Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Frosted Flake posted:

As Ukrainian officials, it is our duty to ensure the stability and unity of our nation. Unfortunately, certain opposition parties and media outlets have consistently sought to sow discord and division among our people. Their rhetoric and actions have hindered progress and threatened the security of our country.

Therefore, we have made the difficult but necessary decision to temporarily ban these parties and media sources. While we understand that this may be unpopular with some, we believe it is the best course of action in the long term.

We are committed to finding alternative ways to gather feedback and address concerns, including scheduling admin Q&A feedback threads and encouraging people to email forumadmins@slava.ua with any issues that require attention.

We understand that these measures may cause inconvenience in the short term, but we are confident that they will ultimately lead to a stronger and more cohesive nation. Thank you for your understanding and support as we work to bring about positive change for all Ukrainians.

what's this website again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Majorian posted:

I think it was more of a "career" perma than one for that post in particular. Live by the forums drama, die by the forums drama.:rip:

It's sorta that but weirder/funnier. IIRC fly molo made a devil's bargain with jeff to avoid a perma prior to this and the condition for being allowed to continue posting was "just don't be aggro," so he debased himself with the weird "lobotomized molo" kayfabe for months.

This was all after a bunch of incredibly stupid sniping back and forth with jeff in various threads that made them both seem to be engaging in an incredibly cringe grudge / slapfight.

this was always how it was destined to end, but jeff toying with molo like a cat playing with its mortally wounded prey only to brutally disembowel them for a feedback thread post is really something.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I still have no idea what any of you are talking about.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

he should have just called the CIA is he was that interested in gulag archipelago

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lostconfused posted:

the parallers between the war in the ukraine, and our forums wars, that both rage on without a lol in sight

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

man liberals loved that book so much.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

speng31b posted:

It's sorta that but weirder/funnier. IIRC fly molo made a devil's bargain with jeff to avoid a perma prior to this and the condition for being allowed to continue posting was "just don't be aggro," so he debased himself with the weird "lobotomized molo" kayfabe for months.

This was all after a bunch of incredibly stupid sniping back and forth with jeff in various threads that made them both seem to be engaging in an incredibly cringe grudge / slapfight.

this was always how it was destined to end, but jeff toying with molo like a cat playing with its mortally wounded prey only to brutally disembowel them for a feedback thread post is really something.

Oh yeah, that's right! Good memory.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

DancingShade posted:

Really? I mean I guess it might be a surprise if western media is your primary source for anything.

War popularity boosts are notoriously short-lived, and escalating to include reserves doesn't sound like something that would make you more popular.

But who knows :shrug:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Cpt_Obvious posted:

War popularity boosts are notoriously short-lived, and escalating to include reserves doesn't sound like something that would make you more popular.

But who knows :shrug:

Do you get polled in a barrack or in Georgia? One weird trick.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Putin's ratings don't matter, and to me it looks like Medvedev might get another shot at the post again.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Военный Осведомитель posted:

New satellite images of the Engels airbase from December 29 do not show any damage from the latest Ukrainian drone attack attempt.

However, thanks to the image, we can see that some conclusions have been drawn from the results of previous strikes. For example, the number of missile carriers at the base was more than halved, and the distance between the remaining ones was significantly increased. In addition, protective barriers began to be installed near the aircraft parking areas.

@milinfolive
(from t.me/milinfolive/95013, via tgsa)

Protective barriers for aircrafts also appeared at the Belbek airfield in Crimea.

Footage from the Defense Ministry shows several concrete structures separating standing Su-35S, Su-30SM and MiG-31BM fighters.

@milinfolive
(from t.me/milinfolive/95016, via tgsa)

TL;DR - someone woke up and started building up stuff to mitigate damage from ukrainian drones that leak through air defense

(Click thumbnail to open video)

[ Album ]
Archival footage of the Russian paratroopers' battery of 120 mm 2S9 Nona-S self-propelled mortars working against Ukrainian positions near the village of Blagodatnoye on the border of the Kherson and Nikolaev regions.

The battery worked first in groups of six or seven guns, then four at a time, and despite its open position in the middle of the field, it actively changed its position, thus not allowing itself to be caught by counter-battery fire, which the enemy's artillerymen complained about.

As a result of the competent work of the "Non" battery of paratroopers, as well as the attached rocket and barrel artillery of other units, the village of Blagodatnoye was successfully occupied in late August and held until the beginning of the retreat from the right bank of the Dnieper in early November.

@milinfolive
(from t.me/milinfolive/95017, via tgsa)

A few months old content; Russians worked in batteries compared to their Ukrainian counterparts.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Frosted Flake posted:

Was it not an old post in a feedback thread?

it was because jeffery perosnally hated fly molo.

just remember, jeff banned fly molo more times than he banned bust rodd.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Danann posted:

(from t.me/milinfolive/95017, via tgsa)

A few months old content; Russians worked in batteries compared to their Ukrainian counterparts.

the orcs have mastered the art of shift clicking a move order after every fire mission

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Dixon Chisholm posted:

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

little late, but username post combo

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Dixon Chisholm posted:

:eng101: jeff PERMAbanned fly molo more times than he probated bust rodd

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mod decisions are carefully considered behind the scenes and not at all totally capricious actions based on personal preference like the bad old lowtax days

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Something power something absolutely etc

Admittedly, you could argue that protective barriers and counter measure are the type of thing you do before you are 10 months into a war. It is clear that why some modernization happened in terms of equipment and certainly the Russian army isn’t in the state it was during the 90s or even the 00’s, there is certainly the Russians needed their own wake up call.

That said, as far as drones go, I think it is a problem for everyone not just the Russians. It also doesn’t mean traditional air defense is obsolete but rather it is now simply another threat on the battlefield.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 06:27 on Dec 31, 2022

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
something awful

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Megamissen posted:

how did the whole draft thing work out?

the post made it sound a like you didnt live there anymore but have not seen you post a lot so got a bit worried

hey thanks for giving a drat :shobon:

I'm out of the country, have lived abroad most of my life, so the most immediate effect is that I can't visit aging family. Besides this the real concern is if they'll punish expats that draft dodge. I think America did something like this during vietnam so we're dreading something similar being cooked up. I might end up exiled and totally cut off from my european family (and my 'assets' ie apartment etc seized)

This hasn't happened yet, but its a real worry

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm out of the country, have lived abroad most of my life, so the most immediate effect is that I can't visit aging family. Besides this the real concern is if they'll punish expats that draft dodge. I think America did something like this during vietnam so we're dreading something similar being cooked up. I might end up exiled and totally cut off from my european family (and my 'assets' ie apartment etc seized)

I hope none of that happens to you, that sounds like a really lovely situation to be in.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

BULBASAUR posted:

America punished only a tiny percentage of draft dodgers in Vietnam.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

BULBASAUR posted:

Members of my family from Russia who have escaped have had some success with having family members still in the country liquidate their assets and send them the money in another country.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Weka posted:

America punished only a tiny percentage of draft dodgers in Vietnam.

I'm sure that's of great comfort to BULBASAUR.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

How does someone from America even get to Russia right now besides some really contrived multiple step route through Egypt and Turkiye.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Majorian posted:

I'm sure that's of great comfort to BULBASAUR.
It should be.

There wouldn't be so much whining about draft dodgers from the Russians if they were getting punished.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

How does someone from America even get to Russia right now besides some really contrived multiple step route through Egypt and Turkiye.

Cross the bering like a goddamn man

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

A couple of months ago even Ukraine was supposedly not bothering with draft dodgers and there were barely any legal cases being brought against them. Like less then a hunrred, but I could be wrong about this specific detail.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lostconfused posted:

It should be.

There wouldn't be so much whining about draft dodgers from the Russians if they were getting punished.

Great, I hope you're right!

Majorian has issued a correction as of 07:45 on Dec 31, 2022

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Majorian posted:

It seems to me like the Russian government sees this war as far more existentially essential than the U.S. government did with Vietnam, but I could be wrong. Anyway, I hope you're right and the Russian government doesn't do anything stupid.

You wouldn't be able to tell that from everything the Russian government said.

At the very least right now as far as anyone has claimed or could tell, the draft was a mess. And it was mostly because of whatever local officials. It wasn't the big government just throwing people into the meat grinder. It's just lovely bureaucracy like anywhere else where a centralized government exists. Maybe you'd have to show up with a lawyer to the military commissariat or something and tell them to gently caress off. But if you aren't just being thrown naked to the front line you're in about as much danger as anywhere else where someone with a tiny bit of authority might try to railroad you. Maybe even less of a problem than some rear end in a top hat cop.

Edit: the draft is the same poo poo as any other legal bullshit. The people that get hosed are the ones without money at the bottom of society. Anyone with the time, money, or connections will skate by like always. You can say that it's existential, but it's not. It's only existential for the people at the front getting shelled like in Belgorod or Donetsk

Spacetoaster claimed to have family in Crimea or something? How worried are they what with Ukrainian government officials talking about shelling it or sending the army there in recent months.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 08:06 on Dec 31, 2022

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lostconfused posted:

They program a course in their tesla autopilot, say "computer engage program" and let their car autonavigate to Moscow while they take a nap in the drivers seat.

It works a bit like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTO5vhRFCv0

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lostconfused posted:

You wouldn't be able to tell that from everything the Russian government said.

At the very least right now as far as anyone has claimed or could tell, the draft was a mess. And it was mostly because of whatever local officials. It wasn't the big government just throwing people into the meat grinder. It's just lovely bureaucracy like anywhere else where a centralized government exists. Maybe you'd have to show up with a lawyer to the military commissariat or something and tell them to gently caress off. But if you aren't just being thrown naked to the front line you're in about as much danger as anywhere else where someone with a tiny bit of authority might try to railroad you. Maybe even less of a problem than some rear end in a top hat cop.

Edit: the draft is the same poo poo as any other legal bullshit. The people that get hosed are the ones without money at the bottom of society. Anyone with the time, money, or connections will skate by like always. You can say that it's existential, but it's not. It's only existential for the people at the front getting shelled like in Belgorod or Donetsk

Spacetoaster claimed to have family in Crimea or something? How worried are they what with Ukrainian government officials talking about shelling it or sending the army there in recent months.

You're probably right; my point is, the kind thing for us to do would be to acknowledge the validity BULBASAUR's fears in the face of an uncertain future.

\/\/\/I wasn't catching the relevance, but Lostconfused explained it well enough.\/\/\/

Majorian has issued a correction as of 08:16 on Dec 31, 2022

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Sorry I thought assuaging their concerns with a relevant example they bought up was kinder.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Americans can to Istanbul with a evisa for about $1000 round trip, and then buy a second ticket on a smaller carrier. It is done all the time.

Also, supposedly people fire selling their apartments has put some water thrown some water on the bubble in the Moscow housing market. It had gotten, although with much of the world, top heavy in the last few years.

Supposedly, out of the 100,000 IT professionals who left, I think 80,000 are still working online. Everything is very much in flux.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 08:30 on Dec 31, 2022

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Majorian posted:

You're probably right; my point is, the kind thing for us to do would be to acknowledge the validity BULBASAUR's fears in the face of an uncertain future.

And I told the same thing to the guy at work who kept going on about how he always told the family to get out of the country but that it was too late.

It's probably a bit of an over reaction and it's not going to be that bad. The mobilization scared a lot of people, but it's probably not the end of the world. Not yet anyway.

Edit: again, not saying they're wrong. That's just my personal opinion and outlook, and generally I think people should treat the situation a bit more calmly. And also I am not just trying to poo poo talk someone online, I've had this conversation with at least once in person too.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 08:34 on Dec 31, 2022

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

And I told the same thing to the guy at work who kept going on about how he always told the family to get out of the country but that it was too late.

It's probably a bit of an over reaction and it's not going to be that bad. The mobilization scared a lot of people, but it's probably not the end of the world. Not yet anyway.

I would say another wave of mobilization isn't impossible, but at the same time, I know a lot of people I know with military experience were never called up. Also, it is clear that at least some reservists will see frontline combat.

I think a lot of people are just hedging their bets, but at the same time, I think a lot of it is also the first source people usually go to is BBC/Euronews/twitter which may color some of the information they are getting.

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

mlmp08 posted:

Various melty vehicles (no bodies)

Interesting claim here, let’s see if the facts back that up…

I’ve circled the bodies in red. Let’s get this lying, incorrect sack of poo poo out of here.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ardennes posted:

I would say another wave of mobilization isn't impossible, but at the same time, I know a lot of people I know with military experience were never called up. Also, it is clear that at least some reservists will see frontline combat.

I think a lot of people are just hedging their bets, but at the same time, I think a lot of it is also the first source people usually go to is BBC/Euronews/twitter which may color some of the information they are getting.
Yeah I agree. I just think it's more of a choice of do you want to stay in Russia or live somewhere else. If you're staying then you should plan for what happens when you get the draft notice, but getting it doesn't mean that you absolutely have to join the army or go to war. There are other options.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

Yeah I agree. I just think it's more of a choice of do you want to stay in Russia or live somewhere else. If you're staying then you should plan for what happens when you get the draft notice, but getting it doesn't mean that you absolutely have to join the army or go to war. There are other options.

A lot of people ignored their notices or literally just moved when they got them, and a lot of notices were for long-out of date addresses. The government knew that the amount of people they needed was a lot smaller their their reserve poll, so they let a lot slide. I honestly still think they have a significant buffer but doesn't mean on an individual level someone's number won't be called up eventually. Also, a notice is just a piece of paper unless it is signed, and otherwise it is just a minor fine that is rarely collected.

Granted, moving your entire life is easier said than done, but I kind of don't know why you would firesale stuff at this point unless that is a pre-planned financial decision.

I know some people from Moscow than moved to the to here in the US, and I don't know they really have any game plan. The US isn't exactly the land of smiles even if there isn't a draft, although I am told by experts in Russia the streets are in fact paved with gold.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 08:49 on Dec 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Dixon Chisholm posted:

Fly molo hosed Jeff's wife