Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

War Wizard posted:

I'm still running around with Law route princess. Need to beat the game. But once I do I have to let her die to get Lord Denam? Will I need to get to an anchor point? Is it it's own point?

You'll naturally cross an anchor point--there's one in between Barnicia and getting the Lord classmarks. That won't affect your later endgame anchor point, though. Each anchor point is handled separately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prowler
May 24, 2004

War Wizard posted:

I'm still running around with Law route princess. Need to beat the game. But once I do I have to let her die to get Lord Denam? Will I need to get to an anchor point? Is it it's own point?

A bit more info:

Basically, everything you do in the past is self-contained. Anchor points are only overwritten when you progress the story past it--and they only become part of your "canon" run when you beat the game with the same changes from that anchor point on.

So, an example: you recruit Arycelle near the end of Chapter 3 and beat the game. Canon--she's alive. You warp back to chapter 2 and accidentally kill her in a battle, keep progressing through battles to the next anchor point and save. You warp back to the end of Chapter 3. Arycelle will still be there. She only won't be there if you go back to that last anchor point and play until you update that anchor point. Even if you play all the way to the hanging gardens with her canonically dead but don't beat it, she'll still be alive in your Warren Report when you warp forward to CODA.

It makes recruiting one or two people a giant pain if you missed them before*. Honestly, as far as time travel goes, I like the rules they have.

*aside from the fact that you can stomp on all these battles easily now.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I mostly just want to know if I have to reach an anchor point upon getting Lord Denam. I don't really want to update the Warren report with a dead sister, so I'd prefer to get the class and run, but I don't know if it works that way.

I understand having to set the prerequisites in the past and "save" them with an ⚓.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 30, 2022

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mr. Lobe posted:

I never played the psp port, so after finishing CODA 4, I'm sad that I've exhausted the story of the existing ogre series just now. I really hope some day that world is touched on some more somehow

I'd do terrible things for more Ogre series and more Ivalice stuff. Sadly I don't think the success of TO:R is going to be enough to bring it all back together but who knows?

Prowler
May 24, 2004

War Wizard posted:

I mostly just want to know if I have to reach an anchor point upon getting Lord Denam. I don't really want to update the Warren report with a dead sister, so I'd prefer to get the class and run, but I don't know if it works that way.

I understand having to set the prerequisites in the past and "save" them with an ⚓.

Nope. You can swoop in, let your sister die, and swoop away. Even if you updated another anchor point with her death, it wouldn't update in "canon." You have to beat the game again, starting from the first change you make and playing through the entire game, for those changes to stick.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Levantine posted:

I'd do terrible things for more Ogre series and more Ivalice stuff. Sadly I don't think the success of TO:R is going to be enough to bring it all back together but who knows?

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath. Still, who knows, the world is full of surprises. I didn't see Reborn happening, and and we got that

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Levantine posted:

Denam, Destin, Tartaros, and Magnus team up to take down High Priest Sardian.

Who says no.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

waah posted:

Who says no.

I need a refresher on the plot but the implication is that 3 regions (Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, and Ogre Battle 64) open gateways to hell in a short amount of time right? Seems like hell needs an rear end kicking.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

WarpedLichen posted:

I need a refresher on the plot but the implication is that 3 regions (Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, and Ogre Battle 64) open gateways to hell in a short amount of time right? Seems like hell needs an rear end kicking.

Well yes but that happens after the revolt against Sardian, when he is backed into a corner and opens yet another chaos gate or something

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Prowler posted:

Nope. You can swoop in, let your sister die, and swoop away. Even if you updated another anchor point with her death, it wouldn't update in "canon." You have to beat the game again, starting from the first change you make and playing through the entire game, for those changes to stick.

So on my second playthrough (Law route), I can let Caitua die to get the Lord classmark, but on the third playthrough (Neutral), keep her alive to have all Coda episodes?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
You need the Princess ending on the Law route to enable all CODA episodes.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah - I'm not sure if it works exactly like in the PSP version, but it's definitely not any more restrictive and there I believe you needed all of the named and recruitable characters which appear in Coda scenes to still be alive in the Warren Report. That is, specifically: Catiua, Vyce, Canopus, Mirdyn, and Gildas. Since Gildas is always recruited in Law/Chaos and Canopus+Mirdyn are recruited in all routes, if you're the typical player who doesn't let named characters die then you just have to worry about getting Law for Vyce and Princess for Catiua.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 31, 2022

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

waah posted:

Who says no.

I've been waiting for this game for 20 some years so why not wait 20 more? I'm in.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Keep in mind there are some pretty big spoilers on his account but my gosh this person is talented and makes the art I want to see.

https://twitter.com/miyama_BB/status/1607712601089376259?s=20&t=43iFwR2YMxwLYAM6OspYsw

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Equeen posted:

So on my second playthrough (Law route), I can let Caitua die to get the Lord classmark, but on the third playthrough (Neutral), keep her alive to have all Coda episodes?

One note is that you don't have to finish the game on any of these other routes if you don't want to. You don't overwrite an anchor point until you actually cross it, so if you stop short of the final boss on your Neutral route for example, you won't overwrite whatever you did on the Law route. Similarly if you don't kill the final boss on your Law route playthrough, you won't overwrite your Princess ending anchor point and can continue from there, though if you want to see the Lord ending you'll have do to that.

Azran posted:

You need the Princess ending on the Law route to enable all CODA episodes.

That's not necessarily true anymore. You need the Princess ending, yes, but you no longer need your endgame anchor point to be on the Law route. You just need Vyce (and other necessary non-Catiua characters) in your party, their Warren Report status doesn't matter. I think that might be different from the PSP version.

(admittedly the above is just what I've read, though, I haven't tested it myself so there's a chance it could be wrong)

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 31, 2022

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I got this game for Christmas and have been trudging along, but is there a way to make archers actually good? I know they apparently nerfed them for this release, but it seems like my archers do pitiful damage against anything that isn't a mage, and even then the damage is mediocre. It's driving me crazy because 90% of the bonus objectives seem to be "win with an archer in the party."

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Iirc they were nerfed harder than intended because of an oversight with the numbers, so maybe hope for a patch since there’s that and a bunch of other stuff apparently not working as intended. You eventually get a unique archer with pretty phenomenal archer relevant stats that translates to “okay against squishies” instead of meh.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Darth Nat posted:

I got this game for Christmas and have been trudging along, but is there a way to make archers actually good? I know they apparently nerfed them for this release, but it seems like my archers do pitiful damage against anything that isn't a mage, and even then the damage is mediocre. It's driving me crazy because 90% of the bonus objectives seem to be "win with an archer in the party."

Have them hoover up +phys, with their reach they can make the best use of it. Also, prioritize the soft squishy backliners

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
as they are right now, archers are best at executing clerics and mages and not much good at much else (aside from status effect finishers). winged archers help, arycelle helps too.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Darth Nat posted:

Just ignore that bonus objective :v:

Not really, no. Archers are basically good for status effects and that's it. You can either use the bow/crossbow finishers for their status effects, apply whatever status effect your weapon may have at 100% rate after you use Tremendous Shot / Eagle Eye procs or simply knock enemies to their deaths into pits with Tremendous Shot.
As a class, they have zero utility. Weapon finishers can be done by anyone that can equip them. There are a handful of weapons that can apply useful status effects, the best of which are unlocked very late in the game.

Archers are bad and got nerfed way too hard.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

As much as I enjoy this version and like the overall mechanical changes, it's either a) profoundly broken, like SNES era Final Fantasy-level broken with stats that just plain aren't doing anything, or b) so unclear and obscure in how its mechanics work that it appears SNES era Final Fantasy-level broken even to veterans of other versions running tests.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Breach + terror is mostly all you can do. Archers are like triple nerfed right now but the DEF buff against ranged attacks is the Big One. Everyone gets a huge multiplier on raw defense against ranged attacks so you have to reduce their DEF for things to matter. Backliners have low DEF so things mostly work out against them.

I wouldn't expect a buff on archers. The bug about multipliers has been further isolated to physical damage multipliers always check the slashing resistance. They may fix that I suppose but the DEF multiplier certainly seems very decisive in hindsight. A named Archer is pretty decent on like chapters 2-3 (where enemy mages get magic upgrades before you do) but it's pretty "to your taste" after that!

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
My experience has been that Archers have noticeably lower damage than melee classes, but it's still effective at least well into Chapter 4 against enemies who are breached or wearing light armor. They also have a neat ramp-up effect where Tremendous Shot and Double Shot both increase damage but unlike finishers allow you to get MP from hits, so each shot helps charge up for the next once you get it going.

I've cleared everything prior to Heim plus the sidequests except the elemental temples which I'm currently working through and PotD. Fusiliers do a lot more damage than before and can straight up shoot through walls so I often find myself bringing Lindl instead, but Arycelle as an Archer is still pretty useful on maps with a squishy target or where I have a good terrain height advantage. I don't bring her to every map but it's pretty common.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Harrow posted:

As much as I enjoy this version and like the overall mechanical changes, it's either a) profoundly broken, like SNES era Final Fantasy-level broken with stats that just plain aren't doing anything, or b) so unclear and obscure in how its mechanics work that it appears SNES era Final Fantasy-level broken even to veterans of other versions running tests.
If you're referring to Coffee's video about what's broken, he got quite a bit wrong apparently. Asvel and Gibbed seem to have been working pretty hard to figure out stuff.

https://asvel.github.io/tacticsogre/damage-factors

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rascyc posted:

If you're referring to Coffee's video about what's broken, he got quite a bit wrong apparently. Asvel and Gibbed seem to have been working pretty hard to figure out stuff.

https://asvel.github.io/tacticsogre/damage-factors

I'm mostly referring to the bugs listed here, but I'm not sure which of these are just taking Coffee's video at face value and which are up to date: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2902182654

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

It is kind of astonishing how buggy this game is, and yet how playable it remains despite that. I have to wonder if a year from now, supposing they actually try to fix things, if it will play considerably differently

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
Archers seem pointless early game.

Meanwhile octopi and griffons are top tier in this version and it's awesome.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Levantine posted:

If TO:R beats expectations and they still don't greenlight new Ogre Battle games then the only way it'll happen is if something happens like YoshiP telling them to let a team make more Ogre games or he's going to start a new studio and take his team with him.

WarpedLichen posted:

MOTB's stuff is all taken care of by the time Tactics Ogre and OB64 happen. Any remaining open portal will have been dealt with by Destin, Tristan, and the others. IIRC the canonical ending to MOTB has Galf being destroyed so between that and Tristan having had the (brief) help of the sky knights the only way any threat remains in Zenobia is if it did a really good job hiding.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 31, 2022

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Harrow posted:

I'm mostly referring to the bugs listed here, but I'm not sure which of these are just taking Coffee's video at face value and which are up to date: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2902182654
It's a better list. You can see how a few of them are like guesswork on how things should be working though, when it seems more like a lot of these decisions were conscious nerfs or major changes to how elemental damage works. They really should fix the dang tooltips though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rascyc posted:

It's a better list. You can see how a few of them are like guesswork on how things should be working though, when it seems more like a lot of these decisions were conscious nerfs or major changes to how elemental damage works. They really should fix the dang tooltips though.

Yea it seems to be this. Combined with a small budget they just went for the simplest, if least elegant, way to achieve those results.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I kept Arycelle relevant by giving her a gun. She actually killed the final boss!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah if things are working how they're supposed to with things like elemental damage, elemental resistance, and stuff like that, then tooltips should definitely be updated to reflect that.

Either way, I'm sure I'll be re-buying this on PC one day once some cool mods start coming out. I really like the bones of this version--I like the skill system overall (though I've posted before about how I wish a few of the auto-skills were activated instead), I like the streamlined character building, I like the buff cards, etc. I wish endgame balance wasn't quite so skewed by the raw power of summons and that equipment had some of the complexity that it appears to but that don't actually work, but otherwise I think it's really good.

I don't know if it'll ever happen but a hypothetical One Vision Reborn mod would probably kick rear end.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Archers don't do a lot of damage but 100% chance to silence with baldur bow +1 has made them mvps for me most of chapter 3 and early chapter 4.

A lot of mage bosses just get wrecked if eagle eye procs early, and if not you have tremendous shot for 100% silence.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Evil Fluffy posted:

If TO:R beats expectations and they still don't greenlight new Ogre Battle games then the only way it'll happen is if something happens like YoshiP telling them to let a team make more Ogre games or he's going to start a new studio and take his team with him.

MOTB's stuff is all taken care of by the time Tactics Ogre and OB64 happen. Any remaining open portal will have been dealt with by Destin, Tristan, and the others. IIRC the canonical ending to MOTB has Galf being destroyed so between that and Tristan having had the (brief) help of the sky knights the only way any threat remains in Zenobia is if it did a really good job hiding.

Let me tell you about a certain character named Rudlum who is really Rashidi.

Since this occurs entirely after MotB and I believe one of the non-canonical endings of OB64 has a reincarnated version of one of the big bad evils, no one is in in the clear.

In addition the revelations about CODA1 and the fact that its common knowledge that Wicces are uncommon but not always good and definitely ripe for lots of danger when the wrong person stumbles upon that power.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One other small gripe (again about a game that I have overall been enjoying immensely): I really wish 1-2 range spears were still available at endgame. I liked how One Vision did it, where you could use crafting to change from 1-2 range to 2-3 range, but in the absence of that I wish they'd just picked a couple of the late/endgame spears and made them 1-2 range. I don't even really care which ones. Holy Lance, Tlaloc's Bolt, Pavana, Dark Spear, Cursed Spear, whichever, just pick a couple and make them 1-2 range and I'd be happy.

In general I like 2-3 range spears. I think you gain more than you lose with those. I'd just like to have the option for 1-2 range if I wanted it--for example, on a tanky Lord build who I want to have in the thick of things but I also want to have Giga Tempest and Spiral Scourge on. Being able to hit right next to himself (without a finisher or Berserk) would be more useful to him than being able to hit 3 tiles away.

These are things I'll look forward to eventual mods for when I inevitably replay this game on a regular basis.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

waah posted:

Let me tell you about a certain character named Rudlum who is really Rashidi.

I thought he was Albeleo, not Rashidi.

doomfunk fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 31, 2022

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

WarpedLichen posted:

Archers don't do a lot of damage but 100% chance to silence with baldur bow +1 has made them mvps for me most of chapter 3 and early chapter 4.

A lot of mage bosses just get wrecked if eagle eye procs early, and if not you have tremendous shot for 100% silence.
Also super good on the hybrid bosses for forcing them to go physical, since you can't have both the mag/phys debuffs up.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
I kinda wish they kept the old magic and skills systems rather than overhauling them like they did.

There's absolutely some bias here (I like buying skills and making builds, and I like status effects (at least conceptually :v:) and having options) and there could absolutely be some nostalgia goggles, but it's like the one part of Reborn I just flat-out dislike. Which sucks because if I do wanna indulge in that the PSP version is... way less friendly otherwise.

Auto-skills can mostly stay, but defensive auto-skills are an absolute pain in the rear end when enemies use them.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Yeah, unless they massively changed something doomfunk is 100% correct. Rashidi factors into the ending of OB64 specifically and goddamn I wish there had been more games in this series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

doomfunk posted:

I thought he was Albeleo, not Rashidi.

Yes. I got them mixed up. Tactics ogre was is the one that begins with the letter A.

OB64 has Rashidi