Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

👏 more 👏 female 👏 traffickers 👏

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
If only Jeffrey Epstein had a woman in charge of his operation, this would have never happened

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Like, he's half-right, I hadn't seen much from either from them recently until this exchange went off, they both got publicity.

It's just that the publicist excuse of "there's no such thing as bad publicity" is not true especially when you're not media-brained.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

there are literal videos of him beating half naked women he is trafficking, so hitching your flag to answer tate isn’t going to age well

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jel Shaker posted:

hitching your flag

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Like, he's half-right, I hadn't seen much from either from them recently until this exchange went off, they both got publicity.

It's just that the publicist excuse of "there's no such thing as bad publicity" is not true especially when you're not media-brained.

Hate to say that's more of a sign of age than anything else. He's huge with teen boys on social media and he's been getting mainstream attention on all the TV right-wing talk shows.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Necrothatcher posted:

If we're recommending games I just finished this rad 90s style point and click adventure with awesome Northern voice acting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-1C_9RQJb8

Game is great but a child actor mispronounces the name of the River Wear, 9/10.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The ideal northerner in a video game is Eileen from bloodborne.

hoonteh

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Reveilled posted:

The core point of that game is to be hard to the point where you might be unable to complete it, and indeed more than once I put the game down and stopped playing for weeks because I judged that the game was too hard and that I’d never finish it. But each time I came back, persevered, and eventually reached the top of the mountain.
That's kind of the core point of all hard games though. Complete the challenge, feel like an absolute boss. Huge dopamine rush to last you the day. I 100% get why hard mode is a good thing for most people, and I always try to make it clear I don't want to remove challenge from games completely, because it forestalls a lot of The Gamers™ arguments.

But at the risk of getting into "your experiences are not universal' territory, ADHD and RSD are great examples of how the dopamine loop doesn't work with some people and is actively detrimental to the mental health of others.

With ADHD you have a defined issue with dopamine reuptake, which means not only does the brain produce less dopamine, the dopamine it produces doesn't last as long, so doesn't give you that boost to get over the humps like it would for most.

In the case of RSD it's even worse, because the bad vibes of failure hit harder and last longer, and you don't have the dopamine high to help you coast through. Failing over and over in a game isn't just not fun, it's just depressing - the clue is the D stands for 'dysphoria' which isn't just 'feels bad,' it's actively negative in the sense of being the polar opposite of euphoria.

I don't know why it's so difficult to explain to hard mode gamers that normal people don't enjoy it, which is kind of a major detriment to something you're expecting them to be doing in their free time. I think it's that neurotypical thing of "hey, it works this way for me, so I'm going to refuse to listen to anyone who says it's not that way for them."

Admittedly most people don't seem to have that problem (maybe they do, and that's why stats show that gaming is a niche hobby and even within gaming hardcore gaming is a niche within a niche), but that's the entire argument of accessibility - you're doing a little extra to accommodate people who can't do what other people do.

The diversity and inclusion strategist Joe Gerstandt said “If you do not intentionally, deliberately and proactively include, you will unintentionally exclude.” this is why easy mode is an accessibility issue. It's not a complete fix, but it lets people access the content on their own terms without things that are barriers, like skill checks, quicktime events, timers and other bullshit that stops players playing in a way that makes the game accessible to them.

The article I posted previously references this in a great way - easy mode is not the same thing as accessibility. BUT, removing arbitrary difficulty tests as a barrier to progress lets players set up their own challenges and their own ways of enjoying the game:

https://caniplaythat.com/2021/12/17/difficulty-in-video-games-is-accessibility/

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1608810326870429703

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like the rimworld approach of exposing a huge number of the difficulty modifiers and letting you set the game up how you want.

It is more "playing with" than playing. In the sense that an action man does not come with a preset way to play it, but you can play with it.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I don't even understand what Souls fans would lose if an easy mode was added. It is an incredibly mainstream game. It's not designed for some kind of gaming aristocracy. But it's like the playerbase have built up this whole "git gud" thing where an easy mode would cast doubt on their "achievement".

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Was it not Thatcher who said: anyone on public transport after the age of 30 is a loser? (or some such equivalent).

It was, and everybody (especially in e.g. London) made fun of her for it, because we are not America.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bobby Deluxe posted:

That's kind of the core point of all hard games though. Complete the challenge, feel like an absolute boss. Huge dopamine rush to last you the day. I 100% get why hard mode is a good thing for most people, and I always try to make it clear I don't want to remove challenge from games completely, because it forestalls a lot of The Gamers™ arguments.

But at the risk of getting into "your experiences are not universal' territory, ADHD and RSD are great examples of how the dopamine loop doesn't work with some people and is actively detrimental to the mental health of others.

With ADHD you have a defined issue with dopamine reuptake, which means not only does the brain produce less dopamine, the dopamine it produces doesn't last as long, so doesn't give you that boost to get over the humps like it would for most.

In the case of RSD it's even worse, because the bad vibes of failure hit harder and last longer, and you don't have the dopamine high to help you coast through. Failing over and over in a game isn't just not fun, it's just depressing - the clue is the D stands for 'dysphoria' which isn't just 'feels bad,' it's actively negative in the sense of being the polar opposite of euphoria.

I don't know why it's so difficult to explain to hard mode gamers that normal people don't enjoy it, which is kind of a major detriment to something you're expecting them to be doing in their free time. I think it's that neurotypical thing of "hey, it works this way for me, so I'm going to refuse to listen to anyone who says it's not that way for them."

Admittedly most people don't seem to have that problem (maybe they do, and that's why stats show that gaming is a niche hobby and even within gaming hardcore gaming is a niche within a niche), but that's the entire argument of accessibility - you're doing a little extra to accommodate people who can't do what other people do.

The diversity and inclusion strategist Joe Gerstandt said “If you do not intentionally, deliberately and proactively include, you will unintentionally exclude.” this is why easy mode is an accessibility issue. It's not a complete fix, but it lets people access the content on their own terms without things that are barriers, like skill checks, quicktime events, timers and other bullshit that stops players playing in a way that makes the game accessible to them.

The article I posted previously references this in a great way - easy mode is not the same thing as accessibility. BUT, removing arbitrary difficulty tests as a barrier to progress lets players set up their own challenges and their own ways of enjoying the game:

I just don't expect every game to be beatable, personally :shrug:

Like yeah in a game where the story is the point accessibility options are good but not every game is a story game. What about Super Meat Boy? What about Cuphead? These aren't games telling some grand sweeping tale, they're games designed to be balls hard that only a small percentage of those who play will reach the end of and that's their purpose. If we're talking physical disabilities then yes the gaming industry should be producing controllers that will compensate for that but every single video game does not need to be beatable by every single person.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I don't even understand what Souls fans would lose if an easy mode was added. It is an incredibly mainstream game. It's not designed for some kind of gaming aristocracy. But it's like the playerbase have built up this whole "git gud" thing where an easy mode would cast doubt on their "achievement".
Which is mad because there is always the brag of saying you 100% it or that you completed it on hardcore mode. Or any of the weird youtube/twitch "any% pistol only no healing run" challenges people make for themselves.

Some people just have this weird thing where they can't feel good about themselves unless they have a worse person to dunk on.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Bring back cheat codes and game genies &c.

That way people can decide if they want to try for a 100% notool hardcore mode no saves run using only a bamboo garden cane as a weapon or skip/godmode an annoying part or anything in between.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

what a oval office

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Kegluneq posted:

I really like this argument. I don't play a musical instrument but I imagine that mastering a particular piece of music has similar dopamine rewards to nailing the timings on a particularly tough boss fight. For rhythm action games the parallel is probably even closer.
I'm bad at both video games and piano, but this doesn't ring true for me. Beating a boss does not feel the same as getting a piece down to the point I'd be willing to let other people hear it. I'm not sure why that is - maybe because the boss does have a defined endpoint, but the music can always be better?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I couldn't care less if Souls got an easy mode but the creator is against it and feels it would compromise his vision for the games :shrug:

Bobby Deluxe posted:

What stats are you looking at that say this? 50% of all Europeans play videogames, worldwide the total is over 3 billion. Gaming hasn't been niche for decades.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 30, 2022

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I wish it was possible to have lower difficulty levels in Souls games and for me to have the willpower to not use them. I mean I basically use the built in difficulty scaling anyway ie I find some monsters that I find easy to fight and I grind. I summon for bosses, if I get stuck I watch a guide, if the boss can be glitched I glitch it. That approach is not for everyone but also gently caress anyone who would criticise a person for playing the way they enjoy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/drmistercody/status/1608706223997849600

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The great clown Badiellacci weighs in

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i hope Coogan sues him over that :mad:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rarity posted:

Like yeah in a game where the story is the point accessibility options are good but not every game is a story game. What about Super Meat Boy? What about Cuphead? These aren't games telling some grand sweeping tale, they're games designed to be balls hard that only a small percentage of those who play will reach the end of and that's their purpose. If we're talking physical disabilities then yes the gaming industry should be producing controllers that will compensate for that but every single video game does not need to be beatable by every single person.

I would generally say that if a few changes can make a game into a different sort of fun, it makes sense to add those in.

Like, the same game with some settings tweaks can be both extremely hard and unforgiving and also just... fun? Terraria comes with ironman mode but I still play it on keep inventory mode.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tarnop posted:

I wish it was possible to have lower difficulty levels in Souls games and for me to have the willpower to not use them. I mean I basically use the built in difficulty scaling anyway ie I find some monsters that I find easy to fight and I grind. I summon for bosses, if I get stuck I watch a guide, if the boss can be glitched I glitch it. That approach is not for everyone but also gently caress anyone who would criticise a person for playing the way they enjoy.
Boss fights are a tedious pain in the arse, so finding a way to glitch them is always fun. Like in Knights of the Old Republic, where I beat the final boss by equipping an item that slowly regenerates health, then whenever I got hurt running around him in a circle so he couldn't target me until I was back to full HP.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm not sure why (mental) disability comes into the discussion of accessibility

As you say yourself said, many normal people don't enjoy hard video games. There are plenty of ordinary people with completely "neurotypical" brains who don't enjoy these games much like how people with ADHD or RSD don't enjoy them. Everyone has their own perception of the challenge/reward ratio, and their own innate skills at video games across the neurotypical spectrum.

And we accept that different people have different skills, interests and personalities. Or at least we should. These people get annoying when they refuse to accept "I just don't like hard games" as a reason, but you don't need to have a disability to not enjoy or be good at a Soulslike. You just need to have a personality.

So in the same way I don't demand that ballroom dancing or dril music changes to be accessible to me, and just accept I am the kind of person who doesn't like those things, why shouldn't the same be true of hard video games? Why is ADHD brain loops being different more important than neurotypical brain loops being diverse?

Not everything needs to appeal to everyone. And there's no difference between not being able to enjoy something due to a mental disability versus your personality - both of those are just Who You Are.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 30, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

Bring back cheat codes and game genies &c.

That way people can decide if they want to try for a 100% notool hardcore mode no saves run using only a bamboo garden cane as a weapon or skip/godmode an annoying part or anything in between.

And this is why I like PC gaming. Shame my graphics card is old &...actually no, my entire PC is old. Sigh.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Not everything needs to appeal to everyone. And there's no difference between not being able to enjoy something due to a mental disability versus your personality - both of those are just Who You Are.

I mean, this also applies to physical disabilities, and it is still nice if I can have the option of not having to discern red/green in order to read information. Not being able to see that is Who I Am but I am still capable of enjoying things if people take the time to make them readable.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nothingtoseehere posted:

So in the same way I don't demand that ballroom dancing or dril music changes to be accessible to me, and just accept I am the kind of person who doesn't like those things, why shouldn't the same be true of hard video games?

Because it doesn’t really correlate with how games are created and consumed, so these examples aren’t great.

It’s more like if all your favourite bands started making dril albums because that was popular now (which is what it feels like the single player AAA space is becoming sometimes with everyone trying to ape souls mechanics), and the only music you could enjoy anymore was being recorded by niche indie artists on lovely equipment.

It’s not so bad if you’re one of those people that really likes niche lo-fi indie poo poo, but if you want something with some production value you feel shortchanged.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

History Comes Inside! posted:

(which is what it feels like the single player AAA space is becoming sometimes with everyone trying to ape souls mechanics)

This just isn't true though. The other big AAA releases of the year, GoW: Ragnarok and Horizon, are both nothing like Soulsborne difficulty

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sometimes

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Rarity posted:

Like yeah in a game where the story is the point accessibility options are good but not every game is a story game. What about Super Meat Boy? What about Cuphead? These aren't games telling some grand sweeping tale, they're games designed to be balls hard that only a small percentage of those who play will reach the end of and that's their purpose.
Cuphead and SMB are very clear about what they are though, and it would still be possible to have a lower intensity version for people who don't have the reflexes, or cognitive capacity to handle that many things going on at once.

Two examples of what I'm talking about, one general and one a highly personal gripe I am holding back on because it's in danger of turning into a 3,000 word infodump.

First, Spiderman on the PS2/Xbox. There is a much memed cutscene in the intro of the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Js72d-LpEI

If you don't pass that QTE, you don't get to even start the game. The entire game is literally inaccessible if you can't do QTEs, and nowhere on the box or the promo material does it say this. The easy mode doesn't even scale back the timing, so it's as narrow a difficulty if you're on easy, medium or hard.

Second example, and I'll try to be brief. I started playing the Destiny demo back in 2014. In retrospect, this was a terrible mistake because I loving love it and it has consumed my free time. It said it was possible to play single player and it had an optional higher difficulty.

But as I got deeper into the game, more and more parts of it started to say you can ONLY do this bit on higher difficulty, or I hit a wall on content that I found out was mechanically designed so it could only be done with other people.

I'm not going to do a full breakdown of why I can't, or won't, or shouldn't have to do that. What I will say is it loving sucks to find a game you love playing, have been doing well playing, and then get up to a certain point where an arbitrary difficulty they've inserted means you can't continue, or you can't do that content.

Like if I started playing cuphead, i'd get five minutes in and think "This is absolutely not a challenge I enjoy" and in that respect, I accept your premise, as long as a game is clear beforehand about it being that. It's why I haven't bought Elden Ring either.

And if I'd played the Destiny demo and it'd made it clear that you needed multiplayer or you needed to be crazy good at soloing, I'd probably have bounced. But it's not. There is a ton of content you can engage with, and then suddenly you get a quest that goes "nope, hard mode or fireteam or GTFO." The PS5 listing still says it's possible solo, which some parts are.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I'm not sure why (mental) disability comes into the discussion of accessibility.

https://twitter.com/geoffreyreads/status/1603374723307606017?t=deDKZqVtneKhqB_5V0dlIw&s=19

Answers it better than I could. (Second tweet, the one about cognitive accessibility)

Nothingtoseehere posted:

These people get annoying when they refuse to accept "I just don't like hard games" as a reason, but you don't need to have a disability to not enjoy or be good at a Soulslike. You just need to have a personality.
There is a huge difference between someone who is disabled (physically or cognitively) being unable to do something, and someone who is otherwise unimpaired being unable to do something.

An unimpaired person can practice, and over time will see improvements. In my case, my cognitive capacity will never improve, and in fact gets much worse under stressful situations. My RSI limits the amount of time I can spend in a session, which limits how much I can practice.

My wife says I'm good at PvP, but I am frustrated that just as I feel like I'm getting warmed up I get warning pains from my tendons which means if I keep going, I'll lose dexterity from cramping up and be in pain for a day or so. So I literally can't practice as much as other people.

As I was saying in the previous reply to Rarity this is incredibly frustrating when I've been able to play the game at my own pace and have fun up to a certain point, and then all of a sudden a lazy artificial difficulty barrier slams down and then that's it, content not for me.

The difference is that an unimpaired person can keep practicing until they get it and that's part of the challenge. A disabled person might not be able to, for various reasons.

As it happens I loved DS1, because I could take it slowly and overgrind. You can't do that in Destiny 2 when they lock the room, flood it with enemies and make it so you restart if you die. If I'd known the game was like that from the start, like I said to Rarity, I might not have bought it, or at least I might not have been so annoyed at the bits I can't do.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 30, 2022

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
But your point was 'everyone is making Soulsbornes now so if you don't mesh with that you're screwed' when even in the AAA space there's still lots of alternatives out there

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm glad that Celeste is mentioned there because that is a game that is hard as poo poo but has all kinds of options to let you play through the game, including just straight up letting you set the game speed, have infinite jumps and never die.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I think a key point here though is it’s not really about the dopamine rush. It’s about the crippling frustration, the pain, the rage and the anger. In the case of a game like Getting Over It, for 92% of the people who play it that’s the entire experience. If I had given up on the game and never come back to it, I’d have been part of that 92%, and I would have received an experience that was fully intended by the artist.

As I mentioned earlier, games are in a grey area where they span different kinds of “thing”. If you buy an entertainment product, you have a reasonable expectation that you should be able to make full use of the entertainment product. But if you buy a work of art, you have to meet the art on its own terms. In the case of a game, difficulty is a component of that art. I think some games are primarily conceived of as entertainment products, others primarily conceived of as works of art.

Personally I have no issue with a game including an easy mode, in a lot of games I use the easy mode! heck, in games like EU4 I open up the console regularly and just cheat cheat cheat. I certainly don’t consider myself a better person than others because I completed dark souls or getting over it or anything else.

But I think if an artist deliberately creates a work that some people—even the majority of people—cannot engage with, that is an entirely valid choice and we should not expect an artist to moderate their art for others sake.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Soulsborne games were a revelation for me tbh. I put off playing them for so long because I thought I'd find the difficulty frustrating and wouldn't enjoy them at all, but once I tried the sheer rush you get from actually feeling yourself getting better at something was incredible. They weirdly enough helped a lot with mental health, nothing better when you're going through it than zoning out and sitting bashing the poo poo out of a few beasts for a few hours - you have to concentrate so hard you pretty much can't dwell on whatever else is bothering you. Certainly a lot more sustainable than my other stress/anxiety outlet, which is drinking entirely far too many glasses of wine and passing out lol.

e: I only played Bloodborne, Sekiro, and Elden Ring. I'm debating going back to the actual DS games but the setting and aesthetic don't really do as much for me and I've heard the older ones can feel extremely rough now.

e2: lol at Tate, truly the New Year's gift we needed. I would laugh extremely hard if he ended up going down for any significant stretch for this and I am gleefully anticipating his army of weirdo Twitter incels losing their absolute mind over it.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 30, 2022

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

e: I only played Bloodborne, Sekiro, and Elden Ring. I'm debating going back to the actual DS games but the setting and aesthetic don't really do as much for me and I've heard the older ones can feel extremely rough now.
Something felt really off about the controls on the dark souls remake compared to the original I played on the 360. Not sure exactly but it's similar to how the timing on the Tony Hawk games felt off when they switched devs. So it might be that they actually are worse now.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Rarity posted:

Meat boy is an absolute no brainer for accessability options because we have the Celeste right there, a similar hard platforming game with a lot of great accesability options.

The thing i think people have trouble understanding is that someone who is half as good at videogames would find bennet foddy or whatever exactly as satisfying to complete if it was half as dificult.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s more like if all your favourite bands started making dril albums because that was popular now (which is what it feels like the single player AAA space is becoming sometimes with everyone trying to ape souls mechanics), and the only music you could enjoy anymore was being recorded by niche indie artists on lovely equipment.

But that's just not true though?

the best selling games in the UK this year were

quote:

FIFA 23
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Pokemon Legends Arceus
Horizon: Forbidden West
Pokemon Scarlet & Violet
LEGO Star Wars: Skywalker Saga
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
God of War: Ragnarok
Nintendo Switch Sports
Elden Ring

Besides elden ring which is a souls game, not a single other one has a similar play style.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Cuphead and SMB are very clear about what they are though, and it would still be possible to have a lower intensity version for people who don't have the reflexes, or cognitive capacity to handle that many things going on at once.

Two examples of what I'm talking about, one general and one a highly personal gripe I am holding back on because it's in danger of turning into a 3,000 word infodump.

First, Spiderman on the PS2/Xbox. There is a much memed cutscene in the intro of the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Js72d-LpEI

If you don't pass that QTE, you don't get to even start the game. The entire game is literally inaccessible if you can't do QTEs, and nowhere on the box or the promo material does it say this. The easy mode doesn't even scale back the timing, so it's as narrow a difficulty if you're on easy, medium or hard.

Second example, and I'll try to be brief. I started playing the Destiny demo back in 2014. In retrospect, this was a terrible mistake because I loving love it and it has consumed my free time. It said it was possible to play single player and it had an optional higher difficulty.

But as I got deeper into the game, more and more parts of it started to say you can ONLY do this bit on higher difficulty, or I hit a wall on content that I found out was mechanically designed so it could only be done with other people.

I'm not going to do a full breakdown of why I can't, or won't, or shouldn't have to do that. What I will say is it loving sucks to find a game you love playing, have been doing well playing, and then get up to a certain point where an arbitrary difficulty they've inserted means you can't continue, or you can't do that content.

Like if I started playing cuphead, i'd get five minutes in and think "This is absolutely not a challenge I enjoy" and in that respect, I accept your premise, as long as a game is clear beforehand about it being that. It's why I haven't bought Elden Ring either.

And if I'd played the Destiny demo and it'd made it clear that you needed multiplayer or you needed to be crazy good at soloing, I'd probably have bounced. But it's not. There is a ton of content you can engage with, and then suddenly you get a quest that goes "nope, hard mode or fireteam or GTFO." The PS5 listing still says it's possible solo, which some parts are.

https://twitter.com/geoffreyreads/status/1603374723307606017?t=deDKZqVtneKhqB_5V0dlIw&s=19

Answers it better than I could. (Second tweet, the one about cognitive accessibility)

There is a huge difference between someone who is disabled (physically or cognitively) being unable to do something, and someone who is otherwise unimpaired being unable to do something.

An unimpaired person can practice, and over time will see improvements. In my case, my cognitive capacity will never improve, and in fact gets much worse under stressful situations. My RSI limits the amount of time I can spend in a session, which limits how much I can practice.

My wife says I'm good at PvP, but I am frustrated that just as I feel like I'm getting warmed up I get warning pains from my tendons which means if I keep going, I'll lose dexterity from cramping up and be in pain for a day or so. So I literally can't practice as much as other people.

As I was saying in the previous reply to Rarity this is incredibly frustrating when I've been able to play the game at my own pace and have fun up to a certain point, and then all of a sudden a lazy artificial difficulty barrier slams down and then that's it, content not for me.

The difference is that an unimpaired person can keep practicing until they get it and that's part of the challenge. A disabled person might not be able to, for various reasons.

As it happens I loved DS1, because I could take it slowly and overgrind. You can't do that in Destiny 2 when they lock the room, flood it with enemies and make it so you restart if you die. If I'd known the game was like that from the start, like I said to Rarity, I might not have bought it, or at least I might not have been so annoyed at the bits I can't do.

Destiny gating a lot of their content behind raids is something I also find annoying, but mostly because I'm a solo player as my friends dropped the game. After the 3rd or so expansion with only about 50% of the stuff I had paid money for I was able to access, I dumped the game. The sell that you could solo play the game was a lie, its a MMO. You make some good points about removing the ability to set your own pace, especially as the first game allowed that.
But your issue with PVP is a slightly different one, how could the creators of the game allow you to play PvP at a higher level that isn't effectively letting you cheat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Ok, so my issue with this is that in your mind there's a divergence due to disability

You:
1. Plays game
2. Finds roadblock in difficulty unbeatable due to disability
3. Feels discriminated against due to being unable to finish game

Your ideal of a Neurotypical person:
1. Plays game
2. Finds roadblock in difficulty
3. Overcomes it and finishes the game

But that's not how neurotypical people interact with games at all. Steam achievement data tells us this - that whenever you create a difficulty hump in games, you lose some % of your players. This is normal, that most people can't finish many games.

And personally, I've bought two Soulslikes - Dark Souls 2 and Seriko, and both of those I have not got further than the first 10% or 20% due to difficulty. Sure, maybe I have the theoretically ability to do better in them that you don't have - if someone sat me down at gunpoint and forced me to get good at the game. But either way, I bounced off those games due to their difficulty after spending money and enjoying the early bits, exactly the same way you did. And it's not like I'm uniquely bad at these games, look at the achivement data for Dark Souls 2.

Die for the first time (play the game) - 94%
Defeat the Last Giant (early boss) - 70%
Find Sinner's Bonfire (next area) - 54%
The Heir (finish the game) - 38%

When you reach a wall in a game and can't get further, you're not being uniquely discriminated against due to disability. You're having a very typical experience.

There is a separate argument that this isn't good game design, or even good commercial sense. And given the list of top-selling games in the UK, or that the most successful game of the 2010s is Minecraft, a game with a no-challenge mode, you'd be right. But the fact is that not being able to do all of a game due to difficulty is a very normal experience for all people, disabled and neurotypical. Your inability to finish certain games is no different than mine, and you having a diagnosis doesn't make your inability to finish a game more important than mine.