Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

FlapYoJacks posted:

you know what doesn’t have a messed up timer app? iPhone. stop using andoird :smug:

you mean "copying Apple again" because only setting a single timer is an iPhone peculiarity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

~Coxy posted:

you mean "copying Apple again" because only setting a single timer is an iPhone peculiarity

you can set mulitple, you just have to do it with siri

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
setting multiple timers is also how they upsell you into getting an apple watch

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

you can set mulitple, you just have to do it with siri

lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the android time app is superior to ios' in just about every way. which is weird, because there is so little to them that one would think you'd quickly converge on something very similar.

main feature i'd like ios to add is the contextual "cancel the next one" notification which shows up for daily alarms like 2 hours before they go off. nice little morning convenience. but perhaps that would have to also involve ios not being weird about when notifications get to show.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
remember when ios tried to replace the timer interface with the numpad

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

burnt the food because the timer on the Google clock app (which I had to download a new app for because the default one from OnePlus updated and no longer let's you set more than one at a time) didn't have notifications enabled on the alarm only went off if the phone was unlocked when it expired

fuckin' Google :rolleyes:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol that sucks. “hmm people will definitely want their timer notifications to not go off or go off on a delay. this is a normal thing for a timer to do.“- google

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

didn't have notifications enabled on the alarm only went off if the phone was unlocked when it expired

lmao

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

burnt the food because the timer on the Google clock app (which I had to download a new app for because the default one from OnePlus updated and no longer let's you set more than one at a time) didn't have notifications enabled on the alarm only went off if the phone was unlocked when it expired

bad workman blames his tools. shameful

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

git apologist posted:

bad workman blames his tools. shameful

but what if the tools dont work?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the android time app is superior to ios' in just about every way.

of course it is, all clock-adjacent android functionality has received thorough atten-

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Last Chance posted:

but what if the tools dont work?

you should be a better workman, make up the deficit

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

infernal machines posted:

you should be a better workman, make up the deficit

:hmmyes:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Agile Vector posted:

of course it is, all clock-adjacent android functionality has received thorough atten-

it was very timely. but manufacturers going out of their way to gently caress things up is a separate issue, much larger than timers. the stock app is pretty good when installed stock.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

stock apps will likely be in the position to grant themselves precise timers as well as the ability to interrupt sleep more often and do other stuff specific to the phone's build without having to bug the user.

I think there are even some permissions that you can't ever have unless you've got vendor/oem privileges.

But anything that is remotely related to power, particularly those that can interrupt sleep or set precise timers, will typically need the user's help to tell Android not to powermanage the app. It's pretty ridiculous, but modern Android gets a lot of battery life by basically sleeping all the time in big chunks.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://developer.android.com/training/scheduling/alarms#exact-permission-declare

I think it's this.

And if your app is too old to know about this stuff, then I think it simply just doesn't work as needed and either you need to install a different app or forward port it (if it's open source) to get it to work.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

really though a good clock app is not rocket science and should be stock and standard. incomprehensible

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it is standard, unless the anroid oem decides to gently caress it up by making their own ios-like one.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

even a broken clock is right twice a day…

…except on anroid!!!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

it was very timely. but manufacturers going out of their way to gently caress things up is a separate issue, much larger than timers. the stock app is pretty good when installed stock.

which is a fair point. manufacturers would be better off if all they did was reskin them, instead of forcing an install and permissions dance due to their 'our devs got bored' versions

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
yeah, i have plenty of fun android problems but "nonfunctional clock/timer" isn't one of them, sorry about your garbage oneplus phone.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
that said google has redesigned the timer app once a year or maybe more. feels like every time i need a fuckin timer the interface is different.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

it asked me for notification permissions the next time i opened the clock app :negative:

Jabor posted:

it is standard, unless the anroid oem decides to gently caress it up by making their own ios-like one.

idk what it about android manufacturers and feeling the need to gently caress with everything but every single one I've had has done it.

also peep the insane number of references in it, this is scrolled down!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

idk what it about android manufacturers and feeling the need to gently caress with everything but every single one I've had has done it.

android manufacturers have the same problem windows computers makers had years earlier. they sell hardware that runs a generic OS. the customers buy an android phone, the manufacturer doesn’t matter. this leads to a race to the bottom for margins.

customization is their attempt to own the customer experience, converting them from android customers to samsung or whatever customers. does it work? sort of. objectively their experience is almost always worse than the stock one. but there are actually people out there who know they have a “galaxy phone” and therefore can’t look at other makers who are weird and different from what they are used to.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

and they are all different, there's no such thing as consistency in the UI, so expect to re-learn all your common workflows every time you change phones. also every time you update the os. also none of the apps work the same or use any kind of consistent visual style, so you'll just have to figure it out for every different app you use too

this is the price of freedom

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah can't wait for the same race-to-the-bottom crapfest to happen with SteamOS portable consoles lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

honestly, samsung's biggest sin is insisting that they need to put their own version of every app alongside the stock ones google requires be included on an android phone, so you end up with two browsers, two email apps, two contacts, etc.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

honestly, samsung's biggest sin is insisting that they need to put their own version of every app alongside the stock ones google requires be included on an android phone, so you end up with two browsers, two email apps, two contacts, etc.

bixby too, don't forget that thing

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Endless Mike posted:

Yes google really should remove all that junk

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

android really is a fantastic example of open source working only for the big corporations. if fragmentation was such that different manufacturers had their own aosp spin and if i felt e.g. sony was more trustworthy and competent i could go with them it'd be great. messy, but great.

in reality things are "free" enough that open source people volunteer tons of work for it, that it gets good pr and apparent tweakability, but no fork which is not in reality fully controlled by google has any impact or penetration at all. like you get one person here ot there running lineageos or whatever feeling real smug, but they're overall contributing *more* to the hegemony (as those small forks doing way more aosp work per user than anyone else) while patting themselves on the back for denying google a few cents worth of information.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

infernal machines posted:

and they are all different, there's no such thing as consistency in the UI, so expect to re-learn all your common workflows every time you change phones. also every time you update the os. also none of the apps work the same or use any kind of consistent visual style, so you'll just have to figure it out for every different app you use too

this is the price of freedom

it's not even consistent between goddamn versions. you used to (on android 12 I think) be able to access the wallet app via the lock screen by (long?) pressing the power button, but that's been removed in 13 and the default is to have unlock, swipe down, select wallet or set the wallet and NFC payments to be running constantly what the gently caress

you can change the stupid "Google assistant" icon on lock to open the wallet from lock but that's not obvious

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

or set the wallet and NFC payments to be running constantly what the gently caress

I can’t believe that it’s 15 years later and google is still using the same braindead process lifecycle model instead of copying the iphone way of launch-on-demand and idle-exiting applications.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

android really is a fantastic example of open source working only for the big corporations. if fragmentation was such that different manufacturers had their own aosp spin and if i felt e.g. sony was more trustworthy and competent i could go with them it'd be great. messy, but great.

in reality things are "free" enough that open source people volunteer tons of work for it, that it gets good pr and apparent tweakability, but no fork which is not in reality fully controlled by google has any impact or penetration at all. like you get one person here ot there running lineageos or whatever feeling real smug, but they're overall contributing *more* to the hegemony (as those small forks doing way more aosp work per user than anyone else) while patting themselves on the back for denying google a few cents worth of information.

no one is using lineageos without installing google services to actually make it useful as a phone, so google still gets those few cents worth of information lol

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

it's not even consistent between goddamn versions. you used to (on android 12 I think) be able to access the wallet app via the lock screen by (long?) pressing the power button, but that's been removed in 13 and the default is to have unlock, swipe down, select wallet or set the wallet and NFC payments to be running constantly what the gently caress

you can change the stupid "Google assistant" icon on lock to open the wallet from lock but that's not obvious

lol. lmao.

i seriously did not know how stupid that process is on (only recent?) android, vs. ios "press a button twice and authenticate by either looking at the phone or keeping your fingerprint on the same button"

though of course i usually double-press the side button on my watch and hold it to the reader, except for the one store which has finicky nfc readers that require holding the card/device exactly still for 3-4 seconds and its more awkward to do that with my watch vs. phone

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I mean look at this poo poo in the settings:

I guess the first group sort of makes sense because it's network related, but why is apps in the section related to security? why is sound in a section with wallpaper? why is none of it alphabetised???

e: why is there an "accounts" item that does not list your Google account and that is instead on an option called "Google"?

why is there a section for "parental controls" and then another one under "special features"called "kids space"

who looks at this and thinks "yes, this is a sensible UI"?

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 31, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

why is apps in the section related to security?

because the most important app-related settings concern whether they can read all your data and spy on you

why is sound in a section with wallpaper?

these are both related to the look and feel of the human interface

why is none of it alphabetised???

why should it be?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
this is almost identical to the ios settings app. except the iOS one comes with an ad for Apple Arcade at the top

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
this is the only settings panel i need:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Smythe posted:

this is the only settings panel i need:

:hmmyes: