Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1608947692314714113

NL West locked up, why would the Dodgers even try to compete???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Well I hope he's DHing because 3B is one of the spots they're actually ok at.

Whatever, it's a year and they're at best third in the division either way.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

:cheers:

Heard some rumors that Longo's looking to play one more year before retiring. Hope he stays healthy and has a great sendoff if this is the end of the line.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

:thunk:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the astros absolutely should not sign trevor bauer in my opinion

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Sydin posted:

Considering it's two teams now the issue presumably has to be that they've found some kind of degenerative or similar issue with Correa's surgically reconstructed leg that is making people flinch at offering him significant years.

there was a lot of chatter about a week ago over a hard slide he had in a game this past September that caused him to limp off the field. if it caused any kind of damage to the fibula he had repaired in 2014, it would make a lot of sense as to why teams are balking at his physical now and not last year when he was on the market

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Look, I hate the Astros as much as anyone else, but as far as I can see this article does not actually exist on their SBNation site and it's a pretty mean thing to make up about their fanbase. You can just make fun of the Astros from basically any other acceptable angle instead of having to resort to this.

e: Oh, the article got made then got taken down. Hmm. Not a great look, my mistake.

https://twitter.com/Goose1701/status/1608906063952367617

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Why is it a discussion worth having? The answer for any fanbase/team should be "nope" end of story. We don't need to pontificate on if we should give an abuser a 2nd (3rd?) chance just because he's good at pitching.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'd respect a team that blatantly cheated next season over a team that signed and played Bauer and it's not even particularly close.

e. Like banging the cans sucks and everybody who did it is a coward, but also it was at least funny and ultimately harmless outside of the integrity of the sport. Bauer beat a woman unconscious and then raped her, that he now seems like a lock to pitch one way or another next season is disgusting.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 31, 2022

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Sydin posted:

I'd respect a team that blatantly cheated next season over a team that signed and played Bauer and it's not even particularly close.

e. Like banging the cans sucks and everybody who did it is a coward, but also it was at least funny and ultimately harmless outside of the integrity of the sport. Bauer beat a woman unconscious and then raped her, that he now seems like a lock to pitch one way or another next season is disgusting.

Agreed.

Popete posted:

Why is it a discussion worth having? The answer for any fanbase/team should be "nope" end of story. We don't need to pontificate on if we should give an abuser a 2nd (3rd?) chance just because he's good at pitching.

Agreed.

I know I rarely post, but seriously, I hope the Astros don't even contemplate signing that piece of poo poo.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

This is gonna be so off the mark by the end of the 2023 season. Mariners with 83 wins? Really? also lmao Padres

https://twitter.com/MLBMetrics/status/1607883897248817152?s=20&t=czhVhh8LdYYjJ5CdWKHUHA

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I really don't think the Rays as constructed are going to win 94 games

That offense is very unimpressive, to be kind

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Imasalmon posted:

Agreed.

Agreed.

I know I rarely post, but seriously, I hope the Astros don't even contemplate signing that piece of poo poo.

Holy poo poo dude, how's it going? Happy Holidays to you and yours!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
lol, Mets only win 103?

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

MrMidnight posted:

This is gonna be so off the mark by the end of the 2023 season. Mariners with 83 wins? Really? also lmao Padres

https://twitter.com/MLBMetrics/status/1607883897248817152?s=20&t=czhVhh8LdYYjJ5CdWKHUHA

Dodgers barely better than the Guardians :lol:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

General Bullshit posted:

Dodgers barely better than the Guardians :lol:

I think they are worse on paper than last years team. They're depending on some young guys to step up, and on guys like Thor and JD Mart.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
They're not 16 21 wins worse (whoops was thinking of the Astros win total)

Probably

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bulls game keeps showing Blake Snell sitting courtside like he's an actual celebrity.

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
The Orioles’ new Chief Content Officer is a true fan:

https://twitter.com/calnbc/status/12339375696?s=46&t=PE8jGcIBT-JjVFSm305nGA

https://twitter.com/lockedonorioles/status/1608856165559201792?s=46&t=PE8jGcIBT-JjVFSm305nGA

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

davecrazy posted:

lol, Mets only win 103?

It’s the Mets, they will probably miss the playoffs somehow.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

hell yeah

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
George Steinbrenners mistress died. RIP Barbra Walters.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

MrMidnight posted:

excuse me the rangers signed like two new players so lock them in for 140 wins

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

kensei posted:

Holy poo poo dude, how's it going? Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Got married almost 3 years ago, bought a house and had a baby this year, while watching my Astros win their 2nd WS. I can't complain!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

MrMidnight posted:

Yup, we won 90 games two years in a row and now have a full year of Castillo on top of our rotation, but we're going to lose 7 more games this year.

Checks out.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
It’s hard to believe the White Sox project to be so mediocre given the energy around the team just what, two years ago? Reinsdorf is such a bum.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

MrMidnight posted:

These models always are irrationally high on the Yankees.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really don't think the Rays as constructed are going to win 94 games

That offense is very unimpressive, to be kind

Maybe, but they averaged that easily the last 5 years if you stretch the 2020 season to 162 games.
Wins the last 5 years;

So it's obviously Devil(rays) magic!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Rays don't need offense because they've already acquired some no name unranked minor league pitcher during a trade 7 months ago that nobody remembers who will win the Cy Young in 2023.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

Hosmer could be had for the league minimum since SD's still on the hook for three more years of him (lmao) and he's a lefty. I think a good manager could reasonably use him to mentor and ease Mervis into the bigs. Ross is enamored with old players who can't hit for poo poo though so if the Cubs pick him up look forward to 500 AB's for Hosmer and like, maybe 60 for Mervis if he's lucky.
Why would you want Hosmer mentoring a young player? He’s known for:
-being bad at the easiest defensive position
-hitting the ball very hard into the ground and refusing any coaching advice about hitting the ball in the air

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MrMidnight posted:

The Padres have finished 20+ games back of LA each of the last two seasons. So figures that this year they’ll finish 10 games up instead.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

Why would you want Hosmer mentoring a young player? He’s known for:
-being bad at the easiest defensive position
-hitting the ball very hard into the ground and refusing any coaching advice about hitting the ball in the air

He's a veteran player that, for all his faults, knows the grind and presumably has some wisdom to impart to younger players. If given the choice I'd prefer Mervis to platoon with Wisdom and Morel get a genuine shot at winning 3B, but I understand picking up Hosmer in a vacuum. Again though I don't think Ross would handle it well.

bawfuls posted:

The Padres have finished 20+ games back of LA each of the last two seasons. So figures that this year they’ll finish 10 games up instead.

The Dodgers have lost 11.5 fWAR between both Turners, Bellinger, and Heaney, and as far as I can remember have done nothing to positively replace it outside of picking up Syndergaard. Meanwhile the Padres signed Xander (6.1 fWAR), Carp (2.3 fWAR), and will get a full year of out Soto in 2023 instead of just a couple months.

I think 90 wins for the Dodgers is an underestimate and 100 for the Padres is an overestimate, but also I think both teams will be closer than people think next year.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Every winter I read the same stories about how this is the season where the Padres really contend for the division. I’ll believe it when I see it.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

chilihead posted:

Maybe, but they averaged that easily the last 5 years if you stretch the 2020 season to 162 games.
Wins the last 5 years;

So it's obviously Devil(rays) magic!

Man, 2020's going to gently caress up stats literally forever. I spent a good 10 seconds trying to remember if there was some weird outlier year in the last few where the Rays were just godawful.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

bawfuls posted:

Every winter I read the same stories about how this is the season where the Padres really contend for the division. I’ll believe it when I see it.

This but the rest of the AL West.

Oh by the way thanks for recommending Tipping Pitches. I've been enjoying it for a few weeks now.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

RCarr posted:

It’s the Mets, they will probably miss the playoffs somehow.

I think it's come up before that most projections are very reluctant to give more than 100 wins or I think fewer than 70 wins

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1609024308570882052

Farewell sweet child.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

So close Steve...

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

He should pitch a 1/3 of an inning and then retire. Oh then that messes up being nice. drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

steve cishet