Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

PederP posted:

Some of you may know a Russian YouTuber who goes by the moniker "The Russian Dude". Apparently he successfully managed to find a permanent residence and work permit abroad, and is now known as "The Canadian Dude". He's really just a news aggregator, but I appreciate that he is a Russian reporting on this war openly with a clear pro-Ukrainian perspective. Not only can he actually pronounce the place names correctly, it's also great to see someone put (yet another) a face on the Russians who do not support this war, and he adds some insight into the aggregation.

He tends to be on the more optimistic end of the spectrum, but he does qualify when reports are not fully substantiated. His last report:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI_DnLhOD_c

Thanks for this YouTuber recommend, will check him out.

I am a bit worried about how he seems to over-exagerate in his video descriptions. In the one you posted he has "Millions of Russians contact Ukrainian Authorities and ask how they can properly surrender." Millions? :what:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Donkringel posted:

I am a bit worried about how he seems to over-exagerate in his video descriptions. In the one you posted he has "Millions of Russians contact Ukrainian Authorities and ask how they can properly surrender." Millions? :what:

He is very guilty of hyperbolic and click-baity titles / summaries. The actual videos are better, although as mentioned, he leans quite heavily towards pro-Ukrainian optimism. But I think he does a decent job at separating his commentary and speculation from the actual reports of events and articles.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Deltasquid posted:

Unless I'm mixing him up with another Russian youtuber who moved abroad, I think this guy also got his mobilization papers served despite living in Canada for close to 5 years or so

Same lad.

------------------

He's too happy for me to follow but i am aware of him.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Willo567 posted:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1607568234873556992
loving clown. Russia has been losing to Ukraine over and over

Everyone already knew that by "open to talks", Putin just meant "Ukraine will give us half their country and agree to all of our other demands, and we will consider nothing less, end of discussion.", so both of these statements are essentially the same.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/putin-bans-russian-oil-exports-countries-that-imposed-price-cap-decree-2022-12-27/

Putin has banned oil sales to countries complying with price cap sanctions, excluding those compliant countries that have been granted a special exception (India and China, I assume).

The main target is crude, for 5 months starting with the 1st of February, and an unspecified time window for crude-related oil products.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
how do you even do that? oil is a fungible commodity.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So a while back Russia went into full mobilization and conscripted hundreds of thousands of citizens into the Military to throw them at Ukraine. What I'm wondering is, why didn't Ukraine basically do the same thing? From what I understand (and I could be wrong about this) Ukraines military is still running on a volunteer basis. I know Ukraine has a lot of manpower currently, but Russia is going to be pouring hundred of thousands more soldiers into the country and even if they are very undertrained I imagine it will still be very difficult for Ukraine to deal with the shear numbers of them. So I don't understand why Ukraine doesn't start drafting a large force of their own to help counteract it. Maybe its nearly impossible to train new recruits when your country is at war because military training facilities can be bombed?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Ukraine mobilised at the beginning of the war. Which is why all Ukrainian men need a special permit to leave the country.

Also they have conscription, it's not a voluntary service. So does Russia.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Charliegrs posted:

So a while back Russia went into full mobilization and conscripted hundreds of thousands of citizens into the Military to throw them at Ukraine. What I'm wondering is, why didn't Ukraine basically do the same thing? From what I understand (and I could be wrong about this) Ukraines military is still running on a volunteer basis. I know Ukraine has a lot of manpower currently, but Russia is going to be pouring hundred of thousands more soldiers into the country and even if they are very undertrained I imagine it will still be very difficult for Ukraine to deal with the shear numbers of them. So I don't understand why Ukraine doesn't start drafting a large force of their own to help counteract it. Maybe its nearly impossible to train new recruits when your country is at war because military training facilities can be bombed?

They did the same thing. Reservists were being conscripted from February 23, and general mobilisation was called on February 25.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Correct me if I am mistaken but wasn't it a partial mobilization?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Charliegrs posted:

So a while back Russia went into full mobilization and conscripted hundreds of thousands of citizens into the Military to throw them at Ukraine.

It was not a full mobilization in the economic, military, or conscription sense.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

It was more of a cope-alization, really.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Correct me if I am mistaken but wasn't it a partial mobilization?

Are you asking about Ukraine or Russia? Former no, latter yes.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1607716230022168582

https://www.forbes.com/sites/craighooper/2022/12/26/ukraine-converts-219-billion-in-us-military-surplus-into-fearsome-force/?sh=7925b849370a

quote:

The list of American security assistance to Ukraine since the beginning of Russia's "unprovoked and brutal invasion" is impressive. What is more impressive is that $21.9 billion in U.S. military aid has been dominated by largely second-string gear, comprised of unpopular or lower-tech systems that were, in many cases, on the way to the scrapyard.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 28, 2022

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Are you asking about Ukraine or Russia? Former no, latter yes.

It is a bit confusing because there have been reports that conscription was cancelled while martial law and a travel ban has been continually extended since February.
https://ukranews.com/en/news/888795-rada-cancels-conscription-during-martial-law

https://itd-rada-gov-ua.translate.goog/billInfo/Bills/Card/40626?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

There have also been multiple news articles saying that the Ukrainian military is meeting its man power goals but lacking equipment.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Remember: the last Authorization bill was $816.7 Billion.

For 2.5 percent of our defense spending, we have provided everything from weapons to humanitarian aid, done incredible damage to one of our largest adversaries and kept people alive during a brutal invasion. With what was essentially a bunch of stuff two days before the 'best by' date.

Even in the most myopic, terrible sense that doesn't factor in the humanitarian aid, supporting Ukraine has been one of the best investments against a 'near-peer' threat in the modern age. The fact that it has also been done for the closest thing you can find to an unambiguously good cause, defending a sovereign nation against an unjust attack, is another plus.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

So is Ukraine going to be dropping JDAMs from F16s or what

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I haven't seen this mentioned yet:

Kazakhstan donates 41 generators to help Ukraine's energy emergency.

(You have to scroll down a bit, it's part of the news round-up for today.)

Together with the German help, this should add up to some sizable contritbutions to help keep the most important installations running, regardless of what Russia is doing.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

awesome-express posted:

Probably not in 2023. Maybe some day.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

WarpedLichen posted:

It is a bit confusing because there have been reports that conscription was cancelled while martial law and a travel ban has been continually extended since February.
https://ukranews.com/en/news/888795-rada-cancels-conscription-during-martial-law

https://itd-rada-gov-ua.translate.goog/billInfo/Bills/Card/40626?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

There have also been multiple news articles saying that the Ukrainian military is meeting its man power goals but lacking equipment.

The cancellation refers to peacetime/normal conscription, and has nothing to do with the general mobilization, which was used to meet the manpower goals.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1607762078126718983

big "some of you will die, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make" energy

not painting a great portrait of life in Russia gotta say

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Speaking of the Russian church, the Ukrainian Constitutional Court has yesterday'ish (27th) announced a decision that the 2018 law that requires them to clearly identify their Ukrainian branch as being part of a Russia-based organization is constitutional, citing in part a ECHR decision that requiring religious organizations to not be named confusingly is reasonable. They should publish the full decision today'ish (28th).

(Sources: https://ccu.gov.ua/novyna/konstytuciynyy-sud-ukrayiny-uhvalyv-rishennya-u-spravi-shchodo-povnoyi-nazvy-religiynyh is a press release from the court, https://www.pravda.com.ua/news/2022/12/27/7382561/ is an article).

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

The Ukrainian army also in the beginning of the war had lots of volunteers, more than was needed. So men weren't pressganged into service.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

A problem with forced conscription into combat roles is that modern soldiers deal with and work around a lot of expensive and delicate equipment.

Equipment that tends to break a lot around people who don't want to be there. They also demoralize the actual volunteer soldiers and reduce their fighting capacity.

That's why many countries with conscription will let people select non-combat roles. You do after all need a lot of ancillary personnel for every actual fighting soldier anyway.

Kallikaa
Jun 13, 2001
"Third, the UAF mobilised its cadets and the teaching staff of its military academies to force-generate additional infantry battalions.
In this way a new group of forces was formed within the opening week of the conflict, supported by the two brigades of artillery held in Kyiv and one mechanised brigade." - RUSI Preliminary Lessons in Conventional Warfighting from Russia’s Invasion of Ukraine: February–July 2022

Ukraine using their cadets and teaching staff as infantry during the early days probably put an upper limit to the usable intake from the general mobilization as well.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Donkringel posted:

His latest video has "Entire Division of Russians SURRENDER". I've watched it and, they surrender.. their positions. Then most of them got back on the reformed frontline.\

e: VICE posted amazing video from a battle for Bakhmut.
:nws:- graphic content, some blurred bodies, and aftermath of fights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lpe1OgCbCY

alex314 fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Dec 28, 2022

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

About that recent oligarchs dying from window cancer, he was definitely hiding out: the hotel he was staying at was okay, but it wasn't a fancy hotel that would be accustomed to Russian oligarchs, nor was it in a well-known area.
https://twitter.com/faineg/status/1607986127746568192?t=PRM-FCFwIz2AZR_r7_gzlg&s=19

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

E nvm didn't see mod note

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Dunno, sounds a little too speculative to say he was "definitely" hiding only based on a circumstancial claim from ??? on social media

Not that half of an entourage of four dying in a hotel two days apart isn't suspicious.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Anybody developing window-itis related to Russia is automatically suspicious.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

Anybody developing window-itis related to Russia is automatically suspicious.

Welcome, you must be new to the internet?

Gruesome and unexplained deaths of Russian businessmen and directors of various institutions certainly raise an eyebrow, although it's unlikely that all of them were assassinations. For example, it's hard to understand why Putin would have murdered the head of an important navy shipyard when that complicates his quest of building Russian navy to challenge USA in the Arctic and Pacific.

Here's a long tweet thread about it. I don't know about the credentials of all their analyses, but the doctrine part is certainly true and Russia has been on that track for a while.

https://twitter.com/IndoPacEyes/status/1606822619042676737
https://unroll-twitter-thread.com/

quote:

🇷🇺⚓️ #RUSSIAN "#BLUEWATER" #NAVY DREAM SINKING Head of major 🇷🇺 shipyard dies suddenly at age 66, no cause given, 🇷🇺 state media #TASS today What this means: 🧵 #Ukraine #RussiaUkraine #UkraineWar #UkraineWarNews #Russia #UkraineRussiaWar #Ship #Navy #China #XiJinping #NATO
"On July 31, Russian President Vladimir Putin signed an updated version of the Naval Doctrine of the Russian Federation. This is a top-tier strategic-planning document, elaborating Moscow’s official approach to the maritime domain."

thediplomat.com/2022/08/russia…
"New doctrine divides the world into 6 directions, though their order has changed. Arctic and Pacific directions, previously mentioned in the 2nd and 3rd places, have been upgraded to the first two spots, at the expense of the Atlantic direction, now numbered third."
"The 2022 Naval Doctrine is the first national security document that Russia has published since the beginning of the war in Ukraine"
In important speeches over the years, it is clear that Putin views himself as a second father of the Russian Navy—on par with Peter the Great
"Putin compared himself to Peter the Great, comparing invasion of Ukraine to czar’s quest to 'reclaim' Russian lands."

nypost.com/2022/06/10/vla…
"Putin made the remarks in St. Petersburg — his hometown built by Tsar Peter on land conquered from Sweden — celebrating the 350th anniversary of the ruler’s birth."
🇷🇺shipbuilder who suddenly died today: "His main achievement had been preserving and strengthening the shipyard's order books for modern non-nuclear submarines, surface ships and deep-water vehicles."
This news comes on top of other recent bad news piling up for Russian Navy, such as its sole aircraft carrier catching fire

Given that Putin's Autocracy = increasingly Military + Industry Symbiosis... we need to look at how Russian *COMMERCIAL* shipping is ALSO suffering, and
what it means at the highest geopolitical levels.
Russia is now unable to import key Ukrainian, French, and other western engines and other components its Navy + Commercial Ships relied upon
"Russia lacks a robust capacity for laying underwater gas pipelines or conducting deep-water drilling and building an infrastructure for production of liquefied natural gas; it relied on Western companies that stopped working in Russia following the onset of the Ukraine War."
This is why Putin's "Blue Water" Naval ambitions start with the Arctic + Pacific "directions"... Russia intends to utilize the “Northern Sea Route” (NSR) to transport commodities + energy to Asian markets... earning critical $ to fund the war
In the absence of pipelines, and in the interest of avoiding over-reliance on China's Belt & Road, the NSR becomes key to long-term economic survival... and hence, why *Commercial* Shipbuilding is key to long-term funding of imperial ambitions
However, in the Arctic domain, he confronts ANOTHER problem = South Korea

I don't think that Putin quite anticipated SK to join US-led sanctions regime to the extent it has

And this impacts Putin's Arctic-to-Pacific NSR LNG (Liquified Natural Gas) Dreams
South Korea and China split 50/50 market share of global commercial blue water ocean shipbuilding for trade
And South Korea, up to this year, held 100% market share of the most high tech commercial ships in the world, LNG Carriers

After the Ukraine War started, demand for LNG BOOMED... particularly from Europe, as it sought alternatives to Russian Gas
The general public had no idea what "LNG" was last year, but now it's a household acronym.

The technology required to liquify, transport, and then re-gas to generate electricity is highly complex and requires solid QA
Suddenly, South Korea is now booked for YEARS ahead for orders for LNG tankers from Europeans, Americans and Qataris
What this then led to was the market going to the 2nd best bet = China
China has entered the chat. However, it is yet to be seen whether China can successfully build LNG carriers that are *reliable*, *durable*, *cost efficient* AND *on time*
Clearly, given enough time, China can catch up to South Korea, but it is highly unlikely China's new foray into the highest end of commercial shipbuilding will be seamless...
Problem is, it takes a VERY long time to build ONE: 24 months to 2.5 years... meaning, it will take YEARS for China to perfect its craft... something that South Korea took decades learning

Back to Russia: before the Ukraine War, Putin had quite cozy relations with South Korea

And a major interest of his was South Korean shipping, for obvious reasons as I stated above...

He had multiple orders in the books for SK LNG Carriers, put massive down payments on them
and was even enticing South Korean shipbuilders to tech transfer and/or invest massively in joint ventures in RUSSIA itself (Vladivostok vicinity) as part of his Eastern Economic Forum FDI push

Putin's ultimate cash cow of the future was to be LNG transported to booming Indo-Pacific economies via Arctic to Pacific NSR
South Korea's shipbuilders have obviously now completely CANCELLED Putin's orders and all talks or considerations of helping him build a native capability
IMPLICATION: even in this domain, Putin is more dependent on #XiJinping than ever before
The whole point of Putin pursuing a Blue Water Naval strategy was to create an NSR to transport Russian Energy + Commodities to the Indo-Pacific... was to have an INDEPENDENT logistical route to the emerging Chinese Belt + Road
So as to secure Russia's equal position to China on that side of the emerging alternative world order
But with South Korea not only joining US-led sanctions, but de-facto supplying Ukraine with *arms* (indirectly via re-supply of 155mm to US/Canada and rush orders of tanks + howitzers to Poland, etc)... even Russia's "Plan B" to avoid dependency on China is dashed
With recent reports that Russian shipbuilders are struggling to complete even BASIC fishing boats, due to sanctions:

Basically, every way you look at it... Putin is becoming a Client State of Xi Jingping
UGH, forgot to mention: South Korea was building *ICEBREAKER* LNG Carriers, which is an order of magnitude more complex than "simple" LNG Carriers.

South Korea saw this as a promising way to continue out-innovating China as it was anticipated China would eventually enter the LNG
Carrier market (as it did this year due to booming demand SK can not fulfill alone)

Therefore, the good news is that it will take quite a long time for Chinese shipbuilders to a) perfect LNG carriers, and then b) try to make *Icebreaker* LNG carriers

But who knows?
When something is important to Xi, he makes it happen fast. It all depends on priority.

It all depends on Xi. More LNG from Russia via Arctic = lower energy prices for China. And increases dependence on Chinese Shipbuilders for Russian trade into India, ASEAN, etc
NET NET: the faster Chinese Shipbuilders catch up to South Korea in learning how to make LNG Carriers + Icebreaker LNG Carriers... the faster 🇷🇺💰📈

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Nenonen posted:

Gruesome and unexplained deaths of Russian businessmen and directors of various institutions certainly raise an eyebrow, although it's unlikely that all of them were assassinations. For example, it's hard to understand why Putin would have murdered the head of an important navy shipyard when that complicates his quest of building Russian navy to challenge USA in the Arctic and Pacific.

:ssh: There are plenty of other people in Russia with the means to put a hit on their rivals and bribe/blackmail the subsequent investigation into a dead end.

What better time for ambitious underlings to jockey for position than when the big boss is busy?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

:ssh: There are plenty of other people in Russia with the means to put a hit on their rivals and bribe/blackmail the subsequent investigation into a dead end.

What better time for ambitious underlings to jockey for position than when the big boss is busy?

Also if that previously mentioned thing, Putin completely disinheriting Medvedev because he once didn't do exactly as was told with Libya and Gaddafi is true, then there is no way of knowing whats going on in the internal politics.

Maybe that shipyard owner started to ask too many questions about the bookkeeping, or overplayed his hand for a promotion thinking that he is close enough to Putin to be untouchable.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

This is true. One could become victim to a competitor, run afoul of another kleptocrat, or someone could be sending a message to Putin himself.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

alex314 posted:

His latest video has "Entire Division of Russians SURRENDER". I've watched it and, they surrender.. their positions. Then most of them got back on the reformed frontline.\

e: VICE posted amazing video from a battle for Bakhmut.
:nws:- graphic content, some blurred bodies, and aftermath of fights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lpe1OgCbCY

Cool video. The interactions with the civilians makes it seem even more absurd.

This made me chuckle though:

"Nothing wake you up in the morning better than freshly brewed coffee, and firing mortars at bastards."

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

awesome-express posted:

If Ukraine was getting F-16s, and my opinion it is pretty much inevitable, they aren't going to advertise it until the very last moment for various reasons. I imagine the major hold ups are logistics and training for the ground crews still. You have to figure out how to get the airframes into Ukraine safely and without tipping off Russia. Then you have to figure out how to get all of the support kit into the country as well. It is a massive undertaking. You also have the issue of all Russia airframes use TS-1 for fuel where an F-16 uses JP-8 which is another logistical issue. The two are close enough that there is likely a solution for it but it is just something else to have to consider.

In the short term JDAMs are basically plug and play so Ukraine likely has a solution in place to use them with the MiG-29s and Su-25s they currently have. They are probably going to keep flying those until the wings come off and by then the F-16 issues should be solved. I would think that Ukraine would be more interested in medium/long range strike drones and missiles in the immediate. They need the ability to strike at air defense assets as well as the various avenues Russia is launching missile/drone attacks at them. You can do that better with a lower value asset with the amount of risk involved. Affixing something akin to a HARM to an MQ-1 Predator would be pretty good for the situation they are in currently for SEAD/DEAD although MANPADs are still a concern.

F-16s are sexy and could give a lot of benefits it isn't as game changing now as it would have been 6-8 months ago. Giving them something like a couple dozen Tomahawk missiles would be currently as they could destroy Russian logistical and tactical targets deep within Russia which would cripple their ability to do much of anything within Ukraine for weeks at best and heavily cripple their ability to send much of a reaction. This would be done with little to not risk to any Ukrainians as well.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Dumb question, what's the Russian idiom that's always translated with "direction", and is it new? I never noticed it before the maps in this war started going this happened in the city1 direction and that happened in the city2 direction. But I admittedly read basically no Russian. Is there something to it beyond just being the Russian way of saying "in the x region"?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Djarum posted:

If Ukraine was getting F-16s, and my opinion it is pretty much inevitable, they aren't going to advertise it until the very last moment for various reasons.

Why would F-16s be treated differently from every single other major weapon system? The US has been pretty transparent with major weapon assistance, when it comes to reporting divestitures and expenses to congress and the American people.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Yeah, I don't know if it feasible to sneak in F16s of any number without Russia working it out on their own. The Russians probably train and wargame fighting against F16's in any event. What's the element of suprise meant to achieve? Allow F16 attacks where Mig29's/SU27s can't strike now? Attempt to down a Bear loitering hundreds (>thousand?) of km behind the lines?

Speaking of numbers, UAF was able to hold off RuAF airforces with ground based anti air and a fraction of the aircraft that the RuAF had. Would it be any different the other way around? I can see F16s trickling in and replacing attrition-ed Mig29/SU25s as allowing UAF to keep pushing back on RuAF but it would take hundreds of F16s to dramatically push the airspace to UAF control better than the control the RuAF currently has. Additionally, the RuAF seems to have mostly husbanded their fighter aircraft throughout this conflict so far, maybe in anticipation/contingency of exactly this scenario (or simply that their fighters are just not geared towards meaningful direct impact on ground operations).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

aphid_licker posted:

Dumb question, what's the Russian idiom that's always translated with "direction", and is it new? I never noticed it before the maps in this war started going this happened in the city1 direction and that happened in the city2 direction. But I admittedly read basically no Russian. Is there something to it beyond just being the Russian way of saying "in the x region"?

Not a native speaker, but I'm pretty sure it's literally "in the direction of X," ie "going towards X."