Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

YEA

best to refresh that truce timer while half their army is balls deep in Gaul, what could go wrong?

we're ready, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Yea

The Pipsisewah
Dec 13, 2022
Yea. From the way it looks like Rome is expanding I don't think waiting is going to do us any favors in the long run.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
yep, very much one sided, guess it off to another war...

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
FOOLS!

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

As the converter guy, I want to make my usual offer with megacampaigns I read - when it comes time to convert, let me know if there's any help or shall tweaks you need to s given converter and I'll see what I can do to help.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Are all of the imperator religions available in ck3?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

idhrendur posted:

As the converter guy, I want to make my usual offer with megacampaigns I read - when it comes time to convert, let me know if there's any help or shall tweaks you need to s given converter and I'll see what I can do to help.

sweet, thanks! I usually hand convert, but the converter looks really good so i'll probably use it this time around, and then edit the mod from there

Finnish Flasher posted:

Are all of the imperator religions available in ck3?

I think the converter puts them together for ck3? If not I'll just add them manually

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Do not let the Romans get any fuckin grasp of stability, constantly kick them while they're down so they won't come back when they get stable again. Yes

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

you maniacs! we could have won rome over!

we could have had it all!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

You guys remember less than a page ago when we were talking about Rome's unique ability to absorb battlefield losses seemingly endlessly, and how their greatest enemy always seem to collapse them in times of relative stability when the rot sets in internally?

Maybe we should take some time to, you know, consolidate our gains and give the Romans a chance to shoot themselves in the foot a little?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Asterite34 posted:

You guys remember less than a page ago when we were talking about Rome's unique ability to absorb battlefield losses seemingly endlessly, and how their greatest enemy always seem to collapse them in times of relative stability when the rot sets in internally?

Maybe we should take some time to, you know, consolidate our gains and give the Romans a chance to shoot themselves in the foot a little?

That's the sane strategy, not the entertaining one.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Asterite34 posted:

Well, that's in real history, you know. While this is a paradox game.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

There is nothing more boring in a Paradox mapgame than waiting for a megablob to collapse. Ceterum censeo Roma esse delendam.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 27, 2022

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Asterite34 posted:

As long as we exist, the romans are going to be able to unify over being angry we beat them.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

hashashash posted:

sweet, thanks! I usually hand convert, but the converter looks really good so i'll probably use it this time around, and then edit the mod from there

And that's the intended use! Too many people forget that second part, unfortunately.

hashashash posted:

I think the converter puts them together for ck3? If not I'll just add them manually

The converter should...and it's all customizable if you don't like how it's mapping Imp religions/cultures/whatever to CK3 equivalents.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Fivemarks posted:

As long as we exist, the romans are going to be able to unify over being angry we beat them.

This is probably incredibly accurate.

Chronometry
Jul 19, 2022

Fivemarks posted:

I didn't know Revanchism was an Imperator mechanic!

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Chronometry posted:

I didn't know Revanchism was an Imperator mechanic!

Look, the Romans are history's sorest losers.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
We really need to know how to say "Rome must be destroyed" in Punic.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Viola the Mad posted:

We really need to know how to say "Rome must be destroyed" in Punic.

And thus the nightmare of full immersive conversion begins. "gently caress, 'London' has a latin root*! What would it be called in Phoenician??"

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

SirPhoebos posted:

And thus the nightmare of full immersive conversion begins. "gently caress, 'London' has a latin root*! What would it be called in Phoenician??"

This sort of thing is why I was so glad the byzLP startdate was after the Norman Conquest, so I could reasonably assume that something like English as we know it will exist.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

seriously though what would the phoenicians have called China

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Aramaic and Hebrew seem to be the closest surviving relatives. If it's anything like what Rome called China then it'd be "Land of Silk".

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Rubix Squid posted:

Aramaic and Hebrew seem to be the closest surviving relatives. If it's anything like what Rome called China then it'd be "Land of Silk".

yea jokes aside you can kinda work out a lot by using Hebrew to fill in the blanks - but I think the Romans are prevalent enough in places like Gaul and Italy that, if Carthage does eventually destroy Rome, they would probably just adopt and alter the Roman names for a lot of things

then with southern Mediterranean, the Carthaginian names for a lot of places already probably had some impact on modern names, like Spania for Iberia, so those can be freely used

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Part 5 — Second Punic War — 200 BCE to 150 BCE

For twenty years, the elephant and the wolf grappled over domination of the Mediterranean, with both Carthage and Rome losing far too many lives in devastating battles and spending unfathomable amounts of gold on their now-sunken navies.

Carthage might have emerged as the victor, but her victory was narrow enough that another conflict between these great powers of the ancient world was all but certain.

Nevertheless, with the death of Hamilcar Barca and the election of his successor, many in the Ever-Shining City might have expected a period of peace and recovery to follow…

But the new Sophet, Eshbaal Mago, had anything but peace in mind.

The Magonids were amongst the most oldest, richest, and most influential families in the Republic, with many from their ranks serving as senators and Sophets over the decades and centuries, including Mago who was a king of Carthage, Hamilcar who became the protector of Punic cities in Sicily, Hasdrubal who was made dictator no less than eleven times, Himilco who sailed into the north and set foot on those rocky lands called Prytain… and many, many more.

Eshbaal inherits their name and legacy, and yet, over his lifetime he has seen another family rise to prominence in the Adirim, to riches in Iberia, to eternal fame in Italia — Barca.

Carthaginian shekel dated to the 2nd century BCE, believed to have been minted in New Carthage and depicting Hannibal Barca, son of Hamilcar and lord of Spania.

But no longer. Hamilcar was dead, his sons were meddling in Iberia, and Eshbaal was raised to the supreme position in the Republic.

And just days later, the new Sophet declares war on Rome.

Rome had broken none of the treaties imposed on her in the aftermath of the First Punic War; in fact, only a couple years had passed since those same treaties were signed and ratified by Hamilcar himself.

But the new Sophet did not care. Rather, he and his Magonids claimed that the Barcids had sought peace at an inopportune time, that Rome herself might have been taken had Hamilcar not been so mentally frail and physically inept.

A mistake that Eshbaal would soon rectify.

The declaration of war was well-timed, as the scattered Roman navy immediately comes under attack all across the Mediterranean — the Punic navy suffered surprisingly heavy losses, especially in the battles for the straits of Messina, but after several months of back-and-forth, they managed to seize control of the seas spanning Rome and Carthage.

The legions of Rome were also tied down in the north, campaigning in Gaul, so when 100,000 Punic levies and mercenaries crossed from Sicily into Italia just weeks later, they quickly overwhelmed the hastily-raised, numerically-inferior armies thrown against them —

The gods were surely with Eshbaal as well, because after a lengthy siege, a disaffected Greek sympathiser surrendered the city of Crotone to him; this was followed by Nuceria Alfaterna before the end of the year, and the year after that saw the capture of Tarraco and Iuncaria…

And still, apart from a few scattered battles against locally-raised levies, there was no answer from Rome.

So when the campaigning season of 192 BCE began, Eshbaal led his forces down the Via Appia, further and further north, until at long last, as winter crept across the farmlands and plantyards of Latium Novum, the city of Rome came into sight…

The Sophet did not test his patience for long, immediately putting the city to siege.

But the Romans would not capitulate at the mere sight of a Carthaginian army; not only did they withstand the daily assaults, nighttime charges, threats of massacre… but they mounted sorties, they raided supply lines, they blithely and arrogantly resisted Eshbaal at every turn.

It was almost two years of siege before the walls were finally won, but by then, it was already too late.

The Romans had evidently ended their wars in Gaul. They arrived with a brute and terrible ferocity, with tens of thousands of legionnaires smashing into Punic forces even as the citizen levy within Rome launched a vicious sortie.

Caught between the besieged and the relief, the disease-ridden Carthaginians were handily defeated, with any survivors driven south and slaughtered —

Worse and worse, the Carthaginian navy patrolling the straits of Messina was engaged in battle a few weeks later — and somehow, despite their superior numbers and warships, they were utterly annihilated by the Romans (who were commanded by a blinded general by the name of Publius Scipio), with 162 sunk and another 29 captured.

From conquering hero to utter catastrophe, in the space of a month… rather than return to Carthage and face his shame (or perhaps realising that the penalty for his failure would be execution), Eshbaal commits suicide in a small, dingy hostel somewhere in Bovianum. His body is never recovered.

Word of these reversals reaches Carthage a few weeks later, and the distraught senators turned on the Magonids en masse, raising a prominent noble by the name of Gisgo Gisgo to the position of Sophet, investing him with the powers of dictator, and directing him to take control of the war before it was too late.

The news slowly trickled into the West as well, where the talented son of Hamilcar Barca had been ordered to seize the remaining Roman possessions in Iberia.

These possessions amounted to just a few scattered settlements along the River Iber, however… a small and unimportant task, and a far cry from the great tactical masterpieces his father had overseen during the First Punic War, this was no doubt an attempt by the Magonids to sideline the heirs of Hamilcar.

But Hannibal Barca was never meant for small, unimportant things.

He might not have control over the navies of the Republic, but Hannibal had the men, he had the money, and he had more than enough ambition — and so, in the year 178 BCE, Hannibal embarked on perhaps the most audacious campaign in Carthaginian history…

3500 Punic infantry, 5000 Iberian archers, 8500 Numidian cavalry, 8000 Gallic auxiliaries, 3500 Celtic spearmen, 2000 Balearic slingers, and 500 war elephants — Hannibal leads them all on a year-long march across the River Iber, through southern Gaul, across the River Rodonus, into the Alps and out again.

He emerges from the mountains with his army (mostly) intact, and before him stretches plains and valleys, cities and towns, battle and siege, victory and defeat, glory and everlasting fame…

But none of that would come to pass.

Instead, Hannibal’s army is ambushed as they attempted to cross the River Trebia; the Carthaginian forces are slain to a man, and Hannibal himself is seized and then crucified by the Romans — many of whom had lost fathers, brothers, sons to his infamous father.

And now, they were avenged.

The death of Hannibal and destruction of his army plunged Carthage into mass hysteria — the priests curse the names of Mago and Barca both; the senators threaten one another with exile and execution; there are mass sacrifices conducted in the streets and alleyways of the Ever-Shining City; and in the palace atop the hill of Byrsa, the Sophet… the Sophet realises that this war cannot be won.

But he will not admit defeat, either. Not before he had his say.

And so new taxes were levied, loans taken, funds raised; the weeks stretched into months and seasons blurred into years, and the war was prolonged indefinitely.

The Romans took advantage of Carthaginian inactivity by crossing the straits of Messina and overwhelming Sicily, before invading and seizing the isles of Sardinia and Corsica as well.

In the midst of these years of woe and misery, Bodashtart — the explorer dispatched into the West some forty years ago — returned to Carthage in triumph. Tellings and retellings of his adventures capture the imagination of the citizenry at large, and Bodashtart is proclaimed a national hero by the Adirim.

Once they had retaken their lost territories in Gaul, the Romans also launched an invasion into Iberia. Hasdrubal, Hamilcar’s second son and Hannibal’s brother, managed to mount an effective resistance, but outnumbered and outwitted at every turn, he is forced to fall back time and again, until finally the Romans besieged and seized New Carthage in 158 BCE.

Still, this Iberian campaign bought precious time for the Republic, and the Sophet used it to challenge the Roman supremacy at sea and on land — the Punic navy was entirely reconstructed (this time with many more tetreres and hexeres), the largest mercenary companies available were recruited (including two from Egypt), and a new plan (just as ambitious and foolhardy as Hannibal’s) was devised.

Finally, in the year 155 BCE, over a decade after he was elected Sophet and ordained dictator, Gisgo was ready to put his plan into action. And so, once the appropriate sacrifices (animal and otherwise) were made, an army of 80,000 Berbers and Libyans, Greeks and Egyptians took to the sea…

…and just a week later, they sight the Roman navy in open waters.

At that moment, in that place, the destiny of the West might have been decided once and for all…

But the Carthaginians slip away, and the Romans fail to pursue.

Perhaps they assumed the enemy was making for Sicily or Sardinia, and resolved to ambush them. Perhaps they were not keen on battle in the open seas, where they were less experienced. Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps, none of that mattered, because the Sophet made fast for a different target altogether — Rome itself.

Taken completely by surprise, the city was defended by only a token garrison — but even so, wolves were wolves, and they fell on the Carthaginians with desperate savagery.

Weathering these skirmishes, the Sophet led his 80,000 on a forced march down the Via Ostiens, and within the week, he had Rome entirely surrounded…

There is no attempt to starve them out this time; instead, the Sophet throws the entire weight of his army at the city without care for casualties or deaths, and within three weeks, the walls are breached; another two weeks, and the seven hills are stormed; just a few days later, and the Curia Hostilia is captured…

After a siege of only sixty days, Rome has fallen.

The peace that followed was fair — more than fair, considering the entirety of the Roman Senate was prisoner to Gisgo — with the Romans agreeing to abandon their occupations of Punic territory, and the Carthaginians in turn withdrawing from Italia and Greece.

And with that, after almost half a century of war… Peace.

But this peace is merely a return to the status quo. Carthage maintains her stranglehold over the maritime trade of the Mediterranean, Rome has the freedom to expand into Greece and Gaul, and there is little doubt that a Third Punic War lies on the horizon…

And this time, there is a sense that it will be the last.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 10, 2023

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

I'm not amazing at Imperator, so I put it down to them having a way better general (even if he is blind), but tbh I'm not sure why we were losing so many ships to the Romans

oh, and I just can't apologise for trying to Hannibal the Romans, I had to give it a shot

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

What an absolute clusterfuck that was, jeez. Fifty years, who knows how much of our treasure, and a dead Hannibal, all to end up where we started.

Thank God Gisco Gisco pulled our asses out of the fire here with a bum rush at Rome. All hail Gisco Gisco, the Sophet so nice they named him twice!

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

drat that was a mess.

Though I'm happy to see Gisco Gisgo get position of prominence, his name makes me real fond of him.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Gisco Gisco has saved the republic! Let's throw him at least 2 Triumphs, for both of his Giscos.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Asterite34 posted:

What an absolute clusterfuck that was, jeez. Fifty years, who knows how much of our treasure, and a dead Hannibal, all to end up where we started.

Thank God Gisco Gisco pulled our asses out of the fire here with a bum rush at Rome. All hail Gisco Gisco, the Sophet so nice they named him twice!

yeah felt a bit cheap to grab their capital for better peace terms, but the Romans did it a bunch of times historically so I figured why not

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I have to admit, getting delenda est'd right out of the loving gate would have been pretty goddamn hilarious.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 31, 2022

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

hashashash posted:

yeah felt a bit cheap to grab their capital for better peace terms, but the Romans did it a bunch of times historically so I figured why not

Literally "when in Rome"

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
And people were saying we should maybe wait: nope, Rome is scarier every day.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Lmao

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

NewMars posted:

And people were saying we should maybe wait: nope, Rome is scarier every day.

tbf it's been like 70 years of war and Rome is still stupid strong -- so the plan now is to have a bit of peace, save a ton of gold, go ham on mil tech, triple the size of the navy, then go at them one more time

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

how much could a century of hot war cost, michael? ten ducats?

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
:stonk: Good Lord.

Luca_024
Dec 26, 2022

SirPhoebos posted:

I have to admit, getting delenda est'd right out of the loving gate would have been pretty goddamn hilarious.

Especially while under the tutelage of the mighty Gisco Gisco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Jesus loving christ, how strong are these Rome buffs?