Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I have seen other people suggest the things that happen when you fail checks are what Old Harry would have done in that situation. Unthinkingly calling Kim a slur, putting his gun in his mouth and threatening suicide because he's not getting his way, having a crying meltdown at a teenager in public, I mean the list goes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

You have to succeed at a check to shoot cunoesse tho.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Cpt_Obvious posted:

shes an actual demon, not a child

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I ended up a high empathy sorry cop communard because I can barely be mean to people in regular video games, upsetting Kim might actually kill me.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Yeah, not even the Old Harry would've done that, you monster!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Fair.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I’m doing a racist/facist/not touching the body run rn and it actually sucks really bad. But I want to get the worst outcome on the tribunal and just gently caress this whole thing up and see what happens

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

i am a moron posted:

I’m doing a racist/facist/not touching the body run rn and it actually sucks really bad. But I want to get the worst outcome on the tribunal and just gently caress this whole thing up and see what happens

I think you can get the worst outcome easily by ignoring the quest to get your gun and letting Ruby survive... Which is what I did my first playthrough :smith:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

How does letting ruby survive impact the tribunal?

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Cpt_Obvious posted:

How does letting ruby survive impact the tribunal?

If she dies you can take her gun. No dead Ruby, no extra gun if your didn't get your own.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
If Ruby survives you don't get her gun and if you don't help out Mr. Evrart, he won't help you find your gun, so if both of those things are true, you'll be walking into the tribunal unarmed.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

King Carnivore posted:

If Ruby survives you don't get her gun and if you don't help out Mr. Evrart, he won't help you find your gun, so if both of those things are true, you'll be walking into the tribunal unarmed.
You also have to ignore the spirit quest.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
God, the game feels so much more complete with the political quests that it's hard to imagine it ever being without them.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Youremother posted:

Yeah, not even the Old Harry would've done that, you monster!

You have the pass the check to not miss.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Xander77 posted:

And the tie.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Xander77 posted:

How does that help/change things?

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Oxyclean posted:

How does that help/change things?

The Spirit Bomb is your backup, backup weapon. No gun and no flaming alcohol cocktail means you are completely defenseless against the Tribunal and are guaranteed the worst possible outcome.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm not sure I understand what the spirit bomb is? Basically I'm asking what the spirt quest gives you to use in the tribunal. I ended up with the hustle one but didn't see it through - I saw someone else do the full ultraliberal sidequest, but I can't imagine that networth would be very effective against the mercs. I thought the spirit bomb was just the tie+booze, not related to the political quests.

e: I think I see the issue, Im mixing up "spirit quest" with "political quest"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Spirit Bomb is more narratively satisfying since it completes the necktie's redemption arc from horrific to beautiful. Also, if you see it as a pseudo-noose on the ceiling fan, it ultimately ends up being used to save Harry.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Speaking of guns

I never got my gun back and I let Ruby go. I went into the tribunal completely unarmed.

I was shot but only injured, Kim survived. Titus and a few of the boys also died. I was honestly shocked there weren’t more casualties on my side of things.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I’ve also been playing this run with 0 clothes on. So far only a Voilition check, a shivers check, and Kim saying I needed pants has mentioned it. But I’m hoping I’ll find other payoffs for it later

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Caufman posted:

The real anarchist's cookbook is an actual cookbook.

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice
Has anybody mentioned yet that the title screen background looks like it's from the perspective of the sniper just before he takes the shot?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

yes but it's a cool detail that bears repeating

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Youremother posted:

The Spirit Bomb is your backup, backup weapon.

It's the inverse; the Bomb is the primary weapon, and the guns are the backups.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Oyak posted:

Has anybody mentioned yet that the title screen background looks like it's from the perspective of the sniper just before he takes the shot?

A few people. But it's always great when someone else notices, then does so as well.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Oyak posted:

Ah, gently caress

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Oyak posted:

God drat this game keeps on giving. Hadn’t heard/seen that before, thank you.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I think that particular bit of theory is more contested than it sounds, but I maintain that it's true because it's pretty cool to think about

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Is it contested? The dialogue when you investigate the sniper's nest even describes the view as being like a landscape painting. If you look carefully you can even see the exact light of Klassje's room as described in the scene.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If it isn't the island then it's directly in front of the island. What clinches it for me is that you can see the dock and the church on the left bank of the canal, but not the shuttered factory, an ommission that only makes sense if the scene is depicting the sniper's perspective and isn't just a picture of the game world. Even though I know where it should be if I'm honest I can't pick out the Whirling Rags though.

coiol
Dec 16, 2004

I dress like a girl and drink like a man. Please date-rape me.
I bought DE on Steam sale a year ago but I’ve realized I never play games on my computer (MacBook) and I probably won’t get around to it. Is it better to go with Switch or PS5? I’ll probably be using headphones either way since my TV sound system isn’t great.

Edit: I guess I’m asking if the PS5 version adds enough to the experience as far as graphics (or anything else?) to make up for not being able to play in bed.

coiol fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 2, 2023

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The Switch version had disgustingly long load times, they were improved in a patch but I don't know by how much.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Just play it on your mac you goof.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

buy it on literally every platform and just kinda... fall into your favorite port

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

coiol posted:

Edit: I guess I’m asking if the PS5 version adds enough to the experience as far as graphics (or anything else?) to make up for not being able to play in bed.

The game is extremely text heavy and all the text is displayed in a narrow column on the right hand side of the screen. I highly suspect that playing it in handheld mode would suck pretty hard because of that.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I think my favorite dialog option in this game was Start crying. and I wish you could have done it more

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

YggiDee posted:

The Switch version had disgustingly long load times, they were improved in a patch but I don't know by how much.

A fair amount of the technical hiccups have been ironed out. The load times are still not great but the lockups are basically cleaned up. Text size isn’t really an issue either

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Node posted:

I think my favorite dialog option in this game was Start crying. and I wish you could have done it more

Disco Elysium 2 needs a dedicated cry button, and if you hold it long enough you pass out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

If you cry in the game you cry for real.