Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Mongolia is in progress of transitioning as well, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

OddObserver posted:

Mongolia is in progress of transitioning as well, I think.

Guess Glinner won't be going there then

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
If you want someone to talk to about military capabilities of a country, Internal Affairs is not really the department you're looking for. You want defence or foreign affairs.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Tevery Best posted:

If you want someone to talk to about military capabilities of a country, Internal Affairs is not really the department you're looking for. You want defence or foreign affairs.

Yeah I was gonna say, isn't Internal Affairs basically "the police and courts"? It'd be sorta like asking a FBI consultant to talk about the latest Air Force fighter jets.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Tomn posted:

Yeah I was gonna say, isn't Internal Affairs basically "the police and courts"? It'd be sorta like asking a FBI consultant to talk about the latest Air Force fighter jets.

That'll get you 40 in Florence

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Just Another Lurker posted:

That would be a large cultural change for sure, would Turkey be the last big country to change their alphabet?

On the other hand they have as much right to Cyrillic as russia does, if not more.

edit; forgot Kazakhstan :kiddo:

Yeah, Ukraine doesn't write in the Cyrillic alphabet because it was forced on them by Soviet authorities for almost no jusitifable reason whatsoever like in Kazakhstan. There are valid historical and cultural reasons to drop it in Kazakhsta, there aren't really in Ukraine, the move to adopt a Latin script in Kazakhstan has nothing to do with this war.

e: BTW Cyrillic script for Kazakh, Moldovan, Mongolian (worth mentioning that Mongolia for much of the 20th century was essentially a Soviet puppet state) and many other non-Slavic languages within the former Soviet Union was adopted after Turkey changed their script from the Ottoman Turkish (based on Arabic) to the modern Turkish one.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 27, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kchama posted:

I'd be pretty shocked if there are many non-military folk on a military airbase. This wasn't a random civilian airport, but the military airbase that they've been launching missiles from at Ukraine's civilians.

If any place was a valid target to hit, it'd be Engels-2.

I’m not sure anyone can seriously argue that a military base is not a military target so I’d just assume they’re taking the piss.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1607510747491213320

:toot:
That would sever the T-1303 link to Svatove if true.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1607510747491213320

:toot:
That would sever the T-1303 link to Svatove if true.

Does that mean the Russians have to evacuate to avoid encirclement?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Just Another Lurker posted:

That would be a large cultural change for sure, would Turkey be the last big country to change their alphabet?

On the other hand they have as much right to Cyrillic as russia does, if not more.

edit; forgot Kazakhstan :kiddo:

Montenegro is not a "big country" but they switched from Cyrillic to Latin around 14 years ago after declaring independence from Serbia. Pretty much everything printed since 2010 in Montenegro is in Latin lettering, although you’ll very occasionally see some old signage in Cyrillic.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
One of the great ironies of all this is that it’s only served to drive what’s left of Russian culture into further decline. If you remove all of the death, destruction and injustice from the illegal invasion, it’s almost sad that the backlash from all of this will only accelerate the decline of Russian and Cyrillic.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Is there any general pattern or trend for the things russia comes up with to say that any counterattack on them is illegitimate, or do they just kind of come up with a new rule to call foul on every time they get struck? I just wondered if we're into this long enough to have a definitive trend line

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Russia is the Calvinball army but everyone is playing by their own rules not theirs. So it is by NATO’s hand they haven’t been regime changed yet

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1607568234873556992
loving clown. Russia has been losing to Ukraine over and over

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Willo567 posted:

Lmao, an ultimatum?? "Or its army would decide the issue" I can't stop laughing

the army has been trying and failing to decide the issue since february, oh my god

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Is Ukraine taking back Crimea?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Big "you and what army?" energy here.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Medvedev has identified the only remaining path to Russian victory, all that is needed is for Europe and America to start waging war on each other.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Another one. But this sounds like it might be a suicide? Two days before one of his travelling companions was found dead after a bout of drinking.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mbk_center/status/1607459226972196864

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kchama posted:

I'd be pretty shocked if there are many non-military folk on a military airbase. This wasn't a random civilian airport, but the military airbase that they've been launching missiles from at Ukraine's civilians.

If any place was a valid target to hit, it'd be Engels-2.

I can't speak for Russian airbases but there's always civilians living and working at American ones. You have family members/dependents of military personnel, civilian contractors employed at on-base shops and restaurants, other contractors working on aircraft or whatever, and others.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I can't speak for Russian airbases but there's always civilians living and working at American ones. You have family members/dependents of military personnel, civilian contractors employed at on-base shops and restaurants, other contractors working on aircraft or whatever, and others.

As far as I know it's not nearly as much of a thing on Russian bases.

But there still wouldn't be that many, especially not hanging out with the pilots in their barracks.

My point about it being a very valid place to hit still holds either way.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I'm very much curious about the supposed movement of more Tupos to other bases.

Willo567 posted:

....our army has decided you are to get Moscow

Nenonen posted:

Another one. But this sounds like it might be a suicide? Two days before one of his travelling companions was found dead after a bout of drinking.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mbk_center/status/1607459226972196864

and if this is starting to sound like deja vu to anyone here is why
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Russian_businessmen_mystery_deaths

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Dec 27, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Sekenr posted:

I think Kazakhstan decided to go there even before the war, Ukraine will probably manage within 3-5 years IMO. I hope for Belarus too.

We went to Kazakhstan earlier this month. There's even signs on the border, in homegrown latin script not the official version, saying things like "lmao can u read this russian fucker? thought not, stay home dumbass."

Kazakhstanis feel they are next and imo they have good reasons to believe they would be next, as opposed to your Finlands and your Baltics and such. They absolutely would be next if the three day operation was.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Willo567 posted:

The real clowns are the Western journalists who broadcast Putin's statement yesterday.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kchama posted:

As far as I know it's not nearly as much of a thing on Russian bases.

But there still wouldn't be that many, especially not hanging out with the pilots in their barracks.

My point about it being a very valid place to hit still holds either way.

Well, yeah, I agree totally it's a valid target. Hopefully it was pilots or aircraft ground crew that got got, not the janitorial staff.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Well, yeah, I agree totally it's a valid target. Hopefully it was pilots or aircraft ground crew that got got, not the janitorial staff.

I'd certainly prefer the ground crew and pilots to be those in the casualties, but even civilian staff at an airbase are still fulfilling a military function

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

There’s no point in analysing something we have no details and plenty of scenarios for, move on.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

There’s no point in analysing something we have no details and plenty of scenarios for, move on.

Have photos come out yet? I can’t remember how long until we saw satellite photos after the first attack.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ought ten posted:

Have photos come out yet? I can’t remember how long until we saw satellite photos after the first attack.

Not that I know of. On that note, however, I glossed over the RUMoD statement on the matter, and they explicitly specify soldier casualties.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Somebody started backtracking when
people started making fun of Medvedev's prediction tweets....
https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1607581682680446976?t=ltHbwY3_USd4PCHuZKHing&s=19

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I always wondered what the Russians offered these wealthy westerners for their unwavering support. I know it's not money. It's probably the single least unpopular view to hold at the time, so it's not fame or glory.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

"we'll be your friend"

"I...I don't any friends"

Young Freud posted:

https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1607581682680446976?t=ltHbwY3_USd4PCHuZKHing&s=19

it's funny how he keeps playing to the Russians now though Starlink still supposedly works in Ukraine (albeit at a premium).

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Feliday Melody posted:

I always wondered what the Russians offered these wealthy westerners for their unwavering support. I know it's not money. It's probably the single least unpopular view to hold at the time, so it's not fame or glory.

Nothing, they're just ideologically aligned

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

Young Freud posted:

I hate both, but Medvedev is clearly sarcastically shitposting & Elon recognized that.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Some of you may know a Russian YouTuber who goes by the moniker "The Russian Dude". Apparently he successfully managed to find a permanent residence and work permit abroad, and is now known as "The Canadian Dude". He's really just a news aggregator, but I appreciate that he is a Russian reporting on this war openly with a clear pro-Ukrainian perspective. Not only can he actually pronounce the place names correctly, it's also great to see someone put (yet another) a face on the Russians who do not support this war, and he adds some insight into the aggregation.

He tends to be on the more optimistic end of the spectrum, but he does qualify when reports are not fully substantiated. His last report:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI_DnLhOD_c

And I just wanted to add to the choir and express my appreciation for the moderation and update link spam posts. I also think it would be helpful with a bit more self-censure from posters on whether it's really adding value to go over the currently trending hyperbolic statement some Russian propagandist or fringe politician spewed out. Russian media has been full of insane takes for months now, so debating those will just gunk up the thread. There's plenty of that kind of content from actual high-ranking government officials to almost drown out actual news. Mocking absurd propaganda and alcohol-fueled ex-Presidential rants suits the GBS thread better, in my opinion.

In other news, Russia allegedly plans to hold elections in occupied areas in Autumn 2023. Laughable as it may be to be planning elections in territory currently being fought over, I do think such sham democracy condemned much more harshly (eg the annexations). Even if they are obviously staged - they do actually slowly build legitimacy, especially among 'both-sides' media and unaligned countries. Media have been very hesitant to call out such acts as staged/faked, due to lack of hard evidence and first-hand reports - which means that the news cycle even in very pro-Ukraine countries will be full of 'Russia holds elections, claims result is X, Ukraine denounces this as fake'.

Whatever incompetence Russia is showing in military matters, they're still doing a pretty strong job in the information war arena, and constantly providing material for pro-Russia and 'peace at any cost' supporters. The allies of Ukraine should be much more proactive in countering these claims, and actively providing media with clear evidence that the polls/elections are faked. After this war I believe there is a need for further international treaties on the illegitimacy of holding referendums and elections in occupied territories.

https://english.nv.ua/nation/russia-plans-elections-in-occupied-territory-in-september-2023-in-ukraine-news-50293446.html

Capri Sunrise posted:

I hate both, but Medvedev is clearly sarcastically shitposting & Elon recognized that.

The west allowing the likes of Medvedev to use western social media platforms for propaganda is part of why Russia is able to do so well in the information war. This is a person who make nuclear threats on a regular basis and is much more openly hostile and jingoist than other Russian government officials. I am surprised the US government is allowing this.

PederP fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 27, 2022

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Capri Sunrise posted:

What in anything Medvedev has done lately gives you this impression

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Capri Sunrise posted:

Are the slurs sarcasm, too?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

PederP posted:

Some of you may know a Russian YouTuber who goes by the moniker "The Russian Dude". Apparently he successfully managed to find a permanent residence and work permit abroad, and is now known as "The Canadian Dude". He's really just a news aggregator, but I appreciate that he is a Russian reporting on this war openly with a clear pro-Ukrainian perspective. Not only can he actually pronounce the place names correctly, it's also great to see someone put (yet another) a face on the Russians who do not support this war, and he adds some insight into the aggregation.

He tends to be on the more optimistic end of the spectrum, but he does qualify when reports are not fully substantiated. His last report:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI_DnLhOD_c

Watched him a few times.

Neither him nor his (non russian) wife were able to get residence in USA but they got into Canada (think he has a Degree in finance or some such).

He hopes for the best and he's a lot luckier than the people he went to school with for sure.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

PederP posted:

Some of you may know a Russian YouTuber who goes by the moniker "The Russian Dude".

Unless I'm mixing him up with another Russian youtuber who moved abroad, I think this guy also got his mobilization papers served despite living in Canada for close to 5 years or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

Alan Smithee posted:

What in anything Medvedev has done lately gives you this impression

Sardonic shitposting has been his thing for a while - if you believe he's genuinely making those predictions and not making a very ham-fisted attempt to contrast the ridiculousness of those claims with those saying Russia is losing the war then I'm not sure what to say. His first post even says:

Medvedev posted:

Many come up with futuristic hypotheses, as if competing to single out the wildest, and even the most absurd ones.

Here’s our humble contribution.