"s Red-Headed Stranger which is almost 50 years old and looks like the sea after a storm. It has never skipped once.

Is there any known way to deal with this? I'm a complete baby beginner, so even if it's something insanely obvious please tell me. I'm just annoyed that it seems that there are just certain records I will never be able to listen to without buying another machine.

Things I have tried:
  • Cleaning the stylus (it was only unboxed brand new a week ago, but I looked for hair and fluff anyways)
  • Cleaning the records (I don't have any special equipment, but I have given the worst offenders gentle wipes with soft cloth. This seemed silly to do because I literally took a brand new record out of the shrink wrap, put it on the player, and it was skipping within 30 seconds)

Is there a way to increase the downward force from the arm? I put a very gentle finger on top of the cassette as an experiment and it fixed everything.

Thanks and sorry for the silly questions.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Samfucius posted:

[*] Cleaning the records (I don't have any special equipment, but I have given the worst offenders gentle wipes with soft cloth. This seemed silly to do because I literally took a brand new record out of the shrink wrap, put it on the player, and it was skipping within 30 seconds)

I'm unfortunately no help when it comes to the equipment, but I can say that you should still clean brand new records before listening. They still get kinda fuzzy, and I've noticed the biggest culprit is debris from the paper inner sleeves most new records come with. I've had brand new records look dirtier than ones I've last listened to a week ago!

Casual listeners definitely don't need a whole record-cleaning machine (blanking on the brand name), but you should definitely get a little basic kit with record cleaning solution, etc. and give it even a basic cleaning each listen. It seems excessive at first, but I'm sure it'll be much better in the long run! :kiddo:

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Samfucius posted:

My wife was shopping around and found a cheap record player. This one, specifically.

She bought it because she thought it was really cute and matched the decor she was going for in our brand new place. It's obviously cheap, and it has one major issue I'm hoping for advice with.

It just hates certain records, and is entirely copacetic with others. Those hated records skip constantly. I can't find anything in common with the records that skip: some are brand new, seconds out of the plastic shrink wrap perfectly flat 200g pressings. Others are old and wavy. On the other hand, there are other records that look exactly the same that play perfectly. In fact, one of the most consistent records is an original pressing of Willie Nelson"s Red-Headed Stranger which is almost 50 years old and looks like the sea after a storm. It has never skipped once.

Is there any known way to deal with this? I'm a complete baby beginner, so even if it's something insanely obvious please tell me. I'm just annoyed that it seems that there are just certain records I will never be able to listen to without buying another machine.

Things I have tried:
  • Cleaning the stylus (it was only unboxed brand new a week ago, but I looked for hair and fluff anyways)
  • Cleaning the records (I don't have any special equipment, but I have given the worst offenders gentle wipes with soft cloth. This seemed silly to do because I literally took a brand new record out of the shrink wrap, put it on the player, and it was skipping within 30 seconds)

Is there a way to increase the downward force from the arm? I put a very gentle finger on top of the cassette as an experiment and it fixed everything.

Most recommendations will be to get a better record player. If there's not a tonearm adjustment near the base of the tone arm you can add weight to the tonearm with various forms of jankiness. You don't want it too heavy. Without knowing anything else about the player, I'd probably upgrade the stylus and stylus+cartridge.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Thanks, I might get an LP60X or something after the next paycheck.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Tape a penny to the tonearm.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Those turntables are generally more for show than anything else, they look cute but you don't really want to actually play music on them. And you definitely don't want to follow the joke advice above about the penny.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

Those turntables are generally more for show than anything else, they look cute but you don't really want to actually play music on them. And you definitely don't want to follow the joke advice above about the penny.

It’s not really a joke. It would work. There’s definitely not enough tracking force.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Yeah, taping coins is literally what a lot of folks did in the 70s - OP needs more tracking force and that's a diy way to do it when the tonearm doesn't have a counter balance. You do have to be careful not to put too much weight or you'll mess up your records, but that's the same as if you adjusted your tonearm counter balance - I can't see how there's anything inherently worse about using a coin. You can buy or borrow a pressure sensor\scale to make sure the weight is correct.

All that being said, yeah, even an lp60 would probably be an upgrade, though maybe save a couple paychecks and spring for the 120.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah people used to do the penny thing but it’s a really bad idea hence I assumed it was a joke. Adding even more tracking force to a Crosley clone is not the answer.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah people used to do the penny thing but it’s a really bad idea hence I assumed it was a joke. Adding even more tracking force to a Crosley clone is not the answer.

It’s not like anyone should care about ruining the stylus. It might not be great for the media, but if brand new records are skipping the tracking force isn’t high enough, and I’m sure it’s not adjustable. It would work.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Looking at those pictures, it's just using the same mechanism as a Crosley, which is a cheap thing that all the discount record players use.

It could just be defective, since a new record player shouldn't have that many problems playing a disc. Like, most records are mastered somewhat conservatively that the mechanism you're using should play it.

The only other thing is just look at how you have it set up. Is it level, is it getting a lot of vibrations or something.

But beyond that, it's just a crappy mechanism and you might not be much that you can do with that thing.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Second the notion to return/sell it and get a LP60.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

BigFactory posted:

It’s not like anyone should care about ruining the stylus. It might not be great for the media, but if brand new records are skipping the tracking force isn’t high enough, and I’m sure it’s not adjustable. It would work.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Looking at those pictures, it's just using the same mechanism as a Crosley, which is a cheap thing that all the discount record players use.

It could just be defective, since a new record player shouldn't have that many problems playing a disc. Like, most records are mastered somewhat conservatively that the mechanism you're using should play it.

The only other thing is just look at how you have it set up. Is it level, is it getting a lot of vibrations or something.

But beyond that, it's just a crappy mechanism and you might not be much that you can do with that thing.

It’s a super common issue on all the players with this mechanism, if you look up bad reviews of things like Adele records on Amazon it’ll all be about skipping around. The stylus is worth about 50c and already runs at about 5-6g, adding more weight just isn’t a great idea especially when most records these days cost about half as much as one of these players. You’re probably not going to damage the record playing it a handful of times on these things at stock, but it’s not exactly a fun experience even when they work.

Put it on display for fun or switch it out for a regular turntable and then enjoy the music properly.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I reckon the problem is less lack of tracking force, which is laffo heavy on these things, and more whacked-out anti-skate.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

HK5000 posted:

Help me out. I need to buy some new sleeves. Oversized ones that can fit like a double-LP gatefold. I have normal, 3mm ones. I also have large ones that can fit boxsets. The large ones hang far too loose on the problematic records. Anybody know of a good source for ones that are, say, twice the width of the "regular" sleeves? I just got a couple of Pharaoh Sanders reissues and, like some of my records, I can't find a sleeve that fits them well.

I've always used these:

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/produ...bmost-popularba

They easily accommodate a double LP and can even fit a triple LP (though it's usually a snug fit).

Nihonniboku posted:

Of Montreal - Snare Lustrous Doomings. My dad accidentally bought the wrong record, this is apparently a live album, which sounds fun.
Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill. My brother saw that I had been to a lot of 20 year anniversary concerts this year, and remembered that I liked this album as a kid, so this was a nice idea

If you like of Montreal then that live album is a good buy. If you've never been to one of their shows I highly recommend it.

Samfucius posted:

Things I have tried:

I'm going to be totally blunt and just tell you that these things are the worst option you can get without digging up a Fisher Price turntable at a flea market. Dropping the price of a 200 gram pressing and playing it on this thing is a gigantic waste of money (and the whole 200 gram thing is just a marketing gimmick and a scam but that's a whole other discussion). At best it's going to sound like poo poo, at worst it's going to be damaging the records. I'd also recommend an LP60 as others have suggested. Additionally, don't wipe records with any cloths that aren't non-abrasive microfiber. For removing surface dust it's best to get an antistatic carbon fiber record brush. They vary in price but they're all pretty much the same so it doesn't matter which one. Don't use that thing with the goo you squirt on the disc and spread around with a wooden handled brush. They're usually branded Discwasher but they come in a variety of names. They just spread the gunk around and aren't an effective means of cleaning.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 30, 2022

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I got an Ortofon Super 10 for Christmas and I'm happy with it so far. Sounds a bit better than my old Sure. Tracks at 1.5g with an elliptical stylus.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

CPL593H posted:

If you like of Montreal then that live album is a good buy. If you've never been to one of their shows I highly recommend it.

I have! I saw them touring in Detroit for Hissing Fauna (with MGMT as the opener, when they still building themselves as Management and hadn't blown up yet), in DC for Skeletal Lamping, and again in DC for False Priest (with Janelle Monae as the opener). Those first two shows were incredible, and they exuded energy. I'm not much of a dancer, but I danced my rear end off at those shows.

The False Priest tour was a disaster. I had heard stories before the show that Of Montreal and Janelle Monae weren't getting along at all. When Janelle Monae came out, she blew the roof off of the venue. Of Montreal on the other hand, not so much. They were giving off a very strange energy, and kept on going on experimental jam sessions with giant papier macher goldfish running back and forth across the stage. It was very strange, and more than half the audience left halfway through. We got drinks at a bar nearby after, and our waiter said he could always tell when a show was over based on the crowds leaving. We told him that the show was still going.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I need Janelle Monae to get back to music. Last time she toured I got shut out and that's just unacceptable.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

Read After Burning posted:

Those are two fantastic grabs, my fellow vaporwave lover! :dance:
I've learned that everything eventually gets a repress. Except Floral Shoppe.

Read After Burning posted:

I'm honestly tempted to make a thread...
I'd be down for that. Don't know if anyone else is interested, tho.

caligulamprey posted:

I need Janelle Monae to get back to music. Last time she toured I got shut out and that's just unacceptable.
:hmmyes:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Stopped at an antique store booth today that had all their records for $2.50. I only picked up two though

The Links is some hilarious lounge music covers of popular songs. Good stuff, and the jacket is signed by the band.

https://youtu.be/UgVpI_buqNY

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

caligulamprey posted:

I was supposed to be visiting family in Santa Cruz for Christmas until literally half an inch of snow shut the city of Portland down. As a consolation gift I was handed a stack of cash and told to go to the record store. So I hit my favorite spot in town Crossroads and grabbed everything that would fit into my bag:

I didn't find a copy of the new Karma reissue, but I'll throw money at any Pharoah Sanders records all day. Africa's new to me, too.

Getting all up in some soundtracks. I've watched Phantom of the Paradise probably three times in the last month, that one was an immediate gimmie. I don't know if Home of the Brave is a condensed version of the United States box, but it's a nice replacement for when I don't have the time to commit to a five record album.

I had no idea there was an unreleased Units record. The copy on the sticker says it's more pop, I'm excited and Futurismo's releases are super fancy. I had my hand on two Legendary Pink Dots (And dots related) albums that were $12 a pop. This solo record won out because all four sides are sealed. what is in itt, even?. I'm not into singer/songwriters at all and I just don't perceive lyrics 9 times out of ten, but the BF slipped on Hissing of Summer Lawns on at a party once and it hit me real good. And Barnes and Barnes did Fish Heads, But a lot of these songs are legit. Soak it Up is the best '80s pop song about female ejaculation you've ever heard.

And if you're not into music

And that wraps up Christmas Haul 2022.

Also: just 'cause I gotta talk Res bullshit, that cancelled flight has been transferred to another plane ticket in three weeks where I will be attending The Residents' super secret 50th Anniversary one-off show in San Francisco. They're advertising 20 hand-picked songs, guest stars known and unknown and apparently they're only letting about 50 people in for the show. What are they even going to dooooo? :allears:

I am extremely jealous of that Profondo Rosso and Phantom of the Paradise you have. Love both movies and the scores are loving amazing.

Also howdy vinyl Goons! I got a Victrola for Xmas (still waiting for it to actually arrive because lol Amazon) and I've already bought some records to show off

The first CoF album I heard.....Jesus Christ almost 20 years ago :magical:

Trv Norwegian Black Metal on pretty purple vinyl :3:

Double disc and the back of the second is engraved with the logo

The cobalt vinyl looks sooo good in person

And my favorite Roxy Music album.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

joylessdivision posted:

Trv Norwegian Black Metal on pretty purple vinyl :3:

:hellyeah:

2nd wave black metal rules

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

New year = New Mix+New Art Style. My usual all vinyl mix of funky, psychedelic, world music.

https://www.mixcloud.com/Radio_RapTz/moss-appeal-41-ft-pete-moss/

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The YouTube algorithm doesn't understand what music I like to listen to, but it sure as poo poo knows what album covers to show me:

:swoon:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

sporklift posted:

New year = New Mix+New Art Style. My usual all vinyl mix of funky, psychedelic, world music.

https://www.mixcloud.com/Radio_RapTz/moss-appeal-41-ft-pete-moss/

ty and currently dling.

caligulamprey posted:

The YouTube algorithm doesn't understand what music I like to listen to, but it sure as poo poo knows what album covers to show me:

:swoon:

That is some good stuff. You guys have all enriched my life a little bit in 22 so thank you and happy new year!

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaxBxs9tLWA

That algorithm has been pushing this vid in my face constantly for the past week or so, as I suspect it has for many of you, and i was like goway i don't wanna. I finally relented last night, fully expecting it to be crap. But it was a really nice and well-done video essay by this lady Sofia Caloiero. I went to check her other vids and was shocked to see only three prior vids.

But drat I enjoyed them. This vinyl vid got caught in the yt algorithm, it's crazy the disparity in views between it and her other three, which are short profiles of her family. Here's a link to them. https://youtube.com/@SofiaCaloiero

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I immediately recognized that store as Jerry’s in Pittsburgh. Definitely worth a visit if you’re ever in town, pretty easy to lose track of time in there.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I have a bad premonition that Phil Collins is gonna die very soon, so I'm swooping up as many Genesis albums as I can before he croaks and the price for everything skyrockets.

Coming in the mail next week:

- Trespass (2018 half-speed master [Nick Davis remix])
- Nursery Cryme (2018 half-speed master [Nick Davis remix])
- Foxtrot (2018 half-speed master [Nick Davis remix])
- Selling England By The Pound (EMI 100 Series)
- The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (ATCO SD 2-401)
- Wind & Wuthering (Nippon RJ-7201)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Please don't murder Phil Collins OP

pwn
May 27, 2004

pwn
May 27, 2004

Would any Dylan aficionados in the house kindly chime in. I'm looking for a record of his which, on the back, contains a rambling screed.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

pwn posted:

Would any Dylan aficionados in the house kindly chime in. I'm looking for a record of his which, on the back, contains a rambling screed.

Highway 61 Revisited had one of those stream of consciousness LSD-rear end things which was kind of popular in rock writing at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
got this for :10bux: in great condition

Walter was old enough to have actually known Mahler and iirc conducted the premieres of a few of his later symphonies so him doing Mahler is always worth hearing

it's also one of those really fancy Columbia boxes with the cardboard inner sleeve protectors which i love, I have a copy of Wozzeck with those too

Only registered members can see post attachments!