Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Waste of Breath posted:

"Keep"?

We already hit the apex with schlooter. Blobber is positively pleasant (not to be confused with Bloober, which is just bad).

Still waiting for gaming's equivalent to Jizz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Runa posted:

Okay, vanilla MW5 might have been justifiably ignored but post-dlc Career mode with mods hasn't just gripped me, it command grabbed me with Raging Demon and I am defeated

Years of all the free games in the world couldn't convince me to download egs but access to the mw5 modding tools to make my own custom portraits did the trick.

Yep. It's good now folks

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I initially thought it was very good but it eventually became an utter slog. it really thinks you’ll love its basic, boring combat against way too many bugs with about four times as much HP as they should have and respawn about four times as quickly as they should. maybe it’s better on easy difficulty, but on normal I was pretty shocked at how much of the game is just really floaty & bad combat against endlessly respawning sponges

You should have played on easy ("mild"), the normal difficulty is tuned for co-op, on easy it has a fairly standard difficulty curve and the weapon upgrades push back on the sponginess.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Steam's got you covered!

Waste of Breath fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 30, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

How's the MW5 co-op campaign?

Demnos
Aug 30, 2022

ShadowMar posted:

edit: i haven't played it yet but i've heard good things about Undernauts: Labyrinth of Yomi

Played through Undernauts: Labyrinth of Yomi recently and it was completely forgettable. The story is a watered down SMT: Strange Journey and there's nothing new or innovative to be found.

I autobattled my way through the entire game barring maybe two bosses in the end game where I spent a turn casting buffs and then autobattled.

Honestly, save your money. It's one of the worst dungeon crawlers I've played in a long time and is super expensive as well.

IMHO, Zanki Zero: Last Beginning is better, cheaper, and more fun. It's still not a great game, but might scratch the blobber itch. The story feels a bit like the Zero Escape series of games and it has a pretty unique mechanic where when a character dies from something, they gain immunity or resistance to whatever killed them.

Demnos fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 30, 2022

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Max Wilco posted:

Is Red Dead Redemption 2 worth picking up? I played RDR1 several years ago, and I didn't hate it, but I didn't care for it as much as I did the GTA games. I don't recall a lot of particulars from it, but it seemed like the game was really padded, with a lot of time spent traveling between locations for missions, with not a whole lot to do between missions.

The reviews for it are all pretty positive, but a look at the Discussion forums show a lot of recent topics with people having issues launching the game. I've also heard the Online for it is pretty rough, with Rockstar not providing a lot of support (hackers, far fewer expansions than GTA5, and some sort of security issue, from what I recall hearing).

Something else to note about RDR2 that I think everybody needs to know before they start is that the plot is the single most continuously depressing story ever made in a video game. It's not fun grimdark Warhammer 40k style depression, either. It is 70 hours of your character unsuccessfully struggling through a miserable, cynical, nihilistic world where quite literally nothing ever, ever improves or works out at any point. I felt like I was was watching the main character lose an uphill battle for, again, over 70 hours.

...and then he died. Was there any redemption or victory in his death? Nope. He died miserable, defeated, and broken. The End.

It was so bad that I had to force myself to beat the game, mostly due to sunk cost fallacy, just because I wanted to get it over with and never have the desire to play it again to “see what happens.” I put it down the *instant* the credits rolled and never picked it back up again despite having a ton of fun wandering around RDR1 after the credits rolled in that game. If you like that feeling of pure strain futility, then go for it. If not, well, you've been warned.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 30, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

explosivo posted:

It's drop in for players 2-4. You can control their mechlab access but otherwise you all just go do it to it. Very stable and works great. It's super cool having your own signature mechs you settle on

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

explosivo posted:

If you mean the mercenary mode from the Heroes of the Inner Sphere DLC then with the caveat that everything’s better in co-op I think it’s pretty good, though if you only have 2 or 3 people someone’s still going to have to order AI pilots around. There’s definitely a ceiling of “fun” in the base game where after that everything is basically the same repeating missions against mostly the same enemies. The Kestrel Lancers DLC adds longer and much harder mission chains to the mercenary mode but I think it’s the good kind of hard. The tricky thing is that it’s time limited so you only get so long to prepare for it until you can’t start it any more. You can get around that though because you can reset the mercenary campaign at any time and go back to the start of the timeline with almost everything you had. The Call to Arms DLC is way overpriced for what it is but unfortunately a lot of mods need it to work properly.

Speaking of mods once you’re used to the base campaign (and if you want to play more) it becomes much better with some of the bigger overhaul/addition mods. They expand the the mech lab and customization, expand the pilot system, add entirely new weapons, new mech variants and mechs, new missions, and new environments. I think only the host needs to own the DLC but don’t quote me on that.

There’s another DLC dated for January which if the past is any indication will also be needed for mod updates once it’s released.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

RBA Starblade posted:

It's drop in for players 2-4. You can control their mechlab access but otherwise you all just go do it to it. Very stable and works great. It's super cool having your own signature mechs you settle on

Sounds fun, thanks. Might try to drag a friend into trying this out since it's on Gamepass.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

repiv posted:

I'm a fan of how the Steam app intercepts all Steam URLs but if it wasn't already running in the background it just loads to the Steam frontpage, so you have to go back and click the link again for it to actually go there

It's been like that since the redesign

It was consistently like this after the new app released, but it's actually working correctly for a few weeks now. Maybe check if there are any updates for the app?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

explosivo posted:

Sounds fun, thanks. Might try to drag a friend into trying this out since it's on Gamepass.

Oh, in that case I imagine mods are out.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kibayasu posted:

Oh, in that case I imagine mods are out.

Nope!
https://twitter.com/MW5Mercs/status/1268580112078786561

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

GreatGreen posted:

Something else to note about RDR2 that I think everybody needs to know before they start is that the plot is the single most continuously depressing story I've ever encountered in a video game.
To be fair, slight spoilers ahead:

the story is concerned with the Death of the 'Wild West' in the sense the protagonist 's compatriots/leader know it. A frontier that lets anyone just kind of strike out with minimal oversight, living off the land, their wits, their lack of morality. The encroachment of society on wild spaces, increasing federal oversight of places, all contribute to squeezing out and smoothing over the roughness of the West that they love and idealize. And a growing distrust/destabilization of the guy in charge and the cohesion of the group mirrors this change and loss.

Arthur Morgan is caught in the middle, trying to keep the group together, trying to believe in the vision of Dutch, trying to keep his head above the rising waters. He comes to a personal reckoning as the karma of his actions catch up to him.

I didn't myself find it that depressing --hell, I played through it during the quarantines. Rather it seemed a good story about a dude at the end of an era trying to make his death count for something or attempt to atone for the arc of his life in whatever small ways he can.
It dovetails nicely with the story in RDR, and in the end kind of posits that as much as you may try to get away from the past, the kind of lawlessness and moral darkness of the west is a generational poison that's difficult to mend

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 30, 2022

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That’s good! Still probably issues depending on which if any DLC the Gamepass version has but if you do mod anything major the Nexus pages usually have older versions of mods which hopefully work without the newer DLC. I can suggest a few of the mods I’ve played with friends if you’re ever interested.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

Something else to note about RDR2 that I think everybody needs to know before they start is that the plot is the single most continuously depressing story ever made in a video game.

not even close, and you either hosed up the ending or completely failed to understand it

e: if you want a real exercise in miserable futility then give plague tale requiem a spin

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 30, 2022

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Those are the Leisure Suit Larry games

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Oscar Wild posted:

Those are the Leisure Suit Larry games

Schlong'em-up

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I wanted to read what people were saying about Gotham Knights now that it's been out for a little over a month and apparently they put out a patch for the PC version weeks ago that introduced a poo poo ton of crashes that still hasn't been fixed, it's like every post in the steam forum for the game. Powerful "DO NOT BUY" energy from that game even for -50%.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

explosivo posted:

I wanted to read what people were saying about Gotham Knights now that it's been out for a little over a month and apparently they put out a patch for the PC version weeks ago that introduced a poo poo ton of crashes that still hasn't been fixed, it's like every post in the steam forum for the game. Powerful "DO NOT BUY" energy from that game even for -50%.

Even if it functioned as intended, it looks like total tripe to me. What a weird loving direction to take the games after the Arkham series was so fluid and tightly designed.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Tried Astronarch from the Humble Bundle and I beat it on the first try. It's an auto battle Slay the Spire. There is an Ascension mode just like in STS. I think it's okay if you like auto battlers, you can get some nice build synergies between your party members.

I'll keep playing Slay the Spire and Monster Train though.

err fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 30, 2022

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm officially old, there's a beautiful atmospheric pure platformer I want to recommend for the sale but I can't for the life of me remember the name

Time to go keyword search until it pops up :v:

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

victrix posted:

I'm officially old, there's a beautiful atmospheric pure platformer I want to recommend for the sale but I can't for the life of me remember the name

Time to go keyword search until it pops up :v:

Ori?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gris?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Blurb3947 posted:

There's a lot of exposition while traveling but I enjoyed aimless traveling much more in RDR2 than any other Rockstar game. It's incredible how detailed the game is. The story and presentation are top notch for games too.

Cojawfee posted:

RDR2 is not a game you can just pop into and do stuff, you need to have a few hours free. It will take a few minutes to get where the mission starts from, it will take a few minutes to travel to where the mission happens. When you're doing the mission, there might be a boundary that you can't leave or you automatically fail. It's a very slow paced game, but it rewards you by looking so amazing.

I guess that's what has me split; on one hand, the slow pace is something that I would probably find really tedious at times when I just want to get to the action. On the other hand, sometimes I like it when games are a bit more laid back, and RDR2 seems a lot more visually interesting than RDR1 was (I remember RDR1 being mostly open desert areas with a couple of small towns).

FilthyImp posted:

the story is concerned with the Death of the 'Wild West' in the sense the protagonist 's compatriots/leader know it. A frontier that lets anyone just kind of strike out with minimal oversight, living off the land, their wits, their lack of morality. The encroachment of society on wild spaces, increasing federal oversight of places, all contribute to squeezing out and smoothing over the roughness of the West that they love and idealize. And a growing distrust/destabilization of the guy in charge and the cohesion of the group mirrors this change and loss.

Arthur Morgan is caught in the middle, trying to keep the group together, trying to believe in the vision of Dutch, trying to keep his head above the rising waters. He comes to a personal reckoning as the karma of his actions catch up to him.

I didn't myself find it that depressing --hell, I played through it during the quarantines. Rather it seemed a good story about a dude at the end of an era trying to make his death count for something or attempt to atone for the arc of his life in whatever small ways he can.
It dovetails nicely with the story in RDR, and in the end kind of posits that as much as you may try to get away from the past, the kind of lawlessness and moral darkness of the west is a generational poison that's difficult to mend

I don't know what all transpires in the story, but I got a general impression of what transpires based on a few things I read/heard about, and the fact that it's a prequel to RDR1 (which also ended on a kind of depressing note). It sounds like it's more in the vein of something like Unforgiven rather than some more light-hearted like... I dunno, Shane? (I haven't seen many westerns). It does seem like it can get very dreary at points, so it might not be the ideal thing to play if you're going through a rough patch. Overall, though, it sounds like there's a optimistic element to it.

Plus, it's a Rockstar game, so if the game does give you a somber mission, you can always wreak havoc in the open world afterwards :v:

-

The other games that I was looking at were some of the 'joke/meme' games like Kill It With Fire, Powerwash Simulator, Thief Simulator, and House Flipper. I've seen gameplay of House Flipper and Powerwash Simulator, and they seem pretty relaxing. Kill it With Fire seems fun, but Thief Simulator I'm not too familiar with. House Flipper also has a sequel that's coming out next year, so maybe it's better to just wait for that.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Nope

2d, platformer, female protagonist, indie

That narrows it down to *checks list*

Yep

(You play as a girl trying to find her partner who falls into some kind of sci fi vault, there's one jump button and that's it, no items/xp/mechanics, jumping only - very stark visual style, very atmospheric - lots of angry red laser beams and crushers)

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

That's a better guess

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

victrix posted:

Nope

Yep

(You play as a girl trying to find her partner who falls into some kind of sci fi vault, there's one jump button and that's it, no items/xp/mechanics, jumping only - very stark visual style, very atmospheric - lots of angry red laser beams and crushers)

hmmmmm

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

GreatGreen posted:

It was so bad that I had to force myself to beat the game, mostly due to sunk cost fallacy, just because I wanted to get it over with and never have the desire to play it again to “see what happens.” I put it down the *instant* the credits rolled and never picked it back up again despite having a ton of fun wandering around RDR1 after the credits rolled in that game. If you like that feeling of pure strain futility, then go for it. If not, well, you've been warned.

This is possibly a dumb question, but uh spoilers there is a coda chapter, did you play that? I think it's supposed to provide a little more closure, at least.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My 2022 replay spiderweb has the "lovecraftian" tag which only exists on one bad game I played for 4 hours, and does not have "farming" which exists on two games I played for >200 hours.

victrix posted:

Nope

Yep

System purge? https://store.steampowered.com/app/1515490/System_Purge/

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Serephina posted:

GSB1 had a campaign?

More like a sort of auto challenge thing. People who played campaign matches had their fleets moved into the encounter pool. But it is straight busted when I tried it yesterday. Shame I was looking to recommend something to my dad that isn't playing Master of Orion 2 again.

Also that steam best seller thing hides titles you ignored. So I was wondering what everyone was talking about with the platinum tier until I opened that link in a private window.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

victrix posted:

Nope

Yep

INSIDE?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

FilthyImp posted:

Don’t get me wrong, the symbolism in the game and Arthur’s place in history, not to mention his character being almost a direct analog of the era in which he lives, wasn’t lost on me. And I also appreciated the depth and quality of the writing, along with a lot of the game’s characters for who they were and what they represented as well, and how they all played off each other.

But I still thought the experience of playing through the story was too depressing. Too much of a slog, especially as the story moves closer to its conclusion. And I even like bleak stories a lot of the time. I don’t necessarily want all flowers and rainbows and I don’t know anybody who would. But again, RDR2’s main storyline is over 70 hours long. 70+ hours of Things Starting Out Bad And Only Ever Getting Worse is a lot to ask of your audience with minimal relief.

Admittedly, the shift to John Marston’s perspective at the end of Arthur’s arc was a huge improvement to the game’s tone, but by that point it seemed like wasted effort because the damage had been done. Actually the tonal shift was so blatant that it felt like an admission from the developers that they knew what they’d done, like they presented that part of the game as an apology of sorts, which felt all the more insulting, as if it was a cheap consolation prize jangled in front of our faces to try and distract us from everything previous.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Dec 30, 2022

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

victrix posted:

Nope

Yep

Is this the one where you're playing as a spacesuit with your wearer inside you?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Yes!

That's the one

Play that, one button platform lovers

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

victrix posted:

Yes!

That's the one

Play that, one button platform lovers

You weren't lying, looks like a poo poo load of red lasers in that there hellscape

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Jarvisi posted:

Is this the one where you're playing as a spacesuit with your wearer inside you?

This is probably not the game you're referring to but In Other Waters was like that, and it was neat if not particularly exciting.

You play as the AI inside an alien diving suit that a stranded astronaut found and you have to manipulate all the weird alien glyphs and things that control the suit to help them along.

It's also about a girl trying to find her partner in weird sci-fi vaults IIRC

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

no this is the other game where you're a suit wandering around in a vault trying to get help for their partner

https://store.steampowered.com/app/290770/The_Fall/ :v:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

victrix posted:

Nope

Yep

Also this, though it's not a game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIES3ii-IOg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Yep. It's good now folks

I'm still in shambles at how good this is

Especially in co-op. Which works. With mods.