Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He clearly has Bonitis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kluber to Boston, chose it repeatedly because "imagine how annoying it will to to hear people from Boston say my name."

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Klubah! You suck Klubah!!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Why did he have to choose Boston more than once, was it like a jrpg menu where they're trying to stop you from making a bad decision?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

MrMidnight posted:

Pahk the cah on Klubah's ahm.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MrMidnight posted:

Klubah go back to Flaridah!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

lmao

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

The Giants cut Tommy La Stella. :rip: Dude was constantly injured, and had nowhere to play once we picked up Thairo Estrada, and if he had a cool moment in a Giants uni, I sure don't remember it.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mister 3AM.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Bandire posted:

I don't like it either. I was happy to cheer for the Astros as my NL team before the league tried to create this artificial rivalry.

It became real after Hurricane Harvey where the Rangers org wouldn't extend any kindness and swap a home series during a devastating natural disaster. The Rangers solution was just to do both series in Arlington.

It helps that at the home series in Arlington the Astros went like 37-5 against the Rangers in 3 games, but I hope the Rangers exist in mediocrity for the rest of time.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Sab0921 posted:

It became real after Hurricane Harvey where the Rangers org wouldn't extend any kindness and swap a home series during a devastating natural disaster. The Rangers solution was just to do both series in Arlington.

It helps that at the home series in Arlington the Astros went like 37-5 against the Rangers in 3 games, but I hope the Rangers exist in mediocrity for the rest of time.

lmao the Astros schedule had them on the road for a long rear end stretch before going into the playoffs--they wanted to swap games to give themselves a break from traveling nonstop at the worst time of the season

I distinctly remember that fiasco--I didn't care how lovely it made the Rangers looked I'm glad they did it

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Sab0921 posted:

It was super short notice, and they offered to do the games in Arlington and give the Astros the gate as well as doing a charity program I think. It was plenty generous. You can't just swap games without loving over your own fanbase that already bought tickets. This stuff comes up almost every year somewhere in the league, and no one just swaps games like that because of advanced ticket sales and season ticket holders would throw a fit. It was a lovely situation, and Reid Ryan was being a whiny jerk and complained to the media. So instead of Dallas and Houston coming together to try and help, they played the series in Tampa and came out way worse.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Pussy Boss posted:

The Giants cut Tommy La Stella. :rip: Dude was constantly injured, and had nowhere to play once we picked up Thairo Estrada, and if he had a cool moment in a Giants uni, I sure don't remember it.

Come home Tommy, I refuse to believe you'd be a worse LHH utility option than, uh... *checks notes* Zach McKinstry.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Anybody remember the trove of Korean baseball comics that was shared around in the baseball thread a few years back? They were all short, like newspaper strips, and all in Korean, but I loved them all deeply and seem to have misplaced the various avatars I made from them.

Specifically, I remember one with Godzilla in a Yankees jersey attacking a city.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Inspector_666 posted:

Anybody remember the trove of Korean baseball comics that was shared around in the baseball thread a few years back? They were all short, like newspaper strips, and all in Korean, but I loved them all deeply and seem to have misplaced the various avatars I made from them.

Specifically, I remember one with Godzilla in a Yankees jersey attacking a city.

Choi Hoon

Sadly I don't know where to find the comics themselves

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Shinjobi posted:

lmao the Astros schedule had them on the road for a long rear end stretch before going into the playoffs--they wanted to swap games to give themselves a break from traveling nonstop at the worst time of the season

I distinctly remember that fiasco--I didn't care how lovely it made the Rangers looked I'm glad they did it

The Astros were tryung to swap their home series during that long stretch for an away series because of the worst natural disaster to hit Texas in 120 years made it untenable to play games in Houston.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

Choi Hoon

Sadly I don't know where to find the comics themselves

I love you.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Bandire posted:

It was super short notice, and they offered to do the games in Arlington and give the Astros the gate as well as doing a charity program I think. It was plenty generous. You can't just swap games without loving over your own fanbase that already bought tickets. This stuff comes up almost every year somewhere in the league, and no one just swaps games like that because of advanced ticket sales and season ticket holders would throw a fit. It was a lovely situation, and Reid Ryan was being a whiny jerk and complained to the media. So instead of Dallas and Houston coming together to try and help, they played the series in Tampa and came out way worse.

The poor season ticket holders - they couldn't possibly understand.

It was a ball don't lie situation and the absolute rear end whooping the Astros put on the Rangers during their home series was wildly satisfying.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/Yankees/status/1608264288711634944

Indigo Diaz is an anime character.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Is that good?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Sab0921 posted:

The Astros were tryung to swap their home series during that long stretch for an away series because of the worst natural disaster to hit Texas in 120 years made it untenable to play games in Houston.

Edit: no I'm not going to re-litigate this, pardon my dust

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 29, 2022

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Sab0921 posted:

The poor season ticket holders - they couldn't possibly understand.

It was a ball don't lie situation and the absolute rear end whooping the Astros put on the Rangers during their home series was wildly satisfying.

You don't have to tell me the Rangers suck. I've watched them my whole life.

It was a logistically impossible ask. How do you manage this swap for the tens of thousands of tickets already sold for those games a month later? People make plans to go to the ballpark, and telling them that those tickets they bought in September now have to be used tomorrow wasn't going to fly.

Could the Rangers have done more? Maybe. But expecting them to screw their own fans for a rival that slapped their hand away after offering help is pretty unreasonable. No team does this.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

:lol: please tell me that's a Madonna reference on the A-Rod panel.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Marlins did something???

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1608273111543345152?s=20&t=jkyuSFNbEIJBQORHkKYJ_A

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

I’m sure somebody in double A cares.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’d guess it’s just a roster move. They cut Luetge to make room for Rodon or Khanle. So deal him for some non toxic 40 man guys you like.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Luetge seems pretty useful in trade for a bullpen lottery ticket and org filler.

Braves also got Eli White for some reason, I guess as a potential defensive replacement/pinch runner? Just so long as he doesn't get basically any ABs.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

elentar posted:

while scrounging for AV cables at my in-laws' house, found a mini baseball card album of my brother-in-law's that had this sole card in it

no, he doesn't remember why either

I was in elementary school around that time, and my principal had that same last name.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Neandertals would've also used T-shirts if they had been around

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

OH HELL YEAH

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

i wish i could wrap my head around doing this kind of writing because you can just say almost anything whatsoever, indulge any weirdo stream of consciousness flight of fantasy, and it will never matter to anyone

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
It still fills my heart with a churning, malevolent hatred and further proof of there being no justice in the universe that Ichiro has no rings but David loving Eckstein has two

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

OH HELL YEAH

this is masochism

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
A bunch of MLB umps are retiring apparently, although no Bucknor or Angel:

https://twitter.com/JesseRogersESPN/status/1608492753889136641

quote:

Ted Barrett, Greg Gibson, Tom Hallion, Sam Holbrook, Jerry Meals, Jim Reynolds, Bill Welke, Marty Foster, Paul Nauert and Tim Timmons.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well I don't recognize any of those names so no one really bad quit.

I read a thing a while ago that said that it wasn't that umpires are bad at calling balls and strikes, it's that old umpires are bad at calling balls and strikes and younger ones are very good at it. (Pat Hoberg, for example, is 36) The article was agnostic on if it was a decline in ability or an adherence to unwritten rules in which certain pitches aren't "earned" to the satisfaction of the umpire. Old dudes never call crossups, young dudes don't care where the catcher set up, etc.

https://twitter.com/emmabaccellieri/status/1608522755078770690

Good ones this year, I still think JV's Wow is the best pitcher reaction

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 29, 2022

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Jerry Meals was behind the plate for the Kerry Wood game and gave him like 8 inches off the plate glove side.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

zoux posted:

Well I don't recognize any of those names so no one really bad quit.

I read a thing a while ago that said that it wasn't that umpires are bad at calling balls and strikes, it's that old umpires are bad at calling balls and strikes and younger ones are very good at it. (Pat Hoberg, for example, is 36) The article was agnostic on if it was a decline in ability or an adherence to unwritten rules in which certain pitches aren't "earned" to the satisfaction of the umpire. Old dudes never call crossups, young dudes don't care where the catcher set up, etc.

https://twitter.com/emmabaccellieri/status/1608522755078770690

Good ones this year, I still think JV's Wow is the best pitcher reaction

All you need to remember about Jerry Meals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnGomyAGYJQ

It was the also the game for the very loud little girl yelling "Let's go Pirates!" every few seconds all the way through and one the very best GDT threads I've ever been in.

e: Currently watching Foolish Baseball's retrospective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YABX_zW-6Kc

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh I know that guy after all

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 29, 2022