Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

The time is absolutely right to receive this concept of Luthor, particularly as the supervillain origin story. "Once, This Was Harmless Fun. Then, Cancel Culture Came for Me." Online hate mobs directed against the MSM journalist who publicized the stories of the victims. And isn't her "friend" Superman too "woke" these days? Twitter posts followed by 100 reply guys with "Virgin Superman vs. Chad Luthor" memes. And how can I be sexist when I employ a woman driver?!?
Especially since that version of Luthor drew inspiration in part from Donald Trump himself, to the point where the cover of the graphic novel elaborating on his backstory homaged the book cover of "Art of the Deal".

Lobok posted:

If he didn't already exist Superman would be a ridiculous character to create now. Like an 8-year old making up a hero with a grab bag of assorted powers who's as good or better than everyone at everything.
There was a great moment on the Smallville TV show when Clark starts giving Lois the full laundry list of all his powers, which was a hilariously stark contrast to the usual Kryptonite-induced "Freak of the Week" antagonists who each only had a single superpower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

So Beast was always an rear end in a top hat, huh

Don't hate the playaz, hate the A.I.M.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I actually love those Beast panels. Wacky, dramatic stuff happens literally every week in his world and he's tired of people using exclamation marks about it. I respect it.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Lobok posted:

If he didn't already exist Superman would be a ridiculous character to create now. Like an 8-year old making up a hero with a grab bag of assorted powers who's as good or better than everyone at everything.

It'd be the Gremlins 2 pitch meeting sketch, but with a superhero.

"How about super-weaving?"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Really surprised Beast's catchphrase there is not already the new thread title. It's perfect.

Also I hope the fact it was Vulpes who posted it means we see it make a comeback 👀

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Superman Vol 1 #269 (1973)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

How ironic the one power the puppeteer failed to steal was the ventriloquism.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Android Blues posted:

I actually love those Beast panels. Wacky, dramatic stuff happens literally every week in his world and he's tired of people using exclamation marks about it. I respect it.

X-Men came out in the 60's! That's when every sentence ended with an exclamation mark! When it was exciting, you'd use two!! Or three!!! I can definitely see that being annoying!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Avengers also stuck him on monitor duty constantly. Getting screamed at constantly because Stilt Man is now attacking Montreal as the new Herald of Galactus would disillusion a guy pretty fast.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lobok posted:

Really surprised Beast's catchphrase there is not already the new thread title. It's perfect.

Also I hope the fact it was Vulpes who posted it means we see it make a comeback 👀

That doesn’t really fit with modern war crime beast

You make him sassy and he’s just Mr. Sinister

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Posted before, but it never gets old:

Uncanny X-Men #12 (2013)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

SimonChris posted:

Superman Vol 1 #269 (1973)

(Some time earlier)

"The secret of the puppets is still mine!"

Superman: "Okay, well, Brainiac,"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CharlestheHammer posted:

That doesn’t really fit with modern war crime beast

You make him sassy and he’s just Mr. Sinister

But he's not being sassy. Just telling them to get their poo poo together.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Having read the words "heat vision" several times in the past page, I feel that "vision" is probably the wrong noun for the seering lasers that are generated by your eyes.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Elissimpark posted:

Having read the words "heat vision" several times in the past page, I feel that "vision" is probably the wrong noun for the seering lasers that are generated by your eyes.

burning gaze

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Elissimpark posted:

Laser Eyejaculate

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Stink Eye

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alaois posted:

burning gaze

I don't think the Comics Code allowed any gaze.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Punisher #19 (2003)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Elissimpark posted:

https://twitter.com/prozd/status/901130409337016320?lang=en

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

why do they call it heat vision when you vise-on the cold air but vise-out the hot air

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

He just looks at things SO HARD that they melt or catch on fire, I don't see what's so confusing about that.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

OPTIC BLAST

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

CRIMSON BARRAADJ

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

HOT HOT HEAT

*GETS SUED*

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Something about watching this loop makes me think of Mister Ed and now I can't get the image of some poor intern having to smear peanut butter on The Rock's gums between takes out of my head.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Inkspot posted:

Something about watching this loop makes me think of Mister Ed and now I can't get the image of some poor intern having to smear peanut butter on The Rock's gums between takes out of my head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N66f8CrPOok&t=104s

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Somebody watched The Money Pit.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

The letters page from Nextwave 3

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Elissimpark posted:

I just can't stop thinking about Jack Black and his Owen Wilson motorcycle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lWgXDOAJ5s

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Amazing Spider-Man #380 (1993)

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

SimonChris posted:

Posted before, but it never gets old:

Uncanny X-Men #12 (2013)

Age-revert Hill to a 14-year-old just *once*, and she takes it personally *forever*.

(I mostly enjoy Bachalo's style, but drat, Maria Hill does not take it well.)

The whole page is great, though.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

This is now a Hank McCoy is the loving worst thread

Astonishing X-Men #13

Same issue

Apes together strong

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Nothing beats the time he pretended to be gay as a scientific experiment:

New X-Men #125 (2011)

New X-Men #131 (2011)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Blue Beetle #31 (1944)

Arkham City: The Order of the World #1 (2021)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SimonChris posted:

Nothing beats the time he pretended to be gay as a scientific experiment:

New X-Men #125 (2011)

New X-Men #131 (2011)

It wasn't even a "science experiment." He was just being an rear end in a top hat to his ex and tried to justify it after the fact.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

This stuff is all kind of depressing since I grew up with the wacky, fun, "oh my stars and garters" Beast. I'm not really sure what the writers thought they were gaining by turning him into a shittier Reed Richards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Oh, you know how it goes, one hack writer makes him a little out-of-character for a bit, another hack writer pushes it further, and next thing you know, Kurt Busiek and George Perez are doing a 12-issue maxi-series to try and fix the whole thing

But agreed, classic Beast is wonderful comics