Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

CelticPredator posted:

I think it owns. Netflix stinks. Give Craig and Johnson your money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The problem here is what happens to everyone else who isn't one of these big named guys when the costs aren't covered.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I prefer they give a billion dollars to Johnson and Craig instead of whatever bigoted assholes Hastings wants to use to piss off the libs today.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Reminder that Netflix was also bidding against Apple and Amazon to get the rights to these sequels, which is partly why the cost was so high.

And the original film made like $300 million on a budget of $40 million.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’d have seen it in theaters if any of the ones locally had shown it. I still need to watch it but the holidays were busy. An alternative to Avatar 2 for our traditional Christmas Eve theater trip would have been appreciated.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The problem here is what happens to everyone else who isn't one of these big named guys when the costs aren't covered.

They get to be in a cool movie? Idk. I doubt Johnson asked for that lol. Netflix is like yo you guys want money to make these for us?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
If Netflix's poor purchasing decisions lead to good movies it's a good thing. If it leads to bad movies, well,

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Seems impossible for Rian Johnson to make a good movie

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
They offered Craig 30 million, to which he said "okay, but then I won't do the accent."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I believe there was bidding and Netflix just jumped in with an absurd number and chased everyone off, but also everyone else was laughing because that's just a stupid amount of money.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Seems impossible for Rian Johnson to make a good movie

He’s made five good movies and one forgettable one with Brothers Bloom.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The only Rian Johnson movies I’ve seen are Looper and The Last Jedi. Both were terrible. Therefore statistics show he is terrible 100% of the time.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

galagazombie posted:

The only Rian Johnson movies I’ve seen are Looper and The Last Jedi. Both were terrible. Therefore statistics show he is terrible 100% of the time.

Brick is... okay?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

There's a non-zero chance Johnson post here.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

In opposite world or what

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The MSJ posted:

He probably advocated for the Blockbuster sub forum.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Brick is... okay?

Brick is the kind of movie where if I had seen it when I was 15 it probably would have been my favorite movie ever. As is, I thought it was still pretty good. Way better than Brothers Bloom. Or most of his other movies, honestly. Probably second after Knives Out.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Casimir Radon posted:

I’d have seen it in theaters if any of the ones locally had shown it. I still need to watch it but the holidays were busy. An alternative to Avatar 2 for our traditional Christmas Eve theater trip would have been appreciated.
I mean Netflix straight up refused to extend the theatrical run of the movie beyond a week. The theater chains were trying to get them to do it but they wouldn't.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

Brick is the kind of movie where if I had seen it when I was 15 it probably would have been my favorite movie ever. As is, I thought it was still pretty good. Way better than Brothers Bloom. Or most of his other movies, honestly. Probably second after Knives Out.

yeah i did see it when i was around that age and i loved it. in hindsight it's very gimmicky and most of the good parts are Miller's Crossing/The Glass Key/The Maltese Falcon with the serial numbers filed off, but hey.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The MSJ posted:

Someone called me Rian Johnson as an insult once

I wish I was Rian Johnson lmfao

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

daniel craig should have gotten 50 million for layer cake, that movie is great

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Orange Carlisle posted:

daniel craig should have gotten 50 million for layer cake, that movie is great

That movie's whole cast is lightning in a bottle perfect.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i didn't know reed hastings paid US$469M for a film that accidentally owns his good pal elon musk lmao

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Whenever I read about how much Netflix paid for something, all I can think is how many more seasons of American Vandal we could've gotten.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Tars Tarkas posted:

Noted ding dong Ben Shapiro hated Glass Onion and it became a big twitter thing - https://www.thewrap.com/ben-shapiro-glass-onion-twitter-thread-reactions/

Then everyone kept making fun of Ben Shapiro

https://twitter.com/AtomMurray/status/1607424111017623552

Glass Onion I watched last night, I liked it despite it being a big example of the spending excess that got Netflix in trouble.

Someone earlier recommended Puss in Boots 2, it looks awesome and I'll probably pounce on that once it hits video, glad to hear it holds up.

It's end of the year time so I'll start writing a new OP for 2023, feel free to shoot title and thread suggestions as I catch up on upcoming questionable movie news

Imagine being so talentless you can’t even fail upwards in Hollywood.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
I just hope Johnson and Craig were paid upfront. Given how things have been going, it seems very possible that Netflix might not be around in 2 years when the next movie is finished.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

No one caring about Little Ben’s comedy about Harvard Law is certainly part of his villain origin story.

Also if that’s the interview I think it is, Benny identifies Bill Cosby as a conservative comedian.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I mean he's not totally wrong about that

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

No takesies backsies Benny.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Fox News: “Andrew Tate (D-Romania) was arrested today. Could he be part of a liberal Dracula cabal?”

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Casimir Radon posted:

No one caring about Little Ben’s comedy about Harvard Law is certainly part of his villain origin story.

Also if that’s the interview I think it is, Benny identifies Bill Cosby as a conservative comedian.

Conservatives loved Bill Cosby as someone who was telling black kids to pull up their pants and whatnot. That kind of faded once all the allegations and proof came out

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Wasn't the whole Hannibal Buress bit about how Bill Cosby needs to stop criticizing black people for harmless poo poo when he's a rapist?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Even before that became common knowledge, I remember Cosby being self-righteous about how shameful it was people were causing property damage during the early 2000's Cincinnati police riots.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Cosby, Weinstein, and Lance Armstrong are all prime examples of how much you can get away with when you’re rich.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Casimir Radon posted:

Cosby, Weinstein, and Lance Armstrong are all prime examples of how much you can get away with when you’re rich.

Wait was Lance also a rapist? Like he doped and all but that’s a different level to get included with the other two.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

galagazombie posted:

Wait was Lance also a rapist? Like he doped and all but that’s a different level to get included with the other two.
Not that I know of. I was more talking about how it turned out all the anti-doping stuff that was supposed to occur didn’t because he was rich and connected. Cosby admitted to rape and got a sweetheart deal that eventually got him out of prison where he should have died. The normal rules go out the window when you have money.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I feel like there's a ton of references to Brothers Bloom in Glass Onion and feel like it's the one movie Johnson keeps coming back to, personally.

If nothing else I knew at least one character in Glass Onion didn't die [spoiler]because the entire time all I could think about was the thing in Brothers Bloom where they discuss the difference between stage blood and real blood.[spoiler]

Chemtrailologist posted:

Whenever I read about how much Netflix paid for something, all I can think is how many more seasons of American Vandal we could've gotten.

The guys that did American Vandal have an enjoyable sendup of eSports that's done in a very similar vein called "Players" on Paramount+. It's not quite American Vandal but it's almost as good.

Driftingmouse
May 26, 2021

by Fritz the Horse
For a thread title for Who Greenlighted? for 2023, how about Who Greenlighted 2023? The 5th of Indy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Netflix's Matlida musical is a lot of fun but their desperation in trying to create a Roald Dahl Cinematic Universe with the production logo at the beginning is palpable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Driftingmouse posted:

For a thread title for Who Greenlighted? for 2023, how about Who Greenlighted 2023? The 5th of Indy.

Don’t touch that Dial of Destiny