Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

Hill is a fantastic slow junk guy who I think has really benefited from the whole "just throw your best pitch even if it's not your FB" revolution since his curve is nasty.

Look forward to him just absolutely clowning on Cubs hitting many times next year.

Rich Hill is a national treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
lmao

https://twitter.com/rosenthc/status/1607807873249153027?s=46

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

R.D. Mangles posted:

If Greinke isn't signed Rich Hill will be the last MVP '05 Guy standing.

genuinely surprised Wainwright isn't an MVP '05 guy

Miguel Cabrera isn't retired yet is he?

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Johnny Bravo posted:

genuinely surprised Wainwright isn't an MVP '05 guy

Miguel Cabrera isn't retired yet is he?

Nope, he's got one more year on his deal.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Hey, that doesn't look like a terrible Pirates lineup.

Surely their record has to be decent...

2006 Pittsburgh Pirates Statistics
Record: 67-95-0, Finished 5th in NL_Central (Schedule and Results)

Manager: Jim Tracy (67-95)

Freddy Sanchez, Jason Bay and Ronny Paulino combined for 11.3 WAR. Everybody else? -4.4.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

hell yeah, now that's some remembering some guys

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Jack Wilson has a hideous visage but man could he play short stop

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rangers still out here spending big cash

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1607886627971506176?s=20&t=l0_2VffoCZAl1xiXgtIGEw

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Rangers betting it all at the roulette wheel to win 89 games.

bold strategy.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
I'm genuinely curious where the Rangers rotation ranks now.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
deGrom/Grey/Perez/Eovaldi is at least interesting, if not solid through and through.

Heaney, Odo, Dunning are all big weaknesses though. They’re missing certainty after deGrom for me.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Penisaurus Sex posted:

deGrom/Grey/Perez/Eovaldi is at least interesting, if not solid through and through.

Heaney, Odo, Dunning are all big weaknesses though. They’re missing certainty after deGrom for me.

Don't forget that deGrom is going to be 35 this season and is developing a troublesome injury history, he's far from a sure thing.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Right, but if he’s healthy and on you know he’s good.

I have no idea if Martin Perez is good now. Andrew Heaney probably isn’t but might be? Eovaldi has been up and down even when he’s healthy.

It’s a very risky rotation but if it breaks right it might be right up there with Seattle and Houston.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

What's Odorizzi's role, bullpen inning eater/spot start when you're out of other options?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

What's Odorizzi's role, bullpen inning eater/spot start when you're out of other options?
It looks like he's a long relief/spot starter now yeah.

The Rangers are either going to win 80+ games if they are healthy, or lose 90 games if they're not

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
just wait til the Angels sign Greinke, Kluber and trade for Chris Sale.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
will this be the offseason nobody hears from Greinke and he's nowhere to be found until someone sees him scouting players at a random high school game in May 2023? or mowing the field after the game?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Eovaldi contract is 2 years, $34 mil

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Eovaldi contract is 2 years, $34 mil

That is a surprisingly cheap deal

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1607915814635667458

Texas also gave up a 3rd round pick since he had a QO for whatever that's worth

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/Braves/status/1607936554101506048

They can't keep getting away with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

mcmagic posted:

I guess this is why Braves trades for him in the first place

Conteras wouldn't play ball

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I legitimately forgot we traded for Sean Murphey so I read that and went "wait, we have Contreras, what the hell?"

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Braves acquiring young talent and signing them long term for cheap just seems like a no-brainer I don't understand why other teams aren't doing it. Well except that it costs now money and apparently owners are unable to see beyond the current fiscal year.

They are going to be good for a long time to come.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
New market inefficiency is signing young talented A's players whom having been subjected to the worlds cheapest owner will sign long term extensions for a pittance.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

God i miss AA

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
well now it was worth it

Anthopoulos is some kind of demon

Bowman says this pushes them past the luxury tax threshold but not by enough to matter yet
https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/1607941545029664768?s=20&t=5xUXLDtYI-hjiOXLA4AgKA

elentar fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 28, 2022

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I'm all for Greinke on the Angels, make it happen

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Popete posted:

Braves acquiring young talent and signing them long term for cheap just seems like a no-brainer I don't understand why other teams aren't doing it. Well except that it costs now money and apparently owners are unable to see beyond the current fiscal year.

Astros do it where they can. Altuve, Yordan, Bregman, McCullers are on pretty cheap deals.

Anyone who is unwilling goes to FA and gets paid but somewhere else. Hopefully we can sign Tucker this offseason.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Popete posted:

I mean, other teams are, but it also requires having players who are willing to sign those contracts and quite possibly forgo paydays like the ones handed out this offseason.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Intruder posted:

memes are frowned on so pretend I posted Nathan Explosion saying "brutal"

I was actually rooting for the Rangers to win it that year despite now being in the same division

Rivalries hadn't quite budded yet I guess and didn't until 2016 when there was an actual division race between the two that the Astros fell short in

I just wanted to double back to this and say it's horseshit the Astros are in the same division/league as the Rangers.

I wanted an all Texas world series.:smith:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

His will be done

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Shinjobi posted:

I just wanted to double back to this and say it's horseshit the Astros are in the same division/league as the Rangers.

I don't like it either. I was happy to cheer for the Astros as my NL team before the league tried to create this artificial rivalry.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

howe_sam posted:

I mean, other teams are, but it also requires having players who are willing to sign those contracts and quite possibly forgo paydays like the ones handed out this offseason.

Yeahs. It’s a rub of having a bunch of young guys early enough into their pre arb process that they’ll sign these guaranteed money deals because they’ve never made any decent money. You wait until a player has any leverage to protect themselves and suddenly it gets a lot harder.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mcmagic posted:

The Braves are ridiculously loving stacked and all their guys are locked up for like the next 6-8 years.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Shinjobi posted:

On the other hand, having a team in the division that isn’t a West Coast team is nice. Divisional road games starting at 9 PM suck rear end.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Mr. Fix It posted:

hell yeah, now that's some remembering some guys

Cubs 2022 lineup was actually not far off the 06 lineup if you just look at positions.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
while scrounging for AV cables at my in-laws' house, found a mini baseball card album of my brother-in-law's that had this sole card in it

no, he doesn't remember why either

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I would not be surprised if Correa is missing bones at this point