Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Which one is Raising the Dead? Is that the assault on the drone hordes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think it's the Atlas 2 one

All the mechs in BTA have engine XLs lmao. I beat it in one go but one more hit would have lost me the game

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 13, 2022

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

RBA Starblade posted:

I think it's the Atlas 2 one

All the mechs in BTA have engine XLs lmao. I beat it in one go but one more hit would have lost me the game

Either way it was part of the castle mission. I didn't have a problem with that one at all. The mission that broke me was (I think) the followup where you have to go rescue lord whatshisname and get his blackmail data. Took me six tries to get Kamala to survive that stupid mission, and then the final time when I actually "won", as soon as I killed the final unit on the field the mission ended instantly. I hadn't gone to pick up the data yet, and still had 3 turns of time left, but because "all enemy units defeated" was the "exit mission" condition, I failed the objective

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Yeah, doing that mission in Roger Tech I just ended up jumpjetting her up the cliff face to run back and forth out of LoS to get max evasion and draw fire.

Just did Four Years Later last week, which was a ridiculous cakewalk due to using 4 Phoenix Hawk LAMs and all-10s pilots. Still loitering at whichever Solaris 7 gameworld it popped on, grinding some cash and getting pain shunts and neural implants stuffed into 3/4th of my roster. (Want to see how disgusting my PHawks get with Enhanced Imaging - 11 evasion now, should get some more when fully wired.)

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
Loaded up new BTA. Immediately had several of the same hang - invalid melee hang, battle armor swarm hang, and just loading a map hang.

Just nope. I cant commit to another 200hr run like this again; having to replay every third map because of a hang

You’d think with so much content they could do something about this by now. But now, let’s just shot out another re-skinned centurions.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So far no issues except one base defense crash I wasn't pleased with

Could've had two more mechs cheap as free

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Meanwhile I just started a campaign on BEX. I really like the time advancement gimmick. Started 3049, am going to try and get to the clan invasion.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
The real bullshit BTA mission is the one where seven APCs rush a base and if one of them gets to the cap point you lose

ha ha, they all have eight pips of evasion! ha ha, they all get there in two turns! ha ha, vehicles in BTA are tougher than those in vanilla! ha ha, we didn't take any of this into account so the mission is impossible! ha ha!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pattonesque posted:

The real bullshit BTA mission is the one where seven APCs rush a base and if one of them gets to the cap point you lose

ha ha, they all have eight pips of evasion! ha ha, they all get there in two turns! ha ha, vehicles in BTA are tougher than those in vanilla! ha ha, we didn't take any of this into account so the mission is impossible! ha ha!

My solution to most of the bullshit vehicle missions was lots and lots and lots of mines. That entire map was blinking red triangles by the time my stalker finished with it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Just step on em, you need so many to leave to lose, one leaving is an (in BTA) totally impossible objective

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Oh hey, 8x8 offseason Solaris fight, half-orange skull, why not? (After just mauling two three-orange-skull (difficulty 16) 4x4 fights with 3 green skulls (difficulty 6) of iron.

Urband. *Small* map. One lance was an upgraded Marshal and a couple fairly stock Battlemasters, and something either trapper or so slow it never got into sensors range.

Other lance? Khephera (HAG30, IIRC and some other nastiness). RISC King Crab with dual RISC RAC5s and more. And a couple RISC Dreadnoughts (Stone Rhinos), with more RISC AC5s, Hardened Ferro-Fibrous (inbuilt Harjel repair).

And a Spinal-Mount Heavy Gauss Rifle for 160+ damage per hit. (160 was taken braced in cover.)

If I hadn't played five missions in a row, I probably would have been mutilated badly... but CTD saved the day.

If I could have focused on one (Dreadnought/King Crab) at a time, I could have targeted side torso for engine kills, but not with two of the three big fuckers getting LoS at once. And the Khepera just lurking and waiting for a de-armored spot...

Making a bunch of money doing the S7 fights, which is mostly getting used for Neat poo poo in the store, plus Pain Shunts and Neural Implants, and the $10+ million monthly payroll.

But still, Necromo calls, as I need more zombie bits.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
8-on-8 urban Solaris fight, cool.

Smaller map, that's OK.

Lance 1 is an Archer, 2 Griffins and an Orion "Protector", fine.

Lance 2, which decides to rush down the main street on one side of the map?

Just a Gauss NightStar.

And three Marauder II RX RISC toys. 2x Snub PPC, 1x RAC20 RISC, ow ow ow gently caress ow.

I did with, with only one injury, two mechs with exposed structure, one with a through-armor Gauss crit to the engine, and having dropped six buildings because the Griffins and Mad IIs loved jumping on top.

Seeing more of those II RXs, it can't have anything to do with me running difficulty 16 battles with difficulty 6 (4-on-4 or 4-on-4-on-4 Free For Alls) or 11 (8-on-8), right?

Still faffing about on whichever Solaris 7 gameworld this is, raking in $4-5 mil per fight, and pissing it away on melee weapons, occasionally a ranged weapon or ammo, and getting all the pilots I want to keep hardwired. (Neural Implants and Pain Shunts.)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The new BTA patch is pretty buggy as a headsup - frequent crashes and battle armor attacks never resolve, softlocking you.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Cyrano4747 posted:

Meanwhile I just started a campaign on BEX. I really like the time advancement gimmick. Started 3049, am going to try and get to the clan invasion.

Clanners arrive in like august so that’s probably not a problem. I usually start in 3047 to give myself a little ramp up.

I tried out the default Bigger Drops patches for BEX and it’s an absolute slog. By default it turns on a bunch of Mission Control stuff and I hate all of it. Random spawn locations? Ok great I start seven turns of full sprinting away from a base I’m supposed to destroy while my allied light lance dukes it out slowly with turrets and an enemy light lance. Or starting in a city already flanked by two lances of lighter mechs do they get free rear arc shots.

So, basically my conclusion is turn off every part of Mission Control.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Deuce posted:

Clanners arrive in like august so that’s probably not a problem. I usually start in 3047 to give myself a little ramp up.

I tried out the default Bigger Drops patches for BEX and it’s an absolute slog. By default it turns on a bunch of Mission Control stuff and I hate all of it. Random spawn locations? Ok great I start seven turns of full sprinting away from a base I’m supposed to destroy while my allied light lance dukes it out slowly with turrets and an enemy light lance. Or starting in a city already flanked by two lances of lighter mechs do they get free rear arc shots.

So, basically my conclusion is turn off every part of Mission Control.

Random spawns pairs well with manual drops, at least in RogueTech. It only gets really bastardy if it's a tiny map (mine is set to max 200% playable map size, but it doesn't always use it all), and Base Defense. In RT, the initial drop info will show where the main enemy force is spawning, and any known secondary drops. (3-way Solaris fights, mostly.) With Manual Drops, I can pick anywhere on the map that's within the map borders and 400 meters or more from an enemy spawn - this can be used for pre-drop recon, figuring out there's gonna be enemies in a general area.

Drop in close to sprint in and blast/melee everyone, or further out to let opfor straggle towards you while sniping them/spreading mines in their path/giving the gift of fire from Inferno artillery.

Dunno if BEX's version changes all this, but it's wonderful to do the smart thing and drop on top of the mountain and let the annoying melee fast-movers get wrecked from above.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

RBA Starblade posted:

Just step on em, you need so many to leave to lose, one leaving is an (in BTA) totally impossible objective

no no this is the one in which they rush a cap point and there's like eight of them with 7 EV each and they get to the point in two turns so if you miss even once you're hosed and you lose

not even melee is guaranteed to hit or one-shot

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Search and Rescue missions for ejected pilots in BTA are neat, but don't play them - they're always a trap to kill your camapign. They spawn double the mechs you bring, encircling you, on raised terrain every time. You won't win without losing more mechs and pilots than the ejected one.

The first one had two thumpers, gauss rifles, and twelve mechs to my five. That wasn't even counting the reinforcements that'd show up.

e: Also just never hit eject, sometimes the mech just stays around anyway. This patch really broke the game in a bad way.

The only way I've seen to win this is to bring a 12 movement vehicle, hope it doesn't get shot, and leave in two turns. Also hope it doesn't panic, auto-eject (this still works lol), and auto-lose for being the only one around and in a circle of eight mechs minimum (usually twelve)

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 25, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Has anyone playing MW5 recently (I got it on Steam as a gift for co-oping) noticed the difficulty spiked way higher than vanilla? I can't beat campaign mission 2 now - fighting waves of six to ten scorpions and SRM20 carriers, eight times with one javalin just isn't tenable. And in the rare times I pull it off, the last wave of VTOLs and Igor instant kill me with a headshot. I've got max armor and as much as possible in the front, but wasn't this like a third this much poo poo at launch? You can take two hits from a srm carrier at max hp before your armor shreds, then you're screwed

After two hours of failing I finally got it when the AI bugged out and simply didn't shoot me. What the hell

E: oh for fucks sake the mechlab mod adds damage scaling for no reason

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 27, 2022

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Yeah I set all those fuckers to deal less damage and receive extra damage. Not interested in dueling fifty tractors with flashlights just bc the devs couldn't figure out how to scale procgen level difficulty.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

MW5 can be really fun but you need to mod it pretty heavily. I’m not talking sit like clan weapons (although if you want to go hog wild) I’m talking poo poo like the better spawns mod and a few AI ones.

I can make a list in a few days when I get home.l, but if you just sort by popularity on nexus you’ll get most of the biggies.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've played it before and got things going, I just didn't realize that mod updated to be a poo poo about things lol

No wonder we kept wiping out in co-op career mode with Commandos

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Cyrano4747 posted:

MW5 can be really fun but you need to mod it pretty heavily. I’m not talking sit like clan weapons (although if you want to go hog wild) I’m talking poo poo like the better spawns mod and a few AI ones.

I can make a list in a few days when I get home.l, but if you just sort by popularity on nexus you’ll get most of the biggies.

How braindead the AI is, especially at launch but even to this day, cannot be overstated. My first playthrough I got a Royal Highlander super early. After a while, once I got some Heavies, I kept losing the Gauss arm every mission. I started using AC/10s despite having like 2 Gauss Rifles in storage because it was a guaranteed loss every drop. Put one of my lancemates in a Warhammer, HUD scramble let me know he was spending roughly half of every mission unloading PPCs in my back/arm.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah one of the must haves fixes a lot of AI bullshit including that. As a bonus it also helps avoid the nascar circle poo poo.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
So I decided to go for another career run with the newest BEXCE pack. I keep crashing, twice when trying to add/remove components in the mechlab, and twice in-mission. Wouldn't be such a problem but that it's a full system freeze requiring a hard boot to recover.

Somehow all of this is still less frustrating than "Attack and Defend" contracts. :(

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hey if you are still up to posting your mod list I'd love to see it!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TBH I'm having a good time with just a mechlab mod this time around (with all DLC). Though the Mechcommander rts mod still owns

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Just giving everyone a heads up that the fourth season of Rogue Tech Online is looking to be starting soon. (Probably sometime next week)

This season they are doing the Amaris Civil War era for the map and factions, though the details and such on the factions haven't been released yet. (Or how Amaris/SLDF are going to work mechanically)

Should be pretty fun. I'm planning on working to make Kurita actually matter as a faction this season since they and FWL were both essentially free real estate the last 2 seasons due to low player count. (Kurita due to an incident in the original season 2 that resulted in the server getting shut down for several months, and FWL because nobody likes that faction)

If anyone is interested and needs to get vetted on the discord server just shoot me a DM on here and I will vouch for you so that the vetting process is expedited.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
For those playing, following or curious about RogueTech, Blaen has been posting some sneak-peek videos of Mechbay and new mechanics coming in the update - I need to watch the latest one, myself.

Might not update immediately, I really want to finish off some of the stuff I've been doing recently - managed to salvage a nearly-complete RISC Longbow, and have to find another MMS30 and ammo. I have a pilot that's just about right for that, as he's one of the RTO Legends or Devs with special abilities - Jamie, sinks an addition 7 heat, and gifts his targets with 1 point of heat per shot fired. MMS incendiary, and if you use the alternate fire mode, it spams 2 missiles per slot - 2x MMS30 become MMS120, and that's one spicy enemy. :supaburn:

Only thing that sucks is that all the headware is hardwired to the mech, so I can't stuff in Advanced Targeting and a Clustering battle computer. :smith:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Ygolonac posted:

For those playing, following or curious about RogueTech, Blaen has been posting some sneak-peek videos of Mechbay and new mechanics coming in the update - I need to watch the latest one, myself.

Might not update immediately, I really want to finish off some of the stuff I've been doing recently - managed to salvage a nearly-complete RISC Longbow, and have to find another MMS30 and ammo. I have a pilot that's just about right for that, as he's one of the RTO Legends or Devs with special abilities - Jamie, sinks an addition 7 heat, and gifts his targets with 1 point of heat per shot fired. MMS incendiary, and if you use the alternate fire mode, it spams 2 missiles per slot - 2x MMS30 become MMS120, and that's one spicy enemy. :supaburn:

Only thing that sucks is that all the headware is hardwired to the mech, so I can't stuff in Advanced Targeting and a Clustering battle computer. :smith:

drat, that is a spicy combo. You're tempting me to look at the Longbow for once next season.

And I agree, Blaen's videos are fantastic for anyone interested in Rogue Tech.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Finally watched the new LAM mechanics video, and dear god the salt will flow. Might turn one of my speedy PHawk LAMs into a bomb-lobber, with 11-12 evasion I should be able to huck things a looong ways.

Of course, high-evasion VTOLs/LAMs in the hands of the AI will be murderous. Thus the salt.

Wish the pirates would give me missions other than beating up other pirates - I'd pro-bono those to grind rep, I've got cash to last a while. Need better rep to buy pirate poo poo.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Moochewmoo posted:

I'd be interested as well, because I picked up MW5 a few days ago before Steam's Winter Sale ended. Honestly I'm enjoying it a lot so far, but I've no idea how much my overall experience could be improved through mods.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Moochewmoo posted:

This is from a bit ago, but here's what I've got on my list currently:

I can explain anything there if need be, but googling the names should hit on Nexus.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

I can explain anything there if need be, but googling the names should hit on Nexus.

Just wondering, do you happen to have any evaluation regarding the "Yet another" series of mods? They seems to add a ton of customization to mech builds.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I was watching baradul's series on YouTube and the yet another mech lab stuff looked pretty cool, tons of options

Pretty sure he's got a mod list on the workshop that has the set

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Cyrano4747 posted:

For this particular setup, which DLCs do you have? (or do you have all of them)

Alas, I slept and missed the past sale, though.

:(

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Ygolonac posted:

Finally watched the new LAM mechanics video, and dear god the salt will flow. Might turn one of my speedy PHawk LAMs into a bomb-lobber, with 11-12 evasion I should be able to huck things a looong ways.

Of course, high-evasion VTOLs/LAMs in the hands of the AI will be murderous. Thus the salt.

Wish the pirates would give me missions other than beating up other pirates - I'd pro-bono those to grind rep, I've got cash to last a while. Need better rep to buy pirate poo poo.

Yeah the LAM mechanics look sick. Might have to change my tactic of just kitting them out to be dedicated 9/11 melee charge mechs.

Are you intending on playing the online map this season, or are you just going to be playing offline?

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

jadebullet posted:

Yeah the LAM mechanics look sick. Might have to change my tactic of just kitting them out to be dedicated 9/11 melee charge mechs.

Are you intending on playing the online map this season, or are you just going to be playing offline?

I'm likely to stay offline - I'm not that interested in seeing my faction get deleted from the map because hlaf the players decided to go Jun Horde on catgirls or whatever.

For LAMs, I have one melee smasher that I've recently tweaked for DFA fuckery, but I've only got one DFA++ leg part and no self-harm reduction, so it's risky. Built another one out as a speedy/evasive EWAR bird with an Arrow IV tag, it's interesting but suboptimal. The other two are PPC birds - one Clan ERPPC, one Quicsell LBX - and both had Enhanced Imaging to be bastardy with initiative games. (All4 are Phoenix Hawks.)

"Had", because I just got my Screamer last night, and pulled the EI out of the LBX bird fot that. I've got one LAM XL engine (on the ER bird) but if I yoink that I go overweight to the point that I'd have to strip half the gear and still need to downgrade to a large laser or something.

If I could find more advanced LAM parts, that would be awesome... or Derelict, so I can start finding Air Shows.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is it cool if I ask for MW5 mech-building advice here, because there's no thread and I keep getting hung up on decision paralysis?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sure though the answer is usually to give the ai max armor mechs and nothing valuable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Sure though the answer is usually to give the ai max armor mechs and nothing valuable

Don't play MW5 with AI always drop with 4 humans in coop.