Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for taking my son (15) out on the streets with me to see what addiction is really like after he was caught smoking and drinking
Unhoused people deserve more than to be somebody else's kid's Valuable Lesson. Unless OP paid them for their time, this is exactly like sentencing a bigoted kid to do community service: why did the people using the group kitchen deserve to be exposed to this bigot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

deported to Canada posted:

Teaching his kid a lesson by taking him on the streets and introducing him to local dealers.

I'll cut him a little slack for being an ex-smackhead but I've been amazed in my life at the amount of people that think drinking/weed instantly leads to injecting heroin.

"Here's all the best places to find the good poo poo, weed is for pussies. This is Mike, he used to give me handjobs for meth!"

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

mllaneza posted:

I've got a local self-serve hot pot place in the mall less than a mile away. You pick up a bowl and tongs at the start of the line. Then you go down the line loading up your bowl; protein, veg, noodles, whatever you want. There's a huge selection of protein too, I counted at least eight different kinds of fish balls, and four or five cuts of pork. Then they weigh it to charge you, and you decide on a broth or sauce. They cook it how you want it (soup or stir fry), and you have a delicious, if pricey, meal.

As at least an occasional treat I can't recommend it highly enough.

Sounds just like FlatTop but for hot pots.

I wish there was a FlatTop close to me. That place is awesome but I think the nearest one is 45 mins away from me, if its even still there.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Pomme de Terror posted:

Gotta love the complete lack of self-awareness here

AITA for not sharing some of my sunscreen with my boyfriend?

all the best relationships have ironclad sunscreen sharing boundaries

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Unhoused people deserve more than to be somebody else's kid's Valuable Lesson. Unless OP paid them for their time, this is exactly like sentencing a bigoted kid to do community service: why did the people using the group kitchen deserve to be exposed to this bigot?

"Every once in a while I walk the streets and help the people I used to use with. I offer them resources, give them food, etc."

I imagine he did that when he took the kid along.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for wearing a robe all day and not "normal" clothes?

quote:

I cannot believe I'm writing this, but I'm actually arguing about this with my boyfriend.

Long story short, we've been dating for about 3 months, and for one reason or another we always hung out at his place. This year for Christmas neither of us went to visit family (for logistical reasons), so we thought we'd spend the weekend together at mine.

For one of the days, we purposefully planned to stay in the whole day. Ever since I was young, I've always love wearing robes at home. I have a super soft and fluffy one, and I usually layer it over my at-home closes (I basically treat my robe like a jacket). It's also extra nice because it's FREEZING where I live.

The day started out fine, but after a few hours, my bf kept giving me weird looks before he finally asked me to take my robe off and put on "normal" clothes. I asked him what he meant, because we were both basically matching except for the robe (we both had on sweatpants and a sweater. I just had the extra robe).

He said the robe made me look lazy and he "kind of hated it". It's a totally new robe, so it's not like it was shabby, so I said no. We were at home alone not expecting guests and literally doing nothing except eating snacks and watching TV. I wanted to be comfortable.

We ended up arguing about it, and it kind of ruined the day for me. We talked it over, and he said I was an AH for not willing to compromise. I told him he wasn't being fair because it was me being comfortable in my own home, and his only reasoning for not wanting me to wear it was that I looked "lazy" in it.

Also, just to be clear, I do not wear the robe in public or in front of guests!

i can't believe you won't compromise on this, by doing what i tell you to while i make no concessions whatsoever

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Shartin Mad posted:

Yea it's a thing I need more info on to decide how I really feel about it I think. If it was just 'hey son today you're coming with me on my check-ins, you can help me get these guys some food and all and we'll talk to you about what addiction is like so you understand the risk you're taking' then it's probably fine but yea if it's just 'hey Jim tell the kid about how you sucked five dicks for drug money one night, alright later, don't wanna do that do you kid????' yea it's just DARE with slightly extra steps and won't do poo poo.

It's a bit rough I think, because like someone else said this isn't some balding hotdog necked cop going 'IF YOU LOOK AT A JOINT YOU'RE GONNA DIE' but rather someone who actually went through that poo poo and at least seems to be helping his local community and all so I like to think there's more a focus on empathy than fear, but at the same time hell if I caught one of my younger cousins going nutty I'd probably also say I want them 'scared' too if I felt it would keep them from loving their lives up too. Obviously in isolation just talking to goons online it's easy for me to say 'well obviously the answer is to teach them the dangers of OVER indulging in anything frankly, and make sure they understand the risks addiction can have but the idea that the only solution is a zero-tolerance style 'a teen smoking weed? THEY'RE GONNA gently caress THEIR LIVES UP' attitude is absurd', but yea I can see how when its your kid in reality it's hard to blame a former addict from going a bit hard in the 'no seriously you need to understand how this can gently caress you up'.

I guess at the end of the day I don't think he's an 'rear end in a top hat' and the bigger issue overall is his partner who seems to associate being unhoused and an addict with inherently being dangerous but yea I don't love 'and obviously the goal was to scare him' even if he did it 'better' than poo poo like DARE would. Or maybe I'm just a sap and want to give someone I empathize with the benefit of the doubt because I know how even when you've got addiction under control it can gently caress your mind up in other ways and I'd hope in a similar situation I could handle things well myself but am not 100% sure about that.

This sucks and makes me sad someone post someone's mother in law trying to set off a bomb at their wedding because she was told she couldn't wear a full bridal gown as well or something.

I think what would be way more effective is him taking his son out often as part of volunteering, ie actually helping with a sense of purpose and not just gawking. One off shock's don't create meaningful behavioral change like day to day working with the results / incidental exposure. I worked in the funeral industry for a while and was exposed to enough results of fast motorbike riding to be a very cautious rider in a way an ogre.com page would never have achieved despite ogre being far more likely to illicit PTSD. It's one of the reasons I am completely against gore filled videos/ pictures in safety training materials.
I don't think his partner would go for that however.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I think what would be way more effective is him taking his son out often as part of volunteering, ie actually helping with a sense of purpose and not just gawking. One off shock's don't create meaningful behavioral change like day to day working with the results / incidental exposure. I worked in the funeral industry for a while and was exposed to enough results of fast motorbike riding to be a very cautious rider in a way an ogre.com page would never have achieved despite ogre being far more likely to illicit PTSD. It's one of the reasons I am completely against gore filled videos/ pictures in safety training materials.

oh come on, watching films from the 1970s with titles like BLOOD ON THE HIGHWAY was the only part of driver's ed where the kids actually stayed awake

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Foo Diddley posted:

i can't believe you won't compromise on this, by doing what i tell you to while i make no concessions whatsoever

Did this guy time travel from the 1950s when women were supposed to dress up to impress their husbands? And especially the last couple of years normalized that you actually rarely have to leave your pajamas to be a productive member of society.

Seriously, lol if you're putting on pants when you don't have to in TYOL 2022.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Batterypowered7 posted:

"Every once in a while I walk the streets and help the people I used to use with. I offer them resources, give them food, etc."

I imagine he did that when he took the kid along.
Whoops. I didn't read carefully.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 minutes!

Foo Diddley posted:

The robe's the opposite of lazy, she literally put on more clothes than you, Captain Sweatpants

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for taking my son (15) out on the streets with me to see what addiction is really like after he was caught smoking and drinking

I’m on dad’s side on this. He is coming from a place of deep empathy towards the unhoused and addicts, because he lived that lifestyle. He’s not some boomer from the suburbs dropping his kid off at Mass and Cass and telling them he’ll be back in 4 hours, he’s treating them like humans and interacting with people he knows. His wife’s attitude that the homeless are unclean and deserving of poverty is way too common and even if the kid doesn’t recognize it, having his dad’s perspective on this part of our society is valuable for him.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Plus the son is way more likely to end up as an addict due to his genetics, regardless of any talk with his dad. So this was kind of like networking at a Career Fair.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Did this guy time travel from the 1950s when women were supposed to dress up to impress their husbands? And especially the last couple of years normalized that you actually rarely have to leave your pajamas to be a productive member of society.

Seriously, lol if you're putting on pants when you don't have to in TYOL 2022.

Not that this is required to validate her choice or anything but that point in a relationship where someone's comfortable just being themselves around you? That's sexy as hell. How does this guy not see that?

Horror_Business
Jan 6, 2007

I'll put a knife right in you.

Electric Wrigglies posted:

This is it for me. My bio-dad is a massive addict, and I grew up around a lot of struggling addicts and folks in recovery. Meeting those people and their families definitely helped me from ever getting into a hardcore othering of addicts and unhoused people. It also made DARE even less effective on me than it would have been otherwise, because even 10 y/o me knew that the cop's "drugs are for bad people and will immediately kill you or turn you into a horrible human being" didn't match up to the reality I'd seen.

Dad taking kid out with him on the regular check-ins sounds like a great idea. Using the people as a cautionary tale is lovely.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Lemniscate Blue posted:

AITA for telling my late dad's ILs that their granddaughter is not my responsibility?

Block everybody.

Nevermind that as a 19 year old, there's a massive difference in taking care of a 15 year old vs. a 5 year old.

15 year olds can cook meals, get themselves up and ready for school, stay home alone while you're working without burning the house down or getting the cops called, etc.

Add a 5 year old into the mix, you get either completely turned into a parent or the 15 year old gets parentified.

Haven't these people watched Party of Five?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for changing my fiance's christmas gift last minute and causing him to be embarrassed infront of friends and family after finding out about the bet?

quote:

(f28) was finally able to save up to buy the 2k wristwarch my fiance always wanted. I planned to give it to him on christmas but I found out days prior that se peeked at it and saw it. Turns out, he had a bet with some of his friends to get me to buy him something expensive while in return all he had to get me was a "last minute gift". I was stunned and a bit hurt to discover this. So what I did was remain quiet, play nice then on chrustmas dinner with inlaws. I revealed his gift wich he thought was the 2k wristwatch but it was in fact a keychain for his honda. He was stunned to see it, even thought it was a "prank gift" and asked about the 2k wristwatch. I bluntly told him this was his gift and although it was a last mi ute gift it's still technically a gift. His face went red and was so embarrassed he couldn't say a thing infront of friends and family.

He "confronted me" about it at home and I told him why I changed the gift. He went off on me calling me petty and that the bet stuff was some guy fun and poo poo he always pulls with his friends. We had a huge huge argument and he stormed off after saying that I ruined his christmas with this stunt and embarrassed him.

AITA ??

He got me a last minute gift obviously. It was a mug. But with my "favorite color"!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
"i bet you fifty bux you can't torpedo your relationship with one christmas gift" "you're on"

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

A good ol' picky eater story. No mention of what the likes and dislikes or anything are yet.

AITA for leaving my inlaws christmas dinner after I found out that they didn't make accommodations for me?

quote:

I got invited to my fiance's family christmas celebratory dinner. It's my first christmas with them. I have always been picky about what I eat. Can't help it and it has to do with spychological factord, childhood, and personal likes and dislikes. Before accepting their invite I let FMIL know that I wouldn't be eating the traditional food at their celebration and showed her a variety of dishes to choose from to accommodate me. She refused and told me to bring my own dish. I said if I had to bring my own dish whrn I'm a guest then I better stay at home. We went back and forth and I insisted I wouldn't come if accommodations weren't being made. I just thought it was a simple request and FMIL could've agreed if she really wanted me there. My fiance agreed that I sjhould bring my own dish but I didn't.

When we arrived there and I saw that no accommodations were made, I got up, go my things and walked out and went home. My FMIL and fiance were shocked. I got tons of calls and texts from them both and my fiance came home lashing out calling me selfish and spoiled to walk out like that over a dish that his mom didn't have to make for me and that it was my responsibilty to feed myself. How is it my responsibilty to feed myself when I'm a guest? Makes no sense to me. I told him this and he accused me of starting poo poo and ruining my first christmas with his family and disrespecting his mom.

Now he's continuelly saying I hosed up and should've sucked it up for the family's sake.

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
The inlaws were perfectly happy to let her bring her own plate of chicken tendies or whatever and she still threw a fit over it, what even goes through these people's heads?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
r/relationships: spychological factord

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

PiratePrentice posted:

The inlaws were perfectly happy to let her bring her own plate of chicken tendies or whatever and she still threw a fit over it, what even goes through these people's heads?

also she could have just stayed home because she was already told that they weren't going to make a dish for her, yet she showed up and made a big show of leaving. it's almost as if it's more about the attention than the food

Shartin Mad
Nov 23, 2022

by Hand Knit
yea my husband has some food issues due to autism sensory poo poo loving with him so I'm pretty sensitive to the whole picky eater thing, but I have no idea what this lady was expecting. The mother in law said she couldn't make an extra dish, it's a holiday meal so I'm assuming she was doing a pretty decent spread so making another thing just for one person may genuinely have been impossible, but said she can bring her own food. That's pretty normal, I can say from experience it's more accommodating than some people can be by a long shot.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Another food one, even more infuriating. I'm surprised this wasn't posted yet but I checked the last few pages. Bolding mine.

AITA for cooking things I know my husband doesn't like?

quote:

I do 100% of the cooking in our home. We share other household responsibilities and I don't really mind because I enjoy cooking. We both work full time and share pretty equally in expenses. We've been married for 15 years and it seems like the list of things he doesn't like just keeps getting longer. He also insists on giving all the meals I cook "grades" despite me repeatedly asking him to stop (A=he really likes it, F=he won't eat it). I know he doesn't like curry, anything with an Indian or Chinese flavor, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, most healthy grains, squash, any meal without "enough" carbs and meat... He also won't eat leftovers.

Recently, I've decided that since he gives many of my "approved" meals grads of B- or C and doesn't seem to appreciate the time I put into preparing dinner each night that I will just cook what I like some nights. I've also been trying to cook healthier (low carb, low fat) meals some nights because we both need to eat better. Some nights it something he likes, some nights it's something I know he doesn't like. I'll tell him what we are having and if he wants to order out or make himself something else that's fine.

The other night he ordered pizza instead of trying the chicken curry dish that I made and said that if I'm cooking something he doesn't like I need to pay for the food he orders. I told him he can eat whatever he wants to, but I'm not cooking him a special meal or paying for his takeout. He says I'm being an rear end in a top hat and even got his mother involved. My MIL said she would never cook something for dinner that she knew her husband didn't like - for the record, since my FIL retired he does all of the cooking.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Mods change my name

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I'm kind of a picky eater - there are textures I am so averse to I immediately gag and get really anxious about food. I actually find it pretty inconvenient because I like almost all flavours and try really hard to be open (and I really hate inconveniencing others).

I was on a business trip recently with a large number of catered meals that either had stuff I knew I was weird about or unknown variables and I either brought snacks with me or ordered my own meal that I just paid for because I'm not the main character and it's not everyone else's job to deal with that poo poo. If we're going to relative's for holidays I sure as gently caress make several dishes of my own that others are likely to enjoy as well. What a baby.

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 29, 2022

Shartin Mad
Nov 23, 2022

by Hand Knit

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Another food one, even more infuriating. I'm surprised this wasn't posted yet but I checked the last few pages. Bolding mine.

gotta kill him, not even in the funny acid bath joke way you gotta put glass in his food like in Oz

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 minutes!

A good ol' picky eater story. No mention of what the likes and dislikes or anything are yet.

AITA for leaving my inlaws christmas dinner after I found out that they didn't make accommodations for me?

What a way to kick off the first Christmas with the in laws, lol. I really want to know more about the dinner, when they mentioned "traditional" my mind immediately went to some type of ethnic food, although I guess it could apply to the general big feasts a lot of folks do in the US.

Also,

sephiRoth IRA posted:

:hmmyes:

Shartin Mad
Nov 23, 2022

by Hand Knit

Captain Hygiene posted:

What a way to kick off the first Christmas with the in laws, lol. I really want to know more about the dinner, when they mentioned "traditional" my mind immediately went to some type of ethnic food, although I guess it could apply to the general big feasts a lot of folks do in the US.

Also,

:hmmyes:

okay good I'm not the only one who's mind went to 'by 'traditional' does this person mean 'not white'?'

I'm Jewish so I'm not 100% sure but just off media poo poo and general being an American who grew up around Christians and all it seems like most traditional western Christmas meals are fairly...normal? Turkey or ham or beef, some kinds of potatoes, veggies, some nice bread or rolls or something, that stuff. I know food issues can be lots of things so I know those can all possibly trigger them depending how they're made and all but it feels like most people would be able to find at least a little something in those kinds of spreads?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Recently, I've decided that since he gives many of my "approved" meals grads of B- or C
Start treating cooking like a mandatory freshmen elective - screw working hard to get an A+, let’s half rear end this and do just enough to pass. C’s equal degrees!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Why are so many men like this

I absolutely do not understand the learned helplessness some dudes have about cooking, it just doesn’t add up to me

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Find the fanciest cloche you can at an estate sale, and serve this person divorce papers.

The worst part may be that the reddit comments are all just variations of telling her to cook what she wants. That is a serious underreaction to a partner that clearly has zero respect for her.

Shartin Mad
Nov 23, 2022

by Hand Knit

rotinaj posted:

I absolutely do not understand the learned helplessness some dudes have about cooking, it just doesn’t add up to me

mommy did it for them and now they have a new mommy why would they ever have to learn?

I'll always be grateful to my mom for teaching me how to cook young.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for telling my parents to not come over again?

quote:

I (35F) have two beautiful daughters (6F and 4F) with my wife (37F). We live far away from both our families so we can only pay them a visit during the holidays.

Now to be clear, my parents never 'loved' my wife the way they accept and spoil my BILs and SILs. It has nothing to do with my sexuality. There was no big conflict or anything but they just don't really get along. Everyone in my side of the family is loud and warm and friendly and my wife is more of a reserved person who often keeps things professional and doesn't get too close to many people.

This year, my parents insisted that they've never seen our house ever since we got married and suggested that they should come over. I discussed it with my wife and she agreed to have them over. So they came.

Like I expected, they felt comfortable pretty soon. My wife has a home office, and she goes there when she needs to take care of something work-related from home. She's pretty strict with her rule of not letting anyone in that room except me. Housekeepers or guests are not allowed to go inside. We lock it when we have a housekeeper over but our kids know not to go in there so we don't lock it when it's only family.

So when my parents were looking around our house, they went into that room and messed up some of the documents she set up. She noticed, asked my parents to please not do that and let it go. I know her enough to be able to tell she was extremely upset but didn't let it show.

The next day, I woke up to see my mom coming out of that room. I confronted her and asked her what she was doing. She said she was just a little curious. I said she was disrespecting me by doing something my wife specifically asked her not to do. She said it was not a big deal and that my wife needed to relax and not take herself so seriously all the time. I told her to take that back but she didn't and added that I encouraged my wife's childish behaviour by being on her side and that she was tired of tolerating my wife's attitude whenever she was around.

I told her for lord's sake we only see each other once in a few months at most and if that's bothering her so much I can arrange for her to stay at a hotel right now and they should never come over again.

She took my offer and left with my dad. My siblings have been bombarding me with messages that I was too harsh and disrespectful towards mom and that I should apologise. I don't know if I'm in the wrong but if I am, please tell me.

yeah, it's OP's wife who's being childish, not the people who go out of their way to repeatedly violate the ONE boundary that's been set

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
She was desperately looking for a good reason to treat the wife like poo poo.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

rotinaj posted:

It's hilarious that the FIL just cooks his own food now that he's retired after I assume 30 years of dealing with the MIL's cooking.

The implication being the MIL is a hypocritical piece of poo poo, a terrible cook, and or the son is likely a disgrace to the FIL since he won't even learn himself.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

She was desperately looking for a good reason to treat the wife like poo poo.

She was hoping she would find something shocking like drugs or secret booze or something that could justify why she is not allowed in there

Couldn’t just be that it’s a literal home office and they are loving up the wife’s work by going in there and randomly moving things around, perish the thought

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

rotinaj posted:

She was hoping she would find something shocking like drugs or secret booze or something that could justify why she is not allowed in there

Couldn’t just be that it’s a literal home office and they are loving up the wife’s work by going in there and randomly moving things around, perish the thought

hidden trapdoor under the desk that leads to the lesbian sex dungeon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

She should start grading his sexual performances