Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

GZDoom: Is there a "canonical" mod or TC or something that I should use to test GZDoom instead of vanilla IWADs? Like Arcane Dimensions for Quake? I mean, I know there's hundreds on them but is there any handful that are particularly representative?

My issue with GZDoom is that when I start it up it looks "wrong" right off the bat--the vanilla DOOM assets are all texture filtered and have an uncanny nature to them. I can go turn off all the options to make it actually look vanilla but I should just play Chocolate Doom at that point. So I'm looking for a particularly representative way to get into what GZDoom has really become.

Or is the issue really just that texture filtering is enabled by default?

The issue is really that texture filtering is enabled by default. If you want something to put GZDoom through its paces graphically I’d go for Paradise or something by Bridgeburner like Elementalist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
you could check out the selaco demo

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Arivia posted:

If you want something to put GZDoom through its paces graphically I’d go for Paradise or something by Bridgeburner like Elementalist.
Are these designed for texture filtering on or would you still turn it off?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'd probably keep bilinear filtering off for any Doom content unless it has graphics that are high enough resolution that they're not being massively upscaled. It's up to your taste of course, but when you have textures where meaningful detail is represented on the individual pixel level, bilinear filtering is just going to make it look blurry.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Are these designed for texture filtering on or would you still turn it off?

nothing is made for texture filtering on, why the insistance on this point

no one likes the filtering except for the main dev graf, who refuses to not make it the default. that's the only reason it's on

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I don’t like gzdoom except for things made for it specifically. It looks and feels off.

Come to think of it I don’t care for things made for it either that much. I don’t know why it’s recommended as a source port for Doom beginners so much when it feels so different from how the original games are supposed to feel.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 26, 2022

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

site posted:

no one likes the filtering except for the main dev graf, who refuses to not make it the default. that's the only reason it's on
OK, didn't know that's what happened.

Any other bad GZDoom defaults I should be aware of?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don’t know why it’s recommended as a source port for Doom beginners so much when it feels so different from how the original games are supposed to feel.
I don't know that it really is these days. ZDoom has been around a long time and I've always avoided it. Given the popularity of GZDoom for mods/advanced features though I'm interested in getting familiar with all that.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I'm trying to figure out how you're running out of ammo in Duke 3D. Are you pistol starting each level?

If not you gotta make sure you're using your entire arsenal, not just 1-4, and saving the rest for bosses.

Shrinker is a one shot kill on the Fatboys, One click of the devastator will blow up an octobrain. One or two pipe bombs or RPGs. will take care of most other enemies very quickly. Hell you can even shrink the battlelords in every level past the the one where he's introduced.

It definitely feels like there's a bit less ammo around than in Shadow Warrior or Blood. In SW you can pretty much main the rockets and grenades, and in Blood you get mountains of shells, bullets and dynamite which will handle most things fine. In Duke you gotta use everything all the time because you're never going to have a big stash of basic ammo to fall back on.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

OK, didn't know that's what happened.

Any other bad GZDoom defaults I should be aware of?

It's a bit more subjective than texture filtering but changing the lighting model to "software" makes the shading of the world more authentic to the original game. You can change the Spectre transparency effect to be more like the original renderer also (I think it's called pixel fuzz?).

If you wanna go all the way down that rabbit hole there's adding back color banding too, but that's getting a little silly.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 26, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

HolyKrap posted:

A couple early builds of a sidescroller Duke from 1996 leaked
https://twitter.com/VinciusMedeiro6/status/1607187382335324162

That looks awesome. They should’ve finished it.

How are they doing the pixel shader-looking blur effects?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Tiny Timbs posted:

That looks awesome. They should’ve finished it.

I mean, they kinda did, right? Wasn't Alien Rampage made from the corpse of this version of DNF?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

That was my understanding, but apparently not
https://twitter.com/dosnostalgic/status/1607466136920260608

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Reminder that if you want a 2d sidescrolling duke done in the style of D3D's humor, Manhatten Project is just that and is great fun.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Huh, that's good to know.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tiny Timbs posted:

Anything you can do in a pixel shader (and a lot you can't) you can do on a CPU, just way slower. And a small portion of a 320x240 screen is really not that many pixels

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

John Murdoch posted:

I feel like all of the Build shooters justified their mean levels of incoming damage by including the doctor's bags/portable medkits/whatever so you could heal yourself at will. But I never really liked that approach and I still haven't gotten into any of the retro shooters with inventory fuckery.

Cultic is basically the only retro style game to do that kind of thing in a way that didn't feel clunky, though Cultic is smart enough to keep non weapon items down to a minimum(the medkit, the lighter, the flashlight, and the various physics objects you can pick up and throw around)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

speaking of cultic, i got gifted it the other day and i'm genuinely just really impressed by the game in general. as someone who has beef with some of the design aspects in blood in terms of enemy behavior and how they just copy/paste bosses later as normal enemies it means a lot to me that this game very heavily carries the blood influence on it's sleeve but doesn't have those aspects bringing it down for me. everything feels insanely good to use and i never found any of the weapons to end up obsolete at any point. they all have their uses, which was something i very much enjoyed with dusk as well. i enjoy the niche that the dynamite/molotovs fill in that you're not going to just be bouncing 30 of them around a corner to 'solve' an encounter but they're also fairly powerful tools and you have enough to play with them a bit if you're a little judicious with their use at times and save up your stocks. also the chapel level? absolutely fun as gently caress in how that's executed. i love scenarios like that, and the rest of the levels have great setpieces going on as well.

very much worth the purchase, and i absolutely can't wait for the second half when that releases. the decision to just have a complete first half and complete second half as separate purchases works really well for me. so far, this year has been really good for me in regards to fps games between this and HROT.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Reusing bosses as normal enemies in Blood sucks but that means you should never ever feel bad about crouching and spamming the Voodoo Doll to kill Cheogh. gently caress that guy.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
To be fair other games that "reuse bosses as regular enemies later" include Doom, Duke3d, and yea actually Cultic kinda does it too with the Harvester.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah but Blood's bosses are MUCH bigger damage sponges. They have like 3x as much health as they should.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

Reusing bosses as normal enemies in Blood sucks but that means you should never ever feel bad about crouching and spamming the Voodoo Doll to kill Cheogh. gently caress that guy.

Would be more tolerable if their reuse as regular enemies didn't keep their health and abilities the same as their boss versions

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, lol. i kinda figured that bit was obvious. generally if something is brought back later as a semi-frequent enemy it should be tuned differently in some form and/or the player should be on different terms with it by that point. blood is...really bad about not doing either of those things! and then just throwing multiple at a time at you!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Johnny Joestar posted:

speaking of cultic, i got gifted it the other day and i'm genuinely just really impressed by the game in general. as someone who has beef with some of the design aspects in blood in terms of enemy behavior and how they just copy/paste bosses later as normal enemies it means a lot to me that this game very heavily carries the blood influence on it's sleeve but doesn't have those aspects bringing it down for me. everything feels insanely good to use and i never found any of the weapons to end up obsolete at any point. they all have their uses, which was something i very much enjoyed with dusk as well. i enjoy the niche that the dynamite/molotovs fill in that you're not going to just be bouncing 30 of them around a corner to 'solve' an encounter but they're also fairly powerful tools and you have enough to play with them a bit if you're a little judicious with their use at times and save up your stocks. also the chapel level? absolutely fun as gently caress in how that's executed. i love scenarios like that, and the rest of the levels have great setpieces going on as well.

very much worth the purchase, and i absolutely can't wait for the second half when that releases. the decision to just have a complete first half and complete second half as separate purchases works really well for me. so far, this year has been really good for me in regards to fps games between this and HROT.

I really wanna talk about Cultic again so my favorite part was how good Jason Smith was at horror direction. There's so much creepy poo poo the first time through that you're crawling through the levels almost.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/DanielWienerson/status/1607617747055411205?t=GwYsc-h7oiWUXsiZTsprjQ&s=19

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Milo and POTUS posted:

I really wanna talk about Cultic again so my favorite part was how good Jason Smith was at horror direction. There's so much creepy poo poo the first time through that you're crawling through the levels almost.

there's definitely a nice sense of dread that builds up in a few levels during certain segments. like, you know something is going to happen and you can even sometimes guess at what it might be, but it still manages to catch you off-balance even if you had a hunch beforehand.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I think that was one of the great things about Cultic: it wasn't afraid of slowing things down for a bit and walking that fine line between action and horror without stalling your forward momentum. That early segment where you're running through the dark woods and eventually you're ambushed by Corpses (your first time encountering them, if I remember correctly) is so fantastic--the way the player goes from quietly creeping around the woods just waiting for the other shoe to drop, and when it does it's guns and molotovs and backpedaling chaos.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

All with minimal jump scare bullshit

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
OpenJKDF2 has updated. While Mysteries of the Sith is still unfinished and lacking features, it can now be completed!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Voxel Doom 2 looking crazy good

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Also

https://twitter.com/DanielWienerson/status/1607579779859124225

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

I really dont like how often the spider boss shows up in Cryptic Passage, it always takes ages to kill and half the time I end up accidentally blowing myself to kingdom come by rocketing it at point blank range

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I mostly hate how the odd weapon balance and the spongey nature of bosses makes it boil down to do you have enough Tesla ammo to kill this thing: if yes, it's over in like 10 seconds. If no, you're going to be emptying every weapon into this loving spider for eternity

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I wouldn't mind if Cultic had the option of playing it like a Half-Life, without score tally screens, each level being a new 'chapter'. It almost feels like the halfway point between the old school boom shoot and the Half-Life style journey level design anyway.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Not a FPS but jesus, leaks everywhere

https://twitter.com/tehdrewsus_MK/status/1607622863141453825?t=PJ7TxRPCoTxiNSrxnvBh7g&s=19

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

to win the game you must kill John Romero's dick and balls

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dem dick bones

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 27, 2022

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"
Severed Steel is free today on EGS. Haven't tried it yet but I know it's gotten a few mentions in this thread

https://youtu.be/eOL3KfbiMIE

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Voodoo Cafe posted:

Severed Steel is free today on EGS. Haven't tried it yet but I know it's gotten a few mentions in this thread

It's a fantastic game. FEAR without the horror elements and a banging drum'n'bass soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I've been informed a zillion old games source codes have been leaked on GitHub.

Historical Sources