Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

vyelkin posted:

hearing a bunch of anti-bail stuff right now in real life conversations with people I know because it's all over the news right now that crimes are sometimes committed by people out on bail, I expect this to be the next big tough-on-crime talking point

Is this a bleed over from the US. New York and Illinois have had bail reform fights so a lot of the local news in two of the biggest eastern media markets is close coverage of every crime committed by anyone on bail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

COPE 27 posted:

I'm mad about crime so we should put people in jail that haven't been convicted of any crime yet iamverysmart.jpg

I'm certainly not very smart but it's very cynical to say the problem is federal bail laws when there's much more to it than that.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

Is this a bleed over from the US. New York and Illinois have had bail reform fights so a lot of the local news in two of the biggest eastern media markets is close coverage of every crime committed by anyone on bail.

Probably, yeah. There's sufficient crossover between our media ecosystems that US talking points inevitably make their way up here, and when some Canadian news has relevance to US talking points (like, for example, someone on bail for firearms charges killing a police officer) the country basically gets dropped straight into the middle of a preexisting culture war without any organic buildup.

Another Bill posted:

I'm certainly not very smart but it's very cynical to say the problem is federal bail laws when there's much more to it than that.

you obviously know this already, but it's because the feds are liberals and the province is conservative. Obviously we can't say the problem is the tough on crime conservatives in Toronto so the problem must be the soft on crime liberals in Ottawa because those are the only two options

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I mean it will be cynically used by LPC to prop up their gun control measures, but also if you aren’t from southern Ontario, the racial element is a big part of it.

Both insofar as the liberally inclined media has made no mention of Randall McKenzie’s ethnicity, and that the right wing is champing at the bit to. Hagersville is 15 minutes down the road from Caledonia, for the unaware, with the reserves in between.

It’s not my place to get into all that, only that things between the OPP and first nations in the area haven’t been great, and between the local bumpkins and natives even less so. The killing of a Constable, and reactions to it has an unmistakable racial element.

It’s like a perfect storm of things that would outrage people outside the city. Const. Pierzchala was a Militia Officer too, so they’ll probably be a combined military/police funeral. His Regiment bears honours for the NW Rebellion, so the amount of State/Crown symbols at the funeral as a juxtaposition to “lawlessness”, I mean, it really is a constellation of not-great things.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 20:37 on Dec 29, 2022

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Atrocious Joe posted:

Media in Vancouver already highlights "crime committed by guy on bail" big time when they can find it and the media manufactured it into a major issue in the recent municipal election. It's absolutely sure to be a BC Liberal talking point in the next election.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I hate to say it, but bail is much preferable to him being out on a healing lodge or sentencing circle.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Frosted Flake posted:

I hate to say it, but bail is much preferable to him being out on a healing lodge or sentencing circle.

Can I ask what you mean? Bail and sentencing are two completely different parts of the process. Was he on bail awaiting appeal or something?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah I'd like a clarification on that point as well. The only other people I see making a comparison to Indigenous healing lodges are using it to couch some racist language. I don't think you're doing that but I'd like you to elaborate.

Speaking of bail...

https://twitter.com/ah_farsoud/status/1608619511279939585

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Can we at least pretend to presume innocent until proven guilty?

If this girl killed someone prove it at trial and then sentence her appropriately.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
well, sure, but this is commentary from a "frustrated bridge player, Bills fan, Jays fan.", reposted from twitter

we're a collection of idiots discussing the news, and more to the point, this is cspam, idk what you expect for decorum here

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Farsoud is the guy who made the news a few months back for being approved for MAiD for chronic pain and because he was going to be evicted.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the bail system and I don't think that's the point he was trying to make (it's certainly not why I shared the tweet). The point about how the circumstances might be different if the victim wasn't an unhoused person is salient, I think. Further, not to construct a strawman but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts most of the people complaining about McKenzie's bail situation don't give a similarly-sized poo poo about the murder of a homeless person.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

COPE 27 posted:

Can we at least pretend to presume innocent until proven guilty?

If this girl killed someone prove it at trial and then sentence her appropriately.

no, gently caress off

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

My point is that if you think people are outraged that the person who killed an OPP Constable literally on the road to Caledonia was out on bail, the outrage would be many times worse if they had been under an alternative arrangement for indigenous people

It’s bad enough a native person is involved, it could be much worse

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

How about people shouldn't be in jail unless they were convicted of a crime

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

People who kill cops = typically innocent of misdemeanours and lesser felonies

:thunk:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I see what you meant now, I didn't follow you.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

COPE 27 posted:

How about people shouldn't be in jail unless they were convicted of a crime

while broadly true when you're pretty sure someone is a psychotic murderer sometimes it's worth holding them until their trial date so that they don't just go murder more people

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
Some shithead teenager who helped murder a homeless person because they interrupted them stealing booze or whatever isn't really a huge flight or violent risk. She's not a serial killer, there's not really any reason to hold her in the mean time.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
the real problem is the justice system can take years to prosecute someone from arrest to sentencing and it's getting worse

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

This is Saskatchewan racist uncle level dude.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

DariusLikewise posted:

the real problem is the justice system can take years to prosecute someone from arrest to sentencing and it's getting worse

It's absurd.

The Jordan framework is

quote:

At the heart of this new framework is a presumptive ceiling beyond which delay — from the charge to the actual or anticipated end of trial — is presumed to be unreasonable, unless exceptional circumstances justify it. The presumptive ceiling is 18 months for cases tried in the provincial court, and 30 months for cases in the superior court (or cases tried in the provincial court after a preliminary inquiry). Delay attributable to or waived by the defence does not count towards the presumptive ceiling.

So 18 months in most cases, but the clock only starts when charges are laid. The cops could spend a year or more investigating charges first, and then any defence delays don't count toward the 18 month number.

Basically, its not unrealistic that from being suspected by the police to having your name cleared in court or sentenced that the whole process could take 3 1/2 years. Sometimes more.

e: This is also why some people don't fight for bail, because 'dead time' spent in jail waiting trail often gets a 1.5x credit towards your sentence.

Another Bill has issued a correction as of 15:59 on Dec 30, 2022

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Cromulent_Chill posted:

This is Saskatchewan racist uncle level dude.

I think he means as far as how it would look. "Guy doing traditional rehabilitation uses opportunity to do more crimes" well guess what, no more sweat lodges or healing circles- or at least you'll get the real Saskatchewan uncles going, "You see?"

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Futanari Damacy posted:

I think he means as far as how it would look. "Guy doing traditional rehabilitation uses opportunity to do more crimes" well guess what, no more sweat lodges or healing circles- or at least you'll get the real Saskatchewan uncles going, "You see?"

Yah I can see that and that point should have been fleshed out by FF whose past rake stepping doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt to be frank.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Whereas I'm of the mind that such intentionally bad faith readings don't serve any purpose so my mind never even went there.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I cannot imagine living in This Country and looking at These Politics and still having the audacity to expect everyone to have Good Faith

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I mean yes, that is the problem- people intentionally being a gently caress whenever given the chance, at all levels

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

You are what you post. If posters don't want to be assumed to have bad opinions about marginalized people, then they shouldn't have a history of doing that. I'd rather be called too assumptive.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
:rolleyes:

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

no, gently caress off

I doubt all 8 girls actually stabbed the guy, the point of charging them all was to get some of them to flip on the ones that did and that is likely what happened here.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

:allears:

My bad opinion of marginalized people is that it’s good that we avoided something that would have likely forestalled hope for a resolution to the Caledonia land dispute for another generation.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

:allears:

My bad opinion of marginalized people is that it’s good that we avoided something that would have likely forestalled hope for a resolution to the Caledonia land dispute for another generation.

I'd wished you had explained the original remark in more depth as I've heard similar stayements with bad intent. I also wish I didn't jump to conclusions so easily and I wish I could easily accept people at face value without suspicion.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It’s all good, any number of Canadian news stories are going to have Ford Nation out for blood, all you can do is :justpost:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Cromulent_Chill posted:

I'd wished you had explained the original remark in more depth as I've heard similar stayements with bad intent. I also wish I didn't jump to conclusions so easily and I wish I could easily accept people at face value without suspicion.

lol at posting like this in cspam

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

E: nvm, OP already clarified

Talking with Ford Nation types (i.e. anyone who reads Warmington etc.) is a waste of time

Isentropy has issued a correction as of 18:58 on Dec 30, 2022

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

We got to the bottom of our issue without mods, that is the cspam advantage.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

StealthArcher posted:

The D&Dest rear end CSPAM thread continues it's streak

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Remember how a jail killed someone who was being detained illegally less than a week ago

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Thankfully the Michaels are sleeping safe and sound tucked in tight to their homey beds at CSIS headquarters.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

RBC posted:

Thankfully the Michaels are sleeping safe and sound tucked in tight to their homey beds at CSIS headquarters.

They are absolutely sleeping in a bunk bed in that offset L configuration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I like to think they're in two twin beds next to each other like Ernie and Bert.