Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Step 1: Introduce Americans to Anglicanism
Step 2: Formalize American Empire and create a social ideology where they justify this by believing that they are the embodiment of fairness, order and good government on earth
Step 3: Make championing or embodying this ideology the pathway to professional advancement and social recognition
Step 4: American Thomas Arnold
Step 5: Bobbies on the Beat, The Constables and the Crowd, a Policeman’s Duty etc.
Step 6: Police 2: A Truly Commanding Policeman Never Needs to Brandish His Service Weapon
Step 7: Harmony and peace abounding

Step 7a: Ignore disturbing results like when the American police chief of Shanghai develops a detailed manual for killing people with knives and even designs his own knife to be given to officers.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 05:48 on Dec 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Dreylad posted:

the fact that he apparently removed the book from his bio is brutal.

lol drat

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I really felt for the Jewish guy who was a fan of Celine. must be rough to know definitively that your favorite author hates your guts.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

ah i was wondering what the deal was with the Omidyar shade, had never heard of them before. Yeah thats a bit grim lmao

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

congrats to taibbi's recent career move aging well

https://twitter.com/mtaibbi/status/1602699679225241600

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Hope Matt has fun investigating the phantom antifa stalker.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I continue to lmao at Matt hitching his career to Elon Musk after last night's "assassination coordinates" meltdown.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

ah i was wondering what the deal was with the Omidyar shade, had never heard of them before. Yeah thats a bit grim lmao

It's really funny to see people from the intercept make fun of people like Glenn for taking Thiel money. Like they fundamentally do the same thing except it's from the "good" oligarch.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Glenn happily took money from omidyar before he took money from thiel

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Omidyar paid 100% of Glenn's salary for years

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ryan grim gets really defensive whenever yo uask him how much of omidyar's money still pays his salary

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

What are some morally good companies I can work for and take money from?

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Chevron

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Rand Corporation

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

the drug cartels

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

draftkings

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
I dearly hope the next episode is the Anibale one they were spitballing focusing on D'Annunzio. It's a loving crime that the only podcast that has covered him is the lovely Robert Evans one.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jonah Galtberg posted:

What are some morally good companies I can work for and take money from?

Raytheon

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Zedhe Khoja posted:

I dearly hope the next episode is the Anibale one they were spitballing focusing on D'Annunzio. It's a loving crime that the only podcast that has covered him is the lovely Robert Evans one.

it’s probably for the best that D’Annunzio isn’t more well known in the Anglosphere. he was an extremely interesting character, which is also what makes him so dangerous. he was the kind of guy certain people seek to emulate.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

The Empire Never Ended is good and did have an episode about D'Annunzio

https://twitter.com/tenepod/status/1398298660778221571

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Italian Mishima

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Grevling posted:

The Empire Never Ended is good and did have an episode about D'Annunzio

https://twitter.com/tenepod/status/1398298660778221571

Their line on D'Annunzio and a bunch of the other proto-fascists is something like "I should probably hate them more, but they're too silly" and that's pretty much how I feel about all the avant-gardist modern reactionaries who were immediately sidelined by actual fascists.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Plutonis posted:

Italian Mishima

lmao

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I got sucked into the music break on this episode and almost fell asleep.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I got sucked into the music break on this episode and almost fell asleep.

I listen to a lot of ambient while I work. I really like Brendan's work and I wish more of it was available on bandcamp.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

for some reason I kept confusing taibi with yglesias until this video

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1608900152433205249

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

:)
)

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

incredible

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
lamo

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I bet he broke down and cried about it

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
I was rereading the War Nerd Iliad and I came across this line I just had to share. Remember Dolan is not trying to provide a word to word translation of the poetry but replicate the humor and mnemonic tricks with the paragraph structure:

quote:

. Hector's plan is working. As the Greeks collect to contain one breakthrough, other points along the wall are left with no defenders. Sarpedon the Lycian sees a gap and pushes his men into it. The Greeks throw everything they have at him, but he's a hungry lion hunting towards a sheep pen, paying no mind to the commoners' shouts or the rocks they throw.
. Sarpedon drags his friend Glaukos up to the wall, shouting, "We must break through! Nobles, lead the way! War is when we nobles earn our meat, when we show our peasants why they feed us!"
. At that moment, Glaukos falls with an arrow in his shoulder. Then Ajax dropped a boulder on the head of Sarpedon's friend, Epikles. Epikles helmet is crushed as flat as a gold cup lying in the grave. His head is broken; everything goes dark for him.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lmao

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

been listening to the trueanon synanon series, tough listening, very distressing at times

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Nothus posted:

I listen to a lot of ambient while I work. I really like Brendan's work and I wish more of it was available on bandcamp.

As a fellow ambient-head I agree that Brendan's intermissions are fantastic.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Yadoppsi posted:

I was rereading the War Nerd Iliad and I came across this line I just had to share. Remember Dolan is not trying to provide a word to word translation of the poetry but replicate the humor and mnemonic tricks with the paragraph structure:

lmao, good bit

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lobster shirt posted:

been listening to the trueanon synanon series, tough listening, very distressing at times

fun conceptual times ahead when you realise why the violence is critical for the induction new cult members

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

oh my god

quote:

CW: Matt has people who follow his blogs and stuff like that. Felix has the people who try to riff with him in [Twitter] replies and end up becoming reactionaries a year later....

MC: So many supervillains have been created in Felix's replies, where people have just languished without a pity fave and then became reactionaries.

CW: Felix's un-faved replies are like the vat of acid that the Joker gets dropped into.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

hello Mr. eXile sir, could you please get me in touch with the incomparable Solzhenitsyn? 🥺

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

This is related to the Serbia episode from a while back but Rolling Stones did a deep dive on Arkan and the tigers.

https://investigation.rollingstone.com/dj-photo-war-crimes-bosnia/