Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

goferchan posted:

Ongoing effects disabled? Some other aura giving them -1? He definitely does

might have been the location, but I figure I would have caught that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

If you tap on a card, you can see in the zoomed-in view all the factors that are contributing to its current power.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

doingitwrong posted:

I liked when Bar Sinister was a featured location because it was a game of chicken. You could queue up a big combo but they might shut you down with Green Goblin. But if you went early with a 2 or 3, they could end up with their side full of GG or maybe they could play their own big combo.

This is exactly what Nightcrawler is for. You load up Bar with him and then when you want to make your play, you move them aside. The beauty to this is that you don't have to get a full board of clones for your power play either, you can split it to like 2 and 2 if you want.

For maximum "go gently caress yourself" you move one aside to put Wong on there on 4, move 2 for an on reveal devastator (you're getting 4 hits here so it's almost like you filled it up once anyway) on 5 and coup de grace, move that last nightcrawler out on turn 6 to drop Odin and gently caress them up with an 8x on reveal combo.

I can't believe they let me get this off. Zero board presence except for one drop on turns 3 through 6 into Dark Dimension. Hell, I snapped turn 3 after Death's Domain revealed and I pulled Mystique. I thought about dropping Wasp but I wanted the perfect symmetry.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Bait the snap with t5 wave and......

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I started playing like three or four days ago and I'm already at level 125

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Derank from 91 to 88 with surfer with straight losses, go back up to 91 with straight ramp wins vs people running sandman. If people are this teched against surfer I guess I should listen.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I keep hovering around like 61 and can't move forward but we'll see. I haven't been pushing that hard and been messing around with new decks and cards. If I get close to 70, I might get a little sweaty and push for it (like wise if I drop off too much I'll push to maintain 60) but otherwise I feel like I finished in a decent position this season.

King of the Cosmos
Jun 6, 2004

Maybe We'll invent a Cosmic Esperanto.
Wanted to try another deck out and opened Arnim Zola the other day. I decided to take a crack at a Storm-Black Panther-Zola deck and I am crushing it. It's not even old but it seems people have forgotten about it. No Cosmo in sight and I'm golden.

I just had a game where I snapped on Turn 2 and my curve was Storm on 3, Forge on 4 on the flooding lane, BP on 5 and Zola on 6. The Patriot deck I was facing foolishly filled the Washington D.C. location thinking they had it wrapped up. Well they had no way to stop me and my 24 power Panthers took their eight cubes.

I didn't even draw Wong or Brood, which can be huge swings on their own.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Okay what the gently caress happened here?

T4: I play Wave
T5: I play Leader, Opponent plays Magneto on right lane, my Leader copies it.
Grand Central then plays opponent's Leader, who proceeds to copy my Leader three times? How did that happen?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I think they mis-used their free 6 point Raft card here...

Only time I think you'll ever see a Widow's Bite beat Galactus.

Edit: ^^ Leader has some very hosed up poo poo happen when you both play him. I think Grand Central counts as "Turn 5" which is why the Leader that was pulled in there copied your Turn 5 Leader.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
You played Leader, your opponent's Leader reveals and copies your Leader, which reveals and copies your Leader, which reveals and copies your...

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I feel the a nice chance to progression levels is to boost the 50 Credits to 100 up to level 490 THEN at 502 you get 50 Collector Tokens to build up for whatever you need. Also the boosters are universal boosters you can use on anyone.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Zodack posted:

You played Leader, your opponent's Leader reveals and copies your Leader, which reveals and copies your Leader, which reveals and copies your...

Holy crap, Lois, this is just like the time I played Odin in Bar Sinister. Worst mistake of my life.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Tender Bender posted:

Okay what the gently caress happened here?

T4: I play Wave
T5: I play Leader, Opponent plays Magneto on right lane, my Leader copies it.
Grand Central then plays opponent's Leader, who proceeds to copy my Leader three times? How did that happen?

Your leader went first and copied the card he played that turn.

His leader revealed and copied the card you played this turn (Leader)
...which revealed and copied the card you played this turn (still Leader)
...which revealed and copied the card you played this turn (still Leader)

...which revealed but there was no slot left in the location you played your card.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Zodack posted:

Ah, okay, I've double-leadered before but never encountered the asynchronous version (because my Leader played and resolved, before theirs then was played by Grand Central which I guess is the same turn even though it says "after turn 5")

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Another inconsistent thing is that I feel like if Wolverine gets hit by Yondu, he should go to the board. I guess it's something about his power not being actived until he's in hand, but it doesn't say that anywhere

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Opopanax posted:

Another inconsistent thing is that I feel like if Wolverine gets hit by Yondu, he should go to the board. I guess it's something about his power not being actived until he's in hand, but it doesn't say that anywhere

Yah that bugged me too. Ditto other guys like Deadpool, Apocalypse, Sabretooth etc.. It would be kind of funny if it turned bucky from a 2/1 to a 3/6 as well.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Opopanax posted:

imo that's fine, but Yondu shouldn't also count for Death Discount. It says Remove, not Destroy!! Does he also work on the new card's "power of all destroyed cards" effect?

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Sigh, got my new Variant...and it's baby Black Cat. Thanks, game. Was it too much to ask for a new Cosmo to go with Dino?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I think my draw rates on Mr. Negative by turn 4 are like 30%, and my first draw is always sunspot (Ironman always in opening hand or never drawn)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Ninurta posted:

Sigh, got my new Variant...and it's baby Black Cat. Thanks, game. Was it too much to ask for a new Cosmo to go with Dino?

I have that Cosmo variant. It's dope.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Quackles posted:

I have that Cosmo variant. It's dope.

Yeah, Cosmo can go gently caress himself, but I do enjoy that art.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

the_steve posted:

Yeah, Cosmo can go gently caress himself, but I do enjoy that art.

Cosmo is a good boy. Unlike Leech and Leader, he requires consideration beyond just slam and jam. Gotta have a good sense of where your opponent wants to play their big On Reveal cards, and you gotta make sure you don't accidentally lose the game by shutting down your own.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
it is funny how powerful tech cards are in this game, I understand why considering how powerful combo is and the opportunity cost of a card in a such small decks, but on the other hand gently caress every t6 Killmonger I've ran into since I finally put together a decent weenie deck

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Studio posted:

imo that's fine, but Yondu shouldn't also count for Death Discount. It says Remove, not Destroy!! Does he also work on the new card's "power of all destroyed cards" effect?

Yes, and so does Lamentis-1.

the_steve posted:

Yeah, it's fun.
I put Bucky and Carnage down on it once, which gave me 3 Winter Soldiers and an 8 power Carnage when all was said and done.

Not spectacular, but it won me the location and racked up some kills for my Death card.

That's honestly incredibly weak even for that deck. I got Bar Sinister last night while knocking off a "Play 10 1-cost cards" mission with Deathpool. Turn 5 I played a buffed Deadpool and Venom into the Bar and ended up with a 120-power Venom. I did have Arnim Zola in hand, but sadly my opponent retreated before turn 6.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Studio posted:

They really need to fix these. Morbius works when he's in your hand, but Collector needs to be on the board. And Kraven activates for every card moved, not just the ones on his side.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Cosmo is a good boy. Unlike Leech and Leader, he requires consideration beyond just slam and jam. Gotta have a good sense of where your opponent wants to play their big On Reveal cards, and you gotta make sure you don't accidentally lose the game by shutting down your own.

Agreed, even though I've had an awful run of people dropping Cosmo on turn 3 into empty lanes to bust up my plays. Non-bots. Part of an awful 4 rank drop. The predominant theme in my 4 rank drop is me ignoring what is increasingly well established: matchmaking for people still working through pool 3 is toxic garbage outside of peak hours. Over a period of an hour I managed to win three games. By an amazing coincidence (?), two of those wins came in the two games where a location popped to swap hands/decks.

The last loss was just gutting. Had a great board set up and my best finishing combo of cards in hand (Red Skull and Task Master), so I snapped. Opponent drops psylock (don't have it) turn 4 into a lane I had stormed. Okay, there's a few things that could happen here. But I can drop up to 35 power anywhere over the next four turns, and I have Doom and the right lane is Kamar-Taj. He drops Galactus (dont' have it) into the lane where I had just played Red Skull, then Death (don't have it), Magneto (don't have it). I lose. There was nothing I could have possibly done to win this guy, except play Agent 13 and have drawn Knull.

The kicker being that's not even the most oppressive play possible. There are people who own Knull too.

Galactus should have stayed a random draw only. Where it was hilarious, rather than crushing.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 30, 2022

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Galactus when he comes down on 6 feels okay, but Galactus on any earlier turn loving blows because they'll have at least one other 6-drop to load up that location. I think the only time I've beaten a pre-6 Galactus is when I had negative Iron Man in hand.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Nice, hit rank 60 despite my caches still being hosed and got the Iron All-Father Odin variant.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Some things you can do:

Have Shang Chi to kill their big cards. Cosmo, or a movement card, or something that donates a card to gently caress up Galactus’ reveal. (Or happen to play on Central Park which stops their deck cold.) Recognize that their deck has gone off and retreat.

Galactus is an ambush deck. It wins by you not recognizing what is happening until it is too late. Many of the top decks win like this. It is how you get 8 cube wins instead of 1 cube wins. Some of learning the game is learning what your opponents are trying to do and playing around or retreating correctly if you can’t.

If someone plays Psylocke on a Storm lane, it’s worth asking yourself “Why would they do this apparently terrible play?” In general, improving at this game seems to mean less thinking about what I will do and more thinking about what they might be planning.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

doingitwrong posted:

Some things you can do:

Have Shang Chi to kill their big cards. Cosmo, or a movement card, or something that donates a card to gently caress up Galactus’ reveal. (Or happen to play on Central Park which stops their deck cold.) Recognize that their deck has gone off and retreat.

Galactus is an ambush deck. It wins by you not recognizing what is happening until it is too late. Many of the top decks win like this. It is how you get 8 cube wins instead of 1 cube wins. Some of learning the game is learning what your opponents are trying to do and playing around or retreating correctly if you can’t.

If someone plays Psylocke on a Storm lane, it’s worth asking yourself “Why would they do this apparently terrible play?” In general, improving at this game seems to mean less thinking about what I will do and more thinking about what they might be planning.
galactus is a zero skill deck that autowins on turn 5 if you do not have one of the precise answers in hand. Actually seeing it through turn 6 is suicidal pretty much all the time, people dumb enough to buy galactus are dumb enough to buy knull. If you're not already running cosmo/aero your options are to just get taxed and wait for a nerf or put cards you don't want to run into your deck to counter a series 5.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I feel like some of these decks are there to take cubes from chumps. Most of these people are really bad at snapping too. I can't count the number of times I've seen someone snap after their trump card is revealed. Like they'll wait for the Galactus animation to finish and then snap. If you see that and then look at your hand and are like "nope, not beating that" then retreat. Hell, if someone Icemans T1 and Scorpions T2, more often than not, I'll just retreat. I don't need to see green goblin on T3 to know this is not a game I want to be a part of.

There's been games where come turn 6 I know I'm beat but I just have to see how I'm gonna be beat but most of the time, if it's looking bad, you're not gonna miracle this one, just retreat. It can suck to retreat, especially if you have what you think is the perfect hand, but there's no reason to stay in a losing game.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

No Wave posted:

galactus is a zero skill deck that autowins on turn 5 if you do not have one of the precise answers in hand. Actually seeing it through turn 6 is suicidal pretty much all the time, people dumb enough to buy galactus are dumb enough to buy knull. If you're not already running cosmo/aero your options are to just get taxed and wait for a nerf or put cards you don't want to run into your deck to counter a series 5.

KNEEL BEFORE GALACTUS

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Walla posted:

They really need to fix these. Morbius works when he's in your hand, but Collector needs to be on the board. And Kraven activates for every card moved, not just the ones on his side.

The Yondu/Death interaction is annoying but all the cards you mentioned here are correct.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

uXs posted:

KNEEL BEFORE GALACTUS

No no no, it's Galactus before Knull. The other way round doesn't work.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

doingitwrong posted:

Some things you can do:

This is unsound advice. Galactus is power 3. As a result of blowing up the other lanes, 95% of the time the receiving player has priority. Without Invisible Woman, Shang Chi isn't going to do anything to the Knull+Death drop. They don't reveal until after Shang Chi.

In terms of putting things on his side of the board, I actually run Viper. Didn't pull her that game. The other option is Debrii, but I wouldn't recommend that outside of a deck specifically built to take advantage of it.

No Wave is right. The error was not just eating the 4 cube loss, notwithstanding that I could put 30 power into that lane.

Galactus shouldn't have been made an acquirable card. It makes other cards of questionable balance (Knull/Death) worse.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Maneck posted:

Agreed, even though I've had an awful run of people dropping Cosmo on turn 3 into empty lanes to bust up my plays. Non-bots. Part of an awful 4 rank drop. The predominant theme in my 4 rank drop is me ignoring what is increasingly well established: matchmaking for people still working through pool 3 is toxic garbage outside of peak hours. Over a period of an hour I managed to win three games. By an amazing coincidence (?), two of those wins came in the two games where a location popped to swap hands/decks.

The last loss was just gutting. Had a great board set up and my best finishing combo of cards in hand (Red Skull and Task Master), so I snapped. Opponent drops psylock (don't have it) turn 4 into a lane I had stormed. Okay, there's a few things that could happen here. But I can drop up to 35 power anywhere over the next four turns, and I have Doom and the right lane is Kamar-Taj. He drops Galactus (dont' have it) into the lane where I had just played Red Skull, then Death (don't have it), Magneto (don't have it). I lose. There was nothing I could have possibly done to win this guy, except play Agent 13 and have drawn Knull.

The kicker being that's not even the most oppressive play possible. There are people who own Knull too.

Galactus should have stayed a random draw only. Where it was hilarious, rather than crushing.

I have Galactus, but I don't have:

-Red Skull
-Taskmaster
-Death
-Knull

Sometimes you just lose to people with poo poo you don't have.

Galactus can completely lock you out, but it's one of the more telegraphed decks and there are plenty of things you can do to gently caress them up. And if you can't, just retreat.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

goferchan posted:

The Yondu/Death interaction is annoying but all the cards you mentioned here are correct.

I think the debate here is that Morbius and Collector are polar opposites - they used to be exact mirrors, in fact - but Morbius counts things that happened before he was played and Collector only counts things that happened after. There is a reason for that; discarding a card usually costs you a finite resource, while adding a card almost always gains you one. But it does feel odd.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

uXs posted:

-Red Skull
-Taskmaster
-Death
-Knull

Galactus can completely lock you out, but it's one of the more telegraphed decks and there are plenty of things you can do to gently caress them up. And if you can't, just retreat.
You can see the exact problem with galactus here. It doesnt matter what the galactus player actually has (unless they've been leeched) you have to retreat on 6 when all they've done all game is hood daredevil psylocke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

uXs posted:

-Red Skull
-Taskmaster
-Death
-Knull

Sure Galactus without the other cards isn't a problem. But those other cards are in the game. Consequently, when he pops, unless you have Knull and Death in hand, plus 4 in the lane, or Leader, well, you have to retreat.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 30, 2022