Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

exmarx posted:

happy new year to president xi and every body in the asia / oceania thread 😎👍

First new year best new year

Much love to the global south

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Hedenius posted:

Back in China for the first time in nearly three years. It’s a weird feeling when all the controls, testing and quarantine stuff is technically in place but nobody gives a poo poo since they know it will all go away in a week or so. We had to spend one night in a hotel to confirm that we tested negative and then we were allowed to go wherever.

i for one am stoked to be leaving china at the exact same moment pcr tests are a pain in the rear end to get and the united states now requires them to get back in so the airliners reaction to any test i give them could be anything from nah we dont need to see anything well take your word for it to sorry we need dr faucis personal signature or we have no choice but to conclude this test result is fake

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

exmarx posted:

happy new year yall

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

exmarx posted:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mila kunis posted:

happy new year yall

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

exmarx posted:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

exmarx posted:

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

exmarx posted:

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

exmarx posted:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

exmarx posted:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

exmarx posted:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

exmarx posted:

shouldn’t we save this for the lunar new year

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

exmarx posted:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Gregorian new year for the Japan goons, Luna new year for the Confucianism region goons. Do we have corespondent in the Indochina region that celebrate Buddhism new year?

Internet Poster
Nov 1, 2020

exmarx posted:

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

exmarx posted:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

gradenko_2000 posted:

The CIA does take advantage of every bit of dissent that it can in target nations whenever the opportunity rears its head

It just doesn't always start the dissent, nor is the dissent always an illegitimate complaint just because the CIA is involved in it

yah

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

exmarx posted:

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

exmarx posted:

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

exmarx posted:

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

exmarx posted:

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
I don't really celebrate the new year but I got a question about an Asian country and nowhere else to ask it. How neoliberal is India? I had a family member bring it up to me as possible opposition to China's ascendance after the fall of the West, and I realized that I don't actually know if India has much in the way of state capacity to actually do stuff aside from enriching billionaires or not.

I honestly don't get the impression that they're really super interested in fighting China for global dominance even if they have been siding more with the US recently but I feel like I should know a bit more about a country with well over a billion people in it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I also don't know a ton about Indian politics, but what I do recall is that their elective bodies have very very large numbers of political parties and those parties usually reflect local politics more than national politics.

Which I guess would make a national character harder to see, even if you were pretty informed about things?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
indian politics is very regional and different states will have varying levels of state support. the indian welfare state is threadbare, but you can get things like free (if crappy) education and subsidized medical care if your income level is low and you're lucky to live in a place where it's been robustly implemented and not been stripped away (again, extremely high variance from region to region, and across rural/urban divides within regions). the central government is historically weak and relies on links with local muscle/patronage politicians to build support but i think this may have been changing recently with the BJP using its huge sums of cash to just buy up regionalist politicians.

i would say things are less "neoliberal" because that implies some kind of erosion from a priorly strong base and more like "19th century industrial revolution levels of horrific working conditions, living conditions, widespread malnourishment and oppression".

that said modi has been trying to liberalize even basic things like farm subsidies (whose implementation again varies regionally) - india has millions of small plot peasant landholders and modi clearly wants those people driven out and farmland consolidated under agribusiness conglomerates run by his pals, which qualifies as neoliberalism i guess. those "reforms" failed but they'll try again.

also if you define neoliberalism as "oligarchs with insider access get stuff" then there's that happening too, prior state monopolies such as telecoms, commodities are being given over to oligarchs

mila kunis has issued a correction as of 19:17 on Dec 31, 2022

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

mawarannahr posted:

(why don’t they put an article before nato anyway? I thought the nato loves articles ).

i think the rule is that acronyms you say as words (nato, nasa, opec) do not get articles, acronyms where you say the letters (un, imf) do get articles.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

lobster shirt posted:

acronyms where you say the letters (un, imf) do get articles.

Initialisms

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

exmarx posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxH4PoG5z1o

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Ranter posted:

Initialisms

dont care

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/sgmworldnews/status/1609008735128817664?s=46&t=tpV4D24ZRBjMdYLFni8wbg

Lol

Lmao

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

lobster shirt posted:

i think the rule is that acronyms you say as words (nato, nasa, opec) do not get articles, acronyms where you say the letters (un, imf) do get articles.

The cia however likes to go by just “cia” which is not the most wild thing they do but still weird

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

china selling their poo poo at a massive loss to make ASML and TSMC go under would be infinitely funny

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
also pretty sure those are marx-engels collected works on xi's shelf

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

exmarx posted:

You're 6 months out bro.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Best Friends posted:

The cia however likes to go by just “cia” which is not the most wild thing they do but still weird

it’s a really good tell

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

sucks to your ASML

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/chenweihua/status/1609137764360159233

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sorry Chen this is a one way street

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Cambridge University lmao

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

mila kunis posted:

indian politics is very regional and different states will have varying levels of state support. the indian welfare state is threadbare, but you can get things like free (if crappy) education and subsidized medical care if your income level is low and you're lucky to live in a place where it's been robustly implemented and not been stripped away (again, extremely high variance from region to region, and across rural/urban divides within regions). the central government is historically weak and relies on links with local muscle/patronage politicians to build support but i think this may have been changing recently with the BJP using its huge sums of cash to just buy up regionalist politicians.

i would say things are less "neoliberal" because that implies some kind of erosion from a priorly strong base and more like "19th century industrial revolution levels of horrific working conditions, living conditions, widespread malnourishment and oppression".

that said modi has been trying to liberalize even basic things like farm subsidies (whose implementation again varies regionally) - india has millions of small plot peasant landholders and modi clearly wants those people driven out and farmland consolidated under agribusiness conglomerates run by his pals, which qualifies as neoliberalism i guess. those "reforms" failed but they'll try again.

also if you define neoliberalism as "oligarchs with insider access get stuff" then there's that happening too, prior state monopolies such as telecoms, commodities are being given over to oligarchs

Its a federal country. The central government will always be weaker than a unitary state lol. And yes things are eroding because Modi is systematically rolling back things like farming subsidies, the WPA style rural works program etc that brought enough rural people out of poverty that there was a labor crunch in seasonal labor - essentially inverting trends that had been common since the Raj had been laying down railroads. Technically you can go to a government hospital and get treated for cheap but marketbrains means that people will pay for the premium option even if it is all around worse. Places like Southern india where the trend is buckled essentially has a generation+ of people who have grown up under less-than-shoddy state capacity and generally are aware that marketizing everything isn't better.

There was a reddit post on how some dude's cleaning lady's brother attempted suicide and she was begging them for a years salary in advance so that he could go to a private hospital and be treated. Now this was next to new delhi so they drove the guy there in a government ambulance to a government hospital, had the girl sign a waiver that the hospital would not me responsible for the brother's death and then pumped his stomach while not charging anything for the service. This woman was ready to sell herself into peonage because she wouldn't go to the government hospital - because if it was free it was bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

quote:

[...]

In just a few years, the state managed to improve air quality, contain dissent, and restructure local industry. Much of this was achieved through top-down, 'blunt force' solutions, such as forcibly shuttering or destroying polluting factories. This book argues that China's blunt force regulation is actually a sign of weak state capacity and ineffective bureaucratic control. Integrating case studies with quantitative evidence, it shows how widespread industry shutdowns are used, not to scare polluters into respecting pollution standards, but to scare bureaucrats into respecting central orders. These measures have improved air quality in almost all Chinese cities, but at immense social and economic cost.

[...]

why didn't the prc bend to the whims of industry, why must they slap away the invisible hand of market forces :qq: