Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Canopus250 posted:

Yeah, unless they massively changed something doomfunk is 100% correct. Rashidi factors into the ending of OB64 specifically and goddamn I wish there had been more games in this series.

It's really unfortunate that they just made them churn out FF Tactics games until they burned Matsuno out on FF12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LiefKatano posted:

Auto-skills can mostly stay, but defensive auto-skills are an absolute pain in the rear end when enemies use them.

My experience with the psp port is that enemies would spam said skills when they were almost dead so now it is just inconsistent if it happens rather then a certainty.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

One other small gripe (again about a game that I have overall been enjoying immensely): I really wish 1-2 range spears were still available at endgame. I liked how One Vision did it, where you could use crafting to change from 1-2 range to 2-3 range, but in the absence of that I wish they'd just picked a couple of the late/endgame spears and made them 1-2 range. I don't even really care which ones. Holy Lance, Tlaloc's Bolt, Pavana, Dark Spear, Cursed Spear, whichever, just pick a couple and make them 1-2 range and I'd be happy.

In general I like 2-3 range spears. I think you gain more than you lose with those. I'd just like to have the option for 1-2 range if I wanted it--for example, on a tanky Lord build who I want to have in the thick of things but I also want to have Giga Tempest and Spiral Scourge on. Being able to hit right next to himself (without a finisher or Berserk) would be more useful to him than being able to hit 3 tiles away.

These are things I'll look forward to eventual mods for when I inevitably replay this game on a regular basis.

Stuff like this and the sheer lack of 1handed bow/crossbow weapons is just puzzling. The devs seemed to recognize the lack of one handed bow/xbows too by changing some of the craftables to be one handed. But I guess they couldn't find the time to change any of the PotD / San Brosa drops.

And then they went out of their way to limit how cursed weapons work too. iirc in the psp version cursed weapons could be used as one or two handed weapons, but not anymore in Reborn.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I have to wonder what kind of trouble in development led to the specific oversights that ended up in this game. Maybe its just as simple as looming deadline and not enough money

I suppose given what they were starting with, they had a lot of room to mess up and still land on "very good game"

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

LiefKatano posted:

I kinda wish they kept the old magic and skills systems rather than overhauling them like they did.

There's absolutely some bias here (I like buying skills and making builds, and I like status effects (at least conceptually :v:) and having options) and there could absolutely be some nostalgia goggles, but it's like the one part of Reborn I just flat-out dislike. Which sucks because if I do wanna indulge in that the PSP version is... way less friendly otherwise.

Auto-skills can mostly stay, but defensive auto-skills are an absolute pain in the rear end when enemies use them.

I like the skills, but I do wish magic wasn't so homogenized. The six main elements all have identical kits except for Tornado keeping its facing randomization, and it's really boring. I wish they'd given each one a status effect or something so there'd be at least some differentiation between them.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
it's entirely possible that they discovered it in testing, found that it was more difficult to pin down the cause of than it seemed, spent weeks trying to fix this one bug, and determined it below a ship-blocking priority. it's also entirely possible they just missed it or it seemed intentional to QA or all bugs on it were entered as feedback and disregarded. too many scenarios to count.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Has anyone noticed that Blessing Stone revivals can sometimes not occur immediately after they're used? I am watching the AI struggle through this one battle, to the point that they had to do a revival chain. One character uses the blessing stone, them moves elsewhere. Next character has their turn, and revives someone else. That someone else wakes up, has their turn, then the first person who was revived wakes up and has their turn.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zurai posted:

I like the skills, but I do wish magic wasn't so homogenized. The six main elements all have identical kits except for Tornado keeping its facing randomization, and it's really boring. I wish they'd given each one a status effect or something so there'd be at least some differentiation between them.

Each element had a bunch of other spells in the psp version that would apply buffs / debuffs
eg earth could slow multiple units, water had an aoe poison removal + weak heal, air had an aoe sleep, etc

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if the modding is simple and if new spells can be added at all, then all those effects are still in the game.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Finished the game on the cusp of the New Year, giving me one more completion in 2022. I first played the PlayStation version of the game when I was around 15 and it spawned many beloved D&D games, so the revised music in this one was a huge nostalgia bomb for me. I absolutely loved the remake, from the VA to the combat changes. The only downside is that now I feel a little sad that we never got to see a sequel to give Lodis a well-deserved thrashing.

Many feels for this very beloved game from my youth.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Each element had a bunch of other spells in the psp version that would apply buffs / debuffs
eg earth could slow multiple units, water had an aoe poison removal + weak heal, air had an aoe sleep, etc

Yeah I think they've tried that a few times throughout the series and the problem is that there are just too many elements. You can sort of see it with the dragon breaths where 50% of them are pretty useless while the others are really good.

Knight of Lodis gave each school 1 buff and 1 debuff and some effects are super niche and then they diluted it more by having ninja spells and war dances with those effects which almost nobody uses.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

There are a few ways to make the varations not suck. For one: make stat down buffs really matter, more than their variants currently do.. Maybe rework frightened cause a unit to skip their turn and spend it retreating. And also fold some of the stat downs into one.

Water: Sleep (*maybe* auto crit when attacked)
Earth: Poison
Fire: Attack Down (physical and magical, including healing)
Wind: Accuracy/evasion Down (physical and magical)
Lightning: Stun
Ice: Slow
Divine: Physical/Magic Defense Down
Dark: Charm

Something like that.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I can't believe I never looked at the description of the charm spell until now. Lascivious gaze, lol.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Don't mind me, im just undressing this golem with my eyes to turn it against my foes

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Prowler posted:

Has anyone noticed that Blessing Stone revivals can sometimes not occur immediately after they're used? I am watching the AI struggle through this one battle, to the point that they had to do a revival chain. One character uses the blessing stone, them moves elsewhere. Next character has their turn, and revives someone else. That someone else wakes up, has their turn, then the first person who was revived wakes up and has their turn.

When you revive someone with a Blessing Stone, their RT is set to 0. This normally means they take their turn immediately.

However, it's entirely possible that you already have someone else with an RT of 0. Ally or Enemy. In which case, the revived person may or may not go next.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021
Finally: Rudlum let me cock block his suicidal walk advance toward enemies and let me beat PotD Level 2 with him recruited.

Now to get the portal door unlocked so I can get Deneb and finish Chaos to start WORLDing before doing PotD/CODA. :911:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I think the status effect spells were a victim of the enhanced AI just like Rogues.

Tactics Ogre has always wanted you to use the AI either partially or fully to help speed up the battles.

In the PSP version you'd see something like a 6% chance to shackle or slow or whatever and the AI would spam that poo poo like it was a 90% chance.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
I think I'd buy that. iirc the AI (at least your AI) doesn't play super-nicely with using the statuses that are in the game still (if nothing else I'm pretty sure they don't use Boon of Swiftness at all), so it could be that they weren't able to get the AI using the status effects smartly enough to justify keeping them.

That and/or the four-spell limit, which would (in my mind) make people even less willing to try using them, since they're taking up a slot you could use for spells that actively murder things.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021
Where are the Relics? In the Red off-the-beaten-path areas that have popped up on the way to PotD? I finally unlocked the ability to upgrade them, but don't have any.

Also apparently you need two of one to do an upgrade, yeah? I'm needing at least 6/3 for Deneb recruiting?

Edit: Oh nevermind, https://www.dualshockers.com/tactics-ogre-reborn-how-find-upgrade-relics/ answers it.

AnonymouseNo5 fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 2, 2023

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

LiefKatano posted:

That and/or the four-spell limit, which would (in my mind) make people even less willing to try using them, since they're taking up a slot you could use for spells that actively murder things.

For the vast majority of the game, you're stuck with 3 spells of your element because that's all that exists. Actually, I think you're just stuck with 2 because Valkyries don't get the indirect spells and Wizards/Warlocks don't get the infuse spells. You don't get the 4th and 5th spells (apocryphas and summons) until the very end of Chapter 4. The 4-slot limit should in no way be a reason for removing the elemental status spells.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Any tips on the final boss fight? The two phases were so frustrating that I had to go to an earlier, pre-Hanging Gardens save file to farm crafting materials for better gear, weapons and MP items.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Equeen posted:

Any tips on the final boss fight? The two phases were so frustrating that I had to go to an earlier, pre-Hanging Gardens save file to farm crafting materials for better gear, weapons and MP items.

I had grenadiers with max weapon skills and corresponding weapon earrings with a full complement of bombs, that gave me an easy time of it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I found the first phase a lot easier if I intentionally brought fewer than the max number of units. It's a balancing act because you want to bring enough for the second phase. I think I brought 8 or 9 units total? That said on my successful attempt I also lucked out and the boss didn't pop Risk Management on the first turn, which made it much easier to nuke him down quickly.

And yes, seconding grenadiers. I had a couple units with Lobber and weapon skill earrings and they did a lot of damage with their bombs.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Equeen posted:

If you have Lord Denam, you can cheese it with him solo by giving him Phalanx, First Aid, Meditate. idk maybe use Mother's Mercy as your 4th to cleanse debuffs. Just run around and grab the auto skill cards and you can't really lose once you have 2-3 of them.

The boss is vulnerable to stun!
Use consumables to apply and maintain debuffs. Keeping weakened up in p2 will make your life a lot easier. Breach, enfeeble and spoilspell are also good.
In p2 don't worry too much about chasing the boss around the arena. Just do damage with whoever is closest since it will teleport at the start of their turn.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Thanks for tips! But it may a while before I apply them to my next attempt lol

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Equeen posted:

Use Items, fill everyone's slots. I went in with a bunch of mending salve, blessing stones, and two clerics. After defeating all the clones in phase 1, I was able to get the whole team back up to 80% health. With that much hp intact the final phase was pretty simple.
The only other thing to keep in mind is the second phase spaces apart everyone according to their placement in the battle party. You can place troops evenly across the party like it's a single looping line to get more even placement against the boss.
e.g. the first row is numbers 1-4, second row is 5-8 etc..

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Oh, I also remember ozma came in clutch in the 1st stage of the final boss by using intimidate to get rid of that damage avoidance skill he uses. If nothing else you could have ozma and juggernauts near him to knock that off, and then go for the kill.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

The clones are a distraction in phase 1. They all go away at the start of phase 2. Just bum-rush the boss.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Been thinking about the story and it occurred to me that Law Denam has basically the same arc as Cecil from FFIV. The games even do the same thing of having the character stand by/preside over an atrocity early in the game without actually killing innocents themselves because that would ruin any chance of players sympathizing with them going forward. The main difference is that most of Cecil's bad guy times are before the game starts and therefore off screen, while Denam's only happens based on player choice.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Zurai posted:

The clones are a distraction in phase 1. They all go away at the start of phase 2. Just bum-rush the boss.

This

First time through I just spammed all my spare Dragon orbs.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

waah posted:

Yes. I got them mixed up. Tactics ogre was is the one that begins with the letter A.

OB64 has Rashidi

The only solution is for new Ogre Battle games to be created.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Evil Fluffy posted:

The only solution is for new Ogre Battle games to be created.

I want to hear every battle start with a canned "fight it out" sound.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

jokes posted:

I want to hear every battle start with a canned "fight it out" sound.

The tinnier and more compressed, the better

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

they should do a New Ogre Battle with Fight It Out voice clips so the Tik Tokkers can use it

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Finally defeated final boss! Which route should I do next to get all Coda episodes, Law or Neutral? My first route was Chaotic with the Princess ending, btw.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021
Dumb question: If I don't retreat from a battle in PotD, can I redo the battle for relic drops later or is it done forever?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

Dumb question: If I don't retreat from a battle in PotD, can I redo the battle for relic drops later or is it done forever?

Unless it's a story battle you can come back again. It can be a slog to get there though

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

Equeen posted:

Finally defeated final boss! Which route should I do next to get all Coda episodes, Law or Neutral? My first route was Chaotic with the Princess ending, btw.

iirc you'll need to do Law-Princess in order to complete all of the Codas

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

LiefKatano posted:

iirc you'll need to do Law-Princess in order to complete all of the Codas

Yes, I’m currently considering doing Neutral to get Lord Denam, then Law Princess ending (and possibly completing PotD).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

Mr. Lobe posted:

Unless it's a story battle you can come back again. It can be a slog to get there though

Apparently, I can't redo them DURING the dive currently. I have to leave and then come back, yeah?

I didn't get one of the relics on level 7, and I'm trying to grind out 3 relics (x2) to get Deneb done/recruited.