Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Endman posted:

WW2 getting more and more distorted in the minds of the public in the internet age is slowly driving me completely insane and I hate it

History Channel was doing this to the psyche already, hence why it's a problem with olds as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

There was a brief moment in the 90s when popular history books were being written of the Soviet side of WW2 that weren't complete garbage, but then they wheeled out Antony Beevor to put a stop to that and make sure everyone knew the Soviets killed six billion of their own men for no reason and raped, pillaged and murdered their way across poor Germany very sad Fs in chat

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Endman posted:

WW2 getting more and more distorted in the minds of the public in the internet age is slowly driving me completely insane and I hate it

There’s something uniquely crazy about learning something at an academic level at the same time as it’s being deliberately forgotten in the public mindset

I was thinking about studying the Austro-Hungarian campaign in Galicia for a Masters in War Studies down the road, I'm tempted to just become a Galicia Understander professionally. It would 100% drive me nuts though, and iirc the professor who would be my supervisor was the one who just penned the op ed about altering the Holocaust Memorial to be more about Ukrainians.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Frosted Flake posted:

I was thinking about studying the Austro-Hungarian campaign in Galicia for a Masters in War Studies down the road, I'm tempted to just become a Galicia Understander professionally. It would 100% drive me nuts though, and iirc the professor who would be my supervisor was the one who just penned the op ed about altering the Holocaust Memorial to be more about Ukrainians.

Maybe if you refuse to talk about anything post-1918 he won't notice :v:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Lviv?? Lvov??? I'm talking about Lemberg m8

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Maybe there's a "If I did it" course at the university of Vienna.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frosted Flake posted:

your posts on the fake-rear end country formerly known as galicia have been very interesting and thought provoking but I don’t know if it’s worth your sanity

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

lobotomy molo posted:

your posts on the fake-rear end country formerly known as galicia have been very interesting and thought provoking but I don’t know if it’s worth your sanity

It's real as long as the 14th Division SS Galicina is in our hearts.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Lostconfused posted:

maybe the real 14th SS Division "Galitzien" was the friends we made along the way?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lostconfused posted:

their brutal genocidal occupation of my heart must be stopped

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Every culture has their own way of spelling it, but I think we can all agree that they were true Ukrainian patriots.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

Yeah, they'll probably just memory hole everything

Aren’t you just an elderly pro-Trump guy who used to post dumb racist memes on SA repeatedly?

At least a lot of decent people are angry at libs for leftist reasons and not reactionary reasons.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

Aren’t you just an elderly pro-Trump guy who used to post dumb racist memes on SA repeatedly?

At least a lot of decent people are angry at libs for leftist reasons and not reactionary reasons.

NVM. I take that back.

I love Trump and racism. You got me.

And I am very elderly.

spacetoaster has issued a correction as of 22:58 on Dec 27, 2022

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

No?

I do think Trump is funny though. And libs reactions to him are funny too.

And I am very elderly.

Nah, you’re the old bigot guy I remember.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

Nah, you’re the old bigot guy I remember.

Nobody remembers you at all.

:smuggo:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

DancingShade posted:

The Star League has outlived its purpose and is no more. Time for the succession wars. word of blake jihad

ftfy

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

hitler, to ernst thalman

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

still mad at majorian for explicitly making this thread the war thread when the old thread was explicitly the former soviet bloc megathread i expressed my displeasure by not posting in here an act which im sure brought great pain and suffering to everyone which is why i had to stop

lmao

Just to be clear, you can post about the former USSR in here to your heart's content.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

gently caress!

"Funny, I don't remember you at all."

poo poo. I hosed it up.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

spacetoaster posted:

Everybody knows he's the boring normal army guy instead of the weird catholic army guy

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spacetoaster posted:

conspirationist is just an off-brand low quality FF, and mlp08 is just an off-brand low quality conspirationist

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lobotomy molo posted:

The research on the KuK Armee is not happening in Canada, by and large. You would think as an agent of ethnogenesis there would be more academic interest, particularly about Ruthenian elements and the fighting in Galicia. Obviously there are reasons for that, easy access to primary sources, training in using Hungarian and Austrian state archives, reading in German and Hungarian, I get it. I'd just as happily study the Italian or Serbian campaigns but you run into the same limitations, my own linguistic shortcomings, I can't easily travel to Vienna or Rome, let alone Belgrade. Recent scholarship in English seems to be at Assumption College, University of Birmingham, Cambridge, and I'm in the RMC orbit and (barely) Queen's. I'd be in way over my head.

For example, the leading scholar on Austro-Hungarian artillery is Christian Ortner, General-Director of the Museum and Institute of Military History in Vienna and a Bundesheer Colonel. He wrote the authoritative book on it in English, a doorstopper of ~ 650 pages. I've thought about corresponding or something, but I just don't see how I could get that kind of expertise in Canada. Military history in Canada also seems to be (Dreyland would know better) at Laurier, sometimes at U of T. That still doesn't solve the problem of researching in German or Hungarian.

So, we'll see, I would probably just write a staff study and tie it to Canadian concepts and planning, which is the same thing everyone does with Waterloo and Normandy, I'd just have a novel setting, which would be nice.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 23:30 on Dec 27, 2022

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

pretty sure the west knows all about cuck armies

Endman
May 18, 2010

Surely Waterloo has been relitigated to death at this point

Everyone from the Brits to the Prussians, the Dutch, Belgians and even Napoleon's haemorrhoids have had their turn being the true victors of the battle

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I don't think anything will happen even Ukraine gets annexed entirely.

Everyone will just pivot to Taiwan even harder. Because we must never let this happen again, again.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
All ukraine thread i know instantly which thread im in by whos posting there

unless its an mlmp08 post, then i have to double check the title

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Waterloo is one of those battle that hangs on in Anglo historiography because it flatters their detestable nation. It's all the more insulting that it was a mostly irrelevant engagement, which is true of many other beloved Anglo stories like Agincourt or the Spanish Armada.

Are brave lads held a ridgeline against the shittiest version of Napoleon's army until a boatload of Prussians showed up. This SAVED the CRITICAL nation of Belgium, which was the only country left standing against the French. Russia and Austria? Leipzig? What's that?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

gently caress!

"Funny, I don't remember you at all."

poo poo. I hosed it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlOSdRMSG_k

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

More to the point, as always, it was posted facetiously, and is exaggerated for comedic effect and brevity.

In any case, Excalibur is making up less than 1.4% of contracted US artillery round purchases over the next several years. Most of the rest is unguided artillery.

Excalibur will remain a niche use, considering that GMLRS are being purchased at a rate of about 9-10x more than Excalibur, and GMLRS have better range and kinetic effect, though requiring a different launcher. Given Excalibur unit costs, the DOD is moving toward precision kits that can be slapped onto existing rounds to make them "good enough" precision guided rounds for a lot less money, kind of like JDAM kits versus purpose-built guided munitions.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Endman posted:

Surely Waterloo has been relitigated to death at this point

Everyone from the Brits to the Prussians, the Dutch, Belgians and even Napoleon's haemorrhoids have had their turn being the true victors of the battle

War Studies at RMC, Sandhurst and West Point imo, and similar to the professional Defence Studies degree, is mostly about demonstrating an understanding of tactical, operational and strategic concepts rather than breaking new ground, so the well-worn case studies provide an avenue to do it where everybody grading you knows which flank was important to turn when if that's what you're trying to illustrate. I might be wrong, and "X: A Reappraisal of the Battle/Operation/Campaign" is popular too, but if your thesis is on reverse slope defence, it seems silly to look anywhere but Waterloo if you want to show you understand it backwards and forwards.

This has been criticized since the 1900's, but I get it from an institutional point of view. Weren't those Chinese Imperial examinations exclusively on the Four Books and Five Classics? Same deal, there are canonical battles and campaigns used to demonstrate an understanding of the thought the institution wants to produce.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Waterloo is one of those battle that hangs on in Anglo historiography because it flatters their detestable nation. It's all the more insulting that it was a mostly irrelevant engagement, which is true of many other beloved Anglo stories like Agincourt or the Spanish Armada.

Are brave lads held a ridgeline against the shittiest version of Napoleon's army until a boatload of Prussians showed up. This SAVED the CRITICAL nation of Belgium, which was the only country left standing against the French. Russia and Austria? Leipzig? What's that?

Also this. Every military has their own set, which take on a life of their own. I'm sure every long serving American officer can draw a map of the second day of Gettysburg from memory, for example. The purpose it serves is mostly social and cultural, though there's military value too.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 00:03 on Dec 28, 2022

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

mawarannahr posted:

I hate the Turks and I will hate them as long as I live. They are lower than any dog. Laughably, one would have to use bricks left over from the Byzantines to kill one, because they still have not mastered brick making and the brick would just break on the thick skull. Make this the C-SPAM background.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Повёрнутые на Z войне 🇷🇺 posted:

Guys, this whole week is like a celebration.

After the news, that instead of leather "Bertsi" that have no analogues, the army is getting domestic "Faradays" with membrane, news started coming in, that flight crews, instead of PM or APS (my love), started getting PP-2000, notably this news came from four different units. Mass distribution.
Only Rosgvardia aviation was using them before.

Specifically PP 9x19(a special thank you for this).

Truly, this campaign is reshaping our army, which we've been waiting for for years.
(from t.me/voenacher/36670, via tgsa)

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

spacetoaster posted:

What's going to happen to lib brains when the reality of this war (how it's going to end) actually comes to be?

I'm seeing all these people who 100% believe that Ukraine has just been owning the Russian army over, and over, and over again for months while taking almost no losses whatsoever. And they believe that the Ukrainians are all libs just like them.

Aren't you never supposed to fall for your own propaganda?

i'm not sure why it's a given that russia is going to achieve any kind of result that they can propagandize as a win.

russia lost ukraine in 2014. went from a country on mostly good terms with russia and the closest in terms of language, culture and economic ties to probably generational hatred (outside of donbass and some of the other eastern regions) regardless of whatever the end military result is.

the economic consequences are not "good" for russia, even if it has worse blowback for america's european vassals. putin is too much of an anti-communist to successfully pull off USSR style self sufficiency when cut off from trade from the western bloc.

america won. you gotta hand it to em

mila kunis has issued a correction as of 00:11 on Dec 28, 2022

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Lostconfused posted:

Nice touch putting turks lower than the dogs.

its their natural place

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://twitter.com/j_maestrevidal/status/1607860918217756672

The real winners of the war imo

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Russians post cats, I have no choice but to take their side on this one versus NAFO.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Also this. Every military has their own set, which take on a life of their own. I'm sure every long serving American officer can draw a map of the second day of Gettysburg from memory, for example. The purpose it serves is mostly social and cultural, though there's military value too.

I come from the very normal country of Australia where we can't stop wanking off about Gallipoli, a battle mostly fought by the English, Canadians, Indians and French where we all got merrily slaughtered by the Ottomans!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ughhhh posted:

The aesthetic of these guys is all divorced dad energy. I bet they call themselves warrior scholars.
they're all drinking and the british guy is kinda funny because he sounds like a tipsy bitch at a gay bar. "listen... i'm not trying to undermine the ukrainians' success... it has been really great... i'm just... this is a terrible thing to say on a podcast... darling... i don't know how practical retaking crimea will be."

:tinsley:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

For Russia it has to be Borodino.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mila kunis posted:

i'm not sure why it's a given that russia is going to achieve any kind of result that they can propagandize as a win.

russia lost ukraine in 2014. went from a country on mostly good terms with russia and the closest in terms of language, culture and economic ties to probably generational hatred (outside of donbass and some of the other eastern regions) regardless of whatever the end military result is.

the economic consequences are not "good" for russia, even if it has worse blowback for america's european vassals. putin is too much of an anti-communist to successfully pull off USSR style self sufficiency when cut off from trade from the western bloc.

america won. you gotta hand it to em

Yeah, Russia is screwed. I'm not saying it's going to be some glorious victory.

But Russia is holding the regions they've got and I don't think Ukraine has a chance of getting any of it back.