Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

fsif posted:

Longer piece from Vic Tafur: https://theathletic.com/4041696/2022/12/28/derek-carr-benched-raiders-mark-davis/?source=user_shared_article

tl;dr: Mostly just says Mark Davis has wanted to get rid of Carr for a while. Gruden was initially lukewarm on Carr but Carr won him over. McDaniels made the decision to keep Carr when he was hired but became agitated when Carr would throw his offense under the bus. Tafur still believes, though, the decision was Davis's and not McDaniels's.

This really feels like a Cleveland Browns moment. "Plucky underdog" franchise completely torches their reputation because of boneheaded owner decisions.

Mark Davis got rid of the playoff coach for Josh McDaniels, and then got rid of the franchise quarterback for really specious reasons and didn't even let him play out the season because he didn't want to pay him? Tell me that's not a Haslam move.

Would Al have done this? I say no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
Please please sign Carr 9ers

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Chris James 2 posted:

The Broncos QB situation is still easily the most hosed one until 2026. Nowhere else has someone they'll a) definitely still be paying till then and b) probably still have till then because they're even more hosed financially if they try getting rid of him before then

Packers is closest but at least their QB is still able to win games right now
https://twitter.com/KenIngalls/status/1564077949242032128?s=20
https://twitter.com/KenIngalls/status/1564079181285261315?s=20

Pretty sure this same guy explained that the Packers can split the dead cap hit over two years if done after June 1st. Not a big deal if he wants to retire as Rodgers will announce but wait like Brees did. Obviously makes a trade trickier though since the Packers would not be able to obtain 2023 picks though.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

aperion posted:

You forgot the Browns QB situation, but that's okay because we're all actively cheering for them to faceplant with the rapist at QB.

I didn't forget. His money's fully guaranteed and he can be cut or traded at any time any year. They're definitely still hosed financially because of it obviously but they can at least technically play anybody at the position. The cap hit for getting rid of Deshaun any year is outright cheaper than cutting Rodgers next year, Rodgers waiting to move on in any capacity until '24 or '25, or anything to do with Russ from basically after next year ends on until literally 2026

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Docjowles posted:

I hope Geno gets paid but I can't imagine the new Raiders HC/GM duo would pass on the chance to draft Their Guy and compete with him on a rookie contract.

It would be idiotic, but this is the Raiders.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

Chris James 2 posted:

I didn't forget. His money's fully guaranteed and he can be cut or traded at any time any year. They're definitely still hosed financially because of it obviously but they can at least technically play anybody at the position. The cap hit for getting rid of Deshaun any year is outright cheaper than cutting Rodgers next year, Rodgers waiting to move on in any capacity until '24 or '25, or anything to do with Russ from basically after next year ends on until literally 2026

Holy poo poo.

I never did compare the two, I had just assumed the Browns volunteered to lock themselves into the worst QB contract in the history of football. Leave it to loving Rodgers to be #1 there too.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
I'm all for QBs (or any players) getting more money from ownership, especially guaranteed money, but the Watson Rodgers and Wilson contracts are going to be exhibits A B and C for owners never doling out great deals again. Lamar should have taken literally any megadeal the day after Watson signed because there is no way Baltimore FO gives him anything near his worth.

A player like Carr is going to be lowballed into retirement when they try to offload him.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Those are some hilariously huge cap hits but it’s still not impossible to cut them.

Cut the bad qbs, trade enough other players to get below the cap, and then suck for a season or two while amassing cheap talent.

It’s sucks to be a team that sucks for two seasons but if a team has qb that lovely then that team is not winning anything for two seasons anyway.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Zurreco posted:

I'm all for QBs (or any players) getting more money from ownership, especially guaranteed money, but the Watson Rodgers and Wilson contracts are going to be exhibits A B and C for owners never doling out great deals again. Lamar should have taken literally any megadeal the day after Watson signed because there is no way Baltimore FO gives him anything near his worth.

A player like Carr is going to be lowballed into retirement when they try to offload him.

I don’t think he’ll be lowballed. That list Kalli shared earlier is pretty clear: even mediocre/solid starting qbs get decent contracts.

That’s kind of the issue. The team end ups paying that mediocre qb 7/9ths of an elite qb contract but the team only gets like 6/9ths of the qb value.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Zurreco posted:

If the Ravens don't. Someone will. Everyone knew a mega contract was part of trading for a rapist and multiple teams were in for multiple first round picks.

Lamar gets a similar deal from somewhere for sure.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Lamar isnt gonna leave Baltimore lol

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I dont think he will either but if it ends up in one of those quagmires where they tag him and he's getting traded he's going to get a mega deal.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I’m fully expecting a mystery box to occur and the fuckin’….

*thinks of a truly absurd outcome*

….Lions end up with Lamar.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Those are some hilariously huge cap hits but it’s still not impossible to cut them.

Cut the bad qbs, trade enough other players to get below the cap, and then suck for a season or two while amassing cheap talent.

It’s sucks to be a team that sucks for two seasons but if a team has qb that lovely then that team is not winning anything for two seasons anyway.

I'm sure someone has done plenty of studies to show ownership that an average at best team still makes money, but as a fan I totally agree with this. Pull the cord, let your team suck while you build up picks, cap space, and get the fans/players hungry, then make big investments and try to be something. Try to massage a bit and once things get bad again, pull the cord again

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Someone will likely pay Lamar. If it were going to be the Ravens it would have happened already

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

They needed a historic run, ending in a ring, to be convinced to pay Flacco, and they almost immediately* regretted it. And that hesitation in paying him in the first place was for a QB that actually had relative playoff success (more than one playoff win) pre-historic-run-ending-in-ring

*It definitely didn't occur as quick as the Russ contract, that's 100% going to be the new "immediate regret" reference from now on

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Gonz posted:

I’m fully expecting a mystery box to occur and the fuckin’….

*thinks of a truly absurd outcome*

….Lions end up with Lamar.

I wanted the Pats to draft Lamar instead of Sony so bad. Even though the timing with the end of Brady didn't quite line up. If they somehow end up with Lamar and an OC that could use him I would be over the loving moon. I mean Jesus Christ they are paying Agholor, Jonnu, and Hunter Henry roughly what Mahomes makes for absolutely zero production. You can fit in a top end FA QB, figure it out. Although somehow Jonnu's dead cap next year is $19 mil :shepicide:

Instead it's going to be running it back Mac and Patricia or BOB or some poo poo

I ask for and will receive no sympathy as a Pats fan, but this is what I put in my letter to Satan for Christmas

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Jimmy doesn't deserve that.

Well, no. He was a hero last season, and only improved this year. I used to say that an NFL QB can't, simply cannot, have a signature interception. JimmyG doesn't have one anymore.

I am being brutally pragmatic here. The 49ers have a chance to have their top two QBs both be on their rookie contracts. This opens up a lot of cap room to pay other players, or even bring in another high-profile FA. York and Shanahan have to be considering this a very strong option.

Remember, this is the team that benched Joe Montana. Which made me a Chiefs fan, so that aspect of it worked out. But that's loving sacrilege. Joe. Benched.

It sucks that someone who plays out of their mind for a team and gets great results only to get passed over for the new hotness. It happens in the NFL. HoF QBs spend a decade plus with a team and retire from another one. Jimmy's injury history suggests he might be getting there. If the opportunity cost for having JimmyG under center for maybe not the whole season is not being able to resign Warner or Greenlaw, then that doesn't look good for Garoppolo in red and gold.

It's going to come down to three things. The first is how much cap space we need to free up to keep a team together than can match or exceed the success we have this year.

The second is JimmyG's long-term health prospects. We could keep Purdy as the backup, start JimmyG, and know we're okay at QB if the starter goes down. Or maybe he'd take another incentive-laden backup deal. I'd be cool with that, so long as we can still keep the band together.

Third, Shanahan is calling a more aggressive and more productive offensive scheme for Purdy. Garoppolo has a season QB Rating of a 101, his career best. Purdy is clocking in at 110 in his first four full (-ish) games. I think coach likes this kid. The team is on record as being wildly impressed with him and totally on board for the Brock Purdy Experience.

Ask me again after the Super Bowl, I may have a fourth point, or lose one.

e.

Highbrow Slick posted:

Please please sign Carr 9ers

:frogout:

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 29, 2022

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

mllaneza posted:

Well, no. He was a hero last season, and only improved this year. I used to say that an NFL QB can't, simply cannot, have a signature interception. JimmyG doesn't have one anymore.

I am being brutally pragmatic here. The 49ers have a chance to have their top two QBs both be on their rookie contracts. This opens up a lot of cap room to pay other players, or even bring in another high-profile FA. York and Shanahan have to be considering this a very strong option.

Remember, this is the team that benched Joe Montana. Which made me a Chiefs fan, so that aspect of it worked out. But that's loving sacrilege. Joe. Benched.

It sucks that someone who plays out of their mind for a team and gets great results only to get passed over for the new hotness. It happens in the NFL. HoF QBs spend a decade plus with a team and retire from another one. Jimmy's injury history suggests he might be getting there. If the opportunity cost for having JimmyG under center for maybe not the whole season is not being able to resign Warner or Greenlaw, then that doesn't look good for Garoppolo in red and gold.

It's going to come down to three things. The first is how much cap space we need to free up to keep a team together than can match or exceed the success we have this year.

The second is JimmyG's long-term health prospects. We could keep Purdy as the backup, start JimmyG, and know we're okay at QB if the starter goes down. Or maybe he'd take another incentive-laden backup deal. I'd be cool with that, so long as we can still keep the band together.

Third, Shanahan is calling a more aggressive and more productive offensive scheme for Purdy. Garoppolo has a season QB Rating of a 101, his career best. Purdy is clocking in at 110 in his first four full (-ish) games. I think coach likes this kid. The team is on record as being wildly impressed with him and totally on board for the Brock Purdy Experience.

Ask me again after the Super Bowl, I may have a fourth point, or lose one.

e.

:frogout:

Run with Purdy and Jimmy. Sorry Lance; if it's any consolation you won't be the only young QB out (Zach and ideally Mac, in addition to the last days of contracts for Daniel Jones and Taylor Heinicke; I think Jones may stay)

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Chris James 2 posted:

Run with Purdy and Jimmy. Sorry Lance; if it's any consolation you won't be the only young QB out (Zach and ideally Mac, in addition to the last days of contracts for Daniel Jones and Taylor Heinicke; I think Jones may stay)

I think they will probably keep the guy they spent 3 firsts on and drop the guy there were trying to get rid of last year who they’ve just replaced with a 7th round pick.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Why would they resign Jimmy? He's a free agent. They have two young QBs already. One of whom they went into the year as their starter and the other who appears to be the new GOAT. They need to back the brinks truck up for Bosa, anyway. Jimmy gone. Only way he plays again is if they have a massive blowout or flameout in the playoffs.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

I for one look forward to future Colt David Carr and future Raider Jimmy G.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Would Al have done this? I say no.

I suspect Al would have just cut him if he didn't believe in him anymore, cap hits notwithstanding.

I also suspect Al would have liked this guy a lot so, you know, we wouldn't have ended up here.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

proven players who aren't 34+ when they sign will still get massive guaranteed deals in the future

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mllaneza posted:

I'm not saying we shouldn't move on from Jimmy if it's to our advantage, I just don't want to see him sent to the glue factory that is the Josh McDaniels Raiders.

Send him to the Packers instead :devil:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

sent to the glue factory that is the Josh McDaniels Raiders.

Send him to the Packers instead :devil:

Oh gently caress no, that'd be crue...
wait.

I hope he has a good agent.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mllaneza posted:

Oh gently caress no, that'd be crue...
wait.

He's got plenty of experience winning at Lambeau when it counts so I think he'd be a natural choice to replace Qaron :laugh:

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Dec 29, 2022

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
It's amazing that Carr survived Gruden hating him like I have never seen before outside of maybe Vince Young/Jeff Fisher only to not last a season under McDaniels.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

syzpid posted:

It's amazing that Carr survived Gruden hating him like I have never seen before outside of maybe Vince Young/Jeff Fisher only to not last a season under McDaniels.

Honestly, I'm convinced part of the reason Gruden, McDaniels and Davis have all hated Carr is that - whatever his limitations as a player - he's a ridiculously good leader and probably commands more loyalty in the locker room than any of them ever have. Like, enough loyalty to keep the team from falling apart last year and to convince Adams to walk away from a contender just for the chance to play with him again. Given everything I've ever heard about McDaniels, I don't think he ever could have endured that for long.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Makes you think why he never won anything.

https://twitter.com/NFLonCBS/status/1608467750489407489

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Only crime bigger than his defense was his lack of MVPs

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

PFR's career comps for Carr include...

Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Stan Humphries, Chad Pennington, Colin Kaepernick, Blake Bortles, Carson Wentz, David Carr, David Garrard, Jake Delhomme

crowning him might be a bit premature

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

FizFashizzle posted:

Only crime bigger than his defense was his lack of MVPs

How could the refs do this to him

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

pmchem posted:

Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Stan Humphries, Chad Pennington, Colin Kaepernick, Blake Bortles, Carson Wentz, David Carr, David Garrard, Jake Delhomme

Chad Pennington owned when he was broken or his arm dangling by a thread.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

pmchem posted:

Uhhh not including Ken O’Brien on their comps is a crime. Carr and Adams to the Jets confirmed.

https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/1608459549832347649

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Uhhh not including Ken O’Brien on their comps is a crime. Carr and Adams to the Jets confirmed.

https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/1608459549832347649

It's going to be rough for any team to make Carr/Adams work from a cap perspective but inject at poo poo right into my veins if there is any way to do it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I bet Davis probably doesn’t have the liquidity to put the Carr guarantees into escrow once they’re locked in.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
We have a slightly used Malik Willis that McDaniels would surely love to mold into a superstar...

e: Davante Adams would have to be included though, we already have Derek Carr At Home.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Diva Cupcake posted:

he makes the comps list for any period shorter than 'career':
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CarrDe02.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

https://twitter.com/ComplexSports/status/1608181531821969409

Tim Whatley posted:

I want Minshew Mania to sign as a starter somewhere
Hard same.