Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Lostconfused posted:

https://twitter.com/TUmarov/status/1607490764120166400

I kind of skipped over the sports chat honestly.

I found this from the thread (still don't understand how to read a twitter thread)
https://twitter.com/TUmarov/status/1587052974219710466?s=20

WTF, why is EU sanctioning Russia on breast pumps. Do Russians use fancy European breast pumps to make guided missiles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

we must ban the export of singing birthday cards to Russia to prevent them from going to the moon

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

I found this from the thread (still don't understand how to read a twitter thread)

WTF, why is EU sanctioning Russia on breast pumps. Do Russians use fancy European breast pumps to make guided missiles?

if we cant have russian mommy milkers noone can!!!

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

amused by this comment

Happy Maomas to you and yours

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

I hate when people write it like that -- it should be 2022H1 so it can be sorted neatly

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Spergin Morlock posted:

we must ban the export of singing birthday cards to Russia to prevent them from going to the moon

We must bridge the breast pump gap

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/againstjapanism/status/1607194151766089729
https://twitter.com/againstjapanism/status/1607197089582444546
https://twitter.com/againstjapanism/status/1607416309184139271
https://twitter.com/againstjapanism/status/1607566351761031170

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Is Utada Hikaru still a thing

I remember she was big like 30 years ago

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

Genuinely like 98% of people would love this because the memory cartel has been keeping ram prices artificially high for years now

please, chairman xi,

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Throatwarbler posted:

Her recent album sold pretty well, especially considering she's like 110 in idol years

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Throatwarbler posted:

hot take: her only tolerable song an u2 cover lmfao

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

it's going to be hilarious when china starts mass exporting their own chips and instantly drives everyone else out of business

Grapplejack posted:

Genuinely like 98% of people would love this because the memory cartel has been keeping ram prices artificially high for years now

you all know that the west always goes full protectionism as soon as china beats them at their own game

guess it will be nice for people in countries that aren't us vassals though

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Truga posted:

Her new song for evangelion was ok imo.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cerebral Bore posted:

you all know that the west always goes full protectionism as soon as china beats them at their own game

guess it will be nice for people in countries that aren't us vassals though

my parents had to smuggle a C64 from germany because buying a personal computer wasn't allowed in yugoslavia

gonna be insanely funny when europeans are smuggling chinese SSDs from serbia lmao

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Lostconfused posted:

Her new song for evangelion was ok imo.

yeah I really liked it as someone that hasn't listened to jpop in 20 years or whenever it was.

also she's non-binary now but uses both she/her and they/them

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uhh62MUEic

crepeface has issued a correction as of 09:07 on Dec 27, 2022

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
don't think anyone watches japanese shows.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Truga posted:

my parents had to smuggle a C64 from germany because buying a personal computer wasn't allowed in yugoslavia

gonna be insanely funny when europeans are smuggling chinese SSDs from serbia lmao

thinking of that scene in kundun where the dala llama is stoked by a melieres film which is kind of the 2022 equivalent of losing your poo poo at a super nintendo

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Truga posted:

My only knowledge of their catalogue is all variations of Simple & Clean that featured in Kingdom Hearts, and the chorus from Easy Breezy, so as far as I'm concerned Hikaru Utada only records bangers.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'll be real, i haven't heard a hikaru song probably since 2001 lol, maybe she's good now

Tankbuster posted:

don't think anyone watches japanese shows.

i saw the entire GTO and nodame live action shows with spanish subtitles on youtube like 10 years ago, they were great and i even learned a little bit of spanish :v:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

bilibili has lots of interesting anime in japanese for free but i dont know if its worthwhile to try to watch it with my remedial knowledge of chinese especially when its the sounds thats the much bigger problem than the characters

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

its interesting how a lot of the anime on bilibili isnt available legally in english just because its obscure or the rights have lapsed and no one knows who owns them anymore why its almost as if the availability of media is largely due to the efforts of distributors and marketing and with the sheer quantity of content available in the world today and the ease of piracy its misleading and possibly disingenuous to act as if government censors in any country play a meaningful role in restricting content

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
shady russian websites are where the international working class gathers to watch the latest shonen animoos.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://www.reuters.com/markets/currencies/yuans-new-dollar-russia-rides-redback-2022-11-28/

quote:

"What happened was that it became suddenly very risky and expensive to keep traditional currencies - dollar, euro, British pounds," said Andrei Akopian, managing director of Moscow-based investment firm Caderus Capital, citing the potential danger of a bank that keeps foreign currency deposits being sanctioned.

Indeed, yuan-rouble trading totalled 185 billion yuan in October, more than 80 times the level seen in February when Russia launched what it refers to as a "special military operation" in Ukraine near the end of the month, according to exchange data.

The surge of interest has seen the yuan's share of the currency market jump to 40-45% from less than 1% at the start of the year, said Dmitry Piskulov, international projects head at the Moscow Exchange's foreign-exchange market department.

By comparison, the dollar/rouble pair, which commanded more than 80% of trading volumes on the Russian market in January, has seen its share drop to about 40% as of October, according to exchange data and the central bank.

what if we try another round of sanctions

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
So what you're saying is that one of the world's major energy producers now uses yuan as much as it does dollars whereas 10 months ago the yuan was negligble.

I'm sure that's not important.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

china thinks theyve won oh theyve won all right theyve won more than they bargained for

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://twitter.com/DanielDumbrill/status/1607696011207794688?s=20

Friggin huge

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

stephenthinkpad posted:

All of the US sports are designed for max television ads breaks.

I have nothing to add to this sports conversation. I used to follow a lot of baseball. One day I just stopped caring all sports.

They time shift the Olympic broadcasts even when they’ve been in America just so they can run ads against it during prime time instead of at one in the afternoon! Back when F1 was on NBCSN they would just cut to commercial during a race and you would miss whatever happened during that time. Televised sports in America exists solely to run ads; even making money is secondary.

Some Guy TT posted:

its interesting how a lot of the anime on bilibili isnt available legally in english just because its obscure or the rights have lapsed and no one knows who owns them anymore why its almost as if the availability of media is largely due to the efforts of distributors and marketing and with the sheer quantity of content available in the world today and the ease of piracy its misleading and possibly disingenuous to act as if government censors in any country play a meaningful role in restricting content
Relatedly, I’ve been running into the exact problem region locking was supposed to “solve” (keep people from importing cheaper copies). Unless you are buying the latest Disney movie right after release, it is not unlikely to be sold a region locked movie when buying online. People literally importing cheap movies from abroad and fraudulently selling them as a disc from your region!

Did anything ever happen with the moves North and South Korea were making towards potential unification when Trump tried to waddle in?

Pulcinella has issued a correction as of 17:53 on Dec 27, 2022

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Spergin Morlock posted:

lmao

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Whatever happened to the US/Europe attempting to put a price cap on buying Russian oil? It's probably going great right?

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/putin-bans-russian-oil-exports-countries-that-imposed-price-cap-decree-2022-12-27/

quote:

MOSCOW, Dec 27 (Reuters) - President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday delivered Russia's long-awaited response to a Western price cap, signing a decree that bans the supply of crude oil and oil products from Feb. 1 for five months to nations that abide by the cap.

Oh...

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
not to worry, i'm sure that third-world countries will follow the diktats of the west and dutifully wreck their economies to appease a dying empire

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Pulcinella posted:

Did anything ever happen with the moves North and South Korea were making towards potential unification when Trump tried to waddle in?

i dunno anything about reunification but there were at one point talks of officially ending hostilities and it seemed hopeful at the time (korean heads of state meeting in-person for the first time in 11 years, token gestures) and then trump just got bored and the rest of the state dept wasn't interested in following up and it just fizzled out

what it did show was libs were dead set against the idea of peace on the peninsula and were braying for blood on a daily basis

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Trump's negotiation strategy was insane. They basically demanded that the DPRK dismantle entirely their nuclear arsenal in exchange for normalising relations and negotiating a formal end to the Korean war. Obviously this was going to go nowhere.

Oh well, at least we had a few years where the US/SK didn't have massive wargame exercises where they simulate an invasion of the North. Tensions were relatively low while that lasted. Of course, the status quo has returned now

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Red and Black posted:

Trump's negotiation strategy was insane. They basically demanded that the DPRK dismantle entirely their nuclear arsenal in exchange for normalising relations and negotiating a formal end to the Korean war. Obviously this was going to go nowhere.

its worth noting that as unsuccessful as trumps negotiating strategy was he was at least making a sincere effort and we would have had a third round of talks by now if hed won reelection

the main takeaway from that whole experience is that for all moons talk of a new era in interkorean relations the reality is that south korean liberals are unwilling to do any meaningful deescalatory policy change without our explicit permission and are incapable of understanding that were bloodthirsty psychos who will never ever make peace with our enemies for fear of looking weak

like they actually stonewalled on doing a third summit in 2020 because they thought theyd be in a better position if biden won thats how absurdly ignorant they are about american politics and yoons north korea policy in theory isnt that different from moons it just hinges on the united states doing stuff it will never ever do

everything about south korea is so goddamn depressing these days i still remember going there ten years ago when you could put plot points about the country technically being a united nations protectorate in movies and poo poo and now everyones just a bitchmade dweeb who can only conceive of a better world by doing crypto speculation

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

hey im reading elsewhere in the forums about some guy who was forced to dress as a clown and not allowed to use trains because he kept beating up martial artists and that lowered his social credit score can someone like give me reliable information on this incident because these details arent super conductive for running internet searches since theyre somehow having this conversation without ever mentioning his name

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Some Guy TT posted:

hey im reading elsewhere in the forums about some guy who was forced to dress as a clown and not allowed to use trains because he kept beating up martial artists and that lowered his social credit score can someone like give me reliable information on this incident because these details arent super conductive for running internet searches since theyre somehow having this conversation without ever mentioning his name

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xu_Xiaodong

Don't know about the dressing up as a clown part but he's generally a bit of a clown.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xu_Xiaodong

Don't know about the dressing up as a clown part but he's generally a bit of a clown.

interesting that none of the articles sourced here are willing to repeat whatever it was that he said that caused him to lose a court case for slander and endure travel restrictions something which seems kind of relevant to the question of whether he was unjustly punished given that we also have slander laws and travel restrictions after conviction in the united states

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I don't think there are "travel restrictions“ in the sense that he can't go places, obviously he still managed to go to that match or whatever, rather it's one of the few civil remedies that the courts (in this case slander or defamation would be a civil suit not criminal) have to enforce judgements. Specifically it applies to buying tickets for high speed rail, airlines, and tuition for private schools. The point is not to restrict the person's travel since you can still buy regular train tickets but to restrict his access to luxury items to encourage him to pay his judgement.

For those of you following at home this is the kernel of truth behind China's "social credit panopticon". There is no personal bankruptcy in China (actually not an uncommon thing in most countries) and courts don't really have many ways to enforce civil judgements for money, so the best they can do is slap on these sort of weird restrictions. Most regular people have never gone deep into unsecured debt or otherwise been the recipient of a court judgement for damages have no idea it exists.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

this is also why tankies like us always respond with whataboutisms because pretty much all the bad things the social credit panopticon has ever been accused of doing or even accused of hypothetically doing in a future authoritarian hellscape are things the american court systems are already doing under different mechanisms usually in more extreme ways as anyone whos ever been on parole can tell you

like the only exception to this i can think of is that you can be punished for making bad posts on social media but given that american liberals constantly complain about how the governments not doing enough to punish people for making bad posts on social media im not totally sure what platonic ideal theyre aiming for here

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

this is also why tankies like us always respond with whataboutisms because pretty much all the bad things the social credit panopticon has ever been accused of doing or even accused of hypothetically doing in a future authoritarian hellscape are things the american court systems are already doing under different mechanisms usually in more extreme ways as anyone whos ever been on parole can tell you

like the only exception to this i can think of is that you can be punished for making bad posts on social media but given that american liberals constantly complain about how the governments not doing enough to punish people for making bad posts on social media im not totally sure what platonic ideal theyre aiming for here

... but what if they applied those restrictions TO YOU?

The American courts and companies will not do that to me because I didn't do anything wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Red and Black posted:

Whatever happened to the US/Europe attempting to put a price cap on buying Russian oil? It's probably going great right?

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/putin-bans-russian-oil-exports-countries-that-imposed-price-cap-decree-2022-12-27/

Oh...

lmao.

afaik the EU was still buying LNG from russia too, i'm assuming that's covered by this ban