Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Cats keep killing all the cave spiders. Pet-passable doesn't seem to have made it to the Steam version. Any way of having both cats and cave spiders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

A few years back, a dialogue popped up asking if I wanted my fort to be recognised as a city within my progenitor civilisation, on the condition that any posh dwarves moving in would be treated like royalty, and I said no. Since then, I haven't had a single trade caravan stop by. Is there any way to reverse that decision or get some trading going? Cos I don't want to have to figure out making instruments and clothes for myself, tbh.

Also, there hasn't been a single pregnancy in this fort since its creation, like 20 years ago. It isn't a problem but it does seem unlikely. The animals are having lots of babies but not the citizens. They all have dormitories or bedrooms. Have I somehow created a colony exclusively for gay / menopausal dwarves?

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

PublicOpinion posted:

No code tweaking necessary, when you generate a world you can set the number of werebeast types including setting it to 0 to remove them entirely.

It's even simpler than this and doesn't require world regeneration. Find the difficulty settings, go custom, and find the setting for werebeast attacks

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

skooma512 posted:

Cats keep killing all the cave spiders. Pet-passable doesn't seem to have made it to the Steam version. Any way of having both cats and cave spiders?

Animal pens. Pro-tip: Keep your cats in your food stockpiles, they'll deal with vermin

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Nitevision posted:

It's even simpler than this and doesn't require world regeneration. Find the difficulty settings, go custom, and find the setting for werebeast attacks

I think this doesn't prevent a tavern visitor from turning, only werebeast that enter the map in attack mode.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

a7m2 posted:

I think this doesn't prevent a tavern visitor from turning, only werebeast that enter the map in attack mode.

Interesting. I generated two worlds without werebeast types and still got werebeast attacks until I flipped the difficulty setting, so maybe each of these things is orthogonal to the other

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If you set the Number of Werebeast Curse Types to 0, the world has no werebeasts. At least that's how it's worked for me :shrug:

I tried to build an open-air quarry fort!

Someone was unhappy about in in summer of year 2.

I don't even have doors built yet lmao. Hopefully it tires itself out punching the Great Warhogs' heads into gore and leaves.

e: Oh my god a great warthog gored its eye out with a tusk and blinded it, then it killed the great warthog and summoned a Demon Dog from its corpse. But because it was blind it started attacking the Demon Dog and traumatized itself by killing its pet. Then it sat down to take a nap.

e2: It has now been standing at the corpse of its dead Demon Dog for two full seasons. Because it feels no emotions, it is not bothered by being unoccupied.

e3: Migrants showed up and stumbled across it on their way to the fort. it instantly transformed one into a lich and the two of them killed everyone. RIP.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Dec 29, 2022

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Well it took like three in-game years, but I achieved part of my goal for this fort.

A week or so ago I made a new world for the hell of it and poked around in Legends. I saw a demon with a hilarious name: Bilenuts the Ugly Mint Tongue. Read his history and it got even more hilarious. This dude LOVES wrestling and foot races. Dozens and dozens of wrestling competitions and foot races at the neighboring dwarf civ. He won every single one of them of course. He bonded with the dwarven king over their shared love of athletics. He bonded with a goblin over the same, then hired that goblin to lead armies to attack a different dwarf civ for several years and racked up like an 80 body count. Then went back to more wrestling.

Originally I wanted to settle near his dark fortress and the dwarf fortress he loved to wrestle at, which had sadly fallen to a forgotten beast. But then I saw a volcano half a world away and figure if I wanted Bilenuts to notice me, a temple to his oily glory at the top of a volcano was the key. So we got to work.

The bulk of the base is innocuous to the casual visitor. We have temple devoted to upstanding dwarven gods, statues devoted to The Gate of Hearts my dwarven civ (including, funny enough, the god that brought Bilenuts out of the Underworld to bind him to the material plane. I didn't put two and two together until one of my alunite statues to Berul came out as a statue of Bilenuts and Berul doing so, so my undercover demonic dwarven coven was already coming together via the game's RNG!)

As you go futher in, you start to see a lot more cobaltite and cinnabar and statues of a lizard demon named Bilenuts for some reason. Our Library and Throne Room are festooned with it. Our playroom for the dwarven children has colorful pink statues of a demon lord looming over the tots.

Then if you head up the stairs, allllll the way to the peak of the volcano, you get the real deal.

Ground floor of the temple to Bilenuts has dwarven wrestlers honing their craft 24/7 on a glass floor overlooking the volcano. There's a non-denominational temple just north of this where you can worship the gods of your choice (but let's be real here, you know who you came for).

The top floor is a bustling tavern loading with the finest drink, the finest gem-encrusted tables and chairs and musical instruments aplenty, with a great view of the Total Nonstop Dwarven Wrestling Action below.

So far Bilenuts hasn't come to visit. I don't even think wrestling competitions and foot races happen in game? Only in Legends? He did at some point declare war on my civ and has been taking out settlements back in the home office, leading armies in person. If he makes it all the way over here leading an army, I'll call that a successful mission. I'm going to send 50 oiled up beefcakes for the ultimate Royal Rumble if he does. Now we wait.

Insanely cool

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
Thanks for the werebeast tips: that'll hugely improve things for me.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nuebot posted:

How do I make my dwarves gather honey? I have many hives, but no one seems to gather from them.

EDIT: also are cage traps useless on flying animals? giant cardinals keep killing my dwarves, like; dozens of them. Nothing seems to stop them, these things are insanely powerful and they thirst for the blood of children.

You need to have the hives set to be harvested from, and you need a jug to put the royal jelly in. (you also need a jug when you press the collected honeycomb at a screw press to put the honey in).

Cage traps should work fine on flying creatures, but if you justs tick them outside they'll probably just fly over them. They'll work better in a 1 z level tunnel.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

If you don't want to turn werebeasts off then the way of dealing with them is to check the combat logs and note down anyone who was bitten (not scratched or anything else) and had the skin broken through (bruises and dents don't count either). I personally just exile them but they tend to come back to bother you later, so a lot of people will just wall those guys into a room or magma them more permanently.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

I walled off the caverns aside from a small bit I use for a farm a long while ago. Since then it has become home to a roving pack of rodentpeople. The rodentpeople have dispatched every single forgotten beast that has showed up with no loss of rodent life for like 5 years. Their civ shows as 'peace' with mine but is that just for lack of getting to my fort or what? I am tempted to just keep the 'forgotten beast killsquad' out there being bored, whining about the miasma and murdering snot monsters forevermore.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nuebot posted:

The elves don't like me much on account of deforestation. Speaking of taming things though; all of the tame like cows and stuff crawl into my caves and starve, everything else is fine; I don't know what to do about that besides kill them and eat them.

But more importantly, is it a good idea to just make armour for everyone? I have a lot of iron, maybe less children would die to cardinal attacks if they were covered in armour and had swords.

You make a pasture and constantly check your livestock tab to make sure all the grazers are in it. Every time you get migrants is generally good enough, but sometimes babies of pastured things don't get the memo. Above ground with grass or below ground with cave fungus both work

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Danaru posted:

Is there no stockpile that accepts thread made from hair? I've been spinning them for hospital use but even my all everything stockpile won't get them hauled

I don’t have the game in front of me now, but IIRC the spun animal thread is under Cloth -> Thread: Yarn. The unspun hair is a type of refuse, though.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
In a first for all my years playing Dwarf Fortress, I finally managed to build a working magma pump stack, pulling the spicy orange stuff up 32 z-levels to my main fort area.

Now what to do with it? I figured once my magma workshops get moved back up to a more manageable level I should do some landscaping. Specifically a magma moat around my noble's quarters, which both feels very dwarfy and (I hope) serve as a reminder for where they could end up if they start throwing a tantrum.

With the moat dug out, and my magma pumps going full tilt I proceed to dig out a piece of wall with the intent to channel the inlet into this moat. I forgot that the pumped magma pool was on my main fort's z-level, not one below. Rookie mistake!

In an absolute panic I managed to wall off the corridor to the east, seconds before the magma reached the general populace. That staircase next to the pump near the middle goes all the way down and some poor bastard got melted before he knew what hit him.

In an effort to avert further disaster, I dug an emergency cistern to the west and just managed to get it done in time to prevent further overflow. Rockscurl will persevere!

Crisis averted, but holy poo poo that was tense! At least my forgotten beast trap worked in all the chaos.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

chglcu posted:

I don’t have the game in front of me now, but IIRC the spun animal thread is under Cloth -> Thread: Yarn. The unspun hair is a type of refuse, though.

Thread spun from animal hair does not fit in any stockpile, and can not be used for making cloth. There are only a few animals that have wool, which makes yarn, which does fit in stockpiles and can be used to make cloth, but butchering most other hairy animals still leaves a pile of animal hair that will be spun into thread.

Your best bet for getting rid of it, apart from use in hospitals or dumping, is to sell it to traders.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Dec 29, 2022

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

nielsm posted:

Thread spun from animal hair does not fit in any stockpile, and can not be used for making cloth. There are only a few animals that have wool, which makes yarn, which does fit in stockpiles and can be used to make cloth, but butchering most other hairy animals still leaves a pile of animal hair that will be spun into thread.

Your best bet for getting rid of it, apart from use in hospitals, is to sell it to traders.

Ah, fun. I probably need to check what’s been happening to all the stuff I’ve been spinning in my fort then. My hospital has been extremely busy the last few years, so it could just all have been going there I suppose.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

There's some bug reports for it here:
https://dwarffortress.mantishub.io/view.php?id=11482 (can't stockpile)
https://dwarffortress.mantishub.io/view.php?id=4132 (can't be weaved to cloth)

nielsm fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 29, 2022

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I found one of those wrestling and footrace demons too. Dude named "Thireg", at the start of times, he came up from underground, formed "The Cooperative dungeon" and basically Sauroned around the place for a bit out of his fortress "Spideryburned", but then around year 30 stumbled onto cool wrestling poo poo in Furnaceland, a Dwarf fortress, and spent out the rest of his days hanging out there watching Wrestling and Foot races until eventually he got ganked back at Spideryburned by some giant "Roc" eagle thing,.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I got a map with a volcano and river on it, what sort of dumb poo poo happens when you pour water into lava that I can exploit?

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan

Porkness posted:

I understand there is no ocean travel at all in this game.

If I embark on an island, am I prevented from raiding civilizations on the mainland?

e: no. "Inaccessible mission location"
Embark locations are considered passable in the world map, even if they're 99,9% water, so you can start a new fort on a place that touches the island and the main land, and immediately abandon the fort. This (should) now allow caravans to arrive to your island fort, and you to do missions.

Jarvisi posted:

I got a map with a volcano and river on it, what sort of dumb poo poo happens when you pour water into lava that I can exploit?

Shitload of steam, that scalds and boils anyone alive.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
[doubleposting]

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Jarvisi posted:

You can also perform obsidian casting, by filling a layer inside a scaffold with magma and pour water over to change to obsidian, and create structures that way.

As far as I know you can also make a boiling foot bath by filling a pool with 3/7 water, then run magma on the layer right underneath. The water will be considered passable terrain, but it will be hot enough to boil anyone who actually walks through it.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Warbird posted:

I’ve noticed that our favorited pointy eared tree fuccbois now take issue with being offered animal parts. Is that a new thing or is my memory failing me?

iirc this was a thing waaay back in the 2D version. I believe it was removed when z-levels were added, and only recently re-introduced, but elven culture has always been particular about the treatment of animals. Could be wrong though, it's been years.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Are there any succession plays going on rn? (Steam version or not )

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

nielsm posted:

Your best bet for getting rid of it, apart from use in hospitals or dumping, is to sell it to traders.

Back in the day I made a mod where all animal hair could be turned into felt, which you could make into bowlers and fezes and such. The steam version has made modding just different enough that I don't feel like figuring it out again.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, I really wish we could use the "Wear armor over civilian clothing" option, and still have the militia use boots. Setting that to "Replace civilian clothing" seems to be the #1 reason for all the weird behaviour with militia just dropping stuff all over the place, but without it they won't wear boots which is the main reason for having to retire good military dwarves due to cut motor nerves in the legs.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

nielsm posted:

You can also perform obsidian casting, by filling a layer inside a scaffold with magma and pour water over to change to obsidian, and create structures that way.

As far as I know you can also make a boiling foot bath by filling a pool with 3/7 water, then run magma on the layer right underneath. The water will be considered passable terrain, but it will be hot enough to boil anyone who actually walks through it.

One cool thing you can do if it's freezing outside is use magma to make an instant ice maze. First build a big water tower to have a pressurized water supply that opens to where you want to make the maze. Then carve out a maze one z level beneath the area you want the ice maze and fill it with magma. The ground directly above the magma will be hot, but the areas next to it will still be freezing. So when you let the water out it will rush out and almost instantly fill the tiles above the magma and create ice walls over all the adjacent areas. Anyone caught in it will either be frozen in an ice wall or trapped in the water filled maze. I guess it doesn't have to be a maze, you could just do a wall.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

cheetah7071 posted:

Are the personalities of migrants influenced by what your fortress is famous for?

I don't think people have done :science: on it, but I'm pretty sure it's true. It's a great reason to make a doctor guild stuffed with artifacts.

Broken Cog posted:

Man, I really wish we could use the "Wear armor over civilian clothing" option, and still have the militia use boots. Setting that to "Replace civilian clothing" seems to be the #1 reason for all the weird behaviour with militia just dropping stuff all over the place, but without it they won't wear boots which is the main reason for having to retire good military dwarves due to cut motor nerves in the legs.

The solution is just to make sure military dwarves never take their uniform off. Change off duty/etc to armor/always.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Tuna-Fish posted:

The solution is just to make sure military dwarves never take their uniform off. Change off duty/etc to armor/always.
Huh, I hadn't even checked the edit menu for schedules, seems I've got something to set up, thanks! Still, annoying that you have to fiddle with this for it to work properly.

Also, I wish my dwarves would stop claiming inn rooms when there's still unclaimed bedrooms for fortress residents.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

My 10-year-old fortress is now crashing when I try to load anything past a specific autosave :( Anyone know if this is salvageable or if I should just start over?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

There's some great sprites in this game.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Hamster Man Hammerman is an incredible descriptor.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

This is "the lieutenant" who hangs around in my tavern, or aimlessly flies around

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Anyone know why this is impassable for wagons?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Anyone know why this is impassable for wagons?

The cage traps, I'm guessing

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I gotta figure out a way to slow the game down, besides being apparently way more optimized the steam version doesn't pause or anything to call your attention to major events so I didn't even realize my guards had found a loving dragon until they were walking away from its corpse doing one-liners

[Alt -] and [Alt =] will change the framerate, search this thread for "announcements.txt" for a guide to fixing the notifications.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

nielsm posted:

The cage traps, I'm guessing

Oh, wagons can't pass traps? That explains a lot, cheers! Mostly just had them there for random wildlife wandering by.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Edit: beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Oh, wagons can't pass traps? That explains a lot, cheers! Mostly just had them there for random wildlife wandering by.

The wiki suggests traps do block wagons (as well as certain other things like doors, even lever-operated ones left open), though it's good to make certain there is a clear path to the edge of the map as well that's not blocked by boulders or the like. Building a road to the edge of the map can keep a clear path that won't become obstructed by trees.